[Archetype] R/B Aggro

1090 posts / 0 new
Last post
mishima_kazuya;19168647 wrote:

The new thread is up!
1,000 Posts - February 4th, 2009 2,000 Posts - April 14th, 2009 3,000 Posts - June 21st, 2009 4,000 Posts - August 27, 2009 You Make the Flavor! I speak my mind and I'm blunt. Don't take offense to my posts if they seem rude :/ my ref list I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
WOOT FIRST POST!!

in before the reserve post.

EDIT:
Demigod of Revenge
Siege-Gang Commander

are both viable choices that I feel you have left out.

I think there are too many random card choices that were thrown in there for making the card choice sections bigger. Not to be overly critical, because it is a good OP, but I think for the sake of keeping discussion... relevant... we stick to what we know works best.

Also, your credits are thanking for a Banner, which is... ? :P

EDIT again:
you need 2 decklist sections. One section for tournaments, and one for people in this thread. Also, perhaps a basic skeleton list, void of meta calls. The such.
in before the reserve post.

Jerk. :P
1,000 Posts - February 4th, 2009 2,000 Posts - April 14th, 2009 3,000 Posts - June 21st, 2009 4,000 Posts - August 27, 2009 You Make the Flavor! I speak my mind and I'm blunt. Don't take offense to my posts if they seem rude :/ my ref list I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Yay for a new thread,but you need a little section about the sideboard
As far as the B/W token matchup here is some data I collected
Show
This matchup is all about getting in there for the most possible damage in the early game. You'll need to burn their Knight of Meadowgrain but feel free to ignore everything else unless its threatening your lifetotal. Depending on your build you should probably avoid shooting kitchen finks(unless of course you have magma spray). Anaethmancer will easily win you the game so if you have 4 MD it will help your chances in winning the MU.

Edit: You might Want to create a sb section but seeing how thier stuffed into the card choices its up to you
overall GOod job
:D I'm just that good.

Well, anyways, like I said earlier, I'd be more than happy to help you make this thread entirely relevant, easy to navigate, blah blah blah.

Example, where it says "Tested Match-ups", put all those Sblocks into one Sblock. That way, the OP is shorter. Prettier. SHINEY :P

EDIT: another "TIP", if you intend to burn Figure of Destiny, always ALWAYS count their untapped lands and take that into consideration. If you chose to wait until their turn, then they'll just pump it. OOPS. If it's burning a figure, it's ASAP. (If it's Flame Javelin, this matters less. But Fallout and Incinerate. Mogg.)
I knew I forgot something!
edit: This is going to be a constant work in progress, so you guys can just keep posting whatever info is missing or needs to be corrected, and I'll try and stay on top of it.
I am Red/Black
Yay for a new thread,but you need a little section about the sideboard
As far as the B/W token matchup here is some data I collected
Show
This matchup is all about getting in there for the most possible damage in the early game. You'll need to burn their Knight of Meadowgrain but feel free to ignore everything else unless its threatening your lifetotal. Depending on your build you should probably avoid shooting kitchen finks(unless of course you have magma spray). Anaethmancer will easily win you the game so if you have 4 MD it will help your chances in winning the MU.

Edit: You might Want to create a sb section but seeing how thier stuffed into the card choices its up to you
overall GOod job

THis. A sideboard section.
Argh... change the name. "Official"?? You ever look at Canucks.com?? It's a joke!

[Archetype] R/B Beats

simple. Maybe [Archetype Discussion] something like that. Just... or Official Archtype. But "Official" is just.. MAH..

:P

Just trying to help.

EDIT:

Keep in mind, I've been editting a lot of my posts here already, so just check up on my most recent post if it happens to be the last post, because I don't double post much, but I keep having more to say.
Yeah. The "Official" thing is really more of a placeholder until we come up with either a more creative name or it can be called an Archetype. I was thinking something like "3rd Degree Burns" or something. For now I shall change it to Archetype.
I am Red/Black
or it could
[TheBanshee has masted the power of suggestion]
Lol jk
I'd like to see Spark elemental in the OP as a budget version for FoD as well as a subpar substitue
I Think the name is fine except it should be one word
[Archetype] RB Beatdown
or it could
[TheBanshee has masted the power of suggestion]
Lol jk
I'd like to see Spark elemental in the OP as a budget version for FoD as well as a subpar substitue

LOL!

no budget discussion. SHAME ON YOU.

3rd Degree Burns? really?

Earwig Squad, Crusher, Mauler, Frogtosser, out.

Swamp only belongs in deck with a budget manabase, or a list like mine, with Stillmoon in the board or something. Really.

Don't even mention Spawning Pool.. no one else ever did, just... blah.
I think I'll make the skeleton decklists now, one being the budget one, and the other....not being a budget one :P
I am Red/Black
I'm off to dinner, so I'll bbl.
I am Red/Black
Figure of Destiny, 2-3 of? If you have 4, and can fit them, hell. Run 4.

3 Ram Gangs is not acceptable. 4 of. No questions.

Never run 3 demigods.

Graven Cairns > Auntie's Hovel.

Sulfurous Springs is a 3-4 of. It's bad against aggro. Bad with Javelin. Bad with Ram-Gang. Bad with Demigod. Bad with Outlander. Bad with Terminate (although it's a black source).

Honestly, call me crazy, but this is the optimal manabase:

8-9 Mountain (9 if you run 24 land)
4 Cairns (best land. Makes mountains into duals. Mountain, this = terminate, no CiPT, no goblin reveal, no pain. Just good. Only good. You can go with 3 Hovels in a budget list. You NEED 4 of these if you DARE to run ANY swamps.)
4 Hovel (12 goblins in mogg, outlander, and ram-gang is enough. But it does still CiPT some times)
3 Springs (less pain, only good with making Pools add black, which should be a non-issue)
2 Pool (the more basics, the worse these are. They screw you out of turn 1 mogg/figure if you have these and Cairns. That's why 2)
2 Encampment (perhaps 3 (take out a mountain), but CiPT is often annoying....)

Don't run swamp unless you run a blacker build (Like I have Shriekmaws and Stillmoons). But blacker builds are slower. The "Machine Head" approach. One of these days, I'll get started on that. In fact, take that whole part out of the OP about using more discard in a blacker variant. That discussion does not belong here.
Nice Thread.

I have seen both Shambling Remains and Ashenmoor Gouger in R/B lists.
I'm back!
I am Red/Black
Nice Thread.

I have seen both Shambling Remains and Ashenmoor Gouger in R/B lists.

I like remains. Remains > Gouger. But Gouger is good in the mirror. Tough call.

I think we need a preference section. Preferences like this. Preferences like Stillmoon. Call it "Preferences" rather than budget. Stuff like that.

Sorry if I seem like a dick, shotgunpriest, I just want this thread to be nice and simple. People will come here with Goblinator builds. ARG.
There is a thread for Goblinator, and if they come here with a list like that, we can direct them there. And it is possible to have a "Tribal" build with this deck. I'm just exploring ALL the options. That is what an Archetype is.

edit: And about preferences: I don't think I need one in the main post. Because all they are are opinions. You could make a preferences section in your first post if you'd like, seeing as I used everything that you had posted there
I am Red/Black
There is a thread for Goblinator, and if they come here with a list like that, we can direct them there. And it is possible to have a "Tribal" build with this deck. I'm just exploring ALL the options. That is what an Archetype is.

edit: And about preferences: I don't think I need one in the main post. Because all they are are opinions. You could make a preferences section in your first post if you'd like, seeing as I used everything that you had posted there

I realise that. Just... Mauler? Would you take a RB Beats list anywhere with Crusher or Mauler?

I sincerely hope not.
I realise that. Just... Mauler? Would you take a RB Beats list anywhere with Crusher or Mauler?

I sincerely hope not.

Mauler, not withanything but a Tribal build, but I do have 3 crushers in my deck. I like having good draws every turn. It's also more of a personal preference. Although I will take out the Frogtosser and Mauler discussion.
I am Red/Black
Sweet a new thread! I wouldn't say "most" B/R decks don't run Blightning anymore because a lot probably most still do, I would just say Blightning isn't the main focus anymore.
Hm... what about:
[Deathburn Aggro] R/B Beatdown

Just thought the word "deathburn" symbolized both red and black together... and is pretty much what the deck's about... Hm....
Decks I play: Esperghast, a deck filled with tech over the brim. Jack’s Beanstalk Army, a land-ramping token deck. NayaFire, a combo TurboFog deck that wins with Runeflare Trap.
Sweet a new thread! I wouldn't say "most" B/R decks don't run Blightning anymore because a lot probably most still do, I would just say Blightning isn't the main focus anymore.

Well those that have placed well in big tourneys haven't had them in the MB, and rarely in the SB.
I am Red/Black
Hm... what about:
[Deathburn Aggro] R/B Beatdown

Just thought the word "deathburn" symbolized both red and black together... and is pretty much what the deck's about... Hm....

Deathburn feels so cliched... And it wouldn't be in brackets, either. Brackets are more of... a way to describe it with technical terms I guess.
I am Red/Black
Deathburn feels so cliched... And it wouldn't be in brackets, either. Brackets are more of... a way to describe it with technical terms I guess.

True. How about... [Archetype Analysis] R/B Aggro Beatdown?
Decks I play: Esperghast, a deck filled with tech over the brim. Jack’s Beanstalk Army, a land-ramping token deck. NayaFire, a combo TurboFog deck that wins with Runeflare Trap.
I think at that point it'd just be restating what it is. It's fine as it is now.
I am Red/Black
Sans Blightning
Sans Blightning

...what?
I am Red/Black
What does sans blighting mean?lol
Also as far as b/w tokens go (I seem pretty obssesed don't I) after sb chaotic backlash can easily win us the matchup
before SB its about 50/50 depending on your list
This looks just like another Archetype.

I FOUND IT!

It's Blightning Beatdown - Blightning.

Basically it is just a worst Blightning Beatdown.

No offense but it looks the same with just a few changes.
Well we can call it whatever we want at our local meta...for here we'll just call it what it is.
I am Red/Black

I FOUND IT!

It's supposed to be. People were having a problem because there were B/R decks without blightning, R/B/G decks with blightning and thus cannot be called Blightning Beatdown. So may as well make R/B Aggro which holds both decks in the same thread and create a Jund Aggro for the R/B/G decks.

I still think R/B Aggro sounds better then R/B Beatdown.

I FOUND IT!

Except...you're wrong. If you had bothered to check the lists on the OLD Blightning thread, and all of our discussions, you'd see that this is the new list. Have you ever played against this, or played with it? Learn about what you're talking about before you critiscise.
I am Red/Black

I FOUND IT!

What are you smoking, buddy? This IS another Archetype. In fact, it has been since, well... since Conflux. Well, actually, it's older than that.. Wake up! *smacks you on nose with rolled up newspaper*

This thread is REPLACING the undermaintained thread to which you are referring. It doesn't even run Blightning anymore. So you're wrong, it's not a worse Blightning Beatdown deck. It is a Blightning Beatdown deck. "Sans Blightning"... because Blightning is too one-dimensional in a deck that is not focused on discard.

Having said that, don't roll in here like you know what you're talking about until you take everything into consideration.

@shotgunpriest, you still need to make a link leading to the old thread.

I FOUND IT!

Indeed, as Indignation pointed out, it basically is the same. However, the maker of the Blightning thread is MIA and Blightning has been largely phased out of the deck. It's a bit idiotic to name a deck after a card that no longer is used in most cases. Further, that thread was being overrun with practically any deck that happened to involve a majority of the same cards (R/B with Blightning, R/B without blightning, R/G/B, etc.) The thread was losing its focus.

As for this being a "worse" version, that seems empirically incorrect.

GJones was pointing out that these decks are lacking Blightning. Sans Blightning.
Blightning isn't phased out of the deck. There are just two cases of decks now that both do well. Ones with and ones without. If you look at recent toppings it's really like half half between blightning and blightningless decks.
Some decks play it, some don't. Some play Figure, some don't. Some play Demigod, some don't. Some play Siege Gang, some don't.

How is this complicated? It's just not CALLED Blightning Beats anymore. It's R/B Beats. And the OPer was MIA, as aforementioned. We needed someone who'd stay on top of things.

HOW is this complicated???

This thread is about no Jund variants, no Goblinator decks (sporting Bitterblossom, etc), just simply R/B Beats. Blightning or not. That's just another card choice.

Get it?
Indeed. I still have Blightning in my SB, but that does not make it Blightning Beats. As stated by TheBanshee, it is now R/B Aggro. Something different...This has evolved, adapted, changed.
I am Red/Black
Sans Blightning was kinda my vote for a name but R/b "anything" is probably better since blightning is still a card choice lol.
Blightning isn't phased out of the deck. There are just two cases of decks now that both do well. Ones with and ones without. If you look at recent toppings it's really like half half between blightning and blightningless decks.

I was taking my information from what seemed to be the common consensus on the thread. I also didn't mean to imply that it was gone all-together, hence "largely" and "in most cases". That's some flexibility.

In any event, semantics aside, I'll edit this later and add my list in. I play online and MTGO's spent the last three attempts crashing every time I go to get my list. Fun times are being had by all.

Edit: Calm down, Banshee. Have some coffee.
Sans Blightning was kinda my vote for a name but R/b "anything" is probably better since blightning is still a card choice lol.

Ohhhhh! I get it now; clever! But, I think it would be best for us to keep the thread simply titled R/B Aggro, and you can call it whatever you want at your FNM. If people really clamor for an official name, I could come up with a couple or have different suggestions, and we could have a vote...
I am Red/Black
Sign In to post comments