[Pre-Archetype] EtherStorm

786 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i44.tinypic.com/xqjchx.png)

IMAGE(http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku/WUB.gif)

What is EtherStorm?
EtherStorm is an artifact deck that takes advantage of the synergistic abilities of artifact cards.

The main engine is the cost-reducing Etherium Sculptor, combined with cheap cantrips such as Chromatic Star, Mind Stone, Elsewhere Flask and Kaleidostone to cycle through the deck and dig for goodstuff. Etherium Sculptor can also be used with any other artifact with good effect.

Note that EtherStorm is not an Esper deck, merely a subset of it, focusing on chaining artifacts for a quick win.
Why Should I Play This?
There are many different strategies you can take when building and playing this deck, so if you like artifacts, this is the deck for you -

Aggro-Combo
[INDENT]This comes as close to Mirrodin-era Affinity as you will ever get without building the original deck itself. Add Glaze Fiend, Master of Etherium and cheap, recurring artifacts such as Springleaf Drum and Thopter Factory for explosive turns. It regularly gets T3-4 wins, with a significant amount of must-answer threats (10+). If you like to laugh at peoples expressions when you suddenly beat with a 11/12 creature on Turn 4, then this is the deck for you.[/INDENT]
Midrange
[INDENT]Add removal (such as Executioner's Capsule), and additional engines such as Scarecrone, Tezzeret the Seeker and Bitterblossom for a more midrange yet still resilient build.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Additionally, most of the deck is made up of commons and uncommons, which makes this a budget deck that still performs very well.

Cards To Use
Creatures

• Salvage Titan - A free 6/4 fattie, or a 4-5 CMC 6/4 with Sculptor out, and it recurs from the graveyard to boot
Non-Creature Artifacts

• Mind Stone - Acceleration that functionally costs with Sculptor out (you play it for , and it can also generate ). Chaining a few of them together will not only buff your Glaze Fiend, it'll also quickly accelerate your mana like any other green deck.
  • Elsewhere Flask - Excellent cantrip, and also fixes mana (like the manabase needs it)
  • Courier's Capsule - "Draw 2 cards" for 3 mana (with Sculptor out). Elsewhere Flask is significantly better than this, especially since it works better with Esperzoa too, and Flask buffs Master of Etherium after drawing the card, while this doesn't.
  • Kaleidostone - Good cantrip that can replace or be played with Elsewhere Flask
  • Thopter Factory - Absolutely insane in the deck. Buffs Glaze Fiend, yet also gains you life, and also produces 1/1 blockers.
  • Time Sieve - The 5 artifacts is not a problem in this artifact heavy deck. Useful in more midrange/control builds.

Spells

• Bitterblossom - Unsynergistic with the deck, but shores up weak matchups
  • Call to Heel - Temporary removal so that your attackers can get through for that last few points of damage, or removal evasion. Also cantrips, which is a plus
  • Agony Warp - Removal
  • Terror - Removal
  • Countersquall - Counterspell

• Esper Charm - Flexible spell, but not recommended unless the manabase can take it.

• Profane Command - Deals the last few points of damage after your fatties have beat in the early turns. Also can reanimate another finisher or grant evasion.
Lands
  • Painlands
  • Filterlands
  • Basic Lands

Sample Decklists

EtherStorm Midrange by Potshot
[deck=Midrange]Mana [20]
9*Island
8*Swamp
3*Mistvein Borderpost
Creatures [21]
4*Etherium Sculptor
4*Master of Etherium
4*Esperzoa
4*Glaze Fiend
3*Ornithopter
2*Tezzeret the Seeker
Others [19]
4*Elsewhere Flask
3*Mind Stone
3*Chromatic Star
3*Springleaf Drum
3*Thopter Foundry
2*Loxodon Warhammer
1*Sigil of Distinction
Sideboard [15]
4*Cumber Stone
3*Time Sieve
3*Executioner's Capsule
2*Pithing Needle
2*Razormane Masticore
1*Agony Warp[/deck]

Playing the Deck
This deck plays a bit like a mix of Affinity and Threshold, playing a lot of cheap artifacts that cantrip into more cheap artifacts. You normally want Sculptor down as early as possible (but it depends on the matchup), but you want Glaze Fiend to be dropped even earlier, because it often gets at least one chance to hit the opponent, so use that chance to buff it up as much as possible.

Don't play colorless artifacts on turn 1 (eg. Sigil, Star), because you'll rather save them to pump the Fiend later on, unless you don't have Sculptor and have a Master of Etherium, in which case you should play them early.

Don't keep a hand without a Sculptor unless there's Master of Etherium, or enough artifacts to fuel your Glaze Fiend. Never keep a hand with no threats (Fiend, MoE and Esperzoa). Salvage Titan doesn't count.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, especially if your opponent can nuke your beaters (especially Fiend). Don't overextend your creatures, although you can overextend your non-creature artifacts.

Examples of T4 wins
T1: Land
T2: Land, Fiend
T3: Land, Sculptor, Chromatic Star (cracked), Mind Stone, Mind Stone, Elsewhere Flask, beat for 10
T4: Flask, Sigil (for 2, after equipping = 1), MoE, beat for 10

T1: Land, Capsule
T2: Land, Sculptor
T3: Land, Fiend, MoE (4/4), beat for 2
T4: Land, Stone, Flask, Sigil for 4, 7/8 Fiend & 7/7 MoE and 5/6 Sculptor beat for 19

Or alternatively, Profane on T5 if you draw a lot of lands. Or Titan T4 after combat.

Examples of T3 win
T1:Land, Drum, Thopter, Drum
T2:Land, Sculptor, Fiend, Fiend
T3:Land, Star(pop), Flask, Star(pop), Flask, Thopter, Swing 21

Matchups
  • Fae: 80-20
    T2 fiend and you cant lose. They lose a life everytime they make a 1/1 flyer, we gain a life for the same creature. Fae has Scion to make there 1/1s big. We have MoE, and Tez to tutor for Master. They usually run 2-3 MD Scion, we have essentially 6 chances to draw into a master. Getting an Executioners capsule to stick is like a nail in the coffin, once you have it on board you laugh in the face of an impending Mistbind Clique.

• RDW: 70-30
    The trick is getting a thopter foundry or warhammer to stick early. Usually the lifegain you produce is to much for them.

• 5 Color Control: 70-30
    You come out of the gates rediculously faster than 5CC. By the time they have cryptic mana open you usually have them down to an easy kill range.

• Dark Bant: 70-30
    In this match you usually have an upper hand with a continual stream of chumpers, which end up pumping fiend for continual damage. They only card that gives us problems is rhox war munk, If you can kill it early on when they play it, you cant lose.

• Boat Brew: 50-50
    These decks are horrible for us. The only thing you can do is throw your hand up on the board and hope they dont T2 Bitterblossom, T3 Spectral, T4 Ajani. T5 Siege-gang. Post board your cumberstones are allstars.

• Blightning Beats: 40-60
    The trick is getting a thopter foundry or warhammer to stick early. Usually the lifegain you produce is to much for them. This is a lot harder to beat post board than RDW, because they will usually be running 6-8 sweepers.

• BW tokens: 40-60
    These decks are horrible for us. The only thing you can do is throw your hand up on the board and hope they dont T2 Bitterblossom, T3 Spectral, T4 Ajani. T5 Siege-gang. Post board your cumberstones are allstars.

Special Thanks
- Hodoku for the dividers
- Team 0-2 Drop, whom were the creators of this deck idea
- Potshot for the banner & matchup information

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
This replaces the Etherium Snare thread in the Tournament Center.

*goes to ask for move*

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
First post :P

Also, the T3 win needs to be modified so that the Ornithopter is the last card played on T3, since the T3 win requires 10 cards to be played, including cantrips, and you wouldn't get the three cards after the thopter if it came second.

The T4 wins require 10 cards also, but you have 11, so there's a little leeway.
I want to make this an aggressive control deck that applies pressure early and then ensures victory with answers and card advantage.

This will be my attempt to fight the interesting Meta-Game I expect to see this week:

ARB cards are linked. I expect my Meta to be heavy Blightning, Naya, and Bant with a few people still playing their Boat Brews and B/W Tokens.

Some other candidates are: Cumberstone, Ponder, Sphinx of the Steel Wind, Tidehollow Sculler

Critique?
@ Propagandist
I think your deck has nothing to do with the style of play this is going for. Correct me if I'm wrong.
New thread eh.....
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
@ Propagandist
I think your deck has nothing to do with the style of play this is going for. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't see how it's out of the realm of Mid-Range / Control versions of this deck that are mentioned in the OP.

EDIT: But alright I'll move it to the Transmuter Archetype thread I just found.
This is my current list, I have been doing about 10 hours play testing with it. It really is efficient, and can bash early for a lot, but follow up with a solid mid range game as well.

With all the token generation in MD, why only Time Sieve in the SB? Why not throw 1 MD so Tezz can grab it?
What's everyone's thoughts about Sculpting Steel, I know it's situationally good, but making sure you pump out that extra Sculptor to play all your tripping spells for free is kinda important.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
What's everyone's thoughts about Sculpting Steel, I know it's situationally good, but making sure you pump out that extra Sculptor to play all your tripping spells for free is kinda important.

I run two. They can dupe Master of Etherium for extra beats if needed too.
Splash White! Use Shieldmage, Profit. 1 Sided ultra fog? Yes please.
Great job on the new thread Glare :D
I'll be reporting FNM's and testing results when I finish making a new deck with the new cards.
i have a currently uncompleted deck, but went 2-3 at FNM.

1st round was some weird deck that relied on scepter of dominance + obelisk of alara for all its damage. no creatures except for a fulminator mage or two. regardless, he kept everything tapped down and it took forever to end game one.

game two i started off strong and got him down to about 10 pretty quickly before he stabilized and kept everything either off the board or tapped down. it went into OT and I was a turn away from winning when time was called. i needed one more mana to profane him to death

0-1

some really bad attempt at naya aggro. first game he got a nacatl up to 3/3 but a swarm of etheriums just gave him no chance.

second game he only got out one land. i felt bad, but i also won.

1-1

red-white kithkin. first game was over pretty quickly, as he got a figure and a few spectral processions out early and i just never caught up.

second game i sided in cumber stone which effectively shut down spectral and ended up beating face with a few tidehollow scullers and a master of etherium.

third game just sucked. mulled down to 5, didn't get a single land any of the times. i didn't draw a land until turn 3, but by then he had a spectral, meadowgrain, and a pumped figure.

not a bad matchup, but lands help.

1-2

got matched up with kithkin again. first game he ran all over me with goldmeadow, wizened cenn, meadowgrain, cloudgoat, and glorious anthem.

game 2 went well. i sided in 2 infests and 4 cumber stones. infest managed to sweep him twice while a couple masters lived off of a cumber stone, a mind stone, and each other.

game 3 was close but 2 cumber stones out ruined him. at one point he mirrorweaved his guys to become moe's, but it wasn't enough. an infest sweep just took him down and he couldn't do anything.

2-2

planeswalker control. i got destroyed, plain and simple. even after taking out removal and adding negates and countersqualls, i never had a prayer, either game.

2-3

well, there were about 30 people there and i made top 15 and won my first ever fnm matches, so that was nice. the white splash is very useful, as sculler saved my butt from a few spectrals, banefire, figure, and a nicol bolas. and o-ring is so so so awesome. i love it so much.

ethersworn shieldmage should be a fun card to use in this deck as well, at least for the more mid-range and control varities.
@Propasomethingorother...
This deck really is focused on the Etherium Snare version. If you're doing well, let us know, but this is primarily the Aggro-Combo. A LOT of people from the old thread will move here.
@Propasomethingorother...
This deck really is focused on the Etherium Snare version. If you're doing well, let us know, but this is primarily the Aggro-Combo. A LOT of people from the old thread will move here.

I appreciate the down-talking in regards to my fully understandable name. I moved my decklist to the correct thread hours ago.
I appreciate the down-talking in regards to my fully understandable name. I moved my decklist to the correct thread hours ago.

In fairness to you, Etherium Snare wasn't mentioned until the previous post. But since your posts are still there, it looks like you're still asking about them.
This inspired me.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
This inspired me.

Same, but you're the better deckbuilder here so since you're on it I'll sleep for now.

Thopter Foundry is insane.
Potshot/anyone else who has done significant testing - Can you provide matchup information?

And we need a banner.

GW

Anyone have any suggestions on how to build this deck without popping 8 bucks per ruins?
Hey so what happened with Niches legendary deck that was supposed to be revealed evetually? XD Yknow, the list that was said to be the best esper so far?
The problem with lands is that with our fast tempo, CiPT lands seriously hamstring us. You can get away with Turn 1 Arcane Sanctum or Crumbling Necropolis, unless you're running Ornithopter/Drum, and even then anything after Turn 1 is delaying you too long and risking the opponent stabilizing.

Painlands are probably better than nothing, but never quite fit well, at least for me. Thopter Foundry might improve my view of them, though.

Fortunately, Borderposts seem like they'll synergize quite nicely, and they look like they'll work essentially as lands.

I'll be interested in seeing 2010's approach to dual lands, but the potential loss of some of our cantrips will make that set a mixed blessing.

Basic lands do a pretty decent job, at least with my current U/B build... splashing the white does hurt things here. The land issue is a pity, really, since aside from lands and Master of Etherium it's a remarkably budget-friendly powerhouse.
Im in photoshop now, making a banner, any requests for cards to be used in the banner?
Constructed criticism on the banner i made?
IMAGE(http://i39.tinypic.com/1eount.png)
@potshot: i feel like Tezz deserves a place in there somewhere maybe? i like "don't blink". looks nice.

i played my deck without any sunken ruins. i ran a few pain lands, 1 vivid, 2 reflecting pools, 2 sanctums, the rest basics.
Is there any way to churn out artifact tokens? I want to make a UB artifact aggro deck and use Time Sieve to be able to get another turn and use it like a Final Fortune. Unfortunately the deck list right now doesn't seem too viable but I would definately like to tweak it.

Since Etherium Sculptor is a staple, that seems like a good choice.
Good quick work on the banner - although I think ut would look nicer with thopters on only 1 side, or else an invisible border between the 2 cards (i.e. a higher pedestal for the Elsewhere flask).

@SiliconPirate: I think drop Tidehollow Strix for Glaze Fiend - Strix is a more defensive play, and if you really want to pop out a ton of tokens each turn, Fiend gets a huge bonus from that. Moreover, his cost is reduced by Sculptor, unlike the strix.

Since you have 4 Countersquall, you can drop Negate (again, it's a defensive card and not an artifact), if not drop all your counters for more artifacts (like executioner's capsule, Elsewhere flask, Chromatic Star, or whatever).

Also, you have 4 Esperzoa, but no clear "bounce this" cards like Elsewhere flask. How does that work for you in playtesting?

Overall, it's hard to see how you get enough artifacts quickly enough to estabilize your opponent and then take another turn for the win.
Awesome banner, Potshot

If you're running pure UB, you should be able to get away without any dual lands (except for Borderposts). I don't run any, and the manabase is relatively stable. And since you don't need to purchase lands, the only expensive card (if you're running aggro-combo) is Master of Etherium.

I'll get Niche's permission to post the list, or just get him to post it. I prefer the aggro-combo version to his list, though.

GW

Is there any way to churn out artifact tokens? I want to make a UB artifact aggro deck and use Time Sieve to be able to get another turn and use it like a Final Fortune. Unfortunately the deck list right now doesn't seem too viable but I would definately like to tweak it.

-4 Tidehollow Strix
+4 Glaze Fiend

-2 Mask of Riddles
-2 Negate
+4 Mind Stone

-4 Countersquall
+4 Elsewhere Flask

Since the additions are all common/uncommon, you should be able to get them quite easily.

I don't think Time Sieve has a place in the aggro lists, but I haven't tested it yet. How does it fare?

You could try adding Rite of Consumption too.

GW

How about using Sphinx Of The Steel Wind as a wincon?
I'm leery about removing all of the counters because being able to stop a Wrath when they really need the wipe is nice. I'll try the Glaze Fiend in the deck and remove the Masks and Negates to run a playset of Elsewhere Flasks so I can get some card draw in. Currently I run 22 land but do you think I could get away with 21 if I went up to 4 borderposts? Also is Esper Stormblade worth running because of the borderposts and Foundry or would they just be too little most of the time?
Constructed criticism on the banner i made?
IMAGE(http://i39.tinypic.com/1eount.png)

Any reference to the Doctor who episdoe "blink"?
How about using Sphinx Of The Steel Wind as a wincon?

According to Potshot, it's too expensive w/o haste, and so doesn't actually work all that well.

I'm leery about removing all of the counters because being able to stop a Wrath when they really need the wipe is nice. I'll try the Glaze Fiend in the deck and remove the Masks and Negates to run a playset of Elsewhere Flasks so I can get some card draw in. Currently I run 22 land but do you think I could get away with 21 if I went up to 4 borderposts? Also is Esper Stormblade worth running because of the borderposts and Foundry or would they just be too little most of the time?

To quote Potshot again, instead of countering wrath, use Time Sieve on all your creatures. I haven't actually tried this.
As far as dropping a land goes, it depends on how much land you tend to have in games. If you are tight, don't, but if you have more than enough, try it. Playtesting will tell you either way.
IMO, Esper Stormblade is too small/slow for this deck, since it only has 2 toughness, and its cost isn't reduced by sculptor.
A good bomb does one of two things. They either set a very agressive clock, or they are extremely hard to solve. Sphinx does neither of those things.

The problem with Countersquall is that you have to leave 2 mana open to use it. The things your going to want to counter are usually played Turn 3-4, which is our most crucial turn. Turn 3 is usually bash 4-6, and 4 is 8-12. To do this you have to commit all of your mana. If you draw a countersquall late game it is not nearly as good as they have probly already pushed through there sweeper.

Anothe reason is Countersquall is a paradox choice. You want it in your first 10 cards, so you should run 4. but you dont want to draw it late game, so you should run 1-2.
I did some testing with a deck like this, and I must say that Evacuation has been a great SB card for me, especially in games where the board gets muddied up by lots of creatures, because usually, this deck can re-play its threats much faster than the opposing deck.

Thoughts?
Just wanted to give you guys my version of this for the block format.
Yes, it splashes white. In fact it's about 50:50 W:B. But the borderposts + Sculptor mean you get get em out by bouncing a tapped land, and if they come in turn 1 it's fine as you can't play anything else turn 1.

Anyway, any of your opinions/suggestions would be awesome.

Edit:
[C]Tezzeret the Seeker[/C] is a two clock bomb that turns everything including the borderposts I'm running into 5/5s that still get pumped my MoE (for this I believe you need to drop him in after using tezzer's ultimate).
I did some testing with a deck like this, and I must say that Evacuation has been a great SB card for me, especially in games where the board gets muddied up by lots of creatures, because usually, this deck can re-play its threats much faster than the opposing deck.

Thoughts?

I always used to side Infest for small tokens and such.
However, I usally kill (Or be killed) my opponent by the time I could cast a Evacuation. That is unless I'm playing control, but they don't usally run Creatures unless it's 'Lark, but even then Infest usally works.
Anyone have any match-up info yet?
I'd like to post my mono-blue version here, because there's nowhere else to put it, and a thread of its own wont get much attention...

The sideboard isn't perfect yet; I think I will take sigils out for +1 manipulator and masticore.

This deck is incredibly fun. Sculpting Steel is extremely underrated and obscenely powerful in this deck. Cumber Stone MD + Sculpting Steel puts an end even to 5cc and their Broodmates. They don't run 4 Cruels; they can't kill you. And I've done that.

This is pre-ARB, and I'll probably be adding a colour as a result. But as it stands, the deck is amazingly resilient on the slow draws, against the aggro decks, and incredibly fast against control decks when you drop a Sculptor, then another next turn, some free stones, a master or two, and a couple steel copies. It happens.
@Chazn2: does that manabase usually work out pretty well? you have 8 lands that are tapped when they come in, so i feel like that would slow down the aggro feel of the deck, but maybe I'm wrong?
Sign In to post comments