[Pre-Archetype] Reveillark Control

781 posts / 0 new
Last post

Reveillark Control

IMAGE(http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku/GWUB.gif)

What is Reveillark Control?

Reveillark Control is a control deck centered around gaining Card Advantage with Reveillark whilst maintaining some sort of board position with either a disruption package of Tidehollow Sculler and Fulminator Mage or a more aggressive package of Doran, The Siege Tower and Gaddock Teeg. Either way you slice it, Reveillark Control isn't red...

How does one play Reveillark Control?

The play style of Reveillark Control varies quite a bit depending on what you're playing against. Against dedicated aggro you want to roll with the punches, removing there threats, gaining card advantage (CA), and staying above burn range (against Red). Against control you can try and get your threats on the board early, and then use CA to carry you the rest of the way home. Also something to note, play style differs greatly depending on build, with some builds running a green package (bant charm Doran, The Siege Tower Rox War Monk and Gaddock).

Card Selection

Creatures:

Reveillark The deck's namesake.

Tidehollow Sculler Turn two disruption in a 2/2 body, run 3-4 MD

Mulldrifter Probably the best Reveillark target ever, run 4.

Fulminator Mage With everyone and their uncle playing so many non-basics these days, this guy always makes the cut, run 4.

Sower of Temptation Being able to steal a creature has always been good, but due to the small body Sower can get taken out pretty easily. Run 2-3 MD, 1-2 SB

Plumeveil Flash. Flying. 4/4, fits nicely on the curve, only drawback is that whole defender thing…run 1 – 2.

Shriekmaw While nice, so many creatures post shards are artifact/black, making Shriekmaw’s influence much less, additionally, the 3 power means he’s not recurrable with Lark. There are better options

Kitchen Finks Great against agro and burn, SB card

Nekrataal The other options I said above in the comments for Shriekmaw meant this, run 1-2 MD

Glen Elendra Archmage Great against control.

Murderous Redcap Recurrable by ‘lark and deals damage when it comes into play AND its got persist. Predominately a SB card.

Puppeteer Clique

Rox War Monk a 4/4 with Doran, The Siege Tower and it's got lifelink, 3-4 MD

Doran, The Siege Tower a 5/5 that makes some of our guys bigger...oh ya, you can fetch him with 'lark 2-3 MD by legend rule.

Gaddock Teeg If you're running green, this guy is a beast. Shutting down so many big spells down for 2 mana is good I hear. Also recurrable by Reveillark. Run 2-3 MD by legends

Spells:

Broken Ambitions decent counterspell that goes online turn 2. I personally like this card against kithkin when I’m on the play, being able to shut down a turn 2 Wizened Cenn is just hawt.

Cryptic Command It’s Cryptic Command and we’re running a control deck, nuff said.

Esper Charm Our MD answer to Bitterblossom but it can also discard/draw cards…at instant speed! Run 2-3 MD, 1-2 SB

Makeshift Mannequin Recurring is what this deck is all about, and doing it at instant speed is always a good thing, right? Run 1-2 MD.

Wrath Of GodStops aggro in its tracks by resetting the board. 3-4 MD, 0-1 SB

Agony Warpstrictly better than nameless inversion in this deck. Pretty easy to 2-for-1 an opponent (specially a aggro player) when you have a dork out

Runed Haloanswer card to problem creatures. run 2-3 SB

Bant Charm Now you can't run GUW control without this spell. this charm takes care of problem creatures. 3-4 MD

Thoughtseize Turn 1 disruption is good I hear.

Condemn

Remove Soul SB card that performs well against creature-heavy decks

Negate SB card, good against control decks, namely Fae/5cc

Deck Lists

Testing Results

With Reveillark Control placing well in multiple large scale tournaments, we can say with some certainty that the "best" way to look at a WUB version is disruption with Tidehollow Sculler Esper Charm and a counterspell package such as Negate and Remove Soul and the most effective way to build a list using Green utilizes the power of Bant Charm Doran, The Siege Tower and Gaddock Teeg. Having said thus, I don't believe it necessary to provide testing results to prove the mettle of this deck, as it has proven that this deck is a heavy contender in the current meta.

Matchups:

Fae: Tough matchup simply because most of the relevant spells we’ll play are sorcery speed, giving them all the tempo. MVPs=Makeshift Mannequin and Esper Charm; the ability to play these EOT and having the Fae player forced to play a counter on their turn is essential to being able to force through a Reveillark on your following turn.

Five Color Control: Our bread and butter matchup, this is the deck Reveillark Control is designed to beat. MVPs=Tidehollow Sculler and Fulminator Mage; turn 2 sculler and turn 3 mage against 5cc is the nuts, and makes very tough for the 5cc player to make a come back. [c]Mind Shatter[c] out of the board makes this match even saucier...

White Weenie: With only Wrath of God as a board sweeper this matchup can be tough. However with many as the same cards as 5cc this matchup is definitely favorable. MVPs=Wrath of God is your only real answer MD if they try and get an early swarm on you, but post sidint we get answers such as Story Circle[c] and [c]Knight Captain of Eos.

RDW: Very hard game 1, due to the fact that we really don’t have a MD answer to a second Demigod. But because of post-SB games this winds up evening out a bit at the end.MVPs=Sower of Temptation, only problem being is that it has to stick.Runed Halo post side board is just hawtness...

Doran/Elves/Rock: Good matchup, all of our MVPs really shine in these games. MVPs=Wrath of God, Tidehollow all doing what they were made to do, with Fulminator Mage taking down their Treetop Village.

Note: Thanks to Hodoku for the sweet dividers and format for this thread.
Creatures:
4x[C]Mulldrifter[/C]
4x[C]Reveillark[/C]
2x[C]Knight-Captain of Eos[/C]
4x[C]Kitchen Finks[/C]
3x[C]Sower of Temptation[/C]
Spells:
3x[C]Wrath of God[/C]
3x[C]Mind Stone[/C]
3x[C]Makeshift Mannequin[/C]
4x[C]Esper Charm[/C]
4x[C]Cryptic Command[/C]
3x[C]Broken Ambitions[/C]
Land:
23 Land

Sideboard:
2x[C]Runed Halo[/C]
4x[C]Thoughseize[/C]
2x[C]Mind Shatter[/C]
3x[C]Glen Elendra Archmage[/C]
4x[C]Infest[/C]

This is my current testing list I have found [C]Fulminator Mage[/C] and [C]Tidehollow Sculler[/C] very underwhelming in the matchups they are supposed to be good in and are not very good topdecks overall
Hi, you might not be aware of this, but the Tournament Center has some fairly important guidelines [thread=1100906]here[/thread] that need to be followed when posting new threads.

You seem to be serious about wanting to tune this deck for competitive play, so I'm not going to get it moved to the Deck Help subforum right away, but I will ask that you spend some time over the next day or so to bring it up to the standards set forth in the guidelines. I'll be checking back in a while, and if you've made the necessary changes, great! But if you haven't, this thread will be moved to the Deck Help subforum.

This thread still requires:

Testing results (as in, you have already tested the deck and have results. Decks being tested belong in the deck help subforum until they meet this requirement).

Matchups.

How the deck plays out.

Thanks.
lol matchups

Fae = Bad = they have better tempo
Toast = Good = you have better card advantage
Aggro = Okay = they can kill you before you overwhelm them with sweep and card advantage
lol matchups

Fae = Bad = they have better tempo
Toast = Good = you have better card advantage
Aggro = Okay = they can kill you before you overwhelm them with sweep and card advantage

hehe...ya those are pretty much how they go.

i'll make sure i work on those sections rooster

@weaboo: how is mind stone working for ya? i just think that with running cards like esper charm and cryptic command main deck that the colorless mana wouldn't be much help
OP is updated with matchups and a "how to play" section. any and all suggestions on the thread are greatly appreciated!
// Lands
4 [ALA] Arcane Sanctum
3 [10E] Caves of Koilos
4 [SHM] Mystic Gate
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [SHM] Sunken Ruins
2 [IA] Underground River
2 [LRW] Vivid Creek

// Creatures
3 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter
4 [MOR] Reveillark
3 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
2 [EVE] Stillmoon Cavalier

// Spells
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [ALA] Esper Charm
3 [LRW] Makeshift Mannequin
4 [WL] Mind Stone
4 [8E] Wrath of God
2 [SHM] Runed Halo

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [EVE] Glen Elendra Archmage
SB: 2 [ALA] Knight-Captain of Eos
SB: 4 [ALA] Infest
SB: 2 [MOR] Mind Shatter
SB: 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize

This is my current testing list
is stillmoon a meta call? i'm not saying its a bad choice for this deck but i've yet to see one MD in 'lark control.
is stillmoon a meta call? i'm not saying its a bad choice for this deck but i've yet to see one MD in 'lark control.

Prot from black and white, has plenty of funky ways to block creatures or evade to hit the opponents life total.

I think its a good choice.
He is kinda like mutavault with protection ad I usually have a lot of mana out in every matchup making him pretty strong.
hmm...i guess i just really love my tidehollow sculler, turn 2 disruption on a 2/2 body is just so good against a lot of decks in the meta IMO. and the fact that he's recurrable by 'lark is just gravy
went 3-0-1 at my FNM this past week.

round 1 (2-0)
jank WW, easy mode win. agony warp is the MVP against aggro, being able to 2-for-1 off a simple two mana

round 2 (2-1)
bant control. sculler dominates, espescially a turn 2 sculler and esper charm is just sexy here, getting rid of the o-rings he had mained

round 3 (2-0)
drawing a big blank on this one, i can't remember this round for the life of me...

round 3 (1-1-1)
went to time, against 5cc. should've seen his face 2nd game when i cast my singleton one-of cruel FTW

NOTE: agony warp is awesome. cruel is cool but i don't know if its meant for this deck. going down to 3 scullers might be a good idea, but i have no idea what I could replace it with, maybe minus that and the cruel for 2 sower?
This is what I've been playing.
Creatures:19
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Fulminator Mage
2 Glen Elendra Archemage
1 Sower of Temptation
4 Mulldrifter
4 Reveillark

Sorceries:7
3 Thoughtseize
4 Wrath of God

Instants:10
2 Negate
3 Remove Soul
4 Esper Charm
1 Makeshift Mannequin

Lands:24
4 Arcane Sanctuary
4 Reflecting Pool
3 Caves of Koilos
3 Underground River
1 Adarkar Wastes
2 Mystic Gate
2 Sunken Ruins
2 Fetid Heath
1 Vivid Meadow
1 " " Creek
1 " " Marsh

SB
4 Condemn
1 Glen Elendra Archemage
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Negate
1 Remove Soul
2 Sower of Temptation
1 Thoughtseize

I am sans-Cryptic in this list, and not looking back. Dropping Cryptic let me run more threats in that slot and more lower-cost yet very effective counters. Cryptic messed with my gameplan too much. Often times the best thing to use it for was to tap down attackers...

I have to say that this deck destroys Toast. I haven't got to play against Faeries too much, but so far they haven't been a problem.

I have a lot of control hate MD because I see those decks taking over. In the event of a tough aggro match-up, nearly all my SB is aggro-hate.

I think that there needs to be more explanation in the "How does one play Reveillark Control?" section; I can't exactly explain what's needed, but something is.
ya, i've seen several lists (and kinda agree with it) that don't have cryptic, UUU can be kinda hard to cast for this mana base at times, and the fact that taking it out allows you to play more threats is always good.

against fae 'lark is an okay matchup, but definitely not the greatest. the MD esper charms really pull through in this matchup, and even more-so post board.

i agree, the 'how does one play this deck' section is lacking...but i really don't know what to write, any suggestions are greatly appreciated
I actually made my deck before I saw the Randy Williams decklist or the one Billy Moreno suggested on SCG. My whole goal was to beat Toast and Fae, and have a decent pre-board match up against any aggro that Toast or Fae failed to take out. My deck started out as a Mannequin variant using TS, Sculler, and Vendilion Clique, but then I decided lark was better.

I know that traditionally Fae beats Reveillark, and that's part of the reason why I have so much MD control hate. Post SB, I feel even better about it. Something people should take into consideration, is their curve. I've seen a few decklists floating around with almost nothing in the 1-2 slots. That seems like a very bad idea in general and even worse against decks like Faeries where you may be fighting to get your spells through, or Kithkin where you are on a very tight clock. Remove Soul, Negate--anything really; just have some early plays that will stop the bleeding or give you an edge in the control match up.

I also feel that anyone running black should strongly consider Thoughtseize somewhere in their list, as it can strip any GY hate your opponent might be holding. However, if you are running TS, you may have to use a decent amount of painlands to get it on T1.

I will try to help with the How to Play section later, perhaps just sending you some sample of writing to go from. As for now, I'm much too tired for that.
I've been running UWB Lark, with less counterspells and a couple more combo pieces. I'm thinking it is the strongest way to go for Lark ATM actually. I also tried UWR, but I'm not sold on that one JUST yet, despite having a much more aggressive approach.

I'm amazed no-one has mentioned Mistmeadow Witch. She is a little fragile, but she ALWAYS puts my creatures to good use - recurring draw with Mulldrifter while he's still in play, continuously bouncing Reveillark out to fetch out more 2-power creatures each turn, blinking any blockers or attackers out temporarily. She's more of a 2-of slot, at most a 3-of slot, but she is well worth it being a Turn to Mist on a stick IMO.

I don't run Makeshift Mannequin, but instead I run a singleton MD Doomed Necromancer. I've found the synergy between Lark and the Necromancer to be hilarious, and he can also return cards like Kitchen Finks. He can be burned away, but that's not much of an issue as he can still be retrieved. And IF Lark dies, he can ping back in and reanimate it at a pinch. Without the Mannequin counter.

We also have Nevermaker as a possible choice for a new Riftwing Cloudskate, it sets them back in tempo more than the Cloudskate did, but it still wouldn't be my first call. SB perhaps?

You also forgot to mention Murderous Redcap - in a meta where aggro decks are trying to squeeze in as much Gaddock Teeg as possible (with a couple of exceptions), he's nearly wrecked me on several occasions. Redcap would be a SB card, but a possibility over Nekrataal for the fact he can also hit cards like Ethersworn Canonist AND persists.

What about Familiar's Ruse as a counter spell? Ping back Lark, persisted creatures, Mulldrifters, etc, to play them again and get back their abilities while hard-countering any spell they play. And 2 mana.

This is my list:

2 x Mistmeadow Witch
3 x Tidehollow Sculler
3 x Fulminator Mage
4 x Kitchen Finks
1 x Doomed Necromancer
3 x Mulldrifter
3 x Reveillark
1 x Knight-Captain of Eos
1 x Mirror Entity

3 x Turn to Mist
3 x Agony Warp
3 x Esper Charm
4 x Wrath of God
3 x Cryptic Command (I'm looking to replace this one as it is seriously clunky - maybe -1 Turn to Mist and these, +4 Negate or 4 x Familiar's Ruse)

4 x Arcane Sanctum
4 x Adarkar Wastes
1 x Caves of Koilos
1 x Mystic Gate
5 x Island
4 x Plains
4 x Swamp.

Sideboard:

4 x Thoughtseize
1 x Agony Warp
3 x Burrenton Forge-Tender
3 x Condemn
2 x Glen Elendra Archmage
2 x Sower of Temptation

The mana base leaves a little to be desired, I'm still rewiring it, but its' been surprisingly efficient.

Cryptic in this deck is just ugly and clunky - 4 mana instant to draw a card is pointless, the tap down isn't great when I can be wrathing the board instead, a 4 mana counterspell is OK, but at 1, I'll say no in this deck, and the bounce effect can easily be achieved elsewhere.

The way I've been playing is to set up the first couple of turns of stalling while adding to my hand advantage - Mulldrifter, Tidehollow Sculler, Kitchen Finks, etc, all do really well there. Then after I stabilise the board position, I go to work on the field and their hand. So basically stabilise the board position ASAP for the first couple of turns, then proceed (in the case of the Fulminators and Scullers) to decimate their mana and hand while keeping a lock on the board at the same time.

So far its' done really well for me.

EDIT:

I actually made my deck before I saw the Randy Williams decklist or the one Billy Moreno suggested on SCG

There's been decklists suggested already? I'd done the same, but that was more because it was the natural evolution of my UWB reanimator at the time (Which is now UBR). I may go have a nosey for curiosity's sake.

Toodles
Game experiences: I took this to a 3-round FNM (We didn't have more time to play more) as well as playing some games either side:

twInsanity Mill deck (1-0) - at the time I was running a couple more Negates maindeck at the time, so when I wasn't hurting his hand with Scullers and Charms, I was negating his big mill spells.

W/B Aggro (1-0) - He got off to a bit of a slow start, I kept pulling Divinity of Pride or similar out of his hand with scullers. Eventually he got a Deathrbinger Liege out and started trying to walk over me. I wrathed the board down and put down another sculler to steal his Divinity, nothing he could do.

Doran Rock (2-0) - I managed to get him topdecking both games and staved off his more aggro elementals with cards like Mulldrifter and recurring them before sweeping the board away. Gaddock Teeg was an issue, but end of his turn I used Turn to Mist to get Teeg out until the end of my turn, then Wrath of God came down and swept the board. We stayed at a bit of a deadlock for a bit until I started getting back more CA.

R/B Goblins (2-0) - He moved surprisingly fast actually, but he couldn't get past my wall of recurring Mulldrifters, blinking Kitchen Finks and the soft lock of Mistmeadow Witch. Second game was no different.

G/W/U Bant Control (2-0) - I saw Wilt-Leaf Liege, Stoic Angel, Empyrial Archangel and Clarion Ultimatum as his main threats, Bant Charm never hit anything, and Tidehollow Scullers kept his hand off anything too useful.

Onto the FNM:

G/W "Little Kid" Elves (2-0) - First game was a farce, second he got down Gaddock Teeg and managed to lock 3 x Wrath of God and 2 x Cryptic Command in my hand. It stayed that way until I finally managed to Turn to Mist his Teeg to play Wrath, leaving just Teeg and some Finks on the board. It didn't get any prettier for him from there, his oversouls kept being Condemned away, his Vanquishers and Treetops felt the harsh end of Agony Warp, etc.

Mirror-Master Kithkin (0-2) - First game was over in moments, even though I connected for 21 damage to him - but he had gotten to 39 Life with Knight of Meadowgrain, all my board sweepers and kill spells didn't come up. Second game, he got down a Wizened Cenn and a Spectral Procession with a Windbrisk Heights and I finally found a wrath and swept the board away. He came out with Cloudgoat Ranger afterwards and overwhelmed me. Getting mana floods on both games did not help, but that is still a rough match-up.

Mono-W knights (2-1) - the only loss was a concession from me because I couldn't draw more than two mana to do anything. First game, he attempted to storm the board with cheap knights and Light from Within, but the board was wrathed away and I kept control from there. The third game really wasn't different, except this time Elspeth, Knight Errant made a showing. She died straight away through combat damage.

I could have done better Vs the Kithkin match, but that is a seriously hard match as it stands.

Toodles
@drachir: if you don't mind i think i'm gonna put your list in the OP, simply because it uses the negate/remove soul package over the broken ambitions, it doesn't have cryptic in it, and you have the archmage as a 2-of MD. how is 4-of esper charm working? i really like the discard at instant speed, but not sure if i want it as a 4-of.

@thetruesloth: in terms of combo pieces and fitting them into here, i think it makes the deck a bit too inconsistent for my tastes, although a couple of the cards you mentioned (namely redcap and the witch) are definitely considerable IMO. Additionally, Doomed Necromancer is strictly worse for this deck in my opinion. Being able to play mannequin EOT is key against certain matchups (*cough*fae*cough*) which necro can't do. Familiar's Ruse I think falls into the same category, this can act as a good counter, but it is more situational than negate/remove soul, and while bouncing creatures CAN be beneficial to us, i'm not a fan of it. Thanks for the FNM results, really helps out a bunch
@drachir: if you don't mind i think i'm gonna put your list in the OP, simply because it uses the negate/remove soul package over the broken ambitions, it doesn't have cryptic in it, and you have the archmage as a 2-of MD. how is 4-of esper charm working? i really like the discard at instant speed, but not sure if i want it as a 4-of.

It's fine with me if you want to put it in the OP. I freaking love Esper Charm, but I love card draw in general. 4 may be too many; I had 3 in the original build and wouldn't go below that personally. I put 4 in because, in the control mirror, whoever has access to more cards wins. Not always obviously, but the statement isn't too off. I also love the MD Bitterblossom hate, which will be relevant if everyone is worried about their Faerie match up. If I were to cut one, it would possibly be for a Nakrataal.

Familar's Ruse should probably never be used. It can do some cute things, but it says, "As an additional cost" meaning that if it's countered, you just boomeranged your creature for nothing, and can't be used with an empty board.
@drahcir: your list was added.

at this point i'd really like to try and convince people that the "red splash" for Cruel Ultimatum is just awesome. while it is pretty generic, it is very good against control, espescially fae (if you can get an EOT esper/mannequin and then they don't have the mana to negate cruel, game over) sideboarded out for g2/3 against aggro of course. the only real change in the mana base is the inclusion of a couple more vivid lands. any thoughts on this would be awesome to hear.
^I would not splash for Ultimatum, because that will make this deck considerably slower and end up as a worse version of Toast. No Ultimatum is good against Faeries; Toast sides them out against Fae, because of how useless they are in that match up.The way to beat Toast and Fae is to be highly disruptive. The best way to disrupt an opponent is to get started in the first couple turns, if possible.

I don't like Cruel Ultimatum in this deck, because it will slow the deck down too much for what it's trying to do. If you splash red for it, you might as well play Firespout, and the best way to maximize utility out of Firespout is to play green. Now you are playing five colors, so you should play all of the best spells--welcome to Toast.
^I would not splash for Ultimatum, because that will make this deck considerably slower and end up as a worse version of Toast. No Ultimatum is good against Faeries; Toast sides them out against Fae, because of how useless they are in that match up.The way to beat Toast and Fae is to be highly disruptive. The best way to disrupt an opponent is to get started in the first couple turns, if possible.

I don't like Cruel Ultimatum in this deck, because it will slow the deck down too much for what it's trying to do. If you splash red for it, you might as well play Firespout, and the best way to maximize utility out of Firespout is to play green. Now you are playing five colors, so you should play all of the best spells--welcome to Toast.

i 'spose you're right, ah well. it was just a test anyway, i'll update my list later on with no ultimatum
I think mutavault is really good in these lists especially the non cryptic variants you only need to go double B/W/U in any case and filter lands hit that mutavault is really good.
^I don't think I would try Mutavault in this deck. The deck seems to very color hungry, and I'd rather have a stable manabase. If you do try it, I'd say cap it at 2.
I was actually running Cruel Ultimatum as a two of for a while, and it was ok, but I would rather have Two more creatures.

Has anyone tested Knight-Captain of Eos with Elspeth?

I have been using 3x Knight-Captain 2x Elspeth and I really like it. Infinite fogs are annoying, but it can win games, so try it out. I will post my list tomorrow and see what you guys think about it.
i agree, mutavault really doesn't fit in here, this deck is too color intensive IMO.

@NachoTheGreat: I really like Knight Captain of Eos, not sure about the inclusion of Elspeth but I'm still really interested in seeing your list.
I like the idea of the soft lock against aggro it seems really interesting...if Knight-Captain could sac to himself it would be infinitely better.

And honestly this deck isn't that color hungry past turn 3 or 4 mutavault can sneak in damage against toast and has good synergy with sower. I run cryptic in my testing list and I am doing fine with vault and mindstone.
This is my list that I have been testing lately. It has been testing fairly well, I just need to figure out what to take out for either 3-4 Fulminator mages.

[deck=Sideboard]
2* Agony Warp
3* Condemn
1* Esper Charm
2* Firespout
1* Loxodon Warhammer
3* Negate
1* Oona, Queen of the Fae
2* Remove Soul
[/deck]
Can you talk about your sideboard a bit?
Well, the agony warps, firespouts, remove souls, and condemn are sided in against various forms of aggro. Esper charm, negate, and Oona are for control. Warhammer, well just because. I could use some advice for it.
@NachoTheGreat: list looks good, the green splash for bant charm is interesting, how's that working for you? also, i'd put the finks in the sideboard, then main deck a set of fulminator mages.
@NachoTheGreat: list looks good, the green splash for bant charm is interesting, how's that working for you? also, i'd put the finks in the sideboard, then main deck a set of fulminator mages.

Bant Charm is absolutely ridiculous. Green isn't hard to get at all, due to all of the vivids and Pool.

Really? I would have cut 1 Wrath, 1 Sculler, 1 Bant Charm, and 1 Finks for 4 Fulminators. I just really like finks, I guess. If I ended up taking finks out, he would just be removed completely. I have no idea what I would take out of the sideboard for him anyway.
ya, the 4x WoG, 4x Sculler "package" really helps against multiple matches game 1 IMO. enough so i think you gotta keep them in there. maybe the elspeth? i recognize the synergy with the Knight but I really don't know how much I like her in this deck

something to note i think: 'lark got 2 top 16 spots in the SCG 5k on saturday, one being UWGb, black being for thoughtseize and esper charm, i'll put the decks up in the OP later on
Yeah, I can understand that. I prolly will drop Elspeth, and maybe 2 finks? What do you think?
@thetruesloth: in terms of combo pieces and fitting them into here, i think it makes the deck a bit too inconsistent for my tastes, although a couple of the cards you mentioned (namely redcap and the witch) are definitely considerable IMO. Additionally, Doomed Necromancer is strictly worse for this deck in my opinion. Being able to play mannequin EOT is key against certain matchups (*cough*fae*cough*) which necro can't do. Familiar's Ruse I think falls into the same category, this can act as a good counter, but it is more situational than negate/remove soul, and while bouncing creatures CAN be beneficial to us, i'm not a fan of it. Thanks for the FNM results, really helps out a bunch

Not a problem

I haven't had a huge amount of time to continue playing with variant of Lark because of recent draft tournaments, etc. What games I have managed to get in have been pretty much the same as usual.

I'm looking to go to a FNM soon, so I'll post up some more results if I can once I get the last of my cards for the deck.

Murderous Redcap is alright, definitely worth a mention. I've been having more success with Agony Warp though in doing the same job as a creature-kill spell, and I really don't miss the burn that much.

Mistmeadow Witch has continued to prove to be obscene. I'd consider taking three of her, but then I find if I have one in play, that's all I need and all others are dead draws.

Hmm, Doomed Necromancer - I've had another person mention to me they thought Mannequin was the stronger choice. I can definitely see the point, but I just don't think the deck needs it. To be fair, the only real thing that Mannequin has over the Necromancer is the Instant speed play. Thankfully, once the Necro guy has gotten over his sickness though, he can be popped at a pinch - and unlike Mannequin - can be recurred pretty much as many times as you want to reanimate more. Plus he doesn't put mannequin counters on anything which means I can happily Turn to mist Lark, etc, without having to put them back in the GY again. He basically acts as Reveillark no. 4, Kithen Finks no. 5, etc.

Regarding Fae, I'm interested to see how my deck handles them though - I have 4 x Thoughtseize SB, 3 x Tidehollow Sculler MD, 3 x Fulminator Mage MD and a couple of Glen Elendra Archmages SB for such similar match-ups. I think the best approach would be to maim their manabase and hand as much as possible to stop them being able to play properly. It'll still be a fairly tough match-up IMO, but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I have to confess, I'm a little meh about Familiar's Ruse. Its' great later game, but TBH, I want counterspells I can run earlier too. To that end, I've gone back to MD'ing Negate - I find in my meta the issue is not the creatures so often (as there's a decent amount of good creature kill around) but its' the obscene spells like Mirrorweave and Cruel Ultimatum, plus Negate protects my combo pieces. The other alternative (I refuse to run Broken Ambitions anymore) would be Hindering Light (which won't stop Planeswalkers, etc) or Remove Soul (Nifty, but I don't have much trouble on the creature front - I'll probably devote some SB slots to them).

The wierd thing I've found is that with 3 x Esper Charm and 3 x Mulldrifter, along with 5 Blink Spectaculars is that I really am not lacking in CA or anything. Also it gets to the point that drawing more than 1 Reveillark CAN end up being a bad thing, so I tend to run 3 instead of 4.

All that said, I've ditched Knight-Captain of Eos for Oona, Queen of the Fae. Doesn't fit the normal style, but I just felt it would be cool to have an alternative Win-Con besides the usual, and Oona is a bomb. I've also ditched Cryptic Command for Negate. I've also got a slot from the Mirror Entity that I've taken out, and I'm either going to fill it with a 4th negate or - just because they are fun, if perhaps a little overkill on the CA - a 4th Mulldrifter.

Side note: Has anyone tried Voice of All in the current meta with lark?

Toodles
My build, any recommendations? It's been performing extremely well:

2 mistmeadow witch
4 tidehollow sculler
4 fulminator mage
2 sower of temptation
1 nekretaal
4 mulldrifter
3 reveillark
1 knight-captain of eos

2 negate
3 esper charm
4 cryptic command
2 makeshift mannequin
1 elspeth, knight-errant
3 wrath of god

4 reflecting pool
1 sunken ruins
4 arcane sanctum
3 caves of koilos
2 fetid heath
2 adarkar wastes
2 mystic gate
2 underground river
1 vivid meadow
2 vivid creek
1 vivid marsh

SB:
3 condemn
4 thoughtseize
3 runed halo
1 negate
1 wrath of god
2 glen elendra archmage
1 sower of temptation

nice list, although the 1 of elspeth, nekrataal, and knight is kind of confusing; if you could explain those choices more that'd be cool.

so I'd like to hear people's opinions of turning this into just a Revillark thread, 2 'lark decks made top 16, however one was not built around this archetype, and the UGWb 'lark deck looks very promising, i just don't know if 2 decks with so little in common can be of the same thread
so I'd like to hear people's opinions of turning this into just a Revillark thread, 2 'lark decks made top 16, however one was not built around this archetype, and the UGWb 'lark deck looks very promising, i just don't know if 2 decks with so little in common can be of the same thread

I think that Reveillark is Reveillark, no matter what colors it is. It's a successful archetype that can just be improved in general. Just my
k, the WUB 'lark deck that top 16'ed in the SCG 5k is in the OP. hopefully I'll get motivated soon and make it just a "Reveillark" thread, because that doran lark list looks tasty...
That doran list seems to have a lot of non-bos and Doran + Lark has not proven to be that good over time.
eh, we'll see, but it looks strong as of now, so i really can't see the downside to including it, even if WUB is eventually determined to be the way to go