Teacher and Student Tournament

396 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone! This is the thread for an idea that was inspired from Patrick Chapin. Chapin said that a Master and Apprenticeship program should be established in which a Pro player would take a new or largely inexperienced player and train him. Then there would be a series of tournaments in which the teacher would play other teachers, students to other students, teachers to their own student, etc.

Why Do This?

Well there are a few reasons...but this is coming soon.

[/INDENT]

Before all of this can happen however, things need to be organized and Teachers and Students need to be chosen.

[INDENT]Rules: (Note, all are subject to change)
1. The format will be standard. This will be more focused and make sure new players are not overwhelmed.

2. Teachers and Students should not be changed mid-way through the teaching period. However, if there are circumstances in which the Teacher are the Student can no go forward in the tournament due to time restraints or interference from the real world, then PM me and something can be arranged.

3. Teachers will have a solid month to train their students for the tournament.

4. Obviously there should be no cheating. Teachers should not play for their students against other students. This is supposed to be fun and has the added benefit of teaching inexperienced players how to play the game well.

5. Deck ideas may be originals, Decks to Beat, anything you want. [/INDENT]

There will be more rules as this evolves, and I am more than willing to take suggestions.

Forms

Students

Name:

Preferred Play Style: (aggro, midrange, control, etc.)

Preferred Color: Mana color(s)

Time Zones: Where you live, or what times you are available.

Preferred Teacher:

Preferred Deck:
Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": If not, go ahead and ask someone so you can get it installed and working.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: This can help Teachers decide what Student to choose and what to teach.

When did you start playing?:

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?:

Teachers

Name:

Preferred Student:

What do you think you are best at teaching?:

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): This is just in case someone would like to challenge your 1337 skillz.

Preferred/Best Deck?:

Completed Student Forms

Neruka

Name: Lauren aka neruka

Preferred Play Style: Everything; I'm better practiced at aggro than control, but I feel I can master both

Preferred Color: All colors are fine; however green seems to be the least interesting

Time Zones: Pacific

Preferred Teacher: VeJi

Preferred Deck: Anything and everything? Faeries would be the most challenging.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yes

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Making the correct play decisions at any given moment. Deck building itself is secondary but also important. I want to know what the best play move is at any given moment. I need a teacher that can pinpoint this kind of thing.

When did you start playing?: After the release of Morningtide. Never in a competitive setting. Thus far I have mainly drafted. I have no real constructed experience.

Strengths: Uh... as a student, I am a very good listener and I remember what I've been told; I ask relevant questions; motivation is high

Weaknesses: Not aggressive enough in playing -- I have no idea how badly I would pilot a control deck; probably pretty badly; I feel I have a lot to learn

Patrick AKA Deathcow38
Name:
Patrick

None, really, although I prefer not to play aggro.

None.

Eastern Standard Time, time availability changes.

Preferred Teacher:
Whoever.

Preferred Deck:
I switch decks a lot. My last two decks I devoted a lot of time to were Grixis Disruption/Machinehead and Standard Elves!

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program":
Yes

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?:
General deckbuilding and piloting skill. Card choice, card evaluation, and making the correct play.

Two and a half years ago.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?:
Strengths: Flexible playstyle, openness to differing ideas.
Weaknesses: Occasionally I get frustrated and throw away games that I could have otherwise won.

Greg_the_Egg
Name: Greg_the_Egg

Preferred Play Style: Winning

Preferred Color: Green, RWB and GWRB.

Time Zones: Eastern

Preferred Teacher: Kedi

Preferred Deck: Mana Ramp, Five Colour Control

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Metaing, Deck Fixing, Aggression (Definitely Aggression)

When did you start playing?: Before the release of Morningtide, but after the release of Lorowyn.

What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I'm good at limited. I'm bad at sleeping

Aaron AKA evilweevil666
Name: Aaron Fernandez

Preferred Play Style: Whatever Avenged_sixfold hates.

Preferred Color: See above.

Time Zones: Hopefully a time zone that would make avenged get up at awkward times. Damn, we actually live in the same zone, but whatever.

Preferred Teacher: Avenged_sixfold

Preferred Deck: See preferred style.
Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": of course
What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: How to annoy avenged especially well.

When did you start playing?: 2003? Maybe '02, can't remember.

What are you strengths and weaknesses?:
strengths: I think I'm pretty good at annoying avenged and especially lylac.
weaknesses: I'm not actually eligible to annoy him because I'm not a noob (no contrary statements lylac, please).

Secondary Form for Aaron
Ok, well I'm submitting another application due to the nature of my previous one. Please note that all statements must be taken into account WITH the previous posts, not instead of.

Name: Have not gone through a name change, yet.

Play Style: In order; tempo & and an actual cool combo deck (tied), midrange, control. Note that they're still all almost exactly even and in a tournament setting I'm almost always gonna play the control deck (if it's online because I'm broke) because of the variety of options it gives to someone who knows what they're doing.

Color: Blue, black/new green cards that aren't just fails, goes downhill from there.

time zones: eastern

preferred teacher: still avenged by a large margin.

preferred deck: see my style. basically not straight up aggro.

program: yes, very well, duh.

what do I want to learn: ummmmmm, mana bases in particular i guess. I feel I'm for one a disgustingly awful player despite my deckbuilding skills. I also don't think I'm as tight as I need to be at fine-tuning a deck after I get past preliminary stages.

when did you start playing: started playing just before mirrodin came out, but was very young then, so didn't start playing competitively for a little over a year.

strengths: Very un-noobish for a student. I know what I'm doing, build decks, and am very competitive and fairly respected in extended.

weaknesses: see what I want to learn, I guess

Jake AKA Ouphe
Name: Jake Smith.

Preferred Play Style: Aggro or tempo.

Preferred Color: Red.

Time Zones: PST. Sacramento California.

Preferred Teacher: Anyone with the knowledge to expand my playskill.

Preferred Deck:Right now I play RDW and Boat Brew. I think ive reached what I consider the optimal builds with those and i've won the past four standard fnm's but that isn't necessarily saying anything at all.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": I use it about once a week. Not a MWS ninja yet.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Original deck building mostly; being able to find the more optimal lists for already determined archetypes;great/playable card identification.

When did you start playing?: Seventh edition, but I was about ten. I came back and started playing comp. right after the Lorwyn release.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Thats hard for me to determine about myself. I would assume the ability to predict what my opponent is going to do based on the deck they are playing/ analyzing the board well enough to see all of the possible plays/ setting myself up to played forced misplays. Happens sometimes.

Beanman

Name:Beanman

Preferred Play Style: Any as long as it brings good results

Preferred Color: I don't have one but if I had to choose I would say black

Time Zones: EST

Preferred Teacher: Surprise me

Preferred Deck: Well right now I am working on a reanimator style list, using corpse as a tutor for singleton bombs. Plays well, however dies to fae/tempo decks. Also am enjoying the Doran of the relic deck.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: The big issues I have are sb'ing for meta and creating an optimum mana base. My bases are usually made through a guesstimation and EXTREME trial and error.

Late 07'
(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Best MTG strength is to be able to pick up a deck and, quickly, get a decent grasp of the concept and how to play the deck.
Biggest MTG weakness is that I am unable to spot combo's and extremely good synergy from a pool of cards, even when it is staring me in the face.

xeonoex AKA Keith

Name: Keith Emanuel [AIM: racoiaw]

Preferred Play Style: Anything. Keeping it fresh is good.

Preferred Color: Anything. Just tend to stay away from mono-G I guess.

Time Zones: -6 Central. Texas.

Preferred Teacher:I'll be a filler. Playtesting some with Islands would be good though.

Preferred Deck: Anything. Gotta know how all of them work.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yep.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Really, just looking for playtesting and tournaments.

When did you start playing?: Shadowmoor block.

What are you strengths and weaknesses?: For strengths, I've gotta say I can find ways out of tight spots pretty good. For weaknesses, manascrew. My 5cc won every game it hit 4 lands and lost every game it didn

Reeker
Name:
May as well use my online handle: Reeker
Creatures, X type damage cards and lots of lands
Any, maybe Blue, Black, Red
Ohio
Preferred Teacher:
Any
Preferred Deck:
Any
Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": If not, go ahead and ask someone so you can get it installed and working.
What is this?
What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: This can help Teachers decide what Student to choose and what to teach.
Creature/card abilities, wither, cycling, etc..
Dec '08, 10th Edition
+ Eventide + Shards of Alara
(about 2000 cards ~ $400 worth)
Weak: newbie, play timing
Strength: none

I would really like to have an experienced player help me to learn more about the game

Angry Toy Poodle AKA Brendan
Name: Brendan

Preferred Play Style: midrange/control

Preferred Color: i like monocolored

Time Zones: Philthadelphia (est)

Preferred Teacher:Islands (prolly lives up the road)

Preferred Deck:muc,mbc,mwc (splashes are ok i guess)...maybe combo deck

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": yes, computer restraints might make this difficult atm (my computers are work computers)

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: being able to compete in tournaments where winning money is involved

When did you start playing?: fourth edition(maybe before, i don't exactly remember)

strong: creativity, listening, good amount of capital, pretty free hours, good knowledge of most cards
weak: i literally don't own any cards atm, i often try and be too clever with synergies and make a mess, haven't played seriously since 1998 (still on the forums a lot, casual with old buddies)

Screent
Name: Joey

Preferred Play Style: Combo or Control

Preferred Color: Anything but green

Time Zones: Central, Available basically all week after 5 pm

Preferred Teacher: Haven't checked if he's available or not, but I rally have always liked Avenged Sixfold's lists and playstyle. If he's taken or choses someone else I'll take anyone.

Preferred Deck: Turbofog =]

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I could use help with deck building and recognizing potential in card choices

When did you start playing?: December 07, just after Lorwyn

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I'm a pretty good pilot, but a pretty poor deck builder

Adam AKA Elephegor
Name: Adam//Elephegor//Baboontilt (old account, lost the e-mail address it was regged under and couldn't convert to new boards)

Preferred Play Style: Although I have dabbled in all styles, I most consistently play aggro. I certainly have nothing against control, but I am not necessarily at a level yet where I feel comfortable playing the more unforgiving decks.

Preferred Color: Again this is not a huge issue, but green would be my favorite color, typically with a red or white pairing.

Time Zones: St. Louis, MO (Central time zone).

Preferred Teacher: I don't know any of the teachers well enough to pick one, whoever would be willing to put up with me I suppose.

Preferred Deck: In what format? I'm so new to standard I couldn't say, my personal favorite deck (that I regret ever having sold) was a Type 1/Casual Kobolds deck complete with Black Lotus, Mox Jet/Emerald, and a slew of janky combo goodness that Stormed out on turns 1-3.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": It would take a 10-minute refresher course to get me up to speed, my biggest challenge is getting the patches working on my new comp (I hate Vista). I have also never played online, but I understand the basic functions through goldfishing.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I would love to be able to gain a better understanding of the current standard cardpool/decks as I am just starting up again after a hiatus that began shortly after Future Sight was released. I have never truly played a competitive standard deck, being more of a limited player, but I tested plenty of them. The only real Standard tournament I went to other than a few odd FNMs was states one year, where I went something like 4-2 with a self-made midrange RG aggro deck that ran Ohran Viper alongside Stormbind and Browbeat. I would like to in particular build up my playtesting and deckbuilding habits so that I will be able to offer constructive advice instead of just heeding it.

When did you start playing?: I have been playing on and off since 4th edition, but the vast majority of that time was spent playing extreme casual and not even knowing of the existence of the tournament scene.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?: I would consider my main weakness to be a love for underplayed decks or uncommon combos-- not to a point where I will play decidedly bad cards, but for example an inclination towards something like Elf Grenade over Fae or 5cc. Not that I feel it is superior to the other decks, just something I would see myself more likely to try out. This is often not entirely due to my preferences as a player, but my desire to build decks that are not overwhelmingly expensive. I do not mind spending a decent amount of money for a few staple rares for a deck (ie a playset of FODs), but when it is full of money spells and lands, it can get a bit costly for me. I do feel that I am a solid player in actual game sense, although a bit rusty and not up to date on the new rules (I didn't know I could activate my Planeswalker the turn it came into play at the pre-release). I am also a quick learner, willing to admit when I am wrong (and not stubbornly defend a point or card choice when I am told why it is subpar), and most importantly of all eager to discuss anything and everything magic.

Varno AKA Alex
i don't know if this is too late, but ill post in case it's not:
Name: Alex Varno

Preferred Play Style: Control

Preferred Color: blue, white, black

Time Zones: Central Time.

Preferred Teacher: anyone willing to teach

Preferred Deck:5cc

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program":Yes

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I am looking to learn how to build decks better, play better, and be an overall better magic player

When did you start playing?: Way back in Onslaught, but i didn't start attending FNM's until ravnica/kamigawa standard

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?:My strength would have to be my ability to think ahead 1-3 turns. M

Quagsire...AKA Max
name: max aka quagsire

playstyle: i really like control because beatdown just goes out fast and uses dum stupid creatures

Preferred Color: blue because blue is the color of control

Time Zones: east

Preferred Teacher: avengedsixfold because i know him and hes really cool

Preferred Deck: five color control because it is the best control deck

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": yes

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: i am already really good but avengedsixfold is even better so i want to learn to be super good

When did you start playing?: only a couple years ago but i have learned fast

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: im good at everything but sidedecks and how to decide wat you have in your land

Knighty AKA Roberto
Name: Roberto Machado

Preferred Play Style: Control

Preferred Color:

Time Zones: Easter time zone ,Tampa Florida

Preferred Teacher: Whomever =P

Preferred Deck: 5cc.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yessums

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Better deckbuilding skills

When did you start playing?: Late RavTSP, Beggining TSPLor

I am pretty good at control and suck really bad at combo.

DLH-MiLK AKa Cameron
Name: Cameron

Preferred Play Style: I like.

Preferred Color: Black/Green

Time Zones: CST

Preferred Teacher: Islands or Avenged_six fold (see weakness as to why)

Preferred Deck: B/G Elfs

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: How to use the meta game more to my advantage and Pilot control decks better

When did you start playing?: Ummmm lets see 1996 (When i was 6!)

Strengths: I can adapt quickly to peoples play style and will do better every time i play them, the more i see decks like fae the better i do in match ups (for instance i play at the local FNM and play Vs trey who ALWAYS plays fae after 2 goes with 0-2 loses i now go 2-1 wins)

Weaknesses: Deck building and piloting Control seem to be the harder things also i cant deal with brew boat no matter what i do.

Anything else to add: Have AIM MSN and every other program under the sun but im not very experienced with MWS.

Gamemaniac2 AKA William Willden
Name: William Willden

Preferred Play Style: Something that requires thought and thinking to play.

Preferred Color: Blue, Black, Green, White, Red

Time Zones: North Carolina, EST

Preferred Teacher: Someone who knows what they are doing

Preferred Deck: Dunno... don't have a list I'm consistently playing right now.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: To think more outside the box and recognize synergies easier in terms of deckbuilding. I'm pretty terrible at making good decks that are consistently winning. Whether that is exclusively my deck building or a poor play ability remains to be seen.

When did you start playing?: Odyssey... hmmm... think that's around 2001? Not sure.

What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I recognize a mistake when I see it. Almost every time I make a mistake I see it immediately afterwords and its consequences.

Duncan AKA Cyklown
Name: Duncan aka Cyklown

Preferred Play Style: I'm partial to control or tempo, but I really like all deck types. I should probably play more aggro, be it fast aggro or midrange to solidify my abilities and break bad habbits I've developed from staying in a control mindset recently.

Preferred Color: I like or red predominantly. Black is my favorite splash color. It seems to give blue or red so much more depth.

Time Zones: I live in the pacific northwest. I work until fairly late, and have Friday and Sundays off.

Preferred Teacher: In a perfect world? Probably Islands or Kedi, although I realize that most of us are hoping for that and John apears to already be spoken for. Having Avenged as a teacher would likely rock just as much. Everything I've seen from him makes me think he's a rock-solid player and theorist/deckbuilder - plus most people's taste in music sucks compared to his (I swear that's relevant... I just can't think of why). I'd really have the most trouble learning from Veji, although I suppose he's already intent on teaching someone else.

Preferred Deck: I've been running fae a lot, but more to smack myself whenever I make a play mistake than as some for of loyalty to the deck.. or at least that's what I keep telling myslef. Fast red decks and rock decks are the others that I tend to want to play. I had a lot of fun with a Lorwyn block league running a (for the cardpool) brutal ElfRock deck, and fast red decks have always apealed to me.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yes. Oh yes. I'd love help with getting better with it, but I'm fairly well versed with it. I still need help minimizing the amount I need to use the mouse/rightclicking. I've also got aim and gmail/chat already active, and I have inactive msn messenger, icq and assorted other messenger programs. Heck, I've got mIRC available

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Better theory, for one. I'd also like to improve my ability to read the table/my opponents and focus better when learning how to figure out the optimal plays with limited information. The two things I really need to learn the most are probably how to prosper during game stalls and how to mulligan better

When did you start playing?: Back during Revised. I slowly started playing less and less. Years later I got a job in tech support, the playgroup got me hooked and I started buying new cards starting a bit before the Lorwyn prerelease and haven't looked back.

I one solid strength is an openess to direction and improvements in my playstyle.I'm (at least I think) fairly good at theorycrafting, and I trust theory over anecdotal evidence when trying to figure something out. If a concept can be explained to me I try to change my playstyle, etc. to encompass it. My best experiences in magic and other games have been forcing myself to get better by forcing myself to play above my level.

My biggest weakness is probably how much I want to know *why* any given choice is good. I have a lot of trouble with "just take my word for it". My other biggest weakness is gut reactions that playing control taught me- habbits that aren't really good in control either. I tend to like silver bullet cards and I have an irrational fear of having no outs in a given situation. Not knowing when to wait and see in a bad sittuation or aggresively take the initation when I'm unsure if it's a safe play has lost a number of games for me.

I suppose one last weakness is a dislike for the text blocks that are MWS logs. I seem to automatically start skimming after line 10 of the. There's a lot of info to be had from them, but it's posed in such a hard to read manner. Maybe we all hate that.

KrazyKirby4
Name: krazykirby

Preferred Play Style: Winning?

Preferred Color: Any colors

Preferred Teacher: Atma, since I already talk to him on AIM a lot, or whoever if he's taken. Also, please have AIM

Preferred Deck: Any deck, maybe making a new deck type to shake the meta for fun?

Yes, I know about the "program"

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: How to sideboard ( ). How to play tighter games.

When did you start playing?: 2 to 4 months before Shards rotated in (played an awesome BR Tokens deck that rocked my meta)

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I can learn a deck relatively quick. I can usually tell what the correct play is, but sometimes I'll overextend or get greedy.

I know that if my 5c opponent has 4 mana open, 3 of it being blue, it's probably a trap. Using counter-bait = fun.

Gaetele
Name: Kevin

Preferred Play Style: Control = Combo > Aggro

Preferred Color: UR

Time Zones: EST, any time after 10pm and at sporadic times throughout the day. If I get accepted, I'll post a detailed schedule.

Preferred Teacher: N/A

Preferred Deck: Counterburn, twInsanity, RDW

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yes.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Strategy. Since I like control, I sometimes find myself countering or responding to something in the wrong way, and that screws me up. Also, I like picking out cute little combos in things that work well together, but not at first glance.

When did you start playing?: 2000, but I took a 4 year break from 2004 to 2008 and just started up again.

Strengths: I think I read a person's deck (if I haven't played it before) and their hand pretty well.
Weaknesses: I tend not to overly think about my decisions, and make bad decisions when it comes to answering threats or countering, etc.

Zero02835 AKA Max
Name: Zero92835, Max

Preferred Play Style: I play everything, but I perfer aggro and combo

Preferred Color: Blue and Red

Time Zones: California, I'm available all day after like 1-2 on saturday, all day sunday, and most of the time between 3:45-5:30 or so on weekdays, but Im never available on Wednsdays

Preferred Teacher: I don't really care. Someone from 0-2 Drop would be cool though.

Preferred Deck: Im currently running Doran Rock on paper, but I'm testing MWC and Domain for fun.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I'm mostly looking for just baseline play improvements. I'm proficient enough to always top 4 my fnm, but I still do make mistakes.

When did you start playing?: I've been playing for 3 years, but for the first 1.5 I didn't do anything close to competetive, I just played with a few of my friends.

What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I'm pretty good at deck building as far as I'm concerned. I'm not exactly the most innovative, but when I get the juices flowing I can usually make a fairly good deck. My biggest weakness is not always thinking through my plays, generating a fair amount of mistakes. There is definately more strengths and weaknesses, but I always forget what I need to know when I need to know it. I'll try to periodically drop in with anything I think of later.

SoilShaperbd AKA Ryan
Name: Ryan

Preferred Play Style: Aggro-control. Favorite decks include Red-thresh, last season's death-cloud and mana-ramp in the current standard.

Preferred Color: I generally avoid white, but that's hardly absolute.

Time Zones: Central. Available... More often than not.

Preferred Teacher: Islands or Kedi

Preferred Deck: N/A

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Deck building /metagaming. My deckbuilding style is typically to take an existing deck and to modify it in an attempt to maintain some element of surprise and to fix what I feel are weaknesses of the deck as built. For example when I played deathcloud last extended season I felt that not playing eternal witness was a mistake and played a list ~ 10 cards off from more conventional lists.

When did you start playing?: Legions.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Strength: Being able to adapt to multiple play styles.
Weaknesses: Deck building and side boarding to an extent. I find that my decks tend to work on paper a lot better than they do in practice.

Lightning Link7 AKA Dan
Name: Dan

Preferred Play Style: Anything

Preferred Color: Green/Blue

Preferred Teacher: Possibly Avenged_Sixfold, since I have played him at FNMs before. If not, anyone who is a good teacher.

Preferred Deck: Naya/b Ramp (have played RDW, Fae, Esper Mannequin, and Affinity in the past)

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Meta-gaming, deckbuilding, making correct plays

When did you start playing?: 1 week before Lorwyn

Strength: Playing aggro, mid-range, decent deck-building.

Weakness: Playing certain kinds of control (good with Faeries, bad with 5CC)

Twelveoclock AKA Larry
Name: twelveoclock
edit: My nickname is larry

Preferred Play Style: I like all deck types except pure combo.

Preferred Color: Every color combination is fun.

Time Zones: US-Central

Preferred Teacher: Anyone who's knowledgeable and not a jerk.

Preferred Deck: I really like kithkin. Fast and fun.
Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": I'm very good at using mws.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I would like to improve my deckbuilding skills. That is the hardest part of magic for me; I can usually play the decks just fine.

When did you start playing?: Since Future Sight.

Strengths:
-I am a fast learner
-I understand concepts well
-Excellent at math
-Rules are not a problem for me
-I like having fun playing magic
Weaknesses:
-Suck at deckbuilding(esp mana bases in multi-colored decks)
-Horrible at sideboards

evilone194 AKA Aaron Cohen
Name: Aaron Cohen

Preferred play style: I don't really have any. It differs a lot depending on the formant. I played solidarity and counterslivers in legacy, affinity in ext, and haven't played much standard since it was rav-tsp and then I played dredge.

Preferred Colors: None

Time Zones: Pacific time. I am open most nights of the week. about 4:30 and on.

Preferred deck: I've been toying around a lot with twinsanity and R/G warriors, but I like to test/tweak a lot of different decks

Preferred Teacher: Not to suck up, I like Islands I've been playing a lot with his leyline of singularity/hunted horror ext. deck. its pretty cool

What I am looking to learn from this: Play skill in general. I'm not a horrible player, but I would like to take it to the next level. I've been to two PTQs, and gone 2-0 in both, then lost the next three rounds every time.

When did you start playing: I am probably too young for this, only fourteen, but I have been playing magic since I was five. I could play magic before I could fully read, I knew cards via the pictures. One of my actual earliest memories of life at all is playing magic with my father at my grandmas house with tempest preconstructed decks.

My strengths are calculations: Having spent a few years playing solidarity in legacy and affinity in extended, I've had to do a lot of slightly complicated combat math, or mana/probability calculations in solidarity, which is a frustratingly hard deck to play.

My weaknesses: I am a horrible topdecker. Jokes aside, I have bad decision making skills when it comes to things like removal, or counterspells, which is why I like combo decks a lot.

I just hope I'm not too young!! I'm extremely serious about this.

edit: I play frequently on the forbidden program, and I also have AIM, and can get MSN easily if necessary

Karthir AKA Dustin
Name: Dustin

Preferred Play Style: Midrange or control but open to anything

Preferred Color: Doesn't matter too much but black.

Time Zones: Chicago Time

Preferred Teacher: Any? Islands because of his awesome deckbuilding abilities.

Preferred Deck: None. But Rock was the most fun.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I want to become a less casual and better player. Specifically: how to make the correct play and card choices when building a list.

When did you start playing?: Right after 10th came out. Didn't play during eventide or shards but I'm back.

Strengths:
I have a desire to learn and learn quickly.
I can accept that a card that I like may not fit the deck that I'm trying to build.
After seeing a dtb played for a while, knowing how he/she will react to most of my plays.

Weaknesses:
Knowing how to build to a specific meta
What to sideboard when it's not completely obvious.
Not always being able to spot good combos or cards when taking in a pool of cards all at once.

SPanner AKA Richard
Name: Spanner/Richard

Preferred Play Style: (aggro, midrange, control, etc.) aggro, but love crazy combo's (i'm also trying out a R sligh deck atm coz i hate control)

Preferred Color: Mana color(s) G/R

Time Zones: Where you live, or what times you are available. I'm Aussie so may make it hard but I'm on GMT + 11 till easter where we go back to GMT + 10. I'm on a lot of the time except through school (last year!!!)

Preferred Teacher: I was going to say Islands because of he's crazy combo's and he's hideaway elf deck, but it looks like he's taken

Preferred Deck: anything with a combo in it or beats control
Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yep

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I wanna get to pick some more combo's and actually know if a card will run well instead of just throwing it out there and getting a yes or a no like I am now.

When did you start playing?: played casual with mates for about 3 years, in the past 2 months really started getting into the forums etc (i have followed the forums for about 6 months but only signed up in late November), never been to a FNM yet, but I'm really thinking about.

Strengths: I can remember every image i see (not photographic coz i can't remember words for some reason :S) so i got a decent idea of just pulling cards out with no searching (I make entire excel spread sheets with easily over 100 cards on them of cards i wanna try before i usually start building a deck, so i can see the pics rather then just names)
I'm Aussie, has to be worth something *fingers crossed*
Weaknesses: well... few strengths lol. Poor spelling... doubt this will have much effect on people but its there. I don't have a huge budget, but that shouldn't be a problem i don't think.
Perfectionist, dunno if thats a good thing or not lol

I have x-fire (best communication program ever) and msn, but i'm willing to grab w/e's out there if it would be easier.

Federbeast AKA Mark
Name: Mark

Preferred Play Style: none yet

Preferred Color: none yet

Preferred Teacher: any that will take me

Preferred Deck: none yet

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I would like to learn more about deck building and playing, and just general "truths" about Magic rather than specific cards/combos. I would like to break into Standard but I would like to learn more about Limited as well.

When did you start playing?: Shards of Alara

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I'm pretty decent at Limited. My biggest weakness is I am so inexperienced and I have a lot to learn.

Tyler AKA Redheadedeskimo
Name: Tyler Reynolds

Preferred Play Style: Midrange

Preferred Color: Blue/red/black/white/green, in order of preference.

Time Zones: Central California

Preferred Teacher: anyone

Preferred Deck: I'm really digging U/R Counterburn

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yep

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Making the correct play, learning to be more aggressive, tuning my decks for the metagame, and being able to evaluate cards correctly.

When did you start playing?: I've been playing casually for quite a while. I just started playing competitively last March I think it was.

What are you strengths?: I learn fast. I'm decent in limited, and pretty good in constructed. I'm a decent pilot.

And weaknesses?: Pretty much the fact that almost all of my strengths are surrounded by the words "decent" and "pretty good."

Flopfoot
Name: Flopfoot

Preferred Play Style: Aggro, combo, or casual cockroach decks.

Preferred Color: In clockwise order, starting from red.

Time Zones: Sydney, Australia (GMT +10 or +11 I think?)

Preferred Teacher: Don't mind

Preferred Deck: Dont mind

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Nope. I do have a simple program of my own creation I use for text duelling on msn or forums though.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I dunno. Correct plays, I guess? Better deckbuilding would be cool too.
Oh, I really want to learn how to use a sideboard too.

When did you start playing?: 10th edition prerelease (mid 2007)

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I never playtest enough. I use bad cards 'cause I tend to stick with what I like rather than what is proven strongest. I have no idea what to side in and out between matches. Sometimes I play too safe when it would have been better to take a risk, or vice versa.
My main strength is my memory. I remember what most of the cards in the format do, I can remember decklists of dtb so I have some idea what cards my opponent might be using, etc

Lloyd AKA AoB or Vigilant
Name: Lloyd Sprowes (online, I go by Arbiter of Justice or Vigilant, depending on where I am, and whether Vigilant is taken or not)

Preferred Play Style: I like aggro, but lately I'm drawn more to midrange because that's what is better in tournaments. Being able to protect yourself with removal is good.

Preferred Color: White, hands down. Red is close second though.

Time Zones: (GMT-8:00) Pacific Time

Preferred Teacher: I've spoken with Atmapalazzo extensively about decks and strategy, and I really like him. But Qilongia would be a very, very close second, because he runs the White Weenie thread and I like him too.

Preferred Deck: Bant Exalted is my pet project at the moment. However I run White Weenie as well and am very comfortable with it.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I plan on going to a GP in May, and I am aiming to earn some Pro Points there. I need to get really good at competitive Type 2 play, really fast.

When did you start playing?: Right after Tempest came out.

What are you strengths and weaknesses?: My strengths... focus, determination, and persistence. I am very focused on what I want to achieve, both in the game and out. I am determined on achieving it. And even when I don't achieve it, I never give up. Another big strength is that I don't take losses too seriously. I try to learn from each loss, but I'm not a "throw my deck at the wall" kind of guy. Ultimately, Magic is just a game. My weakness, hands down, is strategy. I wield very good decks, but I often misuse them. Deciding what to use removal on... combat math... things like that elude me. So does basic deckbuilding strategy and card evaluation. Despite all my reading, I've somehow failed to apply that to the game.

Completed Teacher Forms

Kedi

Name: Kedi
Preferred Play Style: All.
Preferred Color: All.
Time Zones: GMT +2 evenings.
Preferred Student: Someone who has no sentimental values attached to certain cards or practices.
What do you think you are best at teaching?: Metaing (both when building a deck, and when playing in the flesh against an opponent), Deck fixing, Agression (not necessarily translated to Aggro).
Preferred/Best Deck?: Either.
When did you start playing?: '98 Spring.

Walker AKA Avenged_Sixfold
Name: Walker Trull

Preferred Play Style: Control/anything I can increase my winning percentage with.

Preferred Color: Blue

Time Zones: East Coast, I'm available most of the time I'm not working

Preferred Student: Doesn't matter

What do you think you are best at teaching?: How to win

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): 9208166808

Preferred/Best Deck?: In Standard? 5-color control

When did you start playing?: Champions of Kamigawa casually, Time Spiral competitively.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Good players shouldn't have "weaknesses," and all aspects of the game should be strengths.

VeJi
Name: VeJi

Preferred Play Style: Anything unique, generally control.

Preferred Color: Blue, then red, but only red if it's with blue.

Time Zones: Pacific coast (better than East coast!!!)

Preferred Student: neruka, because she is a good learner.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: Perfection.

DCI Number (OPTIONAL):

Preferred/Best Deck?: U/r/g Gargadon/Teferi/Bust combo (rotated )

When did you start playing?: 2003

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Strength: No weakness

John AKA Islands
Name: John Preston Mathias

Preferred Play Style: Enigma and Aggro/Combo

Preferred Color: No preference, Prefer Blue and Black, but more as supplements than general strategies.

Time Zones: Live in Philly. Come see me. School at UPenn. EST

Preferred Student: Someone who listens, someone who takes their time and wants to grow, someone willing to test, and someone who is annoying or have ubernoob syndrome.

Deckbuilding.

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): 79571712 Not as high as it once was, but constructed rating is still over 18. Used to be nearly 19 when I was active, taken beats from casual FNMS. Win? Gain a point or 2. Lose? Well. Lose a bit.

Preferred/Best Deck?: Something that is playskill dependent BUT compressed with a linear but divergent game path.

When did you start playing?: Nemesis.

I can build pretty well and have a photographic memory so I know every card printed (that's playable or not uber new), by name and art.

I can play pretty well and in tourney settings am very tight.

Combat.

Weaknesses:

Arrogant to too high of a degree at times.
Inability to go to many major events.
Not as tight as I want to be.
Only decent at the other 15 of 60.

Results:
Finals of PTQ
2 PTQ T8s in Constructed (Of like 3 Attended [The one I missed was a funny story, I was playing the best deck ever in ChK Block Constructed, was in the game to get into T8 and lost to my opponent because his deck sucked.Huh? Eternal Dominion'd Him (Playing Gifts) and he as all junk in deck.])
Regionals 4th Place

Caldera42

Name: Caldera42
Preferred Play Style: Not aggro.
Preferred Color: In this format, white.
Time Zones: US CST
Preferred Student: Someone really bad.
What do you think you are best at teaching?: Limited.
Preferred/Best Deck?: Preferred? Bolshevik Sushi. Best? Anything with Reveillark in it.
When did you start playing?: Summer 2005.
(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Strength: I am good at teaching. Weakness: I am not very active in this format

Jeff AKA Atma
App for teacherdom

Name: Jeff Lore

Preferred Play Style: Combo, Control, Aggro, Permission (real warriors control without counterspells)

Preferred Color: Black, Red, Blue, Green, White

Time Zones: -5 (East Coast of the US)

Preferred Student: One who has AIM or MSN. Other than that, one who is at least 16 years of age

DCI Number: Haven't played a paper event since Regionals 08, and my MO Constucted rating has 1 event to go off of (1604)

Preferred Deck: In standard, Lark or 3 colored aggro.

When did you start playing?: June of 06

What are your strengths: explaining an idea or concept to someone.
What are your weaknesses: showing someone how to do something.

Both Teacher and Student

Laurids AKA AlienFinger79
Name: Laurids Rye

Preferred Play Style: Aggro, control or combo, whatever strikes my fancy. I'm better at building offensively minded decks (combo/aggro) than I am at building control though.

Preferred Color: Whatever.

Time Zones: GMT +1 (Copenhagen, Paris, Berlin)

Preferred Teacher: Whomever.

Preffered Student: Someone looking for more theoretical than practical lessons.

Preferred Deck: Either.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Technical play skill, especially aggro and control. When to extend and when to be patient.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: Theory. Why a certain deck ticks, why another blows. Deckbuilding skills, generally. I.e. I can't tell you how to play Sligh correctly, but I can tell you how to build it, why it works and what it works against.

When did you start playing?: I started playing in... 98'ish...? But that was strictly kitchen-table. Started actually learning about the game and formats and such back around Kamigawa.

Strengths and weaknesses: I think I covered that already.

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Reserved.

There are just a few things that I think need discussion. On the other board, you had many people asking whether being a good deck builder counts as well. I would say that it does count. So, I have an idea to make all the good deck builders even the odds against people who are good players but perhaps not as good deck builders.

The idea is simple, in addition to there being a regular tournament in which you might see RDW,WW, Fae, etc. there should be a separate tournament dedicated to the most original and powerful deck. This is a great thing to have because the Teacher can really explain how a deck is built. What works, what does not work, synergies, mana base, curve, and everything else someone might need to know about magic building. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

EDIT: Due to the HUGE response, I've had to put more of the teacher apps right here.

MOAR students
Jacob Aka Thoughtmage
Name: Jacob Marlowe
Preferred Playstyle: Control, but can handle the other styles as well.
Time Zone: Eastern
Preferred Teacher: Someone who is alive and good, I'm not picky.
Preferred Deck: With a bit of practice, anything. But I prefer either RG aggro or Ux-control.
Experience with MWS: Yes.
When Did You Start Playing: Sometime during Guildpact.
Admiring Qualities: Quick learner, works well with others, disciplined, and I take things in stride and don't worry much.
Less Than Admiring Qualities: Working on self confidence, a bit stubborn, and I try to take a statistical or scientific approach on almost everything.
What I wish to learn: How to compare card options for a slot in a deck better, and some other stuff that's up to my teacher
Niche
Name: Nick

Preferred Play Style: I falsely believe I can play any type of deck.

Preferred Color: Black.

Time Zones: CST

Preferred Teacher: MTG-Fan, of course. I'll also accept lessons from Cuerveza.

Preferred Deck:Something not scrubalicious.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: How to not be a scrubby scrub scrubalicious nooby nooblet.

When did you start playing?: 1995

What are your strengths and weaknesses?: I completely misevaluate cards basically 100% of the time, have terrible concepts for decks, and no idea how to judge a matchup when I finish scraping together a pile of crap. And that's just deckbuilding. When it comes to play mistakes, Wizards kept preventing me from submitting the post so I had to edit them out.

Anything else to add: Thanks for giving me a forum to air this out, I've been losing sleep figuring how I'd ask for help for quite some time.

Silasw
I might as well make my Mathias-barning complete.

Name: Silas Waltzer

Preferred Play Style: Combo, because it isn't fair.

Preferred Color: Anything.

Time Zones: US Eastern.

Preferred Teacher: Mathias/Islands.

Preferred Deck: Anything powerful that isn't a deck to beat. (I hate mirror matches.) I'm kind of a Timmy as well, so I like decks with ridiculous game-breaking plays.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": Yep.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Deckbuilding, especially manabases and sideboards.

When did you start playing?: The end of Mirrodin block.

Strengths: I can play Magic for an entire day without getting worse due to fatigue or boredom. I also have a good eye for overhyped decks.

Weaknesses: Impatience. I get anxious in long, drawn-out games, so I start making very risky plays to decide the game faster. I have trouble just sitting and thinking for a few minutes. I'm not a very tight player in general, anyway

Dyzzy
Name: d as in David

Preferred Play Style: I'm very good at aggro (at least I think I am), but I want to learn how to play control/mid-range.

Preferred Color: In this order: BURWG

Preferred Teacher: Anyone

Preferred Deck: RDW is my main deck (currently exploring Standard mono-red burn). I'm also working on BW mid-range/control and Jund Tokens.

Do you know how to use the "Forbidden Program": If this refers to A certain program, then yes (but I haven't touched it in years). If it refers to soMe other Wonderfully Secret program, then no.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Matchups, sideboard tech, timing plays.

When did you start playing?: Ice Age - Mirrodin very casually, quit until Alara, and now trying to get competitive (to the extent of at least doing well in FNM).

Strengths: I'm a very quick learner and good listener.

Weaknesses: Sometimes I won't listen to your advice immediately if it's contradictory to what I think is right or what others have told me (ex. I have Card A maindecked but you say it's bad and I should replace it with Card B). Then I just need to see for myself why you're right and I'm wrong and I'll listen to you

Show
Name: Jason (Harbz)

Preferred Play Style: Midrange >>> control

Preferred Color: Blue, Red, White, Black

Time Zones: UK time zone, 8pm onwards when in work, when ever on my days off.

Preferred Teacher:
I don't know them yet.

Preferred Deck:
Currently Boat Brew and B/W Tokens (Bant in progress)

Mana base building and sideboard movement.

During kamigawa but very casual.

Strengths:
Making plays and thinking too much

Weaknesses:
card judgement and everything to do with mana, oh and also spelling.

Contacts:

Xfire = Monthor

Email = [email]merick_y2k4@hotmail.com[/email]

BEANMAN

Preferred Deck: Well right now I am working on a reanimator style list, using corpse as a tutor for singleton bombs. Plays well, however dies to fae/tempo decks. Also am enjoying the Doran of the relic deck.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: The big issues I have are sb'ing for meta and creating an optimum mana base. My bases are usually made through a guesstimation and EXTREME trial and error.

Late 07'
(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Best MTG strength is to be able to pick up a deck and, quickly, get a decent grasp of the concept and how to play the deck.
Biggest MTG weakness is that I am unable to spot combo's and extremely good synergy from a pool of cards, even when it is staring me in the face.

More Teacher Apps

Erasmus AKA Brendan
Name: Erasmus/Brendan

Preferred Play Style: I much prefer playing control, or sometimes mid-range. I like playing the control side of any given matchup more than the aggro side.

Preferred Color: I do like green, but I have taken a liking to U/W since i started playing more competitively.

Time Zones: Sydney, Australia (+10)

Preferred Student: Someone who is fairly independent and is more looking for a teacher to bounce deck ideas/plays off. I have spent a little while out of the game, and am not a wonderful teacher, but I do know my way around the game. So, basically, someone more looking for a mentor to test/collaborative with that has experience than someone looking for a strict 'teacher'

Preferred Deck: I still have a great fondness for the 34Land.dec that came off these boards, and my old Mirrodin/Kamigawa UG control deck. In the current T2, probably some variant of Mana Ramp. I've only really just gotten back into it again recently.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": yup.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: I would probably like to mentor someone with a preference for playing aggro, since I've never enjoyed playing it as much. I think a role reversal where I could help them test by basically swapping decks, and we can attempt to help each other work out those matchups from the opposite side. It's nearly as important to understand the opponents plays as your own.

When did you start playing?: Since 2001 or so. First cards I bought was a Judgment precon. Started playing some tournaments in '03 or so.

Sisomic
Name: Sisomic

Preferred Play Style: I don't care what I play. I like control but I am horrible at it. I love aggro

Preferred Color: I actually prefer everything but black. I don't really know why I don't play much black, but I find myself prefer any other color. It goes like this: Green, Blue, White, Red. I took a survey and it said my color is White.

Time Zones: Central Time Zone (-6GMT)

Preferred Student: Anyone actually willing to learn. Deathcow looks like he is will learn to learn what I want to teach.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: The ability to understand cards. I am going to try to focus on teaching how to asses card value and what deck(s) it fits in. Some are more obvious than others.

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): I'm not going to give my DCI Number, but I will say that it isn't very high. I don't play many events and it is from my days of playing 1-2 ofs. *Shudder* It is around 1630. Not high at all. I still know my way around a deck. And I think that anyone I have challenged can agree with this.

Preferred/Best Deck?: Nightmare.dec. Just Kidding. I started playing competitively fairly recently so I'd say my most favorite would be Naya.dec. I really love a good ol' deck that is just "play creature, attack, win," even if the deck isn't any good.

When did you start playing?: I started playing way back in Darksteel. I didn't learn what drafting was until Ravnica. And I didn't start playing competitively until I came to college in the Fall of '07. I didn't become "good' (in which I would top 2-4 very frequently) until Lorwyn came out and I played with Merfolk.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: My strength is my analytical ability. I can see things that most cannot.

Weakness: I usually miss the things that I can usually see when I am the one playing. I get too heated and take it personal. I cannot keep my pride out of the game and it often costs me the game. I once blocked a 1/1 with my 9/9 Divinity of Life, even though I was at 30+ and would have won next turn. My opponent blew 3 damage on it from Chandra, killing it. Then played another one and blew 5. I couldn't believe I made such a mistake. I still won that game because "Boat Brew" isn't really that good against Divine 1Up!.

Carthwolf AKA Bryan Green
Name: Bryan Greer

I've grown to really enjoy control decks. The possibilities are endless. I have experience with Mid-Range and I dont care for Aggro.

In order of Preference: Blue, White, Green, Black, Red

Time Zones: I am Mountain. I am basically in the middle of the time zones. I'm available, but I usually only am on MSN. I rarely touch Aim these days.

Preferred Student: I hardly know anyone on here. I have an idea, but i don't think he has submitted an application.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: Basics and Theory. Understanding of Tempo.

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): 1206982053 I encourage all teachers to have this. http://webapp.wizards.com/ratings.aspx
Preferred/Best Deck?: I loved Lark in TSP block. That deck was so much fun to play and there were so many interactions. I have also had many tournaments with Faeries and feel i have the deck down as well as the mirror. I've been working more on a Solar flare deck and would like to see it in a competitive field.

When did you start playing?: Pfft, this is optional.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: At times i feel that i don't attack when I should, or i make mistakes in blocks that cost the game. using spells correctly. Making sure i recognize my mistakes to better learn from them

Hereforthehellofit AKA Joe
Name: Joe

Preferred Play Style: meta.

Preferred Color: rarely green.

Time Zones: UK

Preferred Student: Ive filled in the teacher form, as i have a great deal of experience playing, but I know there's still a lot for me to learn. Im looking for a player who can keep me from playing utter trash, but still understand that sometimes going rogue is the way. Oh, and they need to want to win, even if they don't currently. Im happy if that person is completely new, as long as they want to up their game.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: General Games Theory. Meta reading.

DCI Number (OPTIONAL):

Preferred/Best Deck?: Currently Fae. Messing with counterburn and UWG rogues.

When did you start playing?: ~7th ed release

I am a methodical logic thinker, and I have strong belief in my ability to out think my opponents. I play rogueish decks with stranger interactions because they give me an edge. I also play overpowered decks (ie fae). I love aggro control for its ability to beat the over confident control player. I love Midrange in my (currently) aggro-centric meta.
Unfortunately, it sometimes goes the wrong way, and ive overread the meta, or overestimated a deck.

Andrew AKA Kurtzman
Name: Andrew.

Preferred Play Style: Control (truly a combo johnny, but T2 lacks sufficient and playable combo)

Preferred Color: Blue.

Time Zones: GMT -6.

Preferred Student: Anyone that wants to work with me.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: I feel like I am a very effective pilot of 5CC/Cruel/QNT and am effective at playing control, holding wraths/cryptics, fixing play errors, and helping on

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): My DCI rating sucks, as I usually only draft and draft for fun.

Preferred/Best Deck?: 5cc.

When did you start playing?: Oi.... invasion block?

Weaknesses: I feel that I am weak because I am not known on these forums and feel like I would be judged as inadequate before I am given a chance.
I sometimes get greedy on plays. Sometimes am unreliable due to school.
Strengths: I feel I have a strong grasp on the control and the combo elements (although there is very little T2 combo). I feel as though I would be an effective teacher to a prospective 5cc or Fae player.

Benjamin AKA CageofPancakes
Name: Benjamin Rude

Preferred Play Style: Midrange/Control but can play anything thats handed to me.

Preferred Color: Dont have a favorite.

Time Zones: Bonney Lake, WA. Pacific Standard time.

Preferred Student: Doesnt really matter.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: Whatever, probley how to control the board with amazingness? Oh I could also teach chess. I WOULD TEACH HOW TO PWN!

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): Its been lost for a bit, but my rating is crap. I have been playing limited for such a long time and a lot of that time was when I was horrible and I tanked it so horribly.

Preferred/Best Deck?: I like Rock/MBC just because I have a ton of experience piloting both.

When did you start playing?: Merqadian Masques

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: When it comes to deckbuilding I still suck at contructing mana base's, and I overthink what I think my opponent has. Also I am goog at limited in general. I can draft a complete pile and just outplay people with it.

Izzet AKA Jan
Name: IzzetGuildmage, call me Izzet

Preferred Play Style: Control with a touch of combo.

Preferred Color: Blue with black, white or red support (or a combination of the three).

Time Zones: GMT +1, Amsterdam. I have time in my afternoons and evenings, roughly 4 PM till 1 AM my time.

Preferred Student: None, taking requests.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: Assuming players know the game, I would explain to my student how the stack works and how best to abuse it in combo and control decks.

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): This is just in case someone would like to challenge your 1337 skillz. 1203-645-434. I play mostly non-DCI sanctioned tournaments, so this doesn't say much about my 1337 skillz.

Preferred/Best Deck?: Really tough choice between Angelfire (firemane angel-style), Teachings, and Reveillark when Lark came out (I went undefeated that night playing 5 rounds of Swiss).

When did you start playing?: About 6 months before my account was created.

Strengths: I put alot of time in the game, and follow the Standard forums alot. I also test online and read articles about T2. This makes me quite experienced in the format. In-game, my strengths are that I make alot of succesful bluffs, often putting me ahead.
Weaknesses: I get overconfident sometimes... I once countered chrome mox just because I could, causing me to lose the game. I am also chaotic and WILL miss or forget at least one teaching appointment

People who are Matched

Avenged and evilweevil
Erasmus and SPanner
Atma and Chocobo
Cage and Cyklown
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I like it.

I think these forums arn't the place to start looking for inexperienced students though, mostly because this is for more avid players. If anything you should contact FNM (maybe its DCI you need to contact, no clue) and if you can actually make a program (with sign up sheets at local shops) word would get out.
I like it.

I think these forums arn't the place to start looking for inexperienced students though, mostly because this is for more avid players. If anything you should contact FNM (maybe its DCI you need to contact, no clue) and if you can actually make a program (with sign up sheets at local shops) word would get out.

Everything has to start somewhere, usually with humble beginnings.

I think this is as good a place as any to put it.

EDIT: Weird, the OP's sblocks aren't working for me.
This looks great, actually. Good way to increase the general pool of skilled players on these boards. I'm a bit busy just now, but I'll probably fill out a form later tonight (as a student, not a teacher).
I like it.

I disagree. My evidence? Go and look at most of the standard general decks.

Consider this a Beta, if it works out. Then I can organize it in real life and expand on it.

Edit: Check second post
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
:P I'd only participate if VeJi agreed to teach me. Actually I'm just joking. I'm willing to learn from anyone. I guess learning from multiple people might benefit me more anyway.

But for kicks here's my form:

Show

Name: Lauren aka neruka

Preferred Play Style: Everything; I'm better practiced at aggro than control, but I feel I can master both

Preferred Color: All colors are fine; however green seems to be the least interesting

Time Zones: Pacific

Preferred Teacher: VeJi

Preferred Deck: Anything and everything? Faeries would be the most challenging.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Making the correct play decisions at any given moment. Deck building itself is secondary but also important. I want to know what the best play move is at any given moment. I need a teacher that can pinpoint this kind of thing.

When did you start playing?: After the release of Morningtide. Never in a competitive setting. Thus far I have mainly drafted. I have no real constructed experience.
ok you guys are in.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Name:
Patrick

None, really, although I prefer not to play aggro.

None.

Eastern Standard Time, time availability changes.

Preferred Teacher:
Whoever.

Preferred Deck:
I switch decks a lot. My last two decks I devoted a lot of time to were Grixis Disruption/Machinehead and Standard Elves! Currently I'm fooling around with mana-ramp variants.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program":
Yes

General deckbuilding and piloting skill. Card choice, card evaluation, and making the correct play.

Two and a half years ago, when TSP block was first released.

Strengths: Flexible playstyle, openness to differing ideas.
Weaknesses: Occasionally I get frustrated and throw away games that I could have otherwise won.
Name: Walker Trull

Preferred Play Style: Control/anything I can increase my winning percentage with.

Preferred Color: Blue

Time Zones: East Coast, I'm available most of the time I'm not working

Preferred Student: Doesn't matter

What do you think you are best at teaching?: How to win

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): 9208166808

Preferred/Best Deck?: In Standard? 5-color control

When did you start playing?: Champions of Kamigawa casually, Time Spiral competitively.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Good players shouldn't have "weaknesses," and all aspects of the game should be strengths.
Name: VeJi

Preferred Play Style: Anything unique, generally control.

Preferred Color: Blue, then red, but only red if it's with blue.

Time Zones: Pacific coast (better than East coast!!!)

Preferred Student: neruka, because she is a good learner.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: Perfection.

DCI Number (OPTIONAL):

Preferred/Best Deck?: U/r/g Gargadon/Teferi/Bust combo (rotated )

When did you start playing?: 2003

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Strength: No weakness.
Ok, here I go.

Dunno if I should sign up as a student or as a teacher, so why not both =). I'll take the open slot (not both at once, mind you).

Show

Name: Laurids Rye

Preferred Play Style: Aggro, control or combo, whatever strikes my fancy. I'm better at building offensively minded decks (combo/aggro) than I am at building control though.

Preferred Color: Whatever.

Time Zones: GMT +1 (Copenhagen, Paris, Berlin)

Preferred Teacher: Whomever.

Preffered Student: Someone looking for more theoretical than practical lessons.

Preferred Deck: Either.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Technical play skill, especially aggro and control. When to extend and when to be patient.

What do you think you are best at teaching?: Theory. Why a certain deck ticks, why another blows. Deckbuilding skills, generally. I.e. I can't tell you how to play Sligh correctly, but I can tell you how to build it, why it works and what it works against.

When did you start playing?: I started playing in... 98'ish...? But that was strictly kitchen-table. Started actually learning about the game and formats and such back around Kamigawa.

Strengths and weaknesses: I think I covered that already.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
New question

Strengths: Uh... as a student, I am a very good listener and I remember what I've been told; I ask relevant questions; motivation is high
Weaknesses: Not aggressive enough in playing -- I have no idea how badly I would pilot a control deck; probably pretty badly; I feel I have a lot to learn

//Laurids Rye? That is an awesome name.
I believe that the teacher should choose his/her pupil so I'm opening myself up as a student for anyone who wishes to take me under their wing.;)
Name: Jacob Marlowe
Preferred Playstyle: Control, but can handle the other styles as well.
Time Zone: Eastern
Preferred Teacher: Someone who is alive and good, I'm not picky.
Preferred Deck: With a bit of practice, anything. But I prefer either RG aggro or Ux-control.
Experience with MWS: Yes.
When Did You Start Playing: Sometime during Guildpact.
Admiring Qualities: Quick learner, works well with others, disciplined, and I take things in stride and don't worry much.
Less Than Admiring Qualities: Working on self confidence, a bit stubborn, and I try to take a statistical or scientific approach on almost everything.
What I wish to learn: How to compare card options for a slot in a deck better, and some other stuff that's up to my teacher.
//Laurids Rye? That is an awesome name.

Not as cool as Walker Trull though.

@Avenged: Dunno why I think of that card when I read your name. That's a lie. It's 'cause your last names are similar and I wonder if you're related. If you are, I hope he got his looks from the other end of the family.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Name: Greg_the_Egg

Preferred Play Style: Winning

Preferred Color: Green, and .

Preferred Teacher: Kedi

Preferred Deck: Mana Ramp, Five Colour Control

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Metaing, Deck Fixing, Aggression (Definitely Aggression)

When did you start playing?: Before the release of Morningtide, but after the release of Lorowyn.

What are you strengths and weaknesses?: I'm good at limited. I'm bad at sleeping.
Umm, so I don't really frequent these forums any more, but I do blog for my website Greatplay.net.
I dunno, man.

Laurids Rye is an anagram of Idea Slurry. That just wins.
Name: Aaron Fernandez

Preferred Play Style: Whatever Avenged_sixfold hates.

Preferred Color: See above.

Time Zones: Hopefully a time zone that would make avenged get up at awkward times. Damn, we actually live in the same zone, but whatever.

Preferred Teacher: Avenged_sixfold

Preferred Deck: See preferred style.
Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": of course
What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: How to annoy avenged especially well.

When did you start playing?: 2003? Maybe '02, can't remember.

strengths: I think I'm pretty good at annoying avenged and especially lylac.
weaknesses: I'm not actually eligible to annoy him because I'm not a noob (no contrary statements lylac, please).
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
Greg you are going as a student? Alright, I'll put you down for it. However, if the students to teachers ratio is unbalanced then would you become a teacher? I believe you are more than capable to teach. If I am wrong, please inform me.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I dunno, man.

You a funny kid, ont you?
If I was going to be in this I'd have kedi as my teacher!
I dunno, man.

Idea Slurry or Slurry Idea? I'll adapt that as my stage name as a rock star and become immensely famous. Go go Rock n' Roll!
I didn't mean that this is a bad place to post it- that definatly wasn't my intention. I was just trying to expand on your idea.

anyways ill give this a shot, sounds fun.

Show

Name: Jake Smith.

Preferred Play Style: Aggro or tempo.

Preferred Color: Red.

Time Zones: PST. Sacramento California.

Preferred Teacher: Anyone with the knowledge to expand my playskill.

Preferred Deck:Right now I play RDW and Boat Brew. I think ive reached what I consider the optimal builds with those and i've won the past four standard fnm's but that isn't necessarily saying anything at all.

Do know how to use the "Forbidden Program": I use it about once a week. Not a MWS ninja yet.

What are you looking to learn most from this teaching?: Original deck building mostly; being able to find the more optimal lists for already determined archetypes;great/playable card identification.

When did you start playing?: Seventh edition, but I was about ten. I came back and started playing comp. right after the Lorwyn release.

(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Thats hard for me to determine about myself. I would assume the ability to predict what my opponent is going to do based on the deck they are playing/ analyzing the board well enough to see all of the possible plays/ setting myself up to played forced misplays. Happens sometimes.

Idea Slurry or Slurry Idea? I'll adapt that as my stage name as a rock star and become immensely famous. Go go Rock n' Roll!

Slurry Idea? Makes less sense. Slurry is not an adjective; it's a noun. But I think most people wouldn't care. I guess in this order it sounds slightly cooler.
I didn't mean that this is a bad place to post it- that definatly wasn't my intention. I was just trying to expand on your idea.

anyways ill give this a shot, sounds fun.

Ah okay then, I understand. I like that idea a lot actually. And I think (depending on how this goes) there should be a "Magic School" kind of thing. It would be similar to a thread with tons of articles about magic theory in it.

And yes, I think it would be a very good things if we could try and get this implemented into real life via card shops and (I can dream) maybe Wizards will pick it up.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Slurry Idea? Makes less sense. Slurry is not an adjective; it's a noun. But I think most people wouldn't care. I guess in this order it sounds slightly cooler.

Not to argue a meek point but so is Idea...
Whatever - English is my second language. Idea Slurry is cool. :p
Ah okay then, I understand. I like that idea a lot actually. And I think (depending on how this goes) there should be a "Magic School" kind of thing. It would be similar to a thread with tons of articles about magic theory in it.

And yes, I think it would be a very good things if we could try and get this implemented into real life via card shops and (I can dream) maybe Wizards will pick it up.

If I could get a real pro to teach me (for free of course) I would so sign up for that. Even just for a week.

But then again, just because they're really good players doesn't mean they know jack about teaching other people how to play. This actually takes a lot of skill to do. Teaching strategy for something as complex as Magic seems nontrivial.
Not to argue a meek point but so is Idea...
Whatever - English is my second language. Idea Slurry is cool. :p

Ah, yes. But in English, "Idea" is thrown around as a descriptive term often. For example, "Idea Wagon" would be a wagon full of ideas. Or "Idea Man" would be the man to go to for ideas.

Shrug. Maybe it doesn't make sense. Oh well. English is silly.
Name: John Preston Mathias

Preferred Play Style: Enigma and Aggro/Combo

Preferred Color: No preference, Prefer Blue and Black, but more as supplements than general strategies.

Time Zones: Live in Philly. Come see me. School at UPenn. EST

Preferred Student: Someone who listens, someone who takes their time and wants to grow, someone willing to test, and someone who is annoying or have ubernoob syndrome.

Deckbuilding.

DCI Number (OPTIONAL): 79571712 Not as high as it once was, but constructed rating is still over 18. Used to be nearly 19 when I was active, taken beats from casual FNMS. Win? Gain a point or 2. Lose? Well. Lose a bit.

Preferred/Best Deck?: Something that is playskill dependent BUT compressed with a linear but divergent game path.

When did you start playing?: Nemesis.

I can build pretty well and have a photographic memory so I know every card printed (that's playable or not uber new), by name and art.

I can play pretty well and in tourney settings am very tight.

Combat.

Weaknesses:

Arrogant to too high of a degree at times.
Inability to go to many major events.
Not as tight as I want to be.
Only decent at the other 15 of 60.

Results:
Finals of PTQ
2 PTQ T8s in Constructed (Of like 3 Attended [The one I missed was a funny story, I was playing the best deck ever in ChK Block Constructed, was in the game to get into T8 and lost to my opponent because his deck sucked.Huh? Eternal Dominion'd Him (Playing Gifts) and he as all junk in deck.])
Regionals 4th Place
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Worst student ever

Late 07'
If I could get a real pro to teach me (for free of course) I would so sign up for that. Even just for a week.

But then again, just because they're really good players doesn't mean they know jack about teaching other people how to play. This actually takes a lot of skill to do. Teaching strategy for something as complex as Magic seems nontrivial.

I agree. However, if we can get something to get off the ground, I mean anything, there are a lot of ways to sponsor such "classes." I am also sure that some pro's would not mind taking a day off or two to give a seminar on magic theory/strategy.

If it got to that point, you could do something very similar to what Wizards is already doing with their Youtube videos, but have it from the pros. I mean, part of the reason I watch the Magic Show is because you get to hear the pro's talk about their often expert opinions on these subjects.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Name: Caldera42
Preferred Play Style: Not aggro.
Preferred Color: In this format, white.
Time Zones: US CST
Preferred Student: Someone really bad.
What do you think you are best at teaching?: Limited.
Preferred/Best Deck?: Preferred? Bolshevik Sushi. Best? Anything with Reveillark in it.
When did you start playing?: Summer 2005.
(New Question) What are you strengths and weaknesses?: Strength: I am good at teaching. Weakness: I am not very active in this format.
57023148 wrote:
People really think WotC is reprinting Lightning Bolt? Really? Are people that gullible?
I agree. However, if we can get something to get off the ground, I mean anything, there are a lot of ways to sponsor such "classes." I am also sure that some pro's would not mind taking a day off or two to give a seminar on magic theory/strategy.

If it got to that point, you could do something very similar to what Wizards is already doing with their Youtube videos, but have it from the pros. I mean, part of the reason I watch the Magic Show is because you get to hear the pro's talk about their often expert opinions on these subjects.

Ah, right. I've watched many Magic YouTube videos, but I don't remember learning anything interesting from them.

Except for, of course, Mike Flores' videos. Which are all amazing.
Ah, right. I've watched many Magic YouTube videos, but I don't remember learning anything interesting from them.

Except for, of course, Mike Flores' videos. Which are all amazing.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Flores' videos are what I am referring to.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Oh ok. They also make instructional videos for beginners, no?

But yeah, I enjoy Flores. He seems like a cool guy.

Esidarap Regavar is a cool guy too.

Correct they do.

Hmm...was there not an archive that used to exist for articles people had written? As a separate project, I say we should bring that back, just need an appropriate way to organize it.

Btw, OP updated, Teachers start looking for your pupils. Also, Tuesday I will start listing the people who are paired up.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Esidarap Regavar is a cool guy too.

Who?
Who?

Doobious Jenkinous.
Doobious Jenkinous.

What?
App for teacherdom

Name: Jeff Lore

Preferred Play Style: Combo, Control, Aggro, Permission (real warriors control without counterspells)

Preferred Color: Black, Red, Blue, Green, White

Time Zones: -5 (East Coast of the US)

Preferred Student: One who has AIM or MSN. Other than that, one who is at least 16 years of age

DCI Number: Haven't played a paper event since Regionals 08, and my MO Constucted rating has 1 event to go off of (1604)

Preferred Deck: In standard, Lark or 3 colored aggro.

When did you start playing?: June of 06

What are your strengths: explaining an idea or concept to someone.
What are your weaknesses: showing someone how to do something.
2:25 PM sneakattackkid: my basics are worth more... 5:21 PM Nighthavk_: I was splitting more 8-4s than a hooker splits her legs. 11:42 PM Nighthavk_: because honestly, your opponent may be caw, but he'll probably be a drooling idiot who just found out porn exists.