Teacher & Student Tournament PHASE IV -- We're posting decklists!!!

429 posts / 0 new
Last post
IMAGE(http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/nerukaaa/Other/StandardTeacherStudentbanner.jpg)

GREETINGS PERSONS

The Teachers have been Paired with Students, and Training is Underway!!! Everyone will have two weeks starting Friday the 27th of February until March 13 (another Friday) to train.

On March 13, the first tournament begins!
It will be a tournament primarily focused on the deck-building skills of the students, which is a large part of the overall competition. Each student will build his/her own unique deck. There are no restrictions other than the deck must be Standard Legal. The tournament will be Swiss, and afterwards, the decklists will be judged by our Teachers and Glux for innovation. NOT how good the decklists are. Then the judges will submit ratings to me, and points will be added/deducted based on the ratings. These points will affect the overall score for each Student/Teacher pair. Expect Tier 1 decks to be marked off the most, and other decks to be marked off less. Uniqueness will then be rewarded points. The exact point scale will be determined largely by the percentage of each deck type that appears in the tournament. Therefore, the scale will depend on the entire set of decklists submitted by the students.

Winning is still very important in this tournament however. So make sure your deck is good enough to win!

Approximately two weeks after the first tournament, a second tournament will take place. This will be a completely normal tournament and Swiss.

RedChocobo's original thread on the tournament:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1143743

These are left over student applications, which I will keep here just in case anyone wants to look through them. However no more student/teacher pairs will be accepted into the tournament. Sorry. There may be opportunities later.

Student applications (TOTAL 21)

I've added certain KEYWORDS (kind of incomplete though) that may help teachers in knowing what students REALLY want to learn about. I'll have to explain some of them.
"Win" means the student has expressed a desire to enhance their competitive game or play tighter. These students want to level up.
"Deckbuild" includes a desire to learn how to evaluate individual cards
BUT IN GENERAL, I think the students want to learn just about eveything they can... however some seem more confident in their deckbuilding skills than their playing skills and vice-versa. Some students are also not complete noobs whereas others are. I'll let you decide which ones.

Ouphe: Deckbuild, Decktweak
Name: Jake Smith.

Preferred Play Style: Aggro or tempo.

Preferred Color: Red.

Time Zones: PST. Sacramento California.

Preferred Teacher: Anyone with the knowledge to expand my playskill.

Preferred Deck:Right now I play RDW and Boat Brew. I think ive reached what I consider the optimal builds with those and i've won the past four standard fnm's but that isn't necessarily saying anything at all.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": I use it about once a week. Not a MWS ninja yet.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Original deck building mostly; being able to find the more optimal lists for already determined archetypes;great/playable card identification.

When did you start playing?: Seventh edition, but I was about ten. I came back and started playing comp. right after the Lorwyn release.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Thats hard for me to determine about myself. I would assume the ability to predict what my opponent is going to do based on the deck they are playing/ analyzing the board well enough to see all of the possible plays/ setting myself up to played forced misplays. Happens sometimes.

Alienfinger79: Pilot -- DROPPED OUT

Name: Laurids Rye

Preferred Play Style: Aggro, control or combo, whatever strikes my fancy. I'm better at building offensively minded decks (combo/aggro) than I am at building control though.

Preferred Color: Whatever.

Time Zones: GMT +1 (Copenhagen, Paris, Berlin)

Preferred Teacher: Whomever.

Preffered Student: Someone looking for more theoretical than practical lessons.

Preferred Deck: Either.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yes

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Technical play skill, especially aggro and control. When to extend and when to be patient.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: Theory. Why a certain deck ticks, why another blows. Deckbuilding skills, generally. I.e. I can't tell you how to play Sligh correctly, but I can tell you how to build it, why it works and what it works against.

When did you start playing?: I started playing in... 98'ish...? But that was strictly kitchen-table. Started actually learning about the game and formats and such back around Kamigawa.

Strengths and weaknesses: I think I covered that already.

Thoughtmage: Decktweak, Other
Name: Jacob Marlowe
Preferred Playstyle: Control, but can handle the other styles as well.
Time Zone: Eastern
Preferred Teacher: Someone who is alive and good, I'm not picky.
Preferred Deck: With a bit of practice, anything. But I prefer either RG aggro or Ux-control.
Experience with MWS: Yes.
When Did You Start Playing: Sometime during Guildpact.
Admiring Qualities: Quick learner, works well with others, disciplined, and I take things in stride and don't worry much.
Less Than Admiring Qualities: Working on self confidence, a bit stubborn, and I try to take a statistical or scientific approach on almost everything.
What I wish to learn: How to compare card options for a slot in a deck better, and some other stuff that's up to my teacher.

The_Puppetmaster: Pilot Complex
Name:
Drew Walker

Preferred Play Style:
Aggro-control, Aggro-combo

Preferred Color(s):
would be great, but usually wins out because of its playstyle.

Time Zones:
PST, nights after 7pm. Some weekends.

Preferred Teacher:
Someone intelligent, and also capable of explaining their ideas well. I can get along with anyone, though.

Preferred Deck:
I prefer decks that require forethought to pilot, and decks that make me have to think about turns other than the current one. See "Play-style" above.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program":
I can if it's required/most helpful, but I work on a mac. I have an older windows PC I could hook up on my floor if needed.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?:
I have an image in my head of a very calculating player who takes everything into consideration during a game. For the life of me, I can't seem to get to the level of play I envision in my head.
I wouldn't be asking here if I could assess what my play issues were, and I'm sure there are things I could improve. There is always a way to improve.

When did you start playing?:
4th edition, but I was 10 when it was out, and I've taken many breaks from the game over the years. Don't think I'm a vet just because I started this game so early, because I've missed a lot.

(New Question) What are your strengths and weaknesses?:
I'd like to think I'm skilled enough to find my way out of any situation, but I sometimes get caught up in the moment enough to make mistakes. Here's the deal. In real life, I am a natural at character assessment. I can tell if someone is lying, if they are bluffing me, and with barely any information about someone, I can assess how they will react to most situations. However, I am not confident enough in my skills in Magic to bring that ability into my game. If I could, I think I'd be a lot better.

Addendum:
I'm looking for something interesting. I need a teacher who has an "outside of the box" mentality. I'm a Johnny at heart, but Spike seems to be kicking the door down. Hold on a sec' while I go deal with him... *muffled sounds from the next room*

evilone194: Win, Pilot
Name: Aaron Cohen

Preferred play style: I don't really have any. It differs a lot depending on the formant. I played solidarity and counterslivers in legacy, affinity in ext, and haven't played much standard since it was rav-tsp and then I played dredge.

Preferred Colors: None

Time Zones: Pacific time. I am open most nights of the week. about 4:30 and on.

Preferred deck: I've been toying around a lot with twinsanity and R/G warriors, but I like to test/tweak a lot of different decks

Preferred Teacher: Not to suck up, I like Islands I've been playing a lot with his leyline of singularity/hunted horror ext. deck. its pretty cool

What I am looking to learn from this: Play skill in general. I'm not a horrible player, but I would like to take it to the next level. I've been to two PTQs, and gone 2-0 in both, then lost the next three rounds every time.

When did you start playing: I am probably too young for this, only fourteen, but I have been playing magic since I was five. I could play magic before I could fully read, I knew cards via the pictures. One of my actual earliest memories of life at all is playing magic with my father at my grandmas house with tempest preconstructed decks.

My strengths are calculations: Having spent a few years playing solidarity in legacy and affinity in extended, I've had to do a lot of slightly complicated combat math, or mana/probability calculations in solidarity, which is a frustratingly hard deck to play.

My weaknesses: I am a horrible topdecker. Jokes aside, I have bad decision making skills when it comes to things like removal, or counterspells, which is why I like combo decks a lot.

I just hope I'm not too young!! I'm extremely serious about this.

edit: I play frequently on the forbidden program, and I also have AIM, and can get MSN easily if necessary.

dyzzy: Matchups, Timing, Sideboard
Name: d as in David

Preferred Play Style: I'm very good at aggro (at least I think I am), but I want to learn how to play control/mid-range.

Preferred Color: In this order: BURWG

Time Zones: EST

Preferred Teacher: Anyone

Preferred Deck: RDW is my main deck (currently exploring Standard mono-red burn). I'm also working on BW mid-range/control and Jund Tokens.

Do you know how to use the "Forbidden Program": If this refers to A certain program, then yes (but I haven't touched it in years). If it refers to soMe other Wonderfully Secret program, then no.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Matchups, sideboard tech, timing plays.

When did you start playing?: Ice Age - Mirrodin very casually, quit until Alara, and now trying to get competitive (to the extent of at least doing well in FNM).

Strengths: I'm a very quick learner and good listener.

Weaknesses: Sometimes I won't listen to your advice immediately if it's contradictory to what I think is right or what others have told me (ex. I have Card A maindecked but you say it's bad and I should replace it with Card B). Then I just need to see for myself why you're right and I'm wrong and I'll listen to you.

Flopfoot: Pilot, Deckbuild, Sideboard
Name: Flopfoot

Preferred Play Style: Aggro, combo, or casual cockroach decks.

Preferred Color: In clockwise order, starting from red.

Time Zones: Sydney, Australia (GMT +10 or +11 I think?)

Preferred Teacher: Don't mind

Preferred Deck: Dont mind

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Nope. I do have a simple program of my own creation I use for text duelling on msn or forums though.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I dunno. Correct plays, I guess? Better deckbuilding would be cool too.
Oh, I really want to learn how to use a sideboard too.

When did you start playing?: 10th edition prerelease (mid 2007)

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I never playtest enough. I use bad cards 'cause I tend to stick with what I like rather than what is proven strongest. I have no idea what to side in and out between matches. Sometimes I play too safe when it would have been better to take a risk, or vice versa.
My main strength is my memory. I remember what most of the cards in the format do, I can remember decklists of dtb so I have some idea what cards my opponent might be using, etc.

redheadedeskimo: Pilot, Deckbuild, Decktweak, Meta, Aggression
Name: Tyler Reynolds

Preferred Play Style: Midrange

Preferred Color: Blue/red/black/white/green, in order of preference.

Time Zones: Central California

Preferred Teacher: anyone

Preferred Deck: I'm really digging U/R Counterburn

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yep

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Making the correct play, learning to be more aggressive, tuning my decks for the metagame, and being able to evaluate cards correctly.

When did you start playing?: I've been playing casually for quite a while. I just started playing competitively last March I think it was.

What are you strengths?: I learn fast. I'm decent in limited, and pretty good in constructed. I'm a decent pilot.

And weaknesses?: Pretty much the fact that almost all of my strengths are surrounded by the words "decent" and "pretty good."

Federbeast: Theory, Deckbuild, Pilot
Name: Mark

Preferred Play Style: none yet

Preferred Color: none yet

Time Zones: Eastern

Preferred Teacher: any that will take me

Preferred Deck: none yet

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I would like to learn more about deck building and playing, and just general "truths" about Magic rather than specific cards/combos. I would like to break into Standard but I would like to learn more about Limited as well.

When did you start playing?: Shards of Alara

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I'm pretty decent at Limited. My biggest weakness is I am so inexperienced and I have a lot to learn.

Karthir: Deckbuild, Pilot, Win
Name: Dustin

Preferred Play Style: Midrange or control but open to anything

Preferred Color: Doesn't matter too much but black.

Time Zones: Chicago Time

Preferred Teacher: Any? Islands because of his awesome deckbuilding abilities.

Preferred Deck: None. But Rock was the most fun.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yes.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I want to become a less casual and better player. Specifically: how to make the correct play and card choices when building a list.

When did you start playing?: Right after 10th came out. Didn't play during eventide or shards but I'm back.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?:
Strengths:
I have a desire to learn and learn quickly.
I can accept that a card that I like may not fit the deck that I'm trying to build.
After seeing a dtb played for a while, knowing how he/she will react to most of my plays.

Weaknesses:
Knowing how to build to a specific meta
What to sideboard when it's not completely obvious.
Not always being able to spot good combos or cards when taking in a pool of cards all at once.

Lightning_Link7: Metagame, Deckbuild, Pilot
Name: Dan

Preferred Play Style: Anything

Preferred Color: Green/Blue

Time Zones: Eastern

Preferred Teacher: Possibly Avenged_Sixfold, since I have played him at FNMs before. If not, anyone who is a good teacher.

Preferred Deck: Naya/b Ramp (have played RDW, Fae, Esper Mannequin, and Affinity in the past)

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Meta-gaming, deckbuilding, making correct plays

When did you start playing?: 1 week before Lorwyn

What are you strengths and weaknesses?:

Strength: Playing aggro, mid-range, decent deck-building.

Weakness: Playing certain kinds of control (good with Faeries, bad with 5CC)

Soilshaperbd: Deckbuild, Metagame
Name: Ryan

Preferred Play Style: Aggro-control. Favorite decks include Red-thresh, last season's death-cloud and mana-ramp in the current standard.

Preferred Color: I generally avoid white, but that's hardly absolute.

Time Zones: Central. Available... More often than not.

Preferred Teacher: Islands or Kedi

Preferred Deck: N/A

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Deck building /metagaming. My deckbuilding style is typically to take an existing deck and to modify it in an attempt to maintain some element of surprise and to fix what I feel are weaknesses of the deck as built. For example when I played deathcloud last extended season I felt that not playing eternal witness was a mistake and played a list ~ 10 cards off from more conventional lists.

When did you start playing?: Legions.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Strength: Being able to adapt to multiple play styles.
Weaknesses: Deck building and side boarding to an extent. I find that my decks tend to work on paper a lot better than they do in practice.

Zero92835: Pilot, Win -- DROPPED
Name: Zero92835, Max

Preferred Play Style: I play everything, but I perfer aggro and combo

Preferred Color: Blue and Red

Time Zones: California, I'm available all day after like 1-2 on saturday, all day sunday, and most of the time between 3:45-5:30 or so on weekdays, but Im never available on Wednsdays

Preferred Teacher: I don't really care. Someone from 0-2 Drop would be cool though.

Preferred Deck: WW (previously Doran Rock on paper, but I'm testing MWC and Domain for fun.)

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I'm mostly looking for just baseline play improvements. I'm proficient enough to always top 4 my fnm, but I still do make mistakes.

When did you start playing?: I've been playing for 3 years, but for the first 1.5 I didn't do anything close to competetive, I just played with a few of my friends.

What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I'm pretty good at deck building as far as I'm concerned. I'm not exactly the most innovative, but when I get the juices flowing I can usually make a fairly good deck. My biggest weakness is not always thinking through my plays, generating a fair amount of mistakes. There is definately more strengths and weaknesses, but I always forget what I need to know when I need to know it. I'll try to periodically drop in with anything I think of later.

Gaetele: Strategy, Control -- DROPPED OUT
Name: Kevin

Preferred Play Style: Control = Combo > Aggro

Preferred Color:

Time Zones: EST, any time after 10pm and at sporadic times throughout the day. If I get accepted, I'll post a detailed schedule.

Preferred Teacher: N/A

Preferred Deck: Counterburn, twInsanity, RDW

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Strategy. Since I like control, I sometimes find myself countering or responding to something in the wrong way, and that screws me up. Also, I like picking out cute little combos in things that work well together, but not at first glance.

When did you start playing?: 2000, but I took a 4 year break from 2004 to 2008 and just started up again.

Strengths: I think I read a person's deck (if I haven't played it before) and their hand pretty well.
Weaknesses: I tend not to overly think about my decisions, and make bad decisions when it comes to answering threats or countering, etc.

krazykirby4: Sideboard, Win -- DROPPED
Name: krazykirby

Preferred Play Style: Winning?

Preferred Color: Any colors

Time Zones: EST

Preferred Teacher: Atma, since I already talk to him on AIM a lot, or whoever if he's taken. Also, please have AIM

Preferred Deck: Any deck, maybe making a new deck type to shake the meta for fun?

Yes, I know about the "program"

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: How to sideboard ( ). How to play tighter games.

When did you start playing?: 2 to 4 months before Shards rotated in (played an awesome BR Tokens deck that rocked my meta)

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I can learn a deck relatively quick. I can usually tell what the correct play is, but sometimes I'll overextend or get greedy.

I know that if my 5c opponent has 4 mana open, 3 of it being blue, it's probably a trap. Using counter-bait = fun.

gamemaniac2: Deckbuild
Name: William Willden

Preferred Play Style: Something that requires thought and thinking to play.

Preferred Color: Blue, Black, Green, White, Red

Time Zones: North Carolina, EST

Preferred Teacher: Someone who knows what they are doing

Preferred Deck: Dunno... don't have a list I'm consistently playing right now.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: To think more outside the box and recognize synergies easier in terms of deckbuilding. I'm pretty terrible at making good decks that are consistently winning. Whether that is exclusively my deck building or a poor play ability remains to be seen.

When did you start playing?: Odyssey... hmmm... think that's around 2001? Not sure.

What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I recognize a mistake when I see it. Almost every time I make a mistake I see it immediately afterwords and its consequences.

DLH-MiLK: Pilot, Metagame, Control
Name: Cameron

Preferred Play Style: I like.

Preferred Color: Black/Green

Time Zones: CST

Preferred Teacher: Islands or Avenged_six fold (see weakness as to why)

Preferred Deck: B/G Elfs

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: How to use the meta game more to my advantage and Pilot control decks better

When did you start playing?: Ummmm lets see 1996 (When i was 6!)

What are your strengths and weaknesses?:

Strengths: I can adapt quickly to peoples play style and will do better every time i play them, the more i see decks like fae the better i do in match ups (for instance i play at the local FNM and play Vs trey who ALWAYS plays fae after 2 goes with 0-2 loses i now go 2-1 wins)

Weaknesses: Deck building and piloting Control seem to be the harder things also i cant deal with brew boat no matter what i do.

Anything else to add: Have AIM MSN and every other program under the sun but im not very experienced with MWS.

Knighty: Deckbuild
Name: Roberto Machado

Preferred Play Style: Control

Preferred Color:

Time Zones: Easter time zone ,Tampa Florida

Preferred Teacher: Whomever =P

Preferred Deck: 5cc.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yessums

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Better deckbuilding skills

When did you start playing?: Late RavTSP, Beggining TSPLor

I am pretty good at control and suck really bad at combo.

Elephegor: Win, Standard, Deckbuild, Playtest -- DROPPED OUT
Name: Adam//Elephegor//Baboontilt (old account, lost the e-mail address it was regged under and couldn't convert to new boards)

Preferred Play Style: Although I have dabbled in all styles, I most consistently play aggro. I certainly have nothing against control, but I am not necessarily at a level yet where I feel comfortable playing the more unforgiving decks.

Preferred Color: Again this is not a huge issue, but green would be my favorite color, typically with a red or white pairing.

Time Zones: St. Louis, MO (Central time zone).

Preferred Teacher: I don't know any of the teachers well enough to pick one, whoever would be willing to put up with me I suppose.

Preferred Deck: In what format? I'm so new to standard I couldn't say, my personal favorite deck (that I regret ever having sold) was a Type 1/Casual Kobolds deck complete with Black Lotus, Mox Jet/Emerald, and a slew of janky combo goodness that Stormed out on turns 1-3.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": It would take a 10-minute refresher course to get me up to speed, my biggest challenge is getting the patches working on my new comp (I hate Vista). I have also never played online, but I understand the basic functions through goldfishing.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I would love to be able to gain a better understanding of the current standard cardpool/decks as I am just starting up again after a hiatus that began shortly after Future Sight was released. I have never truly played a competitive standard deck, being more of a limited player, but I tested plenty of them. The only real Standard tournament I went to other than a few odd FNMs was states one year, where I went something like 4-2 with a self-made midrange RG aggro deck that ran Ohran Viper alongside Stormbind and Browbeat. I would like to in particular build up my playtesting and deckbuilding habits so that I will be able to offer constructive advice instead of just heeding it.

When did you start playing?: I have been playing on and off since 4th edition, but the vast majority of that time was spent playing extreme casual and not even knowing of the existence of the tournament scene.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?: I would consider my main weakness to be a love for underplayed decks or uncommon combos-- not to a point where I will play decidedly bad cards, but for example an inclination towards something like Elf Grenade over Fae or 5cc. Not that I feel it is superior to the other decks, just something I would see myself more likely to try out. This is often not entirely due to my preferences as a player, but my desire to build decks that are not overwhelmingly expensive. I do not mind spending a decent amount of money for a few staple rares for a deck (ie a playset of FODs), but when it is full of money spells and lands, it can get a bit costly for me. I do feel that I am a solid player in actual game sense, although a bit rusty and not up to date on the new rules (I didn't know I could activate my Planeswalker the turn it came into play at the pre-release). I am also a quick learner, willing to admit when I am wrong (and not stubbornly defend a point or card choice when I am told why it is subpar), and most importantly of all eager to discuss anything and everything magic.

Angry_Toy_Poodle: Win
Name: Brendan

Preferred Play Style: midrange/control

Preferred Color: i like monocolored

Time Zones: Philthadelphia (est)

Preferred Teacher:Islands (prolly lives up the road)

Preferred Deck:muc,mbc,mwc (splashes are ok i guess)...maybe combo deck

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": yes, computer restraints might make this difficult atm (my computers are work computers)

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: being able to compete in tournaments where winning money is involved

When did you start playing?: fourth edition(maybe before, i don't exactly remember)

strong: creativity, listening, good amount of capital, pretty free hours, good knowledge of most cards
weak: i literally don't own any cards atm, i often try and be too clever with synergies and make a mess, haven't played seriously since 1998 (still on the forums a lot, casual with old buddies)

Reeker: Card Abilities, Rules
Name:
May as well use my online handle: Reeker
Preferred Play Style: (aggro, midrange, control, etc.)
Creatures, X type damage cards and lots of lands
Preferred Color: Mana color(s)
Any, maybe Blue, Black, Red
Time Zones: Where you live, or what times you are available.
Ohio
Preferred Teacher:
Any
Preferred Deck:
Any
Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": If not, go ahead and ask someone so you can get it installed and working.
What is this?
What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: This can help Teachers decide what Student to choose and what to teach.
Creature/card abilities, wither, cycling, etc..
Dec '08, 10th Edition
+ Eventide + Shards of Alara
(about 2000 cards ~ $400 worth)
Weak: newbie, play timing
Strength: none

I would really like to have an experienced player help me to learn more about the game.

lylac: Pilot
Name: Joe Indelicato

Preferred Play Style: Combo or DrawGo/Control

Preferred Color: U/W

Time Zones: Eastern time zone. Tewksbury Mass.

Preferred Teacher: Islands/Atma/Anyone?

Preferred Deck: Fae or WW

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yea

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Better play skillz.

When did you start playing?: A long time ago.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: My only weakness is that I have no strengths.

Teachers

Name: Joe Indelicato

Preferred Play Style: Same

Preferred Color: Same

Time Zones: Same

Preferred Student: Anybody besides massive trolls.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: Magic.

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): 0000-000-000

Preferred/Best Deck?: Same

When did you start playing?: Same

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Same

Craven_Harbinger: Manabase, Sideboard
Name: Jason (Harbz)

Preferred Play Style: Midrange >>> control

Preferred Color: Blue, Red, White, Black

Time Zones: UK time zone, 8pm onwards when in work, when ever on my days off.

Preferred Teacher:
I don't know them yet.

Preferred Deck:
Currently Boat Brew and B/W Tokens (Bant in progress)

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?:
Mana base building and sideboard movement.

During kamigawa but very casual.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?:
Strengths:
Making plays and thinking too much

Weaknesses:
card judgement and everything to do with mana, oh and also spelling.

Contacts:

Xfire = Monthor

Email = [email]merick_y2k4@hotmail.com[/email]

Mono789: Sideboard
Name: Mono789 is the most you'll get out of me.

Preferred Play Style: Aggro, I guess. Control is fun, though.

Preferred Color:

Time Zones: Pacific Time

Preferred Teacher: Islands, because he seems good at deckbuilding.

Preferred Deck: Don't really have one. I test lots of decks from deck help and tournament center.
Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yes. That thing is a pain to install, though.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I have a sideboarding problem. I know what to side in, but not what to side out.

When did you start playing?: About five years ago.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I know the rules very well. However, I've never taken hold of any opportunities to have a better deck, and have thusly remained at the same skill level for a long time.

Brackets

You have until April 6th Monday to finish these matches; it's an autoloss if you don't play. Best two out of three; use MWS

I have a feeling some people have dropped out and not informed me. If you want to drop, you should let me know. If you are suspected of having dropped out and don't respond otherwise, I will kick you from the brackets.

automonkey vs Every_Day
greg_the_egg vs neruka (2-0-0)
spanner vs
twelveoclock vs xeonoex
Beanman vs Flopfoot
redchocobo vs Cyklown
evilweevil (BYE)

Previous Results

automonkey666 vs twelveoclock
Cyklown vs Beanman
EveryDay vs evilweevil (2-0-0)
Flopfoot vs greg_the_egg (0-2-0)
neruka vs xeonoex
redchocobo vs spanner (1-2-0)
master_of_esper (BYE)

automonkey666 vs Beanman1000 (2-0-0)
Cyklown vs Every_Day
evilweevil666 vs Flopfoot
greg_the_egg (BYE)
neruka vs redchocobo (2-1-0)
spanner vs xeonoex (1-2-0)
twelveoclock (BYE)
THE TEAMS

Team Angry Panda:
Atmapalazzo / redchocobo

Team B:
avenged_sixfold / evilweevil66

Team Dodgeball Cannon:
CageofPancakes / Cyklown + varno345 (unofficial student)

Team Rainbow Unicorn Gumdrops:
Capn_Pinkerton / xeonoex

Team Deck Builders:
carthwolf / master_of_esper

Erasmus / spanner
Islands / Every_Day
Greg_the_Egg / twelveoclock
hereforthehellofit / Flopfoot

Kirby's Beanland II:
krazykirby4 / Beanman1000

lylac / greg_the_egg

Team Buffalo Wings for Breakfast:
screent / automonkey666

TEAM EVIL:
VeJi / neruka
GO TEAM EVIL!!!
So we are doing the non-netdeck tournament? That sounds fun. It'll be kinda hard to decide what a net deck is and what isn't sometimes though.

Is that in addition to a regular tournament?
Well I can take on another student, me and cyklown have differing work times so we are working on are project in the meantime through private messages.

So I can be chatting it up with somebody else while me and him are no in contact.

Let me know if your interested.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
So we are doing the non-netdeck tournament? That sounds fun. It'll be kinda hard to decide what a net deck is and what isn't sometimes though.

Is that in addition to a regular tournament?

I might have to split the tournament between more experienced students and less experienced ones. Or something similar. I can already tell certain students are already really good! (squints at evilweevil)

But distinguishing between the two groups will be incredibly tough. As will distinguishing netdecks. I may actually divide the tournaments between "deckbuilding" and "piloting" -- where the first one has to include NEW archetypes entirely. Whereas the latter will just be a regular tournament where players can decide whatever decks they want to play.
Well I can take on another student, me and cyklown have differing work times so we are working on are project in the meantime through private messages.

So I can be chatting it up with somebody else while me and him are no in contact.

Let me know if your interested.

Ok

HEY STUDENTS ^^^ he wants one of you, whoever wants him can have him Respond quickly
Neruka, you are pure win.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
CoP is a rock-solid player. Forumstalk him and you'll see.

I'd almost prefer to force the "original" decks to fight against the "netdecks". The reasons are twofold:

1) Creating a deck than can rock an established metagame is a valid skill... and in fact a skill that is necessary to make your deckbuilding mean anything.

b) What constitutes a netdeck and what constitutes an original deck? Would faeries with heavy modification be original? Faeries with a new MB and with choices based on the new cardpool available? Would a deck with a toasted manabase be original? Toast is already so customizable that the decks really just get categorized by the manabase alone. Any attempt to draw the line anywhere will either stifle creativity by shutting down some potential deck ideas and by arbitrarily telling one pairing with a new and original idea that their idea isn't new "enough" no matter how innovative they are while allowing others to squeak through.

Maybe we could just have a "kudos" section, where we award people non-tournament altering points and credit for style and innovation?
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Actually you are right. ;/ You can't make decks except against the top metagame. Otherwise what's the point...

In which case I might make it such that students submit decklists to the teachers. The teachers play the students' decklists while the students play netdecks against the teachers.

Does this sound interesting?
Actually you are right. ;/ You can't make decks except against the top metagame. Otherwise what's the point...

In which case I might make it such that students submit decklists to the teachers. The teachers play the students' decklists while the students play netdecks against the teachers.

Does this sound interesting?

It could be cool. I really like the war by proxy theme of only students play format, however. It's not like any of the students should be finishing those lists up without a lot of help from their mentors, so it's not like they'd be decklists that *just* the students have made.

It seems to me like posting the decklists and allowing very, um, frank discussion as to the creativity that went into them might be a better manner of rewarding innovation/discouraging rote netdecking.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Neruka, you are pure win.

Thank you, chocobo! Good luck with your musical.
Thank you, chocobo! Good luck with your musical.

I will. Me and my cast mates are all in this together. I just have to get in my head in the game and I'll be fine.

Kudo's to whoever get's the references
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I can already tell certain students are already really good! (squints at evilweevil)

Thanks for the squint, but I think in standard, at least, Greg is more deserving, but whatever.
I'd appreciate it if you could revoke my application, as I just don't have time for this right now. Thanks.
Thanks for the squint, but I think in standard, at least, Greg is more deserving, but whatever.

Whatever. There are more than just you. But I was poking fun.
Whatever. There are more than just you. But I was poking fun.

Well all in all, I appreciate the ego boost ;).
I'd appreciate it if you could revoke my application, as I just don't have time for this right now. Thanks.

Understood and done
Name: Alex Varno

Preferred Play Style: Control

Preferred Color: blue, white, black

Time Zones: Central Time.

Preferred Teacher: anyone willing to teach

Preferred Deck:5cc

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program":Yes

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I am looking to learn how to build decks better, play better, and be an overall better magic player

When did you start playing?: Way back in Onslaught, but i didn't start attending FNM's until ravnica/kamigawa standard

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?:My strength would have to be my ability to think ahead 1-3 turns. My weakness is probably my playing ability.

I'm not listed
Yes, you are

Don't lie to me.

You're after quagsire and before Elephegor.
How are we going to do the non-netdeck tourney? Can you just take a netdeck, edit about 10 cards, and call it original?
How are we going to do the non-netdeck tourney? Can you just take a netdeck, edit about 10 cards, and call it original?

Still hammering out the details on that one.

But no tournaments will be held for about a month while students undergo training. So I wouldn't worry about it prematurely.
I would just say take all of the DtB and put lists.
Fae
5cc
Boat Brew
Kithkin
RDW
WB Tokens

Can't be too hard to decide with those. Just because a deck uses Reveillark doens't mean it's Reveillark, and every Monored deck isn't RDW.
I say, to be more precise say it has to be at least 12 non-land cards different from a popular archtype that has made a top 8 at a PTQ or Worlds. Or just have someone judge them. Something like that.
For the tournament where we build a non-archetype/non netdecked deck would I be able to use my Warriors deck since I wrote the primer? If yes, thats cool, if no, thats cool too because it means my favorite deck is an archetype :D.

Edit: I received kudo's from RedChocobo
Yes, you are

Don't lie to me.

You're after quagsire and before Elephegor.

Woops srry didn't see me there.
Adopt me!

*Squeek*
Umm, so I don't really frequent these forums any more, but I do blog for my website Greatplay.net.
I am psyched.
Adopt me!

*Squeek*

Noone wants an egg....but everyone wants a BEANMAN!
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
So can I change something on my form? My preferred deck is WW now since I just won my FNM with it. :P
So can I change something on my form? My preferred deck is WW now since I just won my FNM with it. :P

Ok I'll change it.
Ok I'll change it.

Hey! Using Wii to type this, I may not be able to get on IM anytime soon, so mlem.
Hey! Using Wii to type this, I may not be able to get on IM anytime soon, so mlem.

Understood, sir. Blth.
Understood, sir. Blth.

Comedy.
Show
ANNOUNCEMENTS (changes in bold):

If you are a student but not listed, repost your application here please. If you are a student and want to teach, please let me know. Some students may not end up getting teachers if we are short on teachers.

If you want to be a teacher, post that here. (We kind of need more...) I don't care about your application, but you can post it if you want.

If you are a teacher and want a PARTICULAR student, post that here or PM me.

Students, I recommend trying to advertise a little bit.

Students, you'll have a month to engorge yourselves on the training of your superiors. Learn as much as possible. Pester your teacher with questions or play a few games per week with your teachers when you can.

Each student will then build his/her own unique deck for one of the tournaments (there may be more than one). Since a large part of this tournament is deckbuilding skill.

I don't really want to be very restrictive here, but I also want to reward innovation. I think the easiest way of doing this is to have the tournament first, then afterwards have all the decklists posted up for winners and losers to see. Then forumers can rate the decks as they please. It would be best to assume the ratings forumers give decks will have impact on the overall score for student/teacher pairs.
I know the meta will therefore be a bit unpredictable, but in Standard, I don't think it's a big deal.

The second tournament will be a normal one. Winning is the only key here.

A few updates to the announcements.

By the way, if you guys want to, each student/teacher pair can come up with its own team name, and I'll add that to the OP. :P

I've PM'ed all the teachers without students. Hopefully will get responses sooner or later.

If anyone wants to have Islands as a teacher by the way, talk to silasw and figure out if you and silasw are on a lot at around the same time. Particularly east coast kids. (Since that's where they are from.)
I'm a current student who has filled out an application. If your a teacher who has been playing a while and loves control like I do then I'm the student for you.

also on my app I said I didn't know what the forbidden program was I now know it's the program I play my friends on. So if you could change my application saying I know what is that would be nice. thanks.
I've changed your application.
I like your tournament and decklist creativity rules. Simple, yet effective.
Weevil and I will be called "Team B"
I like your tournament and decklist creativity rules. Simple, yet effective.

Thank you, VeJi

sixfold, nice name
Sign In to post comments