Tapatims Type 2 Deck Clinic

38 posts / 0 new
Last post

UPDATE: 1/24/2011

Hope I'm not treading on any advertising rules here, but, after eight long years of operation, TDC is at long last closing shop for the foreseeable future...to reopen where I've been hired over at Tcgplayer's standard forums.

I wouldn't rule out ever returning here, but if folks are looking for some clinic-advice from me, that's where you can find it until further notice.

Take care guys!

Tapatim's Type 2 Deck Clinic - Est. 2003

Hello, everyone. This is a deck clinic where you can post your decklists for advice from deck doctors and other users. First established in 2003 by the illustrious Tapatim, I've been handling the day to day operation since a few months after he founded it and kept the torch burning ever since. We welcome rogues, archetypes, random piles of cards, budget concerns, new set updates: anything which you could use a hand on.

We're always looking for new volunteers to become deck doctors, so if you're interested, don't hesitate to jump in and/or drop me a line about signing on.

A scattered few of you may also know me as a feature writer at brainburst/tcgplayer (Greg McCleery), or as Azrael from Mtgsalvation. I've been playing continuously since 1995, with a tendency to find homes for neglected orphans like Stonehewer Giant, Pillory of the Sleepless, Hurricane, Tower Above, and Genju of the Fields. I've also accomplished a little on the PTQ and PT circuits. Building and tweaking decks is what I enjoy most about the game, so I'm always happy to wrack my brain to help you find worthwhile advice and collaborate on ideas.

Current Deck Doctors: Wx

Backup/Retired Docs- John Mathias, Ner'Zuhl Lord of Darkness/Illidan Stormage, Tapatim, Weapon X, Xukko the Unholy, Broken Wings, Universal Snip, WrathofChris, Volrath Outside the Door, Capashen Dawn, Crimson Lancer, Nolaw, Pandman64, Vodka7up, Antilles, MagicMaster, Krowzy, Clam I Am, Jenius, Oracle VIII, Green Mycon, Doodlebird, Kavu Lancer, and many others.

Senior Deck Doctor at Tapatim's Deck Clinic: the oldest, most respected deck clinic on the boards. (est. Dec 2003) Simply post your deck list in the thread above, and we'll help you troubleshoot it, tech it, and help analyze problem matchups. Rogues, archetypes, and random piles of cards are all welcome. Current Deck Doctors: Wx Backup/Retired Docs- John Mathias, Ner'Zuhl Lord of Darkness/Illidan Stormage, Tapatim, Weapon X, Xukko the Unholy, Broken Wings, Universal Snip, WrathofChris, Volrath Outside the Door, Capashen Dawn, Crimson Lancer, Nolaw, Pandman64, Vodka7up, Antilles, MagicMaster, Krowzy, Clam I Am, Jenius, Oracle VIII, Green Mycon, Doodlebird, Kavu Lancer, and many others who volunteered over the years.

decklist as follows is currently 23w  9L, im not sure if this is good or bad.

It is kinda budget- no figures or demigods or thoughtsiezes and the like for me =-/.

4 blightning

4 lightning bolt

4 flame javelin

4 volcanic fallout

4 hellspark elemental

4 anathemancer

4 goblin assault

2 magma spray

2 banefire

1 hell's thunder

2 chandra nalaar

5 swamps

10 mountains

5 trilands (r/b)

1 veinfire borderpost

SB:

3 infest

4 deathmark

3 doomblade

1 gutteral response

2 manabarbs

2 magmaspray

I welcome any advice or suggestions. The deck seems to have the hardest time with kith or elfball (STRICTLY on the merit of mark of asylum and Forgetender being so brutal.)

It seems to do well vs faries by making bitterblossum kill them often, and against controlish decks by overrunning them with the tokens.  Baneslayer and larks can be nasty first game, but g2 sb with deathmarks and the other 2 magma sprays pretty much end that problem.

I wish there were more RFG effects i could add, as finks/glenmage/unearthing critters, makeshift, are still seeing alot of play.

The sideboard does not feel perfect either. and i'm still on the fence about chandra (originally i had 3 hell's thunder but was swayed by the point of runed halo being able to cut me off at the knees without more diveristy in my threats.

-gravitygroove

Link to my original post: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Please and thank you =)

here is my deck for critique

lands: 234 mistvein borderpost3 arcane sanctum10 swamps6 islands

creatures:25

4 death baron4 cemetary reaper2 infectious horror3 fatestitcher4 grixis grimblade4 vedalken ghoul4 lich lord of unx

other:12

4 agony warp4 executioner's capsule4 doom blade

side:15

4 jhessian zombies4 kathari remnant4 drudge skeletons1 island2 coat of arms

and if you know or anyone know can you tell me how i can get my signature back?

also the sideboard could use some help. i'd like to keep the island in though and the regenerating guys if possible, if not then oh well.

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.

I know about sigs. When viewing a thread (like this one) look in the top left-hand corner of the page. There's a button called Preferences. In there, you have the option to make a sig.

I would be glad to help critique decks if you need people.

Decks
Standard: Mage-Blade EDH: Rafiq of the Many

thanks.

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.

decklist as follows is currently 23w  9L, im not sure if this is good or bad.

It is kinda budget- no figures or demigods or thoughtsiezes and the like for me =-/.

No problem, we can work with that. If we had access to a little cash, I'd definitely opt for an Auntie's Hovel package and work in Boggart Ram Gang, Sign in Blood, possibly even Graveborn Muse. As is, a little more challenging.

First time I looked at the list, I wanted to cut from the bottom. Magma Spray, Chandra, Hell's Thunder, Banefire, Goblin Assault. But there's good reasoning behind small numbers of each. You need Spray to RFG, Chandra gives you late-game potential, as does Thunder and Banefire. And Goblin Assault is your finishing power; sorely needed without Demigod around. But, perhaps not as consistent as it needs to be.

So. That being the case, which slots can wiggle?

We get a fair amount of long-game potential thanks to Anathemancer; especially if we bump up to 22 land for consistency. That may solve some long-term damage problems, if we can make sure you wipe the board well.

Dragonskull Summit should be a good investment for you. We're working on a budget here, but getting at least a couple of those should help you over the long haul.

I think the Goblin Assault has to go. Most decks in the format should be able to deal with it fairly easily. Between Maelstrom Pulse, Esper Charm, and blockers, I suspect it's going to be too inconsistent. And 20 three drops is too many.

If we weren't so close to the rotation, I'd say get ahold of some Sygg, River Cutthroat. Hmm.

Perhaps Colfenor's Plans *strokes chin* One-shot Necro, without the pain. It'd be better still if we could find a way to sac it, but perhaps if you simply run multiples of it, or alternative card-drawing sources, or unearth cards... Ah ha! Hell's Thunder, you may actually do us some good now.

The major risk of Plans is that after your 7 card burst, you run out of gas. But with B/R, the game shouldn't last all that long anyways. 7 extra cards will usually be enough to finish them if you time it correctly, and adding unearth cards into the mix only increases your staying power. Also, you can go Plans into Plans from time to time, with 4 in the deck. Better still, once it resolves there's not much they can do about it. Cruel Ultimatum can't make you discard your plan-cards. If they blow it up or bounce it, you're thrilled. That may be some very, very interesting tech for you.

Also, drawing seven cards at once ought to give you a good shot at drawing enough lands to bring back Anathemancers for a 2nd round of action, or make Banefire lethal.

And if Kithkin is a problem, Ignite Disorder and Chaotic Backlash should definitely help.

Suggested List:

3 magma spray

4 lightning bolt

4 hellspark elemental

4 flame javelin

4 blightning

4 anathemancer

4 volcanic fallout

3 Hell's Thunder

4 Colfenor's Plans

2 banefire

2 chandra nalaar

22 Land

5 swamps

8 mountains

3 Dragonskull Summit (or veinfire borderposts, in the meantime)

5 trilands (r/b)

1 veinfire borderpost (or D. Summit)

SB:

3 infest

4 deathmark

4 Ignite Disorder

2 manabarbs

2 Chaotic Backlash

I'd give that a shot. The major problem with B/R is being able to refuel and avoid running out of gas. With 4 Plans and a good, solid, 12-card unearth package, you have a good chance of gaining back-breaking card advantage and finishing your opponents before you run out of cards again.

Senior Deck Doctor at Tapatim's Deck Clinic: the oldest, most respected deck clinic on the boards. (est. Dec 2003) Simply post your deck list in the thread above, and we'll help you troubleshoot it, tech it, and help analyze problem matchups. Rogues, archetypes, and random piles of cards are all welcome. Current Deck Doctors: Wx Backup/Retired Docs- John Mathias, Ner'Zuhl Lord of Darkness/Illidan Stormage, Tapatim, Weapon X, Xukko the Unholy, Broken Wings, Universal Snip, WrathofChris, Volrath Outside the Door, Capashen Dawn, Crimson Lancer, Nolaw, Pandman64, Vodka7up, Antilles, MagicMaster, Krowzy, Clam I Am, Jenius, Oracle VIII, Green Mycon, Doodlebird, Kavu Lancer, and many others who volunteered over the years.

just got done with a daily event 4 round. lost 1st to kithin, my deck matchup. My sb was 75% kith hate, and i STILL got totally run into the dirt by that matchup. (4deathmark3doomblade 3 infest!!!) and i STILL lost.

BFT, cloudgoats, and honor of the pure negating my sweepers.. i just don't see a way r/b can beat kith ever, period, sb or no.

next 2 matches, faries, u/b varient, won in 2.

baneslayer control, i drew double blightning in match 1, no contest. I magma sprayed a newly cast glen mage. twice. Game over.

my final match for 6 packs (and my first actual prize win potentially) was against u/b faries again.

First match i with damage to face, and hellsparks.

2 nd match i saw a 2nd turn bitterblossums and drew no fallout. ever.

match 3? good mana, good cards, turn 3 bb, and again, not one. fhajshkjasd fallout. 3 games, and not one fallout.

I had the games if not for the evil cards. Both game 2 and 3, i had the fae player severely burned, and flame javed to response to mistbinds a few times.

the colfers plans is an interesting idea. the deck is supposed to be winning turn 8 or so anyhow.

gobo assault is getting removed alot. Esper charms, pridemages, acidic slimes, one oring... but i think like bitterblossums, its a remove this or die card.

I'm going to go bash my head into a street lamp now untill the pain subsides.

@112358:

Am I correct in thinking that this is U/B Zombies? Because if so, your manabase looks a little shaky. A playset of Drowned Catacombs would be nice for it, if you can afford them. I would remove the Infectious Horror's and put them in the SB. They really are only going to be useful in Multiplayer, because in duel 2 life doesn't really matter. And they also get killed by a ton of removal spells. I also don't really like Fatestitcher in there. He doesn't really seem to fit, as untapping one creature and tapping another doesn't seem like a good option. 

Maybe some counterspells to be put in? If you're looking for this to be legal after the rotation, Countersquall could be nice. 

Also, because they're commons, Moonglove Changeling would be a splendid addition. Getting all the benefits from your pumpers, as well as being able to gain deathtouch is nice. 

Cairn Wanderer is amazingly cheap, gains a ton of abilities and is a fatty, a possible addition.

Mothdust Changeling is really nice, gaining flying by tapping a creature is a bonus if it gets really big from Death Baron's and the like. 

Also, because I didn't notice it previously, you have no Nameless Inversion! A kill spell that counts as a zombie? I like it!

Also, possibly Door of Destinies or Coat of Arms?

Decks
Standard: Mage-Blade EDH: Rafiq of the Many

Link to my original post: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Please and thank you =)

Hmm. I'll assume we're going this way just for the sheer joy of untargetable dudes; because in terms of efficiency, we could do much better than a team that rolls over to Volcanic Fallout/Pyroclasm (or more efficient enemy attackers!), as you mentioned.

If we wanted to shore that weakness up pre-rotation, I'd say Burrenton Forge-tender, but you also mentioned you wanted to keep this post-rotation.

So. In that case, let's see what kind of room we can clear:

1. We need to cut the life-gain, the Sylvan Bounty. Pure lifegain is excellent in multi-player, but very poor in 1v1 formats.

2. Rampant Growth-If we want your Gifts of the Gargantuan package to pay off, and if we want you to have enough action spells in your deck to actually win, we'll need to change this into something that affects the board, such as Borderland Ranger.

3. Elvish Visionary's 1/1 body is pretty unimpressive. You may not have a lot of early-game options, but just about anything's better than that. Deadly Recluse, if we simply must.

4. Overrun is good. But it's not good here. Your game-plan to make it work is to wait until you cast a 7 mana spell: a tough opponent will often kill you before that happens, or counter it. You'll want something that you can cast consistently to make sure you stay alive long enough to play Behemoth.

5. Howl of the Night Pack- 7 casting costs spells in aggro decks is highly unusual, and usually a bad idea. Here, we've got 8, and one of them is pretty easily answered by Volcanic Fallout and by Maelstrom Pulse. Let's cut that number in half instead, down to just 4, and keep your ridiculous untargetable guy. And that way, we can...

6. Now that we've cleared some space, let's add that support color. But let's not mess around with just G/R ; the removal's not good enough. You need to be able to stop Baneslayer Angels from simply raping you; and maybe give you some hand disruption to knock out opponents' answers to BIG SHROUD GUY. That pushes us towards black. Plus, with the extra removal, you can help your Algae grow. Hmm. It's a shame Shriekmaw will be rotating...that would have been good for you.

7. If we're going black, we're cutting Gifts of the Gargantuan for something better.

8. Other Additions: Putrid Leech. One of the best combat guys in the format. And with most of the team slacking in the combat department, you could definitely use him.

Creatures (24):

4x Llanowar Elves

4x Mist Leopard

4x Algae Gharial

4x Kalonian Behemoth

4x Borderland Ranger

4x Putrid Leech

Planeswalkers (2):

2x Garruk, Wildspeaker

Spells (10):

4x Doomblade
4x Duress

Land (24):
8x Swamp
12x Forest
4x Terramorphic Expanse

Well, blow me down; you are one amazing guy, Wx. Still running this place years later?? I am impressed!

I started up again about three weeks ago or so, so I have very little knowledge of the current format (not that it matters, since it's rotating); however, after the next set drops and things even out a bit, we'll see if I can't be of some help again, alright?

Resident Logic Cannon

Well, blow me down; you are one amazing guy, Wx. Still running this place years later?? I am impressed!

I started up again about three weeks ago or so, so I have very little knowledge of the current format (not that it matters, since it's rotating); however, after the next set drops and things even out a bit, we'll see if I can't be of some help again, alright?

Yeah, I'm still stuck here running this shtick. Smile A few more years, and I figure I'll be able to start charging. Wink

Good to see you though, long time. I'd love to have some help again.

Still here, still open for business. Post 'em if you got 'em. 
This is wonderfully retro, I'm gonna post a list and see what happens (also so there are lists in this thread).

So from the necromancied Ghost Dad thread, Esper Dad.

BWu controll, with Stoneforge Mystic package adding card draw and letting subpar beaters trade with mostly anything.

Lands

8 Swamps
3 Plains
4 Arcane Sanctum
3 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Marsh Flats

Creatures
2 Baneslayer Angel
4 Bloodghast
4 Fleshbag Marauder
3 Gatekeeper of Malikar
3 Rotting Rats
1 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Tidehollow Sculler

Spells
1 Basilsk Collar
3 Disfigure
3 Esper Charm
1 Mask of Riddles
3 Path to Exile
3 Smother
3 Zealous Persecution

SB
4 Celestial Purge
4 Deathmark
4 Duress
3 Oblivion Ring

Notes:
As you can tell the SB is pretty much a placeholder for now, if the Mystic package gets popular Hammer of Ruin might go in there. Need to cut something for another Mystic as well.

As for how it plays, it gets some great draws more of then not, but it'll peeter out from time to time making me think it's not consistant enough to be competitive. There's a long list of things that I think should be in here but there's no room.

Sign in Blood or Grim Discovery to replace Esper Charm could go a long way. Also this deck really hates ramping people with Path, but maindeck answers to Baneslayer are pretty important, so switching to maindeck rings and letting Smother and Disfigure work on the early threats seems like a good idea.

Any thoughts.
This is wonderfully retro, I'm gonna post a list and see what happens (also so there are lists in this thread).

So from the necromancied Ghost Dad thread, Esper Dad.

BWu controll, with Stoneforge Mystic package adding card draw and letting subpar beaters trade with mostly anything.

Lands

8 Swamps
3 Plains
4 Arcane Sanctum
3 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Marsh Flats

Creatures
2 Baneslayer Angel
4 Bloodghast
4 Fleshbag Marauder
3 Gatekeeper of Malikar
3 Rotting Rats
1 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Tidehollow Sculler

Spells
1 Basilsk Collar
3 Disfigure
3 Esper Charm
1 Mask of Riddles
3 Path to Exile
3 Smother
3 Zealous Persecution

SB
4 Celestial Purge
4 Deathmark
4 Duress
3 Oblivion Ring

Notes:
As you can tell the SB is pretty much a placeholder for now, if the Mystic package gets popular Hammer of Ruin might go in there. Need to cut something for another Mystic as well.

As for how it plays, it gets some great draws more of then not, but it'll peeter out from time to time making me think it's not consistant enough to be competitive. There's a long list of things that I think should be in here but there's no room.

Sign in Blood or Grim Discovery to replace Esper Charm could go a long way. Also this deck really hates ramping people with Path, but maindeck answers to Baneslayer are pretty important, so switching to maindeck rings and letting Smother and Disfigure work on the early threats seems like a good idea.

Any thoughts.

I can definitely see the subpar beaters theme. ; )

Like you mentioned, card advantage is an area this list could work on. Probably the largest issue we need to resolve is that Basilisk collar & co. is a strategy aimed at producing 1 v 1 trades. A 1v1 trade, however, won't win you any games. Not  if we're not really exploiting a tempo advantage. In these colors, however, trying to run some kind of tempo-based strategy seems rough. We seem better off trying to squeeze some additional 2 or 3 for one threats, enhancing the engine you have in place. 

We may also want to reconsider the manabase, and the removal base, while we're at it. The removal options in particular are fairly limiting, and I agree that some effort needs to go towards making them effective against a wider spectrum of large threats, such as Baneslayer.

The Bloodghast is a tremendous asset in this list - it's the one creature you don't mind trading freely. I'd argue that the best use of Persecution/Basilisk collar beyond that is not to actually trade, but to threaten free kills (go go Cunning Sparkmage, etc.). Equipping to regenerators and first strikers is a great way for you to get mileage out of that, on color.

Hmm. Speaking of on-color, our blue commitment is really, really light. 7 blue-producers does not a consistent manabase make. Unfortunately, the constraints of consistently landing double or triple black doesn't allow for much more. 

While you're only really running 3 slots that you need to cast with the blue lands, I don't think the Charm is exactly a splash-worthy card for us here. Good card if it was on color, but it's pulling everything out of wack. Being forced into running 7 CIPT lands is not a happy prospect either in a deck with such a tight curve, and the activation on the Tarpits probably won't happen as consistently as I'd like. Great land, but we're really straining your mana capabilities past the breaking point here. 19 black sources is great, but 11 white and 7 blue is just criminally insufficient.

Something has to give. I'll try to keep this to your original colors if I can, and just moderate our imbalances, but keep an eye on that area.

One good man that could slide into this list very nicely is Sejiri Merfolk. Against aggressive strategies, the lifelink and first strike combo is going to be terrific, especially with your equipment package. Depends on how our manabase shapes up, however.

Speaking of your equipment package, I'm tempted to bump your land slot count a few slots and add in Sigil of Distinction. For the moment however, I think I'm going to be able to resist. We'll see.

Heh. Speaking of silly equipment strategies, Kor Duelist seems cute, especially with Mask of Riddles. Unfortunately, he's a Mons Goblin Raiders the rest of the time. I do like him with Sigil, though.

Ugh. Outside of black, the creature options only get worse. I think we go all in on the Orzhov theme, and ditch the Esper.

Appreciate what you're trying to do with the discard package, but it's not going to fly. Rotting Rats makes me want to gouge out my eyes with a rusty plastic spork. Sculler is only fake-disruption. Esper is off-color. We'll need to stick to a more effective aggro plan.

Fleshbag Marauder only seems terribly useful when you have a Bloodghast down, and it's strictly worse than a successfully cast Gatekeeper. I think we cut at least a few.

I had this fantasy where we squeeze in Ranger of Eos to get more mileage out of your equipment, but I don't think we can make the good white one-drops fit into this double-black intense landbase. 

I'm worried Elspeth may be a little bit out of budget range, which would be a shame, because she fits in here perfectly. I'll splurge a bit and throw a few copies in, for the sake of wishful thinking if nothing else.

Suggested List:

23 Lands
8 Swamps
3 Plains
4 Arcane Sanctum
4 Marsh Flats
4 Terramorphic Expanse

25 Creatures 
2 Baneslayer Angel
4 Bloodghast
3 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Gatekeeper of Malikar
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Emeria Angel

12 Spells 
3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 Basilisk Collar
1 Mask of Riddles
3 Path to Exile
3 Journey to Nowhere

SB
4 Celestial Purge
3 Marsh Casualties 
4 Luminarch Ascension (You like beating control, right?)
4 Oblivion Ring

That's the best shot I can take for tonight. LMK what you think so far.

Well it seems I finally found what I need, a Deck Doctor. Well Dr. Wx I have been trying to craft a Grixis Control deck and here are the results of my time.

Grixis Control

Main Deck

Creatures: 7

4x Pilgrim's Eye

2x Sphinx of Jwar Isle

1x Wrexial, the Risen Deep

Planeswalkers: 3

1x Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

2x Chandra Nalaar

Sorceries: 12

4x Cruel Ultimatum

4x Ponder

4x Treasure Hunt

Instants: 15

2x Doom Blade

3x Double Negative

1x Hideous End

4x Lightning Bolt

1x Mindbreak Trap

2x Terminate

2x Tomb Hex

Artifacts: 0

Lands: 23

3x Akoum Refuge

4x Crumbling Necropolis

2x Creeping Tar Pit

3x Halimar Depths

5x Island

3x Mountain

3x Swamp

Sideboard: 15

Creatures: 3

1x Wrexial the Deep Risen

2x Calcite Snapper

Sorceries: 2

2x Blightning

Instants: 8

2x Flashfreeze

3x Searing Blaze

3x Volcanic Fallout

Lands: 2

2x Bojuka Bog

In 2 slots on the sideboard I have been debating Magosi, the Waterveil and Calcite Snapper back and forth. Also I can hear top players writhing in their graves as they see creatures without shroud in my deck. However Pilgrim's Eye makes sure i hit my land drops and Wrexial can handle most burn and is Black allowing it to resist a good deal of creature removal.

P.S. I am not rich so even though I know the M10 duals would be much better in my deck than my current duals I simply can't afford them. Also I can't afford these new cards such as Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Sorry for the budget inconvenience.

Suggested List:

23 Lands
8 Swamps
3 Plains
4 Arcane Sanctum
4 Marsh Flats
4 Terramorphic Expanse

25 Creatures 
2 Baneslayer Angel
4 Bloodghast
3 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Gatekeeper of Malikar
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Emeria Angel

12 Spells 
3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 Basilisk Collar
1 Mask of Riddles
3 Path to Exile
3 Journey to Nowhere

SB
4 Celestial Purge
3 Marsh Casualties 
4 Oblivion Ring

What I can see from here, is with the Emeria and Elspeh I've just added a bunch of spells that have WW into a deck that wants to cast gatekeeper. Also no Sign in Blood which is what I had in here orignally, but Esper Charms went in alongside the Mask. I can see Elseph in here, but I think that would be in order to cut Baneslayer (and thus the cruve), in fact I like here more then the other 4 drop option Persicutor.

I think you've fallen into the Sculler trap, a lot of people missplay him, and seeing him played that way makes him seem really, really bad. His job isn't to eat removal, but to eat tempo. Stealing their next drop then forcing removal onto him is a lot stronger play then trying to protect guys.

Your list plays a lot slower, and stops beeing aggro-controll and becomes midrangey, I should either cram Nocturns into that deck or green for Pulse and Behemoth Sledge.

Suggested List:

23 Lands
8 Swamps
3 Plains
4 Arcane Sanctum
4 Marsh Flats
4 Terramorphic Expanse

25 Creatures 
2 Baneslayer Angel
4 Bloodghast
3 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Gatekeeper of Malikar
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Emeria Angel

12 Spells 
3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 Basilisk Collar
1 Mask of Riddles
3 Path to Exile
3 Journey to Nowhere

SB
4 Celestial Purge
3 Marsh Casualties 
4 Oblivion Ring

What I can see from here, is with the Emeria and Elspeh I've just added a bunch of spells that have WW into a deck that wants to cast gatekeeper. Also no Sign in Blood which is what I had in here orignally, but Esper Charms went in alongside the Mask. I can see Elseph in here, but I think that would be in order to cut Baneslayer (and thus the cruve), in fact I like here more then the other 4 drop option Persicutor.

I think you've fallen into the Sculler trap, a lot of people missplay him, and seeing him played that way makes him seem really, really bad. His job isn't to eat removal, but to eat tempo. Stealing their next drop then forcing removal onto him is a lot stronger play then trying to protect guys.

Your list plays a lot slower, and stops beeing aggro-controll and becomes midrangey, I should either cram Nocturns into that deck or green for Pulse and Behemoth Sledge.

I would agree the list could be optimized by shifting closer to a Vampire-ish list, or alternating into different colors. For better or worse, I try to stick as closely to an original list's central idea as I can, and the original list was aimed at using small dorks to create favorable trades with bigger dorks. 

There's certainly no easy solution on the manabase, either, but going down to two colors should be a step in the right direction.  

You've got the right idea on Sculler, but we have to take a few other factors into account:

1. He's not guaranteed to eat tempo - they may have multiple low drops, and you don't have enough target hand disruption to eliminate similar cards at low CC brackets.
2. Sculler is about as aggressive a one-drop as is in the deck, so he's not diverting removal away from more critical threats (like Rafiq in Dark Bant, for instance). It doesn't really cost them any tempo to kill the grizzly bear, and it's also not going to be a great clock or combat creature. 

So I don't think the list supports him well.  

Sign in Blood I cut for a few reasons. For one, you don't have the same aggressive clocks as vamps, without nocturnus, so you're more likely to be in a defensive posture where two life matters, and you also have an alternate card advantage engine. Additionally, your 2 cc slot is the most packed in the deck, and the 4cc slot is close behind. 

I could see adding Nocturnus in, except that you're not going to consistently have black guys on top of your library, considering the white splash.  

We could always try taking it in a different direction than you originally envisioned. But it's hard to imagine an effective dork-trading strategy that doesn't resort to either 4cc cards, or ridiculous numbers of 2 power guys clogging up your 2cc slot. And no matter what we do, we won't be able to create an effective, pure aggro list with a mixed b/w list that's heaviest on the black end. There's no way we can goldfish a turn 4-5 kill without relying on white.

Perhaps if you switched to an allies creature base. 

Well it seems I finally found what I need, a Deck Doctor. Well Dr. Wx I have been trying to craft a Grixis Control deck and here are the results of my time.

Grixis Control

Main Deck

Creatures: 7

4x Pilgrim's Eye

2x Sphinx of Jwar Isle

1x Wrexial, the Risen Deep

Planeswalkers: 3

2x Chandra Nalaar

Sorceries: 12

4x Cruel Ultimatum

4x Ponder

4x Treasure Hunt

Instants: 15

2x Doom Blade

3x Double Negative

1x Hideous End

4x Lightning Bolt

1x Mindbreak Trap

2x Terminate

2x Tomb Hex

Artifacts: 0

Lands: 23

3x Akoum Refuge

4x Crumbling Necropolis

2x Creeping Tar Pit

3x Halimar Depths

5x Island

3x Mountain

3x Swamp

Sideboard: 15

Creatures: 3

1x Wrexial the Deep Risen

2x Calcite Snapper

Sorceries: 2

2x Blightning

Instants: 8

2x Flashfreeze

3x Searing Blaze

3x Volcanic Fallout

Lands: 2

2x Bojuka Bog

In 2 slots on the sideboard I have been debating Magosi, the Waterveil and Calcite Snapper back and forth. Also I can hear top players writhing in their graves as they see creatures without shroud in my deck. However Pilgrim's Eye makes sure i hit my land drops and Wrexial can handle most burn and is Black allowing it to resist a good deal of creature removal.

P.S. I am not rich so even though I know the M10 duals would be much better in my deck than my current duals I simply can't afford them. Also I can't afford these new cards such as Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Sorry for the budget inconvenience.

No problem on the budget, this place is here for you guys, not the docs. 

First things first. 23 land is not enough to power this deck, Pilgrim's Eye or no. You need to hit your land drops consistently if you want to power up to your big guns, and most Grixis Control players run 26 land to make sure they don't get stuck (I'm also running 26 in my own UWR build). With a good card draw engine in the list, you can absolutely counteract the effect of the three extra slots of land, and the drastic gains in mana consistency are well worth it.

Beyond that, we'll also want to limit our CIPT lands to 9, no more than 10. Halimar Depths is rather on the "meh" side without any fetchlands to shuffle away dead cards, and it's not a dual land, so we can cut from there.

We have a few oddballs in the removal base we'll want to iron out. First priority however is adding some mass sweeping: Earthquake. We may not have a huge number of cheap planeswalkers to help us exploit it (You can redirect the damage that would go to you to your planeswalker instead), but there's absolutely no substitute for wiping your opponent's board. Otherwise, you'll get pecked to death by Llanowars, etc.

Ponder and Treasure Hunt? Pfft. Let's run real card draw, shall we? Enter Mind Spring!  I personally prefer it to Jace for these types of lists. The raw, massive card draw and inability to burn it out it gives it a great edge.

Hmm. Wrexial is cute, but he's awfully vulnerable to removal. At 7 mana, he's very difficult to protect with countermagic, and while he can dodge burn there's still plenty of spot removal out there that can trade effectively with him. You pay 7 mana to play him, they pay 2 to remove him. Not good.

Flashfreeze remains the best counterspell option control decks can turn to, Vampires or no. Four go into the main.

Grixis Control

Main Deck

Threats: 4

3x Sphinx of Jwar Isle

1x Obelisk of Alara 

Planeswalkers: 4

3x Chandra Nalaar

Sorceries: 10

4x Cruel Ultimatum

3x Earthquake
3x Mind Spring

Instants: 16
4x Flashfreeze 
2x Burst Lightning 

2x Double Negative

4x Lightning Bolt

4x Terminate

Lands: 26

3x Akoum Refuge

4x Crumbling Necropolis

2x Creeping Tar Pit

5x Island

5x Mountain

5x Swamp 

2x Exotic Orchard 

Sideboard:

2 Mind Control (Random Ionas, Thornlings, etc.)
3 Pithing Needle (Pesky enemy planeswalkers, Luminarch Ascension, etc.)
3 Deathmark
2 Swerve (Take that, Mind Sludge!)
2 Haunting Echoes (Control)
3 Negate

Give that one a spin or two around the block. It should do pretty respectably, budget or no. It kills things, and it draws cards, which is exactly what you need a control deck to do. 
I am grateful for the help and will try to playtest this build.

P.S. Though the point is still solid, Wrexial only costs 3UUB or 6CMC
This is me bumping the thread. 

It's allliiiiiiiiiiiiiive...
20 creatures
4 goblin guide
4 plated geopede
2 goblin bushwhacker
4 steppe linx
1 kor skyfisher
2 stoneforge mystic
3 ranger of eos

13 removal spells
4 lightning bolt
3 burst lightning
2 earthquake
4 path to exile

3 equipment
2 adventure gear
1 basilisk collar

24 land
4 arid mesa
4 scalding tarn
1 marsh flats ( card stores were sold out sadly)
4 teramorphic expsance)
5 mountain
6 plains

make moar power!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sideboard)Cool

was thinking ajani vengent might do good here.
Oldschool Boros Landfall---r.i.p sold for rent. zero hour red
Bringing the Rock to Standard. One post at a time.
20 creatures
4 goblin guide
4 plated geopede
2 goblin bushwhacker
4 steppe linx
1 kor skyfisher
2 stoneforge mystic
3 ranger of eos

13 removal spells
4 lightning bolt
3 burst lightning
2 earthquake
4 path to exile

3 equipment
2 adventure gear
1 basilisk collar

24 land
4 arid mesa
4 scalding tarn
1 marsh flats ( card stores were sold out sadly)
4 teramorphic expsance)
5 mountain
6 plains

make moar power!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sideboard)

was thinking ajani vengent might do good here.

I'm going to edit in improvements as we go here, but the core of the list I'd recommend is Kiln Fiend, backed up with Staggershock and Emerge Unscathed. A friend of mine ran a pretty passable list along similar lines. His build didn't have much in the way of stamina, though; but perhaps we can do one better with an equipment package, with evasion, and possibly the Devastating Summons package. I'll let you know when it's final.

EDIT:

Ok. One of my worries with my friend's previous list was a tendency to stall out against guys with fat back ends, or to draw too many vulnerable creatures against control. Our best shot against those guys is to avoid trying to win a creature race, and to simply use a very simple number of small, cheap creatures as pseudo-burn spells. That will allow us a few source of continuous damage on an open board, and gives Emerge Unscathed some punch, but allows you to have a much stronger burn-out mode.

Adding in Earthquake on top of that should REALLY let you put the hurtings on them, once your ability to swing is hampered a bit. In addition, you may be able to play a fetchland, pump your guys, one-sided wrath theirs, and swing out, for extra pain.

If you had a bit more of a budget, we might give some thought to Elspeth in the side, but I don't think it's a very cost-effective option for you. I'd sooner spring for the remaining Marsh Flats.

Suggested Decklist:

16 Creatures
4 plated geopede
4 steppe linx
4 Kiln Fiend
4 Hell's Thunder

4 lightning bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Staggershock
4 Emerge Unscathed
2 path to exile
3 Earthquake

23 land
4 arid mesa
4 scalding tarn
1 marsh flats
4 terramorphic expanse
7 mountain
4 plains

Sideboard:
4 Manabarbs (control)
2 Path to Exile (BSA)
2 Pithing Needle
2 Stoneforge Mystic (aggro)
4 Cunning Sparkmage (aggro)
1 Basilisk Collar (aggro)
Fresh off qualifying for the PT, and back open for business. Have at it.
Current deck list looks something like this

Land

19 Forest
4 Terramorphic Expanse

Critters

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Joraga Treespeaker
4 Garruk's Packleader
4 Rampaging Baloths
3 Mold Shambler
2 Baloth Woodcrasher

Spells

4 Harrow
4 Explore
3 Khalni Heart Expedition
2 Gelatinous Genesis
3 Overwhelming Stampede

Sideboard

4 Autumn's Veil
4 Plummet
4 Naturalize
3 Acidic Slime Not sure here, maybe Gravity Well instead or Wolfbriar Elemental

Possible tweaks - Garruk's Companion in for Llanowar Elves, Wolfbriar Elemental in for Gelatinous Genesis. Possibly replace harrow with cultivate less explosive but possibly more reliable. Could easily go G/x but i'm not sure if there's much worth splashing for.

Trying to keep this budget friendly with an eye on the october rotation. I won't mind splashing some alara block, but i dont want to spend a lot of money on cards that are going to rotate in october.
Hi, my name is SQP and my hobby is breaking cards, especially bad cards. The worse a card is the more fun it is to break. My goal is to win a PTQ or GP using bad rares.dec, 1. to prove it can be done, and 2. for the lulz.
Current deck list looks something like this Land 19 Forest 4 Terramorphic Expanse Critters 4 Llanowar Elves 4 Joraga Treespeaker 4 Garruk's Packleader 4 Rampaging Baloths 3 Mold Shambler 2 Baloth Woodcrasher Spells 4 Harrow 4 Explore 3 Khalni Heart Expedition 2 Gelatinous Genesis 3 Overwhelming Stampede Sideboard 4 Autumn's Veil 4 Plummet 4 Naturalize 3 Acidic Slime Not sure here, maybe Gravity Well instead or Wolfbriar Elemental Possible tweaks - Garruk's Companion in for Llanowar Elves, Wolfbriar Elemental in for Gelatinous Genesis. Possibly replace harrow with cultivate less explosive but possibly more reliable. Could easily go G/x but i'm not sure if there's much worth splashing for. Trying to keep this budget friendly with an eye on the october rotation. I won't mind splashing some alara block, but i dont want to spend a lot of money on cards that are going to rotate in october.

Ok. There's a few different ways we could try to take this sucker while sticking to post-rotation. One, we can try and stick with your a Packleader/large man model. Two, we can try smoothing things out and running out Monuments with some smaller dorks and ramp.

Either way, we're going to want to try to cram some card advantage into here and reduce the amount of ramp spells we're using. Otherwise, you're going to lose the attrition war against control, every time. 

Ok. If we cram some Fauna Shaman and Vengevine into here, your budget gets significantly bigger, but you get a much nicer long game engine. 

Basic idea of this version is to put as many fast, must-kill threats into the list as possible, give you a good base to support Eldrazi Monument, and pray that your opponent isn't playing Mythic Conscription. With this many solid boots on the ground, you ought to be able to fight rival aggro decks fairly effectively, and hang in there against control's removal options. 

4 Llanowar Elves
3 Arbor Elf
4 Fauna Shaman 
2 Kazandu Tuskcaller  
4 Leatherback Baloth
3 Omnath, Locus of Mana
3 Master of the Wild Hunt  
4 Vengevine
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Thornling
2 Wolfbriar Elemental
3 Eldrazi Monument 

22 Forest
2 Dread Statuary 

Sideboard:
4 Plummet
2 Pithing Needle
4 Obstinate Baloth
2 Brittle Effigy
2 Sword of Vengeance
1 Eldrazi Monument 
I built this deck for my GF because she is just starting out and I'm enjoying the speed of it and I'm wondering if this can be an FNM contender. There are some changes that I've been thinking about making (-2 Prodigal Pyromancer, +2 Cunning Sparkmage is the most obvious) and I want to find a way to get 4 Goblin Guides in here along with a fourth Goblin Tunneler if possible. Let me know what you think can be done please.

I've also thought about sideboarding Combust and Leyline of Punishment while moving Act of Treason to the sideboard as well to free up room in the deck. Any help is appreciated.

Creatures

3 x Goblin Piker
3 x Goblin Tunneler
2 x Cunning Sparkmage
2 x Prodigal Pyromancer
4 x Arc Runner
1 x Dragon Whelp
4 x Chandra's Spitfire
2 x Ember Hauler
2 x Fiery Hellhound

Spells

2 x Act of Treason
3 x Searing Blaze
4 x Lightning Bolt
3 x Chandra's Outrage
1 x Chandra Nalaar

Artifacts

2 x Elixir of Immortality (my play test buddy plays a mill deck so I included these just for when she plays him)
1 x Sword of Vengeance (just thought this would be a neat card for a beginner to be able to use)

Lands

4 x Smoldering Spires
1 x Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
16 x Mountain

Sideboard 

4 x Combust
4 x Leyline of Punishment
???????????????

Again, any help is appreciated and even if we can't make this FNM viable I would at least like to make it a little stronger for her.

Creatures: 11
Phylactery Lich x4
Stoneforge Mystic x3
Tidehollow Sculler x3
Sun Titan x1

Artifacts: 8
Crystal Ball x3
Whispersilk Cloak x2
Sword of Vengeance x1
Basilisk Collar x2

Other Spells: 16
Sign in Blood x3
Doom Blade x3
Day of Judgment x3
Duress x3
Consuming Vapors x2
Condemn x2

Land: 25
Arcane Sanctum x4
Terramorphic Expanse x4
Evolving Wilds x4
Marsh Flats x1
Plains x4
Swamps x8

Sideboard:
Celestial Purge x3
Inquisition of Kozilek x3
Deathmark x3
Vampire Nighthawk x3
Condemn x1
Tidehollow Sculler x1
Sign in Blood x1

Ok, so I took this list to FNM and went 2-3, losing to Superfriends, UW eldrazi and Junk.  With each of those matches I won 1 out of the three games.  I'm looking to improve this deck so any help and advice would be nice.  Also, I currently only have one Marsh Flats and I'm trying to trade for more.

bumpYell
Land

INSTANTS, SORCERIES:

[deck]4 x Cancel
4 x Spreading Seas
4 x Not of this world
3 x Leyline of Sanctity
3 x Mana Leak
3 x Day of Judgment
3 x Rest for the weary
2 x Tanglesap
2 x Fog[/deck]

CREATURES:
[deck]3 x Terra Stomper
2 x Terastodon
1 x Inkwell Leviathan
1 x Pelakka Wurm
1 x Kalonian Behemoth
1 x Vengeful Archon
1 x Gaea's Revenge[/deck]

(i) I posted this as a separate thread earlier but no one seems to care much. Hoping you can help!
(ii) I am looking at fatties with power 7 or higher, with some additional features like shroud or trample - one of the reasons being the usage of Not of this World. Terra Stomper works great for this because it cannot be countered, and anything else that tries to touch it once it lands can be countered with Not of this World for 0 mana.
(iii) Day of Judgment, Fog, Tanglesap and Rest for the Weary are to keep me alive/ buy me time until I can bring the fatties out.
(iv) Leyline of Sanctity is to prevent face damage and stop mill/ discard decks.
(v) The counters are to further the cause of Not of this World.

Tips I would be grateful for:

(a) I need a good mix of land (how many green/ blue/ white and which multi-lands) but I still haven't figured the science behind the same. One option is Birds of Paradise or Noble Hierarch but I am not too keen on creatures as they can be destroyed by my own DoJ if not by my oppponents'.
How does my current mix look ?
(b) Is there a better mix of fatties anyone can think of ? With better synergies ?
(c) I do not have any ramp, hence a game with this deck can go for long. How bad would that be ? In the interest of answering this, I am looking to play only in MTGO Daily Constructed, nothing more.
(d) Because a game with this deck can go long. Mana Leak probably shouldn't have a place - as by then, the opponent would probably have enough lands to pay 3 mana. Are there any other good counters ? I am aware of Deprive and Negate. Anything else ? Maybe replace Mana Leak altogether with Narcolepsy or Path to Exile ?

This is my second own deck - first own Standard deck, so I am pretty excited about building this. Any tips would be highly appreciated! 

Thanks a bunch!
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I've been working on a Merfolk deck recently. I like to keep it somewhat budget (no JMS), but I'm not opposed to putting a little money in the deck to make it better. Here it is:

Creatures
4 Cosi's Trickster
4 Merfolk Spy
4 Merfolk Sovereign
4 Coralhelm Commander
4 Halimar Wavewatch

Other Spells
4 Mana Leak
4 Spreading Seas
3 Narcolepsy
2 Negate
2 Deprive
2 Jace Beleren

Lands
17 Island
3 Dread Statuary
3 Halimar Depths

Sideboard
4 Flashfreeze
3 Basilisk Collar
2 Mind Control
2 Negate
2 Thada Adel, Acquisitor
1 Narcolepsy
1 Jace Beleren
Made a thread before I saw this. Hope you can help!

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio My Trade Thread: http://community.wizards.com/marketplace/go/thread/view/94957/24019517/Dereks_Haves_and_Wants?sdb=1&post_num=1#432983357 I attempted HTML but it didn't work so You'll have to copy/paste.
Here's a GW Sun Titan list I've been playing around with.  It does okay, but great would be better   (Please keep it Standard-legal, and rather budget -- Vengevines and Primeval Titans are great and all, but by the time I could trade for them the rest of the deck could have rotated out and I won't be able to play it anymore anyway).

So there's my pile.  What can you think of to make it better?  I play mostly at FNM events, but we get all the top decks there so I'm facing stuff like Jund, UW Planeswalkers, RG Bloodbraid/Vengevine, etc.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!
been a while since i played but im looking at trying to make a RDW with all type 2 cards to get back into the swing of things

Creatures
4x cunning sparkmageImage.ashx?type=card&name=cunning%20sparkmage
2x ember haulerImage.ashx?type=card&name=ember%20hauler
4x chandra's spitfireImage.ashx?type=card&name=chandra%27s%20spitfire
2x goblin arsonistImage.ashx?type=card&name=goblin%20arsonist
4x Kiln FiendImage.ashx?type=card&name=Kiln%20Fiend
4x Goblin TunnelerImage.ashx?type=card&name=Goblin%20Tunneler

spells
4x searing blazeImage.ashx?type=card&name=searing%20blaze
4x lightning boltImage.ashx?type=card&name=lightning%20bolt
4x Pyromancer ascensionImage.ashx?type=card&name=Pyromancer%20ascension
4x burst lightningImage.ashx?type=card&name=burst%20lightning
4x staggershockImage.ashx?type=card&name=staggershock

and 20 mountains

also i could use a hand with the sideboard to get it FNM ready
I currently plan on running a mono-green aggro deck at a new shop i've found to play some FNM.

I posted a thread in the standard deck help, and it was definitely useful, but your advice seems to be just a tad more insightful sometimes. :P

I want to build this deck so that it is just zen block and 2011, that way I can still use it after October 1st.

this list costs about 45 dollars, and i would like to invest about twenty more into it if it could make it better.

Main:

4x Llanowar Elves
3x Garruk's Companion
4x Leatherback Baloth
4x Mul Daya Channelers
2x Obstinate Baloth
2x Wolfbriar Elemental
3x Mitotic Slime

1x Garruk Wildspeaker

3x Vines of Vastwood
2x Brittle Effigy
1x Growth Spasm
4x Overwhelming Stampede
3x Explore

2x Tectonic Edge
4x Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
18x Forest

Sideboard: (the stags rotate out in October, and they are the only card that does in this list, but they are only $1.50 apiece and I already own one, so I figure I'd go ahead and add them in since they are so good)

2x Autumn's Veil
4x Great Sable Stag
3x River Boa
3x Plummet
3x Mold Shambler

any help you could give me to make it FNM capable would be extremely appreciated.
Hope I'm not treading on any advertising rules here, but, after eight long years of operation, TDC is at long last closing shop for the foreseeable future...to reopen where I've been hired over at Tcgplayer's standard forums.

I wouldn't rule out ever returning here, but if folks are looking for some clinic-advice from me, that's where you can find it until further notice.

Take care guys!