UB(w) Faeries

1412 posts / 0 new
Last post
Made with Atma's approval.

[size=7][color=blue]Fae[/size][/color][size=7][color=black]ries[/size][/color]
IMAGE(http://a207.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/40/l_c987d6eebdc895275e7cd1677ec1127e.jpg)

What is Faeries?

Faeries is a control deck that utilises the principals of Draw-Go to gain control of the board, deny your opponent their spells and win off the back of Bitterblossom and or Mistbind Clique.

What is "Draw-Go?"

"Draw-Go" is the original control deck that graced Magic many a moon again. The basic principles behind Draw-Go were exactly that: Draw, Go. The deck would control the game through permission spells until it was able to drop a win-condition supported by counter magic and win the game by preventing their opponents from doing anything.

Faeries relies on this principle in that, with the exception of Bitterblossom and Jace Beleren, all of our spells are either instants or creatures with flash, thus allowing us to play them as instants. Most everything we play is on the opponents turn, like traditional Draw-Go decks.

IMAGE(http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d62/OMFGPIE/UB_Divider.gif)

Card Choices

Faeries in Standard

Cloud Sprite: A 1/1 Faeries for . It helps with a turn two Spellstutter Sprite, but since you're aiming for a turn two Bitterblossom, he isn't much help. On top of that, he's a terrible top deck late game as well. Don't Run.

Nightshate Stinger: A worse version of Cloud Sprite. Don't Run.

Oona's Gatewarden: 2/1 flyer, with defender and wither. You have better things to do on your turn. Don't Run.

Briarberry Cohort: 1/1 Faerie for 1, no flash, that gets +1/+1 so long as you control a blue permanent. You have better choices for the 2CC slot. Don't Run.

Nectar Faerie: No flash, irrelevant ability. Don't Run

Oona's Blackguard: Good Faerie, but it doesn't have flash and we're not playing Rogues.dec. Don't Run.

Oona's Prowler: Pre-Morningtide Staple, however Bitterblossom is better in every way possible. Don't Run.

Spellstutter Sprite: Staple and trademark of Faeries. Counterspell on a stick just isn't fair. On the play, a turn two Bitterblossom makes this guy better than counterspell 9.99/10 times. Run Four. Always.

Dewdrop Spy: A 3cc Faerie that lets you peek at the top card of a players library. Don't Run

Pestermite: Pre-Morningtide Staple. For 2U he's a 2/1 flyer that'll tap down your opponent's biggest attacker or tap down X mana, untaps a random Faerie to block or allows you to play two Faeries on T4 (himself and Spellstutter Sprite) to help counter a spell. He's an amazing card, but in today's meta, he doesn't cut it. Not recommended.

Scion of Oona: The Faerie Lord. He flashes in out of nowhere to provide your Faeries an additional +1/+1 and shroud. He also acts as a pseudo-counterspell if you flash him into play after a Faerie has been targeted since the shroud will cause the spell/ability to counter on resolution. Run Four. Always.

Silkbind Faerie: Hybrid Faerie that doesn't have flash, but can untap himself. Don't Run.

Thieving Sprite: Slightly better than Ravenous Rats, which has seen play, but ultimately his lack of flash does him in. Don't Run.

Vendilion Clique: For 1UU, you get a 3/1 flying Faerie that (1) allows you to cycle a useless card in your hand or (2) allows you to take away your opponents strongest card. Downside is your opponent gets to draw, but it's a fair trade. Strongly recommend one to three between your MD and SB.

Wasp Lancer: 3/2 flyer for three U/B. No flash, no deal. Don't Run.

Dreamspoiler Witches: 4CC, no flash. Don't Run.

Faerie Harbinger: At 4CC, she has too much competition to really be worth playing. Don't Run..

Faerie Macabre: 2/2 Flyer for 1BB, no flash. As a creature, he isn't worth playing. However, he's an okay SB card if you have a lot of graveyard based decks in your meta. Don't run MD. Maybe SB if absolutely, 100% needed.

[b]Faerie Swarm[/c]: 4CC, no Flash, no deal. You have better choices. Don't Run.

Fencer Clique: 4CC, no flash, no useful ability and no deal. Don't Run

Final-String Faerie: 3B, no flash creature that only destroys a creature if they were damaged this turn. Unless they're blocking, well, you're not damaging their creatures. Don't Run.

Glen Elendra Liege: A 4CC worse version of Scion of Oona and has no flash. Don't Run.

Glen Elendra Pranksters: Doesn't compare to your other 4CC options. Don't Run.

Inspired Sprite: Faeries version of Merfolk Looter. You have better card draw options. Don't Run

Knacksaw Clique: Another 4CC Faerie without flash and a useless ability. Good butt, but you have better options. Don't Run.

Latchkey Faerie: If it costed one less and had flash.. but alas, at 4 CC and no flash, it's not worth running. Plus, tapping out in your turn isn't advised 9/10 times. Don't Run.

Marsh Flitter: 1/1 for four, no flash. Don't Run.

Mistbind Clique: A pseudo-Time Walk. Flash it in on their upkeep to prevent them from playing a spell this turn (most likely), flash it in as a surprise blocker, or even to save one of your Faeries from certain death. Combined with Scion of Oona, this card is a house and one of your primary win-conditions. Run Four. Always.

Sentinels of Glen Elendra: You'd want Faerie Harbinger over this, and you don't even want the Harbinger really. Don't Run.

Sower of Temptation: Control Magic on a stick! This card is extremely powerful, being a three for one often times. Playing Scion of Oona turn three, followed by this turn four can make Aggro a sad panda real quick. SB Only, 2-3 copies if you run it.

Wydwen, the Biting Gale: Wydwen is actually a decent card; 3/3 for 4 with the ability to save herself isn't really bad. But again, at 4 CC, you're already packed so you simply can't afford Wydwen. Don't Run.

Glen Elendra Archmage: Decent SB card against control decks. Can counter two different non-creature spells and, should she die via Wrath/Terror/Agony Warp she persists back to threaten to counter another non-creature spell. Run 0-3 SB, meta call.

Glamer Spinners: UW Hybird Faerie with Flash for 5CC and an irrelevant ability. Don't Run

Nightshade Schemers: 3/2, no flash, for 4. Cute kinship ability, but alas, it breaks the top of the curve (four) and the ability isn't worth tapping out for. Don't Run

Puppeteer Clique: With Quick N' Toast being one of the best decks in the format, Puppeteer Clique might find a home in the sideboard. He isn't MD worthy. Sideboard only, 1-2 copies if you run it.

Oona, Queen of the Fae: 6CC Fattie with no flash, but a very strong ability. In Faeries, she doesn't see play because of her lack of flash. Don't Run.

The best Faeries are, in no order:
Spellstutter Sprite
Scion of Oona
Sower of Temptation
Mistbind Clique
Vendilion Clique

Universal Creature base:
4x Spellstutter Sprite
4x Scion of Oona
4x Mistbind Clique
0-2 Vendilion Clique

12-14 Faeries on average.

Enchantments/Planeswalkers/Artefacts

Bitterblossom: The saviour of Faeries decks. Since it's birth in Morningtide, it has propelled Faeries to the best deck in standard (TSP-LOR), the best deck in Lorwyn Block, and has Faeries looking to be one the best, if not the best deck, in the new standard (LOR-ALA). Run Four. Always. No questions asked.

Runed Halo: If you're playing "Esper Faeries" (WUB), Runed Halo is a strong choice for the Sideboard. Runed Halo shuts down problematic creatures like Colossus, Demigod, Figure, etc. 0-4 SB

Jace Beleren: The Heir to Ancestral Visions. Granted, he is not as good as Ancestral Visions, he's the best card drawing engine available to Faeries at this time. Strongly recommend 3 MD and 1 SB

Loxdon Warhammer: Helps against RDW and can randomly win you some games. Some player it as a miser one-of in the MD (including me). No more than 1 MD, maybe 1 SB

Bottle Gnomes: Helps if you play a lot of RDW. 0-4 SB, meta call

Razormane Masticore: 5CC first strike, 5/5 creature that deals damage to your opponent's creatures on your draw step. Very good anti-aggro card. Suggested 3 SB

Liliana Vess: The 5CC black Planeswalker that tutors for a card. Good, but breaks our curve and we have better things to do T5. Don't Run

Counters/Card Draw

Broken Ambitions: The next best counterspell in standard, now that Rune Snag is gone. Whilst I personally hate this card, we need some kind of early counter. Run 2-4 MD.

Ponder: Some like it as a T1 play, but honestly between Jace (and possibly Esper Charm), it's hard to justify running Ponder. Some run it as 1 of, which is okay if you have the random space. Don't Run

Remove Soul: Hard Counter for creatures which, arguably, are our biggest weakness. Run 0-2 MD

Negate: A Remove Soul for Non-creature spells. Not MD worthy, but a strong SB card if QnT is rampant in your meta. 0-3 SB, 0 MD

Hindering Light: A UW counter for a spell that targets you or a permanent you control. A bit narrow; I prefer Negate myself. Still, I haven't tested this myself so I'll make No recommendation.

Cancel: Worse version of counterspell and our 3CC spot is packed. Don't Run.

Faerie Trickery: Better version of Cancel but our 3CC spot is packed. Don't Run

Esper Charm: The second strongest of the Alara Charms (with Bant Charm being the best), Esper Charm is worth running if you're playing "Esper Faeries." Instant Draw 2 is NOT to be underestimated, and the ability to neuter your opponent's hand or kill that random pesky enchantment is just icing on the cake. Run 4 if you play "Esper Faeries."

Punish Ignorance: 4CC counter that combines Absorb and Undermine. Good card, but only playable in "Esper Faeries" and even then, you don't want too many 4CC counters. Don't Run

Cryptic Command: Holy Sweet Jesus. This card does everything a blue mage could ever ask for. It counters spells; bounces permanents, draws a card and even fogs the bloody opponent, keeping you alive one more turn. The card is so versatile, it's obscene. This card wins games -- straight up. Run Four. Always. Period.

Universal Counter Base:
0-4 Broken Ambitions (4 suggested)
4x Cryptic Command
0-2 Remove Soul

Removal

Deathmark: Solid sorcery-speed removal for Green and or White creatures around the meta. A meta call. 0-4 SB

Peppersmoke: Good removal for opposing Faeries decks, but alas, you may or may not have room for this. A meta call. 0-4 SB

Thoughtseize: Great against control and the mirror, but not so hot against aggro. Strongly suggest 4 SB

Condemn: Removes an attacking creature for W and the opponent gains life equal to the toughness. Okay removal for "Esper Faeries." 0-4 MD, 0-4 SB

Cruel Edict: Can deal with trouble creatures like Troll Ascetic and Chameleon Colossus if they're the only creatures on the board. You have better options. Don't Run.

Agony Warp: Woohoo! A UB instant that allows you to split the effects. One creature gets -0/-3 and another -3/-0. Kills a creature and fogs another. This is better than Nameless Inversion. Run Four.

Nameless Inversion: With the birth of Agony Warp, Nameless inversion just doesn't cut it anymore. Don't run.

Terror: Too many black creatures running around to justify terror. Agony Warp is better. Don't Run.

Shriekmaw: See Terror.

Infest: 1BB sorcery that gives all creatures -2/-2 until EOT. Whilst not great, and no Damnation, it's good enough for Faeries. Unless you're playing "Esper Faeries" run 3-4 SB.

Eyeblight's Ending: 3CC instant that kills a non-elf creature. Decent removal as a 1-2 of MD, possibly in the SB as well. 0-2 MD, 0-4 SB

Wrath of God: If you're playing "Esper Faeries," this is your Damnation. Run 3-4 SB if you play "Esper Faeries."

Land

Since Faeries is a control deck, and one that loves mana, it is strongly recommended that you run 25 land. 24 is the absolute minimum, and not advised.

Suggested UB Mana base:
5 Islands
4 Secluded Glen
4 Underground River
4 Sunken Ruins
4 Mutavault
2 Swamp
2 Faerie Conclave

If you're playing "Esper Faeries," you'll want to include land cards like Arcane Sanctum, Mystic Gate and maybe a few Vivid Creek.

Possible WUB Mana base
4 Arcane Sanctum
4 Secluded Glen
4 Underground River
4 Mutavault
4 Mystic Gate
3 Vivid Creek
2 Sunken Ruins

Decklists

[deck=Possible "Esper Faeries" UNTESTED]
Land: 25
4* Arcane Sanctum
4* Secluded Glen
4* Underground River
4* Mutavault
4* Mystic Gate
3* Vivid Creek
2* Sunken Ruins

Creatures: 12
4* Spellstutter Sprite
4* Scion of Oona
4* Mistbind Clique

Spells: 23
4* Bitterblossom
4* Agony Warp
4* Cryptic Command
4* Esper Charm
3* Broken Ambitions
2* Jace Beleren
2* Remove Soul

Sideboard: 15
4* Thoughtseize
4* Wrath of God
3* Vendilion Clique
3* Runed Halo
1* Jace Beleren[/deck]

[deck=Esper Faeries by Tim Furrow
First place SCG Cruise Qualifier Tournament]
Land: 26
4* Arcane Sanctum
4* Mystic Gate
4* Sunken Ruins
4* Secluded Glen
4* Faerie Conclave
4* Reflecting Pool
2* Island

Creatures: 14
4* Sepllstutter Sprite
4* Scion of Oona
4* Mistbind Clique
2* Vendilion Clique

Spells: 21
4* Broken Ambitions
4* Bitterblossom
4* Agony Warp
4* Esper Charm
4* Cryptic Command
1* Loxodon Warhammer

Sideboard: 15
4* Thoughtseize
4* Terror
3* Oblivion Ring
2* Sower of Temptation
2* Glen Elendra Archmage[/deck]

Matchups

In the works.

Special Thanks to...
Hodoku, for the awesome dividers
Titanium Dragon for his work on the first three faerie threads.
turtleboy52387 for the awesome banner.
Nice I do enjoy the fact that esper fae can run runed halo and condemn to take care of annoying creatures.

There is one fae I think you missed that might be good in SB
Glen Elendra archmage
Hindering Light and Condemn seem good here.

I don't like Jace, especially when you have access to Esper Charm. Condemn would brobably be better, as a MD answer to Colossus among other fat things.

I'm not sold on Remove Soul, but that may be opinion/meta.

Is this better than red-splash fae though? Grixis Charm answers the majority of relevant threats in the format and also has the little "I win" line so long as you have 4/5 creatures on the table. Having a 3-costed Wrath MD is extremely relevant in some matchups, but pretty useless in others.
Nice I do enjoy the fact that esper fae can run runed halo and condemn to take care of annoying creatures.

There is one fae I think you missed that might be good in SB
Glen Elendra archmage

Thanks. I knew I missed something. I'll add it in later.

Arven: Condemn is listed; hindering light is okay but what makes it better than Broken Ambitions or Negate?

Edit: If you're running WUB, Jace isn't needed, just extra CA. If you run Condemn I wouldn't run Agony Warp or Runed Halo; my preference in Warp/Halo. I've done no testing with the WUB list up there, it's mostly there as a "here's what it could look like" kind of thing.
also in your sample mana base instead of using vivids why not use the w/u pain?
It seems that you have more than enough access to black
Thanks. I knew I missed something. I'll add it in later.

Arven: Condemn is listed; hindering light is okay but what makes it better than Broken Ambitions or Negate?

Edit: If you're running WUB, Jace isn't needed, just extra CA. If you run Condemn I wouldn't run Agony Warp or Runed Halo; my preference in Warp/Halo. I've done no testing with the WUB list up there, it's mostly there as a "here's what it could look like" kind of thing.

Hindering Light is never going to replace Broken Ambitions, but it's an ace SB card. There's so much it hoses..
Discard: Thoughtseize, Cruel Ultimatum, Mind Shatter, Raven's Crime, Blightning
Removal: Unmake, Esper Charm, Bant Charm, Naya Charm, Flame Javelin
Commands: Cryptic Command, Profane Command and Primal Command can all be countered conditionally.
Random stuff: Sanity Grinding, Rite of Consumption, Chaotic Backlash, Naya Charm, Corrupt

Of course that's nothing because BA can do all that too, but Hinderink Light cantrips :P It's at least really strong in UltimatumToast/5CCharms/QnT.
Hindering Light is never going to replace Broken Ambitions, but it's an ace SB card. There's so much it hoses..
Discard: Thoughtseize, Cruel Ultimatum, Mind Shatter, Raven's Crime, Blightning
Removal: Unmake, Esper Charm, Bant Charm, Naya Charm, Flame Javelin
Commands: Cryptic Command, Profane Command and Primal Command can all be countered conditionally.
Random stuff: Sanity Grinding, Rite of Consumption, Chaotic Backlash, Naya Charm, Corrupt

Of course that's nothing because BA can do all that too, but Hinderink Light cantrips :P It's at least really strong in UltimatumToast/5CCharms/QnT.

Eh, you have a point. But I like Negate better myself. I'll add it to the OP though.
I like Esper Faeries in a matchup against Grixis Fae. t2: BB t3: Esper charm their BB. I wonder though against other decks. What are the advantages of Esper over the speed of Grixis?
I like Esper Faeries in a matchup against Grixis Fae. t2: BB t3: Esper charm their BB. I wonder though against other decks. What are the advantages of Esper over the speed of Grixis?

Esper can stall or slow versus Grixis' speed up and deploy. Consider how Runed Halo is very useful in the mirror by stopping Clique. The advantage in deling with your opponent's Blossom is also good, and you have just as good a method of running Unmake as they do, and possibly with less mana screwage, too.

Faeries isn't an aggro deck; it's a control deck. Speed isn't all that important; keeping control is.

When you compare the two, UBR has:
- Grixis Charm
- Firespout
- Random burn

WUB has:
- Esper Charm
- Wrath of God
- Runed Halo
- Condemn

On the charms, Esper Charm is the second best charm out of Alara, with Bant being the best (and that's because it can counter the other charms). Instant speed draw is extremely strong, which makes Esper Charm, hands down, the stronger charm. -4/-4 is nice, but Esper has Condemn and Agony Warp to handle that. Bounce is nice, but not really needed. I remain convinced the +2/+0 is win-more and completely unneeded.

Wrath > Firespout.

Runed Halo and Condemn can handle creatures like Demigod, Colossus, Figure, whatever you need to deal with (so can Agony warp, colossus notwithstanding). When you pair Esper Charm with Jace (which I highly recommend), you have so much CA it's insane. CA wins games, straight up. You need CA against decks like QnT and Faeries, otherwise they'll simply bury you under their massive card advantage.

Yes, UBR has speed, but in a protracted battle against UB/UBW/QnT, unless you have some form of CA to keep up, you're in trouble, and right now it looks like UB and QnT are going to be the top decks.
I remain convinced the +2/+0 is win-more and completely unneeded.

The only thing I disagree with in your analysis. Having playtested with it, it's incredibly potent. Has won me many games that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Everything else you stated I agree with fundamentally, though depending on the matchup and situation, Firespout can be better than wrath. Wrath is usually better though.
Hmm, I'm trying to stay off the faeries since I was completly obsessive with this deck.

Anyway, on matchups my main concern is both WW and the creation of new and powerful midrange decks. (Largely unplayable due to Visions and snags)
Blossom is now easier for toast to deal with as well.

That said the deck gains some of the rogue bonus as faeries are no longer tier 1.

I'll whip together esper faeries for some playtesting.
I think we need a discution about terror. Agony warp is nice, but I somehow miss killing a thresher/pumped figure for 2 mana...

I thought the reason we stop playing it was that RDW was everywhere and that terror dosnt hit gouger/demigod... But now that RDW isnt really a bad MU anymore, shouldn't we consider it back?

If you look at shards from terror perspective :
- Broodmate dragon is black, but you can still hit the token.
- Could produce a halfly decent zombie deck, in where terror would be really bad.
- Rhox war monk, stoic angel and wooly thoctar are really scared of terror.
- QnT makes a big comeback, and being able to efficiently kill threshers might prove very important.

Overall I think that terror has gotten alot of value in shards... Only sprouting thrinax (that you don't really wanna spot removal aniway) sees alot of play.

Also, colosus isn't really a problem anymore for 3-5 color fae... grixis fae has a faster kill than the decks running colosus and UBw has GAME BREAKING sideboard against it (runed halo). So thats one less target we have to consider when choosing to run terror or not.
my sideboard for this deck:

4 wrath of god
4 kitchen finks
4 thoughtseize
3 jace beleren

maybe

condemn ???
runed halo ???
after thinking about it esper fae seems way stronger than grixis it has access to one of the best point removal spells in standard condemn it does not have to play its card draw at instant speed and has MD bitterblossom hate via esper charm it has better mass removal wrath of god
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=26560

This cool guy did OK at the win-a-cruise SCG tournament. I hear he almost top 8'ed, then a topdecked cruel ultimatum saved his opponent.

I hear that stillmoon cavalier was absolutely gamebreaking for him all day long, so the OP might consider adding it to a list somewhere. He told me that in retrospect he wishes he had sideboarded one of the condemns and maindecked the 4th esper charm, since he ran into toast all day long. He'd also revise his sb to:

3x Scion Of Oona (sb for mirror, pretty useless against toast's mass removal)
4x negate (SB for toast, they don't run many creatures.)
1x Condemn (Side in this fourth one vs nonexistant aggro)
1x Oona's Grace (Explained below)
3x Infest (He only sided in damnation vs kithkin. this does the job)
3x fulminator mage (He hates toast badly.)

Or something similar that hates a little harder on toast. The oona's grace is for the toast matchup, since you are guaranteed a late game and really need to not run out of gas. MD condemn makes demigod deck wins not quite as backbreaking.

Fae preys upon Bant control.

I personally like esper fae over grixis fae because the added aggression of grixis fae kind of runs that deck straight into brick walls of toast.
I personally like esper fae over grixis fae because the added aggression of grixis fae kind of runs that deck straight into brick walls of toast.

Actually its still a good matchup, especially when you side in jaces/esper charms (Yes, grixis fae has access to those too).

Now stillmoon cavalier... How is he in the QnT MU? In the token MU? If the awnser is "good" to both of those questions, I guess he's worthy of consideration.
Hmm, I'm trying to stay off the faeries since I was completly obsessive with this deck.

Anyway, on matchups my main concern is both WW and the creation of new and powerful midrange decks. (Largely unplayable due to Visions and snags)
Blossom is now easier for toast to deal with as well.

That said the deck gains some of the rogue bonus as faeries are no longer tier 1.

I'll whip together esper faeries for some playtesting.

If Midrange becomes a strong part of the Meta, we may have to move to WUB so we'll have Wrath. Whilst I haven't tested WW myself, testing from MTGS seems to say it's not too bad. Their favour G1, ours G2/G3 since we can board in Infest.

I don't agree about it not being Tier 1; toast and Faeries are shaping up to be the best decks (so far). The SCG 5K and States will tell us more.

Thamoo: I see what you're saying, but Agony Warp can deal with a FoD as well. I dunno. I've been very, very pleased with Agony Warp overall. It screws up combat math so much it's not funny, and often is a 2-for-1. Terror and Nameless will always be one-for-one.

ChronicleEdge: Wow, thank you for that list. I'll definitely add it to the OP along with an explanation of some of the card choices.
is infest really better than WoG against kithkin i would assume killing figures that are 4/4 or bigger and double lords would be worth the 1 extra mana not to mention the fact that it is better against Demigod Red and doran and elves and any other type of midrange deck
I don't have problems with a few exceptionally big creatures. Those I can condemn, counter, use bitterblossom or stillmoon to fend off indefinitely. The problem is the weenie swarm. If i can take care of the sigiled paladin, knight of meadowgrain, and wizened cenn in one go, im happy.

Stillmoon is VERY good in the qnt matchup, and the more charms they run the better he is. For example, in one of my matches I thoughtseized a qnt hand that had naya charm, bant charm, wog, and cryptic. I took the wog, played cavalier, and he went almost the whole way. Not to mention immunity to archon is awesome, and I even had one game where dropping stillmoon brought the game to a halt since the qnt pilot wouldnt attack into him with double finks.

Most of the tokens lists I see run bitterblossom. He races bitterblossom super well. I don't have AS much experience against the token matchup with stillmoon, but i can't imagine him being bad.

Completely unrelated, I've been considering a transitional lark sb:

3x lark
3x archmage
4x fulminator mage
3x jace beleren
2x infest

untested, but seems promising. To me. LD and negate on crack, with recursion, seems promising to me vs toast. in comparison to my other proposed sb:

3x Scion Of Oona (only real loss, since he is a mirror-breaker)
4x negate (archmage>?)
1x Condemn (meh, singleton)
1x Oona's Grace (jace >)
3x Infest (remains)
3x fulminator mage (remains)

Seems like a pretty narrow sb, and could probably use a 3rd infest. But I mean, sunday at SCG was at least 50% toast. Not even lying.

What do you guys think?
@irebel, thanks in advance for OP'ing my list.

Also, I haven't tested jace yet. Ever since lorwyn i basically assumed he was terrible, but I could see him being good vs toast.

When you play jace, do you -1 him twice, then +2 him, or do you deplete him to death and not give toast the card?
Against toast he is so easy to keep up. I only "sacrifice" him when I have others in hand and that I'm sure I can resolve it without being cought with not enough mana for a next turn counter war.

Drawing 2 cards from jaces in one turn is hawt
@irebel, thanks in advance for OP'ing my list.

Also, I haven't tested jace yet. Ever since lorwyn i basically assumed he was terrible, but I could see him being good vs toast.

When you play jace, do you -1 him twice, then +2 him, or do you deplete him to death and not give toast the card?

I've had a LOT of success with Jace in UB Faeries. I generally go plus two first and deplete him until one or two counters remain, then plus two again.

Against toast, minus one, minus one, plus two (repeat).

I haven't done any WUB testing with Jace, so I have no idea if he's needed alongside Esper Charm. Though between Jace and Esper Charm, you'll have so much CA it's insane to really think about.

I also have the honour of presenting the Faeries that won the Cruiser Qualifier in Starcity Games. Without further ado:

Linky

Thoughts?

My initial thoughts are:
- It appears that Jace + Esper Charm is overkill (though it's easily tweaked to put Jace in without harming the deck, I think)
- No Wrath of God in the sideboard is interesting and a choice I fundamentally don't agree with.
- No Razormane Masticore is also interesting. If the SGC 5K and States follow suit, control may be more dominant than expected.

What does everyone else think?
If Midrange becomes a strong part of the Meta, we may have to move to WUB so we'll have Wrath. Whilst I haven't tested WW myself, testing from MTGS seems to say it's not too bad. Their favour G1, ours G2/G3 since we can board in Infest.

I think it will as its main reason for unplayablility was rune snag+ Vision+ Cryptic, with two of those three spells gone the midrange decks should slowly get some steam.
No mutavaults?!

Seriously the mana base scares the hell out of me. The rest is all good imo.
No mutavaults?!

Seriously the mana base scares the hell out of me. The rest is all good imo.

Why? It makes perfect sense. He's running four Mystic Gate and four Sunken ruins, or eight lands that tap for colourless. Mutavault makes it twelve. That's just dangerous.

Faerie Conclave, whilst it comes into play tapped, taps for blue mana that goes into the Mystic Gates and the Sunken Ruins.

Running eight filter lands pretty much means no mutavault. If you get Faerie Conclave and a Sunken Ruins in hand, with Bitterblossom and Spellstutter Sprite, you can keep it. If that conclave was a Mutavault, you would mulligan. Same reason why you can't replace the Reflecting Pools with Mutavault.
Moving this thread into the DtB...

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Also:

Please add the decks that have recently made the top 16 at SCG's Win-a-Cruise that pertain to your thread
2:25 PM sneakattackkid: my basics are worth more... 5:21 PM Nighthavk_: I was splitting more 8-4s than a hooker splits her legs. 11:42 PM Nighthavk_: because honestly, your opponent may be caw, but he'll probably be a drooling idiot who just found out porn exists.
Zammm: Thank you!

Atma: I plan to either tonight or tomorrow.
Okay. I added the SCG Cruise Qualifier deck to the OP as well as Glen Elendra Archmage and Hinder Light as SB choices.

Yay on DtB Status! :D
The guy that played this at the Cruise Qualifier beat Pro Chris Woltereck in the finals, all the while making terrible play mistakes like mainphasing a Mistbind Clique only to get Wrathed the next turn.
The guy that played this at the Cruise Qualifier beat Pro Chris Woltereck in the finals, all the while making terrible play mistakes like mainphasing a Mistbind Clique only to get Wrathed the next turn.

Ahaha.. I wish I was there to record that. Epic, epic fail.

wow did he win because the deck is amazing or because he got lucky?
Grats on a dtb thread AGAIN rebel.

Just dropping by to say that I completely underestimated Jace Beleren.

Imagine playing all the spells you want and still having a full hand.

It's kind of like that.
hey, just wondering... isn't this a standard deck??? it appears under legacy dtb for some reason.
I have some problems in understanding the difference between Grixis Fae and Esper Fae. The manabase needed is the same, so why limiting yourself to splashing a single color?
The manabase isn't the same actually. I can easily make 3 color manabases and run a playset of mutavaults. With 4 color, not so easy. (I tried running both splash on a 8 vivid base... not consistant enough for my taste)

That said, that guy that won that cruise tournament is running only 8 white sources so maybe I'm the one thats biaised.

If we can somehow make a 4 color fae working good, then I'd say merge the threads. But as far as UBr and UBw goes, both are day and night differant. The charm change the gameplan that much.

Also, dont forget that vivids can only produce 2 red/white mana per vivids. So unless you wanna start running some pools (and thus have even more troubles fitting the vaults), I don't see myself using stuff like incinerate/puncture blast/runed halo or wrath of god... And I sure like my puncture blast D:

All that said, even in your 4 color list you ran the esper charms in the side-board only. When I'm playing UBR, my T3 goes to ether countering/clearing threats or preparing an alpha stike. No time to waste for CA as I'm not trying to out-control my opponent by having more awnsers than he have threats, I'm just trying to keep tempo until I can go for the kill. In the later turns, if I'm losing, what I want is efficient removal, what grixis is. Exceptions is against QnT or decks that run blossom themselves (thus why we run them side-deck only)

One deck is much more tempo orianted and the other is control orianted. Thats why I think 2 threads are neccessary.
Well, I for one think it can be done with fair consistancy.

At the moment, I play this list:

// Lands
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [LRW] Secluded Glen
4 [10E] Underground River
4 [MOR] Mutavault
4 [LRW] Vivid Creek
3 [LRW] Vivid Marsh
2 [UNH] Island

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Spellstutter Sprite
4 [LRW] Scion of Oona
2 [MOR] Vendilion Clique
4 [LRW] Mistbind Clique

// Spells
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom
3 [ALA] Agony Warp
3 [ALA] Grixis Charm
3 [ALA] Esper Charm
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [LRW] Broken Ambitions

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [LRW] Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
SB: 4 [10E] Flashfreeze
SB: 3 [SHM] Firespout

EDIT: though I must say that E-Fae looks just better, if I have to chose. Condemn > G-Charm, honestly.
You will be able to play the charms/sideboard stuff 3 time out of 4 (rounded up a little) on turn 4. Not couting muligans, mana screw or mutavault screw and basing my calculation on running 8 vivids, not only 7 like you do.

I dunno about you, but I like being able to rely on my firespouts on turn 3 when I side them in... And you are kinda vulnerable to fulminator mage with that list.

I'm not saying its bad, cause it definitivly isn't. But I really doubt that those 3 esper charms and 4 burrentons are worth such a heavy drop in consistancy.

The way I see it :
- UBR > UBrw, if only for consistancy
UBR ? UBW, only time will tell. But both are really differant in their nature aniway and deserve a thread each.

Edit : If the top 16 of the starcity tournement is representive of the meta, I have to agree that esper fae looks like the way to go. If only because of the QnT flood there was.
Edit : If the top 16 of the starcity tournement is representive of the meta, I have to agree that esper fae looks like the way to go. If only because of the QnT flood there was.

Actually I tend to consider the SCG tourneys rather unrelevant to determine how Standard is going to look like.

I'm saying that (assuming a quadricolor manabase is non-manageable) Esper Fae is better out of my personal istinct telling me so.

I'm also wondering if Runed Halo would be workable with a UBW manabase instead than Forge-Tender...
Has anyone tried Mirrorweave yet?

Imagine this ------>

With a scion and what ever creatures out you control, your opponent attacks, you play Cryptic Command, tapping all creatures. Next turn you play Mirrorweave naming the Scion or any other fatter creature and swing for the win.
Sign In to post comments