What's the biggest Jerk Move you've ever done?

280 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any plays in particular that angers people? Done something that, outside of a game, would be frowned upon?

My all time favorite is this:

I was playing a Two Headed Giant with my buddy. He was playing Mycoloth/Predator Dragon red/green deck and I was playing Planes-razer. Our opponents were Goblins and Exalted. My teammate had a Mycoloth with 8 +1/+1 counters on it and about 16 saprolings. He was going to end the game next turn. Our opponents had one creature each. It was my turn. So, what did I do? I Wrath of God-ed the field. Mainly because we had been joking about which of us would land the killing blow b/c the game was lopsided (we were practically guaranteed to win). My buddy got really angry, and we went for another five turns or so before he folded. Now, whenever we play multiplayer FFA, I'm the one that goes down first. Still, it was 100% worth it to see the look on their faces when I tapped out for the Wrath.
Knowing somebody is mana screwed and destroying their lands anyways, then using cards like Thoughtseize to strip their lower cost cards from their hand is pretty good.
Knowing somebody is mana screwed and destroying their lands anyways, then using cards like Thoughtseize to strip their lower cost cards from their hand is pretty good.

Feel like that's more good strategy than being a jerk. The OP was a great example of being a jerk. When I'm on a lopsidded team I'm always trying to even the score by being a jerk to my teammate.
Gifts Ungiven for Nevinyrral's Disk, Wrath of God, Leyline of Singularity and Eternal Witness, when my opponent was playing tokens and it was clear I was going to win anyway. I mostly did it because he was talking smack before we played, and I liked to watch his shoulders slump.
Turn 1 Thoughtseize, turn 2 Tidehollow Sculler, turn 3 Blightning, then start in on their manabase with Ajani V, Fulminator Mage and similar. That's pretty mean.
They say that life's a carousel, spinning fast you've got to ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's heaven and hell, oh well!
Gifts Ungiven for Nevinyrral's Disk, Wrath of God, Leyline of Singularity and Eternal Witness, when my opponent was playing tokens and it was clear I was going to win anyway. I mostly did it because he was talking smack before we played, and I liked to watch his shoulders slump.

This makes me smile on the inside (and on the outside).

Also, almost everyone else listed Thoughtseize as part of their jerk move plan. Is Cashsieze that badly hated? I can think of a lot of things that are way worse than that.
1,000 Posts - February 4th, 2009 2,000 Posts - April 14th, 2009 3,000 Posts - June 21st, 2009 4,000 Posts - August 27, 2009 You Make the Flavor! I speak my mind and I'm blunt. Don't take offense to my posts if they seem rude :/ my ref list I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Umm, so I don't really frequent these forums any more, but I do blog for my website Greatplay.net.
Aftermath of a really long 4-way FFA which involved my friend playing like 800 Beacon of Immorality and sitting somewhere at 1k life. Ghostly Prison combined with the threat of 2 other players with heavy boards prevents me from attacking him. Everyone knows he's going to win since he can cycle the Beacons back into his deck while we deck out.

My field: Virulent Sliver, Muscle Sliver, Sinew Sliver, Crystalline Sliver, Winged Sliver, Aether Vial with 2 counters. 8 lands.

Hand: Brainstorm and Force of Will.

Turn: Brainstorm into Psionic Sliver, Virulent Sliver and Brainstorm. Return Force of Will and Brainstorm.

I'm pretty sure the play is obvious. :p
Throwing a Fae deck into a pond, deck box and all.

[color=white]No, I did not really do this.[/color]
Umm, so I don't really frequent these forums any more, but I do blog for my website Greatplay.net.
I see what you tried to do, Gaetale, but it doesn't work. Poison triggers off of combat damage.

I think turn 1 Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Mind Twist for 6 cards is just cruel. Never seen it, likely never will, but even so.
They say that life's a carousel, spinning fast you've got to ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's heaven and hell, oh well!
I see what you tried to do, Gaetale, but it doesn't work. Poison triggers off of combat damage.

I think turn 1 Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Mind Twist for 6 cards is just cruel. Never seen it, likely never will, but even so.

That's just evil. I never wish to see that happen - ever.
Lol. Jerk move if there ever was any. One that I'm getting increasingly frustrated in my play group is the double standard. Do-overs are completely acceptable - if you forget to play a land, or attack with a creature (before blockers are declared) or you want to not play a spell (before response). Now that I play a standard deck, I almost always win, so if I forget something, they flat out refuse to let me do it. And it's simple things like use Elspeth's +1 to make a soldier token, or Garruks to keep 2 lands untapped. I'm really starting to get fed up with them, because they expect me to give them all the do-overs they want.
Lol. Jerk move if there ever was any. One that I'm getting increasingly frustrated in my play group is the double standard. Do-overs are completely acceptable - if you forget to play a land, or attack with a creature (before blockers are declared) or you want to not play a spell (before response). Now that I play a standard deck, I almost always win, so if I forget something, they flat out refuse to let me do it. And it's simple things like use Elspeth's +1 to make a soldier token, or Garruks to keep 2 lands untapped. I'm really starting to get fed up with them, because they expect me to give them all the do-overs they want.

To be fair, the jerk move that I see here is you playing a deck that is far superior to your opponent's. When I play against people with weaker decks than mine, I let them know this and offer to lend them one of my decks or I play with one of theirs.
By letting an opponent NOT take back things, you are helping them. By letting them, you are hurting them. Even if it's to test a deck's capabilities. For example:

You are trying out a new Treefolk deck. You lay a Bosk Banneret on turn 2. Turn 3 you lay another Banneret, tapping 2 lands, then say go. Sure, you are new to the deck and you aren't playing at a Grand Prix, but if your opponent allows you to untap that land and take back the life, they are not setting it into your brain to remember all of the effects of your deck. Remember: The most memorable knowledge comes from mistakes. Losses are more easily remembered than wins, and making a mistake that costs you will help you in the long run. If the opponent allows the take-back, you will write the mistake off because you felt no pain.
To be fair, the jerk move that I see here is you playing a deck that is far superior to your opponent's. When I play against people with weaker decks than mine, I let them know this and offer to lend them one of my decks or I play with one of theirs.

The thing is, there's two groups where I play. The ones who don't really care and screw around, and the group which is uber competitive, and plays standard with proxies cards. They have no limit on their deck construction. They just don't like that I'm playing a good deck (in which the cards are real)
Them: Godless Shrine tapped, go.
Me: Swamp, Rack you, go.
Them: Orzhov Basillica, go.
Me: Swamp, Smallpox.
Them: ...That's harsh.

Pox and its varients are dirty cards, for the most part. I miss Smallpox, it provoked a lot of 'That does what? ...For how much?' responses.
My decks comes in two sizes: 40 and 100.
By letting an opponent NOT take back things, you are helping them. By letting them, you are hurting them. Even if it's to test a deck's capabilities. For example:

You are trying out a new Treefolk deck. You lay a Bosk Banneret on turn 2. Turn 3 you lay another Banneret, tapping 2 lands, then say go. Sure, you are new to the deck and you aren't playing at a Grand Prix, but if your opponent allows you to untap that land and take back the life, they are not setting it into your brain to remember all of the effects of your deck. Remember: The most memorable knowledge comes from mistakes. Losses are more easily remembered than wins, and making a mistake that costs you will help you in the long run. If the opponent allows the take-back, you will write the mistake off because you felt no pain.

I believe you (and everyone else who thinks this way) is incorrect. Letting them take back the play doesn't really help them or hurt them. Its them knowing that they made a mistake and what that mistake is that helps them. When I playtest with my friends, we point out things to each other all the time. We even make each other take back plays in order for us to learn. Winning only matters when its a tourney, but everywhere else, its all for fun. To get into tourney mode, we play for real with no free mulligans and no take backs.

If you want to help them, tell them what the mistake was and what the correct play is.
I believe you (and everyone else who thinks this way) is incorrect. Letting them take back the play doesn't really help them or hurt them. Its them knowing that they made a mistake and what that mistake is that helps them. When I playtest with my friends, we point out things to each other all the time. We even make each other take back plays in order for us to learn. Winning only matters when its a tourney, but everywhere else, its all for fun. To get into tourney mode, we play for real with no free mulligans and no take backs.

If you want to help them, tell them what the mistake was and what the correct play is.

Not as effective, but it's an option. Trust me, when someone can't take something back, they won't make the mistake again, which helps immensely.

Pox and its varients are dirty cards, for the most part. I miss Smallpox, it provoked a lot of 'That does what? ...For how much?' responses.

Lol.

replace the swamps with islands or steam vents, and smallpox with boomerang. Repeat basically every turn, utilizing stone rains and such... God I miss Magnivore!
Not as effective, but it's an option. Trust me, when someone can't take something back, they won't make the mistake again, which helps immensely.

I agree that it helps prevent them from making the same mistake again, but if you really want to help them, make them understand why it was a wrong play and what the right play is. Simply telling them that they shouldn't try to remove a faerie when you know they have a scion and 3 mana open doesn't exactly tell them why it is not a good idea. It also doesn't help them learn to play around fae because no they don't know what to do.

I agree that it helps, but you can help them more by letting them take it back and play it correctly.
if your goal is to teach someone to be a better player the most important thing is they know the mistakes they make whether you let them take their plays back or not (after you explain the mistake) is largely irrelevant

but in this situation the person already knows they made the wrong play on their own (otherwise why would they ask for a re-do) so teaching is not really the issue
if your goal is to teach someone to be a better player the most important thing is they know the mistakes they make whether you let them take their plays back or not (after you explain the mistake) is largely irrelevant

but in this situation the person already knows they made the wrong play on their own (otherwise why would they ask for a re-do) so teaching is not really the issue

Exactly. Thank you for writing that for me.

I understand that makes them a better player, but I meant to make them even better, teach them the other half. They know what the mistake was (because they asked for the redo), but since they made the mistake, they probably do not know the (most?) correct play is. By giving them the redo, they will hopefully play the correct play and then from there see what that play meant, etc.

There is more to that mistake than the play itself. They have to understand the effects of both decisions. They should already know the lasting affect of the mistake, but do they know how the correct play will affect them later in the game?

Anyways, I apologize to everyone else for the derailment and ask that you all just continue with the topic.
My situation doesn't teach them anything they didn't know. If the situation involves a play error they aren't aware of, of course I'd tell them what to do. But not let them take it back in most scenarios.
I was just playing my recently-made Naya Kithkin deck (with the lovely Thoctar of course). Best two out of three, each game I EOTed Naya tapped the opponent's creatures. They I attacked the opponent for his/her remaining life exactly (7 and 14 respectively).

Second game was the funniest. I had a Cenn, Stalwart, and Thoctar on the field. I had Naya and a freshly drawn Wilt-Leaf Liege in hand with a land. I was thinking of playing the liege before the naya. Fortunately, I changed my mind and passed the turn (opponent had a Packmaster with wolf tokens). My opponent tapped all of his mana to make wolf tokens to stall. EOT, I naya tapped them all. I played the liege my turn, and I attacked for game. The opponent stormed out while I laughed.
Casting Cruel Ultimatum.
I don't know,
T1: Secluded Glen (revealing bitterblossom) > Ancestral Vision?
or maybe
T1: Secluded Glen (revealing bitterblossom) > Thoughtseize?

In all seriousness though, my friend and I both played ext 2HG with Erayo affinity with 4x main deck Arcane Laboratory.

When we had to stop that, I played ext turbo fog (Isochron Scepter + Moment's Peace) and he played Decree of Justice tron. Ya we won a lot. Sadly the store stopped 2hg all together . The shop now caters more toward Yugioh. I can't blame the shop owner some of those Yugioh cards sell for as much as whole magic decks.
Back at uni, I used to play Isochron + Naturalize against my friend's Artifact deck. Sometimes, I'd Isochron + Incinerate with my goblin deck. Fun times.
Played a Furystoke Giant. Tapped my Thornweald Archer to deal two damage to my Protean Hulk. Search library for all creatures with cmc <7 and then sacrifice all of them but Mycoloth to Mycoloth. Then attacked with a Borborygmos, enchanted with a Runes of the Dues.

It was his deck.:D
Back at uni, I used to play Isochron + Naturalize against my friend's Artifact deck. Sometimes, I'd Isochron + Incinerate with my goblin deck. Fun times.

I've always wanted to get the first turn Island, crome mox, scepter imprinting orim's chant combo, but sadly never have.

Another funny story, not involving me was this:

When I first started playing, I played with 2 friends mainly. We proxied a lot of cards because we didn't really own any. So anyway 1 of my friends brings a UW control net deck in and crushes with our little jank combos mercilessly. The friend continues to use this deck every game sucking the fun right out of it for us.

My other friend (john) gets fed up with losing all the time so he makes a jank version of 8 moon.dec. He then crushes the UW control deck because it cant handle moon effects. Control player storms out and we are at an impasse.

The next day he comes back again with a big ol' grin on his face and says he wants to play. So John obliges and promptly loses the first game to his UW control deck. In come the moons from the SB. Low and behold Turn 5 or so a blood moon gets forced through. T8 from the UW control decks sees a . John flips out and the UW control player (and me watching from the sideline) burst out laughing.
I've always wanted to get the first turn Island, crome mox, scepter imprinting orim's chant combo, but sadly never have.

Another funny story, not involving me was this:

When I first started playing, I played with 2 friends mainly. We proxied a lot of cards because we didn't really own any. So anyway 1 of my friends brings a UW control net deck in and crushes with our little jank combos mercilessly. The friend continues to use this deck every game sucking the fun right out of it for us.

My other friend (john) gets fed up with losing all the time so he makes a jank version of 8 moon.dec. He then crushes the UW control deck because it cant handle moon effects. Control player storms out and we are at an impasse.

The next day he comes back again with a big ol' grin on his face and says he wants to play. So John obliges and promptly loses the first game to his UW control deck. In come the moons from the SB. Low and behold Turn 5 or so a blood moon gets forced through. T8 from the UW control decks sees a . John flips out and the UW control player (and me watching from the sideline) burst out laughing.

You have a fun playgroup.
when the standard dredge deck was around and i was playing turbo fog at regs as the match ups seemed ok enough to play it.

Watching this guy combo out on turn three making loads of tokens and going down to 10 cards in his deck and then trying to swing for lethal damage followed up by me tapping a plains for Holy day follow by a wrath of god next turn.

everyone hated that deck.
If I'm dying in a multiplayer game I will play any spells I can even if it helps the person who is killing me. Anyone else do this?
If I'm dying in a multiplayer game I will play any spells I can even if it helps the person who is killing me. Anyone else do this?

me and my friends will usually do a 3 player match and if I am about to lose, I decide who wins. Tap out and attack just one person, usually I like getting revenge.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I played against someone who made a second Wydwen, the Biting Gale. I said "resolves", and he looked at his hand, deciding what to do next. I simply reached across the table and put the two legends in his bin. He cursed and put one back in his hand, I screamed for the judge, irate he'd do such a thing.

This was at FNM.
Him: (Emptying his hand), Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Dragonstorm.
Me: Luminesce.
I decide who wins.

That's what I'm saying.. It's fun to play the spoiler.
Sign In to post comments