[Pre-Archetype]Elf Grenade

1012 posts / 0 new
Last post
Elf Grenade

IMAGE(http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Untitled-4.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d62/OMFGPIE/G_Divider.gif)

Introduction

What is Elf Grenade?

Elf Grenade is the fourth generation of a deck that uses green mana elves and red burn spells to abuse them. In the old days, cards like Llanowar Elf, Priest of Titania and specifically Skyshroud Elf were used to fuel huge Fireballs on their opponents. In modern era, Heritage Druid is the new magical Elf, combined with a bucketload of elves compliment of elvish promenade, which is absolutely devastating when you play more at a time, since each one counts the tokens created by the other. To keep on going Distant Melody was used in the first incarnation of this deck: Elf Grenade. Rather than Disintegrate, which was available at the time, the creator used roar of the crowd to instantly deal maybe 50 or even more damage to the opponent.

The third remake of the deck is very recent, in Extended. Monogreen elf decks were abusing the draw and tutor powers of regal force, weird harvest, and chord of calling or even summoner's pact only to finish off with predator dragon off a chord, or having a small red splash (or not - birchlore rangers works just as well) for either grapeshot or the original roar of the crowd. This deck has certainly proven itself seeing as Pro Tour Berlin was completely dominated by the deck.

With the rotation, Elf Grenade lost boreal druid and arguebly harmonize, but have gained nettle sentinel, an enabler that makes each other elf free in pairs, or even generate mana in triplets. Another great asset is Ranger of Eos, which is basically Standard's weird harvest. Fetching either the hard-needed heritage druid or a pair of nettle sentinels, this guy also doubles as a 3/2 if you need to go down the beatdown route. Honorable mention goes to skullmulcher, being an alternate regal force that doesn't cause you to draw and lose if there are too many tokens on the board already.

Cards to use:

Creatures

CMC 1

Heritage Druid - main enabler, though tutorable. 3-4 of
Nettle Sentinel - main combo piece, you want 3 in play. 4-of
Llanowar Elf - Accels, 1-mana elf. 4-of
Skyshroud Ranger - 1-mana elf, useful after drawing cards. 0-2 of
Birds of Paradise - More accel, though useless lategame or with Heritage Druid.
Twinblade Slasher - 1-mana elf, better if you plan to go down the beatdown route more often. 0-2 of

CMC 2

Bloom Tender - Can be very explosive, but distracts. 2-mana elf that can generate 5 is impressive though.
Devoted Druid - I haven't been using him, but he seems to be really useful, making 5 mana on turn 3 all by himself.
Elvish Visionary - Elf that cantrips. Should probably be 4-of

CMC 3

Imperious Perfect - For aggressive builds. Makes elf tokens, which is useful.
Scuttlemutt - comboes with Bloom Tender? Probably not.
Gilt-Leaf Ambush - more a creature than a 'other' card, it is quite useful in providing free elves while comboing, or making two deathtouch'd guys against aggressive decks. SB material, though you might like it main.

CMC 4

Ranger of Eos - Gets everything that's important. 4-of
Hunting Triad - Makes tokens early, generates mana late.

CMC 5+

Gilt-Leaf Archdruid - Alternate carddraw engine and possible win con
Reveillark - Good against mass removal. SB material
Skullmulcher - Controlled carddrawing is very, very important.
Regal Force - However, drawing cards and not losing elves is quite nice too.

Other stuff

CMC 1

Pithing Needle - Shut off manlands, Figure of Destiny, and more annoying stuff. SB option

CMC 2

Manamorphose - Fixes mana early and lategame, generate mana with nettle sentinels and cantrips. 4-of
Negate - If you are experiencing too much mass removal. SB option or even main.

CMC 3

Shared Animosity - Additional kill that requires another turn.
Recollect - Nice synergy with Elvish Promenade. Two of these go infinite (with triple Nettle and a Heritage) to no gain, though wurm's tooth is in the back of my mind.

CMC 4

Roar of the Crowd - Finisher of choice. You will draw it eventually. 1-2 of
Distant Melody - Draw cards. 2-4 of, depending on your manabase
Elvish Promenade - Not listed under creatures like its ilk because it's not just a token producer - it's THE combo card. Make more than 4 elves to generate mana with heritage druid, then cast another to gain ridiculous amounts of mana. 4-of

CMC 5+

Coat of Arms - Wins the game if they allow you to untap with it and a couple of elves.
Primal Command - Fetch a carddrawer or Heritage and set your opponent back one turn. 4-of
Beseech the Queen - A one-shot planar portal! Fetch anything. Expensive though, and does not get the most costy things due to its land restriction. 0-2

Sample Decklists

My current deck

[deck=Elf Grenade]
Creatures (20):
4*Llanowar Elves
4*Nettle Sentinel
3*Heritage Druid
3*Skyshroud Ranger
4*Ranger of Eos
1*Skullmulcher
1*Regal Force
Other (20):
4*Manamorphose
3*Recollect
2*Hunting Triad
4*Elvish Promenade
1*Roar of the Crowd
2*Distant Melody
4*Primal Command
Land (20):
3*Brushland
4*Vivid Grove
2*Flooded Grove
2*Wooded Bastion
6*Forest
3*Yavimaya Coast[/deck]

Does this work?/Testing

I have, so far, only tested online using the Forbidden Program. It is very fast, and, thanks tot tutors like Ranger of Eos and Primal Command, also very consistent. The average kill lies around turn 4, but turn 3 is plausible and I even managed one turn 2 kill during goldfishing. It has so far won all of the six games I've played, but that's not saying much, obviously.

Should I play this? Is it competitive?

This definitely requires a lot of testing before we can call this competitive. However, I think it has a lot of potential. The speed echoes that of the top Extended ElfBall/Elf Grenade lists, and though it has difficulty fighting through mass removal, it is certainly capable to if you play conservatively. Don't go beatdown unless you're absolutely sure it's safe!

Matchups

As always... Coming soon!

Thankies

Hodoku for the awesome dividers
evilweevil666 for the best banner-in-10-minutes ever!
i played a few FNM with this deck, extreme fun, specially when you draw 40 cards on turn 3 and finish the game with an 80 damage roar of the crowd, it's an awesome deck against aggro, since you are WAY faster than other aggro decks but it just dies against control, firespout is your worse enemy, every time i won against control decks with mass removal was because i started on the first game and was able to combo on turn 3, then the other player started and i lost, then i started again and won on turn 3, for me it has always been 2-1, 1-2 games against decks with mass removal, i stopped playing this deck because i didnt like the idea of having to win the roll dice in order to be able to win a game
Then you add thoughtseize and such to remove mass-removal spells.
This deck actually looks really fun in standard, too bad it can't do the turn 2 kills it can in extended.
I added Fable of Wolf and Owl into mine, since I pump out green spells and got no mana-troubles. Turn 3 fable, turn 4: go bananas and play torrent of souls or some devour-creature.

Devoted druid + Quillspike + flourishing defenses = x+1 elves!
Elvish Visionary seems good here.

Also, how does it go off on turn 2? What would the series of plays be?
Turn 1. Land, nettle sentinel.
2. Land, nettle sentinel and heritage druid. Tap, 3 mana. Play a one mana green dude, untap sentinels, tap for 3 mana, 5 in total, manamorphose for blue, untap sentinels, draw a card, play distant melody, continue.

Something like that.
I have been tuning this deck recently to fit/combat the current meta. My version packs the usual creatures and adds in for Negate. Pyroclasm and or Firespout ruin this deck and since RDW packs 'clasm's and 5cc usually run's spout or wrath running a few counters in the main seems like a good plan. I also run Broken Ambitions in the side. I will most likely be taking this deck to states here in Oregon this coming Saturday, so I will see how it fairs currently.

I know that I can consistently beat Kithkin, Tokens, and Merfolk. So the aggro match up is highly in my favor. It is the control match up I fear the most, that and RDW. I do know this though.. If you can go off T3 or 4 against control you can swing the game into your favor due to the loads of 1/1's or 2/2's you will have to attack with. Once they drop a spout or wrath you can negate it (hopefully) and continue on swinging. Later in the game, once they have enough mana to wrath or what have you AND back it up with Cryptic or Bant Charm we are screwed.

This deck wants the game to be fast and keep it that way!! Here is my list, and please comment and suggest ideas, as I want to optimize this by Friday!!

[deck=Sideboard]
4*Snakeform
4*Wolf-Skull Shaman
4*Broken Ambitions
3*Remove Soul[/deck]

That is what I am planning on running. The sideboard needs some work, maybe...

End of Line
I feel like it needs more card drawing. Like Chromatic Star or something. Glimpse of Nature is obviously what makes the Extended version run, but it's hard to replicate that.
Manamorphose. Essentially a green free draw spell.

Oh, and Gilt-Leaf Archdruid. For every druid you play, you draw a card, which is most of the creatures.
predator dragon?
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
I just golfished a bunch of games and I don't see how your list averages a turn 4 combo. You need Distant Melody to go off, and it's only a 2-of in your list. You only dig spells are 4 Manamorphose, which often don't get you there.

I question the lack of Visionary.
Should this deck run a non-red finisher, since Burrenton Forge-Tender is now mainboard material for Kithkin? Maybe a singleton Imperious Perfect?

I also support the addition of Elvish Visionary.

~Zozobra
// Lands
3 [10E] Yavimaya Coast
3 [10E] Karplusan Forest
10 [US] Forest (4)

// Creatures
4 [MOR] Heritage Druid
4 [EVE] Nettle Sentinel
4 [ALA] Elvish Visionary
4 [10E] Llanowar Elves
4 [10E] Skyshroud Ranger
1 [EVE] Regal Force

// Spells
4 [10E] Chromatic Star
2 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Ambush
4 [LRW] Elvish Promenade
4 [SHM] Manamorphose
4 [LRW] Primal Command
1 [MOR] Roar of the Crowd
4 [MOR] Distant Melody

This is what I have been testing and so far (just in goldfishing) it seems way more consistent than the list in the OP. Chromatic fixes colors and digs you a card to keep going. Ranger seems unnecessary and makes the mana bad.

Vivid Grove is awful here.
I ran a similar deck before, only I had Akroma's Memorial as a finisher.
With that gone, I'm considering the use of Mirrorweave, sort of an "elf-weave" variant. I'll go Gwu for this one. What do you think?
I've been running this since Alan Comber(? thats how you spell it) brang his to PT Hollywood:

It's more sligh elf ball than elf ball combo but I like it.
Splashing black for Thoughtseize is probably your best bet just because it not only gets rid of a potential hoser for your combo, but also gives you the information you need to play around whatever else is in their hand.

I've been testing with Coat of Arms as a win condition and it's been doing pretty well (main problem match-up is Fae because of their Thoughtseizes and Vendelion Cliques).
My average kill is turn 4 thanks to either primal command or ranger of eos fetching me the last pieces I need for the combo. After some more testing I think we should remove blue and go up to 3 Regal Force, since we have enough accel and are splashing 2 colors already.

A red win con doesn't sacrifice alot, even if you don't have another manamorphose you can just recollect and make red. However, as Zozobra correctly pointed out, burrenton forge-tender foils roar of the crowd. Even then, they don't run mass removal, and you have an army of over 100 elves while you temporal spring'd several of their lands with Primal command. Also, both recollect and the Command allow you to re-use it until they are out of Forge-tenders.

I also like Elvish Visionary... and I'll see how and if Gilt-leaf archdruid fits in.

Thanks for the comments so far! Editing now!
// Lands
3 [10E] Yavimaya Coast
3 [10E] Karplusan Forest
10 [US] Forest (4)

// Creatures
4 [MOR] Heritage Druid
4 [EVE] Nettle Sentinel
4 [ALA] Elvish Visionary
4 [10E] Llanowar Elves
4 [10E] Skyshroud Ranger
1 [EVE] Regal Force

// Spells
4 [10E] Chromatic Star
2 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Ambush
4 [LRW] Elvish Promenade
4 [SHM] Manamorphose
4 [LRW] Primal Command
4 [MOR] Distant Melody

This is what I have been testing and so far (just in goldfishing) it seems way more consistent than the list in the OP. Chromatic fixes colors and digs you a card to keep going. Ranger seems unnecessary and makes the mana bad.

Vivid Grove is awful here.

Am I seeing that correctly with 16 lands? I realize there's lots of mana-producers in the list, and am looking to build a variant of this type of deck, but I'm just wondering if that's the land total I should be shooting for?
It's too bad [C]Glimpse of Nature[/C] isn't in Standard, huh?
It's too bad [C]Glimpse of Nature[/C] isn't in Standard, huh?

Regal Force + elvish promenade make fine substitutes.
Am I seeing that correctly with 16 lands? I realize there's lots of mana-producers in the list, and am looking to build a variant of this type of deck, but I'm just wondering if that's the land total I should be shooting for?

I tried building a deck like this by my own (just found this thread) and lands is what kills me most often. My fastest win have been with 1 lander starting hands. Basically, once you have 2 lands, you don't want to draw any more lands. I run 17, but yeah, don't play too many.

I was playing elvish harbinger in my version because it helps both with the mana (I'm playing blue and red, I didn't think of using ranger and not sure if it's such a good idea anyway) and to find the missing piece. I was playing manamorphose and elvish visionary, so I can usually get the card in my hand on the same turn.
4 distant melody is a must if you're going full combo.

Here's what I've been trying, but it still lacks a little consistency.

I'd like to fit negate in there cause firespout is a killer. I was thinking of thoughtseize too. In both cases though, the problem is the mana base. I don't want to use vivids because this deck really doesn't want cipt lands and since I tend to keep one landers, filterlands aren't so good either. Chromatic star seems like a good idea, but I don't know what to cut.

predator dragon?

Predator dragon is used in the extended version because you can use chord to get it out. It's pretty much impossible to get triple red here.

-=edit=- I'm thinking of switching 1 roar for 1 sarkhan to bypass forge-tender. When I combo out, I can usually play a promenade for like 16+ elves, then you drop sarkhan and just attack with 16+ 2/2s. For that reason, I'm also cutting skullmulcher (either for another regal force or a primal command)
I dont like the idea of just put everything in 1 combo. So if everything went wrong I can still go with beat down.
Please comment

This list I've been playing has been getting consistent turn 4 wins and even after disruption can still combo off or put enough elves sideways to win

// Lands
2 [SHM] Wooded Bastion
3 [10E] Llanowar Wastes
3 [10E] Yavimaya Coast
4 [LRW] Gilt-Leaf Palace
4 [10E] Brushland

// Creatures
2 [10E] Skyshroud Ranger
2 [SHM] Devoted Druid
4 [EVT] Nettle Sentinel
2 [EVT] Regal Force
4 [SOA] Elvish Visionary
4 [SOA] Ranger of Eos
4 [10E] Llanowar Elves
4 [MOR] Heritage Druid

// Spells
3 [MOR] Distant Melody
2 [LRW] Primal Command
2 [10E] Recollect
2 [MOR] Hunting Triad
4 [LRW] Elvish Promenade
4 [SHM] Manamorphose

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [LRW] Imperious Perfect
SB: 4 [MOR] Negate
SB: 2 [SOA] Mycoloth
SB: 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
SB: 3 [LRW] Thorn of Amethyst

The op is right about ranger of eos, he is a 4-of and is just amazing
But you were deceived.
I dont like the idea of just put everything in 1 combo. So if everything went wrong I can still go with beat down.
Please comment

I just don't see the point of your deck. Basically, you have no token producers so no real way to get anyhting big off regal. You don't have much card draw so you have no way of comboing out. You have the heritage druid + nettle sentinel combo, but no fetch to get them together and almost nothing to play with them anyway.
You basically have the skeleton for the deck, but you're doing nothing with it. You just removed everything that made the kill and replaced it with quillpike combo.
Basically, you said "if everything goes wrong, I want to be able to go beatdown", so you removed everything that could make you go "right" and added WRV for the beatdown?

If I were you, I'd cut the mercy killing, they do nothing good here... cut the WRV, they're not enough to turn your deck into beatdown, cut 2 quillspike, cut one or 2 rite, cut the mirror entities, cut the archdruids, add some primal command, 4 distant melody, 1 roar, 3 or 4 promenade, 3 or 4 gilt-leaf ambush. Probably trade one or both regal force for skullmulchers because you can use them with rite.

There, now you can actually combo out the normal way and if that doesn't work, you still have quillspike combo (get it through primal command). If nothing else, you can have skullmuchers eat all your dudes and sac him to rite.
4x Elvish Visionary
4x Nettle Sentinel
4x Heritage Druid
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Devoted Druid
1x Predator Dragon
1x Furystoke Giant
2x Regal Force

4x Hunting Triad
4x Elvish Promenade
4x Distant Melody
4x Manamorphose
2x Roar of the Crowd

4x Fire-Lit Thicket
2x Karplusan Forest
2x Yavimaya Coast
4x Vivid Grove
2x Flooded Grove
3x Forest
4 x Skyshroud Ranger
4 x Llanowar Elves
4 x Heritage Druid
4 x Nettle Sentinel
4 x Elvish Visionary
1 x Guilt-Leaf Archdruid
1 x Skullmulcher
1 x Primalcrux
23 Creatures

4 x Manamorphose
4 x Elvish Promenade
2 x Gilt-Leaf Ambush
4 x Distant Melody
2 x Roar of the Crowd
4 x Chromatic Star
20 Spells

9 x Forest
4 x Island
3 x Mountain
17 Lands

This is what I put together today (I don't currently have access to the required painlands or Primals) and only got to play 6 or so games so far (more testing/tweaking this weekend), but the deck is really fun when it goes off.

I do have a couple issues with the deck, the main one being consistency. It could just be lack of luck, but I rarely get both Heritage and Sentinel in the starting hand, and almost always seem to start with at least one of my 1-ofs.

Skyshroud seems unnecessary here, since with 17 lands you'll rarely have more than a land in your hand before you go off, and when you do combo out, you'd just use the Skyshroud to tap for G with Heritage. However, I don't really know what to replace it with.

As for the 1-of's, I didn't put in Regal Force simply because I don't have any yet, looking to pick one up this weekend and swap it out for most likely Archdruid. I got Archdruid to resolve twice in my limited testing, and I wasn't really that impressed with its draw.

Primalcrux I threw in simply for fun, but it has come out as at least a 10/10 trampler each time I've resolved it. I'll keep it for now, but it definitely could just be a win-more card.

Overrun as a 1-of is awesome here. I had a bad game where I didn't pull either sentinel or heritage, and topdecking the overrun turned what looked to be a possible loss against kithkin into a slaughter.

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome, really enjoying this deck so far!!!
I'd be a little scared to play so many lands that don't tap for green. I'd cut the mountains completely. Usually, when I win off roar, it's because I just comboed out and drew like 20+ cards from melody, so I'll most certainly have a manamorphose to go with my roar. In your case, you even have chromatic star, so I doubt you'll have trouble playing your roar.

I don't like skyshroud ranger much either. I prefer devoted druid. He actually taps for mana by himself, which has been very useful early when I don't have heritage druid yet and when I do have heritage druid, he helps in the early iterations of the combo, when I only have 1 nettle sentinel because he too can untap (albeit only once, but it's usually enough).

The reason you have consistency problems is mainly because you don't play primal command. You may want to try harbinger for now (I, in fact, play both, but I seem to be the only one doing so). Between visionary, manamorphose and chromatic star, you should be able to get the card on the same turn if you really need it. Harbinger will also help your mana base since she can tap for any color.

Finally, you're talking about a 1of overrun, but it's not in your list! :P

@avenged_sixfold
I don't like your mana base. First, I really hate vivids in this deck since you really want to play something turn 1. For a similar reason, I like to keep filter lands to a minimum. For instance, there's strictly no reason to play flooded grove over yavimaya coasts, you have no double blue cards. You wouldn't need such an awkward mana base if it wasn't for predator dragon, and, to a lesser extent, the giant.
There's no reason to play predator dragon here. As I said earlier, predator dragon is used in the extended list because you can get it with chords. They almost never hardcast it. What does predator dragon do for you that roar doesn't? Both can get countered, both are stopped by forge-tender... The few weeknesses roar has, predator dragon has also. However, unlike roar, predator can also be removed or blocked. Similarly, why the furistoke giant? I would understand if you played primal command, but you don't. If you cut both of those, you can easely cut all the filters and vivids. Only cutting predator dragon should already help you stabilize your mana base a lot.

Finally, I think gilt-leaf ambush is a lot better than Hunting Triad. First, it can be played at instant speed and can be used as removal if you're lucky. The clash helps set up your draw, which is pretty nice with all the cantrips we have.
Those are all pretty minor reasons though, compared to the major two reasons.
a) it's 3cc. You already have a token producer at 4cc which is much better than hunting triad in this deck. Gilt-leaf embush fills a hole. 3 is a pretty important number in this deck.
b) With a nettle sentinel in play, it's a free spell. You tap 3 elves, get two elves and untap one, ready to make 3 more mana. With triad, you tap 3 elves, but still need to find a 4th mana somewhere, than untap sentinel, but can only make 3 mana because you can't do anything with the odd elf.

Once you get going, triad is marginally better, but it's starting that is the problem, once you get going, you have to be really unlucky to fizzle, so the little you gain from triad really isn't needed.
Finally, I think gilt-leaf ambush is a lot better than Hunting Triad. First, it can be played at instant speed and can be used as removal if you're lucky. The clash helps set up your draw, which is pretty nice with all the cantrips we have.
Those are all pretty minor reasons though, compared to the major two reasons.
a) it's 3cc. You already have a token producer at 4cc which is much better than hunting triad in this deck. Gilt-leaf embush fills a hole. 3 is a pretty important number in this deck.
b) With a nettle sentinel in play, it's a free spell. You tap 3 elves, get two elves and untap one, ready to make 3 more mana. With triad, you tap 3 elves, but still need to find a 4th mana somewhere, than untap sentinel, but can only make 3 mana because you can't do anything with the odd elf.

Once you get going, triad is marginally better, but it's starting that is the problem, once you get going, you have to be really unlucky to fizzle, so the little you gain from triad really isn't needed.

I think you missed that Triad can reinforce a guy above Pyroclasm, Firespout, and can finish games with that added damage, all while still being able to produce multiple guys. Very big when protecting a Heritage Druid. Not saying either one is better, just defending Triad a little bit.
Ranger of Eos seems amazing, and it might be the only thing that could make this deck viable.
Well after looking/thinking over your advice, I've tweaked the build a bit. You're right about the red mana sources, I cut those for more forests. Also cut Skyshroud and Archdruid, as I didn't really like the way they played. I brought Elvish Promenade down to a 3-of, because I don't necessarily want it in my starting hand, and brought Ambush up to a 3-of, because most of the logic you apply to Hunting Triad fits with promenade as well (with obvious differences). I popped in a 3-of of Devoted Druid as well as 3 Elvish Harbingers, to test their fetch ability.

So the updated list looks like this:

I think this is a little more consistent, but I'll have to test it out more. I was even thinking that Gift of the Gargantuan might have a place here, but I'm not sure what I'd cut for it, so perhaps not. Thanks for the feedback DarkSun2012!
Seems like GB would be good. Ad Nauseam, Profane Command, Thoughtseize...more consistent manabase? No?

You could go through some cards with Nauseam.
Seems like GB would be good. Ad Nauseam, Profane Command, Thoughtseize...more consistent manabase? No?

You could go through some cards with Nauseam.

So you want to replace roar by profane and melody by ad nauseam? This isn't an infinite mana combo, so although I do get over 20 mana every now and then, it wouldn't happen every time I go off.
As for ad nauseam. Lets just say I usually draw 15+ cards with melody and often over 20. I doubt ad nauseam can get you anywhere near that amount of cards.
Finally, you go from 3 colors (4 if you're using ranger) to 2 colors (3 if you keep ranger), but you replace two cards with a single colored mana with two cards with double black. You're not really fixing the mana base...

You can try it if you want, but you reduce the consistency of the combo to help the mana slightly and I'm not even 100% sure the mana base would be better.

-=edit=- after a few goldfish, I must admit ranger helps a lot when you're able to play him. I didn't have time to goldfish enough to figure out if I can do it reliably enough (I cut the harbinger and I don't use the chromatic stars), but it seems pretty good. For now I cut 2 karpulsan forests and 2 regular forests for 4 brushlands, but I may also end up cutting black completely to stabalize more.
So you want to replace roar by profane and melody by ad nauseam? This isn't an infinite mana combo, so although I do get over 20 mana every now and then, it wouldn't happen every time I go off.

I'm aware it's not an infinite mana combo.

As for ad nauseam. Lets just say I usually draw 15+ cards with melody and often over 20. I doubt ad nauseam can get you anywhere near that amount of cards.

Nauseam is better post Wrath. With Manamorphose and Elvish Visionary, in addition, seems like plenty of draw.

Finally, you go from 3 colors (4 if you're using ranger) to 2 colors (3 if you keep ranger), but you replace two cards with a single colored mana with two cards with double black. You're not really fixing the mana base...

Double black is hard to cast w/green? I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm not trying to be disagreeable here, as I haven't even sleeved this up yet. I'm just not seeing it.

You can try it if you want, but you reduce the consistency of the combo to help the mana slightly and I'm not even 100% sure the mana base would be better.

It's not a very consistent combo anyway, but I don't see how going GB would take away from the deck. Again, I'm not trying to be a dick...maybe I'm way off.
I'm aware it's not an infinite mana combo.

My point is that people often think that a win cond that works for inifnite mana combo will work for this deck. It will work every now and then, but not all the time.

Nauseam is better post Wrath. With Manamorphose and Elvish Visionary, in addition, seems like plenty of draw.

This is something you have to try before you can tell. Melody is what makes the deck work. You can try nauseam, but try with melody first, you'll see the difference.

Double black is hard to cast w/green? I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm not trying to be disagreeable here, as I haven't even sleeved this up yet. I'm just not seeing it.

I'm not saying it's hard, I'm saying it's not easier than single blue and single red.

It's not a very consistent combo anyway, but I don't see how going GB would take away from the deck. Again, I'm not trying to be a dick...maybe I'm way off.

You're replacing the win cond that works all the time with a win cond that only works some times and replacing the major card draw with a card that will, at best, draw half of what melody would. That's how you're taking away from the deck.

Goldfish both, you'll see.
Just a few general comments.

Ranger of Eos seems entirely necessary to make this deck nearly consistant enough. As silasw said, it is most likely the only thing that makes Elf Grenade viable.

Furystoke Giant is an excellent way to avoid Burrenton Forge-Tender, although it only allows you to hit them once (twice if they kill it). Predator Dragon circumvents Burrenton Forge-Tender in a way since it can hit repeatedly, but it can be chump blocked by spirits from Spectral Procession over and over. I would, of the two, choose Furystoke Giant.

Also, I can't think of anything in this area, so maybe you can. Is there any non-red way to abuse having 50+ elves in play (that would lead to a kill)?

~Zozobra
Just a few general comments.

Ranger of Eos seems entirely necessary to make this deck nearly consistant enough. As silasw said, it is most likely the only thing that makes Elf Grenade viable.

Furystoke Giant is an excellent way to avoid Burrenton Forge-Tender, although it only allows you to hit them once (twice if they kill it). Predator Dragon circumvents Burrenton Forge-Tender in a way since it can hit repeatedly, but it can be chump blocked by spirits from Spectral Procession over and over. I would, of the two, choose Furystoke Giant.

Also, I can't think of anything in this area, so maybe you can. Is there any non-red way to abuse having 50+ elves in play (that would lead to a kill)?

~Zozobra

recollcting roar of the crowds always works

edit: I also run coat of arms it allows me to have a fundamental turn 2 win and is great for firespout/infest defense
But you were deceived.
I play sarkhan vol. He wins.
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
Ok, well i was kinda bored so i just made this up fast for this. If you think something should be changed i might, but it's unlikely because i just had free time.
BTW i know it sucks, but usually i spend like maybe half an hour min. but this was like 10 mins. Enjoy!
Is there any non-red way to abuse having 50+ elves in play (that would lead to a kill)?

~Zozobra

Um, attacking?? :P

I think that them more color that are added to this deck the harder it will be to go off. There is nothing wrong with being able to swing with 20+ 1/1's or 2/2's.

I played my version at a tourney this past Tuesday and took 4th out of 18 players. I ate Kithkin for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Managed a lucky win against Cruel control and lost due to mana screw to Fae. BTW sweet tech against the Cruel Control is Wilt-Leaf Liege. It pumps as well as comes into play free once they play C.U., and we like that.

I have not tested Ranger yet, and to be honest I am hesitant to splash white just for him. Draw is rather abundant in this deck and I haven't ran into too many problems when tutoring/drawing into Heritage Druid. But I am not above trying it out after states.

@evilweevil666: I like the banner actually!! GG?? That's good!!

End of Line
Ok, well i was kinda bored so i just made this up fast for this. If you think something should be changed i might, but it's unlikely because i just had free time.
BTW i know it sucks, but usually i spend like maybe half an hour min. but this was like 10 mins. Enjoy!

While the Archdruid shouldn't be played, it's a beautiful elf. I like the banner. Mind if I rip it?

EDIT: Will test some and change my deck within the next hour