***** ZOMBIE PANDA *****

585 posts / 0 new
Last post

Zombie Panda

IMAGE(http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku/WB.gif)

IMAGE(http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/Blackjack68/zombiepanda.jpg)

Soldier: "Sir, the front line is giving way, we have to have reinforcements now."
Kithkin Commander: "That can't be, we outnumber them three to one. You should have killed them off hours ago."
Soldier: "Sir, we did...... but they just keep coming back!"

What is Zombie Panda?
Zombie Panda takes one of Magic's oldest and most flavorful black tribes, ZOMBIES, and infuses white mana to enable the use of some very powerful synergies found in the Shards of Alara cards. At the heart of the deck are Stillmoon Cavalier, Death Baron, and Lord of the Undead, along with a very powerful and versatile removal suite.

Why should I play Zombie Panda?
1) Because Zombies are the coolest tribe in the history of the game.
2) Beacuse White/Black is the coolest color pairing in the game.
3) Because it's incredibly fun, versatile and different.
4) Because it wins.

Different Types of Zombie Panda? All Are Welcome!
Show

1) Aggro/Disruption:
Focuses on a more aggressive strategy and hand disruption with cards like Thoughtseize
and Tidehollow Sculler.
2) Deathbringer:
Uses [c]Deathbringer Liege[c] and his synergy with Stillmoon Cavalier and Tidehollow Sculler to overpower your opponent. Lord of the Undead and lots of creature removal are required.
3) Bleeding Disruption:
Black/White/Red build focusing on hand disruption/discard adding Rotting Rats, Blightning and Raven's Crime, and Unearth creatures like Shambling Remains and Grixis Slavedriver.
4) Grave Pact Control:
Focuses on just surviving until mid/late game when we really turn up the heat with card advantage, and recurring
creatures and removal to dominate. Grave Pact and Nantuko Husk are key here. Drop the Unearth creatures as they don't go to the graveyard after being unearthed. Lord of the Undead is required for recursion.
5) Mono Black:
Some players like to keep their zombies all black. It hurts your removal suite, but it can
flat out win games with Corrupt. Our main "panda" card, Stillmoon Cavalier, can still
be run in a mono black deck, so I'll include it here.
6) Green Splash:
Uses the fattest zombie of all Chameleon Colossus to stomp your opponent flat. So far I haven't had a report of a successful green splash deck yet. It doesn't seem to be worth it.
7) Blue Splash:
Still working on this one, and it looks to have some potential. Some report success using Vedalken Mastermind as it has a lot of useful targets in our deck and Mulldrifter for card draw.
8) Zombie Hammer:
Uses Loxodon Warhammer and all of our "uncounterables" like Unearth Zombies and Mutavault to smash face. Put a hammer on a vault, add Death Baron and Elspeth, Knight-Errant for a 9/6 Flying, Trample, Lifelink, Deathtouch piece of Real Estate!!!!

Cool Card Interactions/Synergies/Combos/Tips/Tricks
Show

1) Lord of the Undead not only pumps all zombies, and can bring them back from the graveyard, he can also bring back Viscera Dragger after cycling him for recurring card draw, and can bring back Nameless Inversion to be used twice in the same turn to give an opponents creature +6/-6.
2) Death Baron gives all your zombies +1/+1 and Deathtouch. Stillmoon Cavalier with deaththouch is just sick, as you can give him first strike and flying to take out just about any creature.
3) Turn 1 Thoughtseize followed by Turn 2 Tidehollow Sculler can effectively neuter most opponents and set up a truly nasty beatdown.
4) Grave Pact with Nantuko Husk is deadly. Sac a creature to the husk to force your opponent to sac one of theirs gets around most any removal evasion. Recur your sac fodder with Lord of the Undead[c] or [c]Revive the Fallen or Profane Command to clear their board completely.
5) I've used Revive the Fallen as many as 3 times in a single turn to completely renew my hand. Play it, clash, and if you have a high cc clash card, leave it on top and repeat.
6) Sac everybody to pump your Nantuko Husk, and then give him fear with Profane Command for the finishing blow, or hit him with Rite of Consumption for the win.
7) The zombies with "unearth" can be particularly troublesome for opponents who neglect to leave a blocker back, and against blue decks, as unearth cannot be countered.
8) Tidehollow Sculler can be removed or sacrificed after his first trigger to permanently remove a card from your opponents hand. You can then recur him and repeat.
9) Vedalken Mastermind can be used to return [c]Tidehollow Sculler[c] to permanently remove a card, makes [c]Oblivion Ring[c] into a kind of [c]Vindicate[c], enables [c]Reveillark[c] to recur creatures over and over again.
more to come.

There are a ton of different possible builds, combinations, synergies. I'm sure we'll find new and interesting ways to abuse "unearth" and some of the other features.
Please come back here frequently and share your related play experiences so that we can continually improve the deck to make it more effective and fun. And others will learn to FEAR THE ZOMBIE PANDA!
:P

Card Choices:

Lands:
Show

Fetid Heath - An automatic 4 of
Caves of Koilos - For a little more mana smoothing
Mutavault - Can be a killer in this deck
Spawning Pool - Budget version of mutavault. Cipt sucks.
Leechridden Swamp - Not great, but you can try one or two. Cipt sucks.
Sunken Ruins - Needed if you splash blue.
Twilight Mire - Needed if you splash green.

Creatures:
Show

One-Drops:
Show

<strong>Festering Goblin</strong> - The zombie one-drop.
<strong> Burrenton Forge-Tender - A must include sideboard for matches vs. red decks. Can wreck them.

Two-Drops:
Show

<strong>Tidehollow Sculler</strong> - Removes a card from your opponents hand. Great choice for any
build.
<strong>Rotting Rats</strong> - Good in a discard/disruption build.
<strong>Viscera Dragger</strong> - Not really a 2-drop, but both his cycling and unearth abilities are. Can be
recurring card draw with Lord of the Undead.
<strong>Dregscape Zombie</strong> - Not bad with unearth, but there are better choices.
<strong>Vedalken Mastermind</strong> - Not a zombie, but EXTREMELY useful in a BWU build.

Three-Drops:
Show

<strong>Death Baron</strong> - He can make the deck very deadly.
<strong>Stillmoon Cavalier</strong> - Pumpable, Flying, First Strike, Pro Black and White! Deathtouch on a
first striker is just SICK!
<strong>Lord of the Undead</strong> - Recurs all zombies including some of our removal. Awesome card and a
staple in the deck.
<strong>Nantuko Husk</strong> - Very powerful, especially if your running <strong>Grave Pact</strong> in your build.
<strong>Fleshbag Marauder</strong> - Can be a removal powerhouse, netting you 2 for 1 in with Grave Pact.

Four-Drops:
Show

<strong>Chameleon Colossus</strong> - If you're splashing green, this is why. He's beastly!
<strong>Viscera Dragger</strong> - Excellent card with cycling and unearth.
<strong>Dross Crocodile</strong> - Not very good.
<strong>Graveborn Muse</strong> - Queen of the card draw. Be careful, she can hurt you.
<strong>Gravedigger</strong> - Not very efficient, but can be used to good effect.
<strong>Shambling Remains</strong> - Good beater in a red splash deck.

Five cost and higher:
Show

<strong>Grixis Slavedriver - Fat zombie with a great ability.
<strong>Deathbringer Liege - Says "deal with me or die". Can be a real powerhouse.
<strong>Mulldrifter - Great card draw if you're splashing blue.
<strong>Creakwood Ghoul</strong> - Graveyard hate and lifegain, but inefficient and not recommended.
<strong>Phage the Untouchable</strong> - High cost and dangerous, but can be fun.
<strong>Corpse Connoisseur</strong> - Haven't found a good use for him yet.
<strong>Reveillark</strong> - Fantastic re-animator, can be a real threat in any build.
<strong>Cairn Wanderer</strong> - We don't really have anything going to the graveyard for him to use, but at worst he's a 4/4 zombie, so we can pump and recur him. Probably won't see play, but you never know.
<strong>Dreg Reaver</strong> - Same cost as Cairn Wanderer and not nearly as good, ignore this card.

Removal:
Show

<strong>Path to Exile</strong> - Just buy a set already. Great instant speed removal.
<strong>Grave Pact</strong> - Can be AMAZING in the right deck. One of my favorite cards ever. Works
especially well with Nantuko Husk, and Lord of the Undead to recur sac fodder.
<strong>Nameless Inversion</strong> - Once was a staple, now kinda "iffy". Recurs with Lord of the Undead.
<strong>Unmake</strong> - Very powerful, but has lost some favor with the release of Conflux.
<strong>Infest</strong> - Especially good against those nasty little kithkin.
<strong>Crib Swap</strong> - Recurs with LotU, but also gives your opponent a 2/2. Not recommended.
<strong>Dark Temper</strong> - Solid removal in a red splash.
<strong>Bone Splinters</strong> - Can be very effective.
<strong>Oblivion Ring</strong> - The most versatile removal in the game.
<strong>Wrath of God</strong> - Can be great in a control oriented build helping you survive a fast aggro assault.
<strong>Terror</strong> - Has lost much of it's power lately
<strong>Deathmark</strong> - Good in the sideboard
<strong>Condemn - Very good creature removal, highly recommended. Can hit your own Reveillark to recur a couple zombies and gain you life.

Some ideas for sideboarding:
Show

<strong>Celestial Purge</strong> (Ajani V, Sarkhan V, Bitterblossom and anything with black or red)
<strong>Mark of Asylum</strong> (Shuts down red decks removal)
<strong>Fulminator Mage</strong> (5cc-C, every deck playing 3+ colors)
<strong>Memory Plunder</strong> (5cc-C)
<strong>Burrenton Forge-Tender</strong> (Demi-Red, Firespout)
<strong>Paladin en-Vec</strong> (red or black aggro, underrated imo, if you play Elspeth and Warhammer)
<strong>Wispmare</strong> (Bitterblossom, ORing)
<strong>Deathmark</strong> (almosted every multicolored creature)
<strong>Kitchen Finks</strong> (Demi-Red, aggro)
<strong>Runed Halo</strong> (Demi-Red, random not expected stuff)
<strong>Pithing Needle</strong> (planeswalkers, random not expected stuff)
<strong>Relic of Progenitus</strong> (Reveillark, Mannequin)
<strong>Faerie Macabre</strong> (Reveillark, Mannequin)
<strong>Terror</strong> (Kills a lot of fatties, including stopping Mistbind Clique from timewalking you)
Infest</strong> (Can sweep a whole lot of elves or kithkin)
<strong>Batwing Brume</strong> - Can be a lifesaver at times
<strong>Story Circle</strong> - Possibly the most annoying card in standard.

Other Possible Spells:
Show

<strong>Profane Command</strong> - Awesome card in any build, I personally think it's an auto 4 of.
<strong>Thoughtseize</strong> - Great in the aggro/disruption build
<strong>Ajani Goldmane - His second ability (counters and vigilance) is SICK. He can find a space in your build.
<strong>Elspeth, Knight-Errant - His +3/+3 and flying on unearthed zombies can be devastating.
<strong>Distress</strong> - Budget version of Thoughtseize
<strong>Revive the Fallen</strong> - Additional creature recurral. Can be fantastic.
<strong>Rite of Consumption</strong> - Can be a real killer with Nantuko Husk or Chameleon Colossus
<strong>Loxodon Warhammer</strong> - Like it or not, the "noobstick" can win games.
<strong>Corrupt</strong> - Amazing in a mono black build
<strong>Ad Nauseum</strong> - Been testing ok in a control build.
<strong>Lapse of Certainty</strong> - Fun counterspell. Probably best kept to the sideboard.

Decklists:
Show

Avi-Stetto's Disruption Build
Blackjack's Deathbringer build

phcarson's "Fast Zombies"
Show

A very Aggro/Disruption build that shows a LOT of promise. If you can't swing the cash for the Mutavaults, Spawning Pool makes an effective budget replacement.

Land (23)
10 x Swamp
2 x Plains
4 x Caves of Koilos
4 x Fetid Heath
3 x Mutavault

Creatures (23)
4 x Festering Goblin
3 x Dregscape Zombie
4 x Tidehollow Sculler
4 x Death Baron
4 x Lord of the Undead
4 x Stillmoon Cavalier

Spells (14)
3 x Thoughtseize
3 x Condemn
4 x Nameless Inversion
4 x Raven's Crime

Grave Pact Control
Show

My favorite build for just having fun, but it's still very effective. Grave Pact +
Nantuko Husk + Recurring Creatures is SICK!
// Lands
11 Swamp
4 Fetid Heath
2 Caves of Koilos
7 Plains

// Creatures
4 Lord of the Undead
4 Nantuko Husk
4 Stillmoon Cavalier
4 Festering Goblin
3 Death Baron
2 Tidehollow Sculler

// Spells
4 Nameless Inversion
3 Grave Pact
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Revive the Fallen
2 Profane Command

Bleeding Zombie
Show

Still working out the details with red, but it's looking nice.
// Lands
11 Swamp
4 Graven Cairns
2 Sulfurous Springs
7 Mountain

// Creatures
4 Lord of the Undead
4 Shambling Remains
2 Stillmoon Cavalier
4 Festering Goblin
3 Death Baron
4 Rotting Rats

// Spells
4 Thoughtseize
4 Dark Temper
4 Blightning
3 Profane Command

Zombie Hammer Variant
Show

I'm really liking this variant so far. Get the hammer equipped
to Stillmoon against black or white. Sideboard out the Stillmoons
for Burrenton Forge-Tender against red, and get the hammer on him.
The hammer on Unearth creatures and/or Mutavault is death to blue
decks. A singleton Elspeth is a big surprise with this. Activate
Mutavault, attach warhammer, pump with Elspeth, swing for 8 lifelink,
flying and trample that blue cannot counter.

// Lands
10 Swamp
4 Fetid Heath
3 Caves of Koilos
4 Plains
3 Mutavault

// Creatures
4 Lord of the Undead
4 Stillmoon Cavalier
2 Death Baron
4 Tidehollow Sculler
2 Dregscape Zombie
4 Festering Goblin
2 Viscera Dragger

// Spells
4 Nameless Inversion
2 Profane Command
1 Elspeth Knight-Errant
3 Loxodon Warhammer
4 Condemn

// Sideboard
4 Burrenton Forge-Tender
3 Infest
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Wispmare

Sample Mono Black Version
Show

Don't have dual lands? No Worries, we still have an effective
and fun build for you. Corrupt is a BOMB!

// Lands
22 Swamp
2 Leechridden Swamp

// Creatures
4 Lord of the Undead
4 Festering Goblin
4 Nantuko Husk
4 Stillmoon Cavalier
1 Graveborn Muse
2 Fleshbag Marauder
4 Dregscape Zombie

// Spells
4 Nameless Inversion
2 Corrupt
3 Grave Pact
2 Profane Command
2 Revive the Fallen

Matchups/Strategy:
Show

Vs. Black/White Lifegain:
Show

This isn't a tough matchup if you're prepared. If they run Stillmoon Cavalier, he can be a bit of a problem, so take him out of their hand with Thoughtseize or Tidehollow Sculler, if you're running control, you can usually get rid of him later with Grave Pact.
If they get Nip Gwyllion on turn one, and 1 or 2 Edge of the Divinity on turn two, you will almost always lose! I've got 3 of these decks to deal with where I play FNM, so I've started running the most unlikely of sideboard cards.... Scar! You absolutely must have instant 1cc removal in your hand against these decks. Midnight Charm used to do the trick, but since it's rotated, the only thing I've found is scar. Wait for them to play the aura on Nip, then while the aura is on the stack, respond with the scar, getting you a 2 for 1.
If they're playing an Evershrike version of this deck, don't send him to the graveyard, remove him from the game completely with Unmake or Oblivion Ring, or he'll come back to haunt you.Condemn works well also.
And remember..... Always Block The MIMIC!

Vs. Blue/Black Faeries:
Show

We have a pretty good matchup against fae. The Hammer/Elspeth builds shine against blue decks as they can't counter unearthed creatures or Mutavaults activation/ equp the hammer.
If you're running aggro, obviously remove their Cryptic Commands and Mistbind Cliques. Scion of Oona is also a good target as it pumps other fae and give them shroud.Terror makes a good sideboard here and makes short work of the Clique and Scion of Oona.
Remember to keep mana open for instant removal once your in Mistbind Clique territory (turn 4 and later), as having her "timewalk" you can be devastating. Allow her to resolve and her champion ability to go on the stack, then remove her, or even better, if you're opponent only has one other faerie in play for her to champion, remove that faerie and they'll both die. Just don't forget that Bitterblossom also counts as a faerie that she can champion.

Vs. Red Deck Wins:
Show

RDW can spell trouble for our beloved non-stationary cadavers, but if you're prepared, you'll be fine. The Warhammer versions work especially well against red. Sideboard out the Stillmoons and side-in the Burrenton Forge-Tenders. Some prefer Story Circle, but Forge Tender is pretty effective, especially if she's got a hammer!

Thanks to The_Puppetmaster for the awesome banner!
Thanks to Hodoku for the dividers!
Thanks to Avi-Stetto and all the Zombie lovers for all their help!
Reserved.
Why shouldn't I play Zombie Panda is nothing more than a fallacy taking away from your post. That spikes play to win is nothing to attack. Simply put, a spike's enjoyment of the game comes from a deeper understanding of the format, metagame, and interactions. It happens to also correlate with deck choice because deck choice is part of the deep understanding of the metagame. To go into an Angelfire-dominated meta with Gruul Beats (Rav-TSP standard) would be a stupid choice, just as playing a "cool" deck that probably won't win anything is a stupid choice. If you find it fun, more power to you. Have fun. It just so happens that our fun comes differently than yours.

Spikes play to win.
I like it. I'm certain that T1 Thoughtseize, T2 Tidehollow Sculler is going to be a killer in the new meta.

Sometimes I've been known to randomly do stuff like this:

IMAGE(http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/3/9/29/f_zombiebannem_757efe0.jpg)
Forests, it was meant jokingly, I guess that didn't come out right. But that's ok, I'll remove it, I wouldn't want to offend any over-sensitive people.

I like the banner Puppetmaster..... If it's ok with you, I'll link to it, or if you want me to host the pic elswhere, let me know and I'll move it.
Well, it was meant jokingly, I guess that didn't come out right. But that's ok, I'll remove it, I wouldn't want to offend any over-sensitive people.

I honestly don't care. I play a lot of stuff non-competitively and just wanted to point that part out... and to plug the most relevant non-magic article these boards need to read.
I like the banner Puppetmaster..... If it's ok with you, I'll link to it, or if you want me to host the pic elswhere, let me know and I'll move it.

Whichever you feel comfortable with. I hosted it randomly. :D It'd probably be safer if you had a dedicated spot for it; no sense in it disappearing on us a week or so from now.

I honestly don't care. I play a lot of stuff non-competitively and just wanted to point that part out... and to plug the most relevant non-magic article these boards need to read.

Required reading for everyone, not just these boards. Great link, everyone should read.
I know there are going to be more zombie options in the upcoming sets, and I hope this thread will be a good, ongoing gathering place to share ideas for all the zombie deck fans. It may or may not ever be tier one, but it's already very competitive at the fnm level, and it's lots of fun. I will personally be testing different builds at every friday night magic for many months to come. I'm going to devote myself entirely to improving upon zombies because I love playing them so much.
Updated
Wow.... I figured there would be more people into zombies.
Couple things:

Using nameless inversion twice doesn't give an opponent's dude -6/-6.

This deck actually looks pretty fun.

A disruption version seems far and away the best choice.

Why bother listing dross crocodile? The dude sucks!
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents
Glux:
1)Thanks for pointing out the error on Nameless, I'll change it right now.

2)It IS pretty fun. I've been testing a proxied version.

3)Most seem to agree w/ the aggro/disruption being the best build. The control is incredibly fun to play though, and so far, pretty effective.

4)Dross - Yeah, I've never actually used him, but I thought listing the option wouldn't hurt. With the Baron out, he's a 6/2 deathtouch for 4cc.
a 6/2 deathtouch for four that gets killed by any 2/x, moreso by a 2/x first striker (prevalent in WW)

Anyways, I might throw together a build and test a few games to see how it runs.
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents
Is there any CHEAPER card than thoughtseize for a turn one disruption play?
Is there any CHEAPER card than thoughtseize for a turn one disruption play?

Not targetted disruption (that I'm aware of). Raven's Crime gets you a card of their choice and then you can retrace it later. Distress is turn 2.
I love this deck idea. It looks really fun, and really competitive.
Have you tried Order of Whiteclay in this deck? It seems to fit the theme, and will help get back any Lords who die to removal.
I like this deck theme. I will try to build my own once i get a hold of some alara cards and post it.

Thumbs up!
Have you tried Order of Whiteclay in this deck? It seems to fit the theme, and will help get back any Lords who die to removal.

I like his ability, but our 3-drop slot is way overcrowded already, in fact, it's probably our biggest drawback. By all means keep the ideas coming, I'm determined to make this deck type the best it can be.

I'm going to test out a heavy control version this Friday just for the fun of it.......and because I don't have all my Alara cards yet
what about using cards like Infest and/or Syphon Life. Infest as a sideboard card incase of any heavy creature match ups and syphon life to possibly get further ahead against those RDW match ups.
I like this deck theme. I will try to build my own once i get a hold of some alara cards and post it.

Thumbs up!

Glad your joining us, and looking forward to a decklist/report.
what about using cards like Infest and/or Syphon Life. Infest as a sideboard card incase of any heavy creature match ups and syphon life to possibly get further ahead against those RDW match ups.

I've already got Infest in the list, I agree it will help out considerably with those nasty little kithkin and elves. We'll have to do some testing with Syphon Life.
Oh just thought of something I didnt see in the OP Drudge Skeletons. That is just complete tech with the Death Baron out. Your main chump blocker with deathtouch and regenerate just pure awesomeness.
The problem with the skeletons is that they can't be pumped or recurred with Lord of the Undead, where our other 2-drops can, and that's one of the main things that make the deck so efficient.
The problem with the skeletons is that they can't be pumped or recurred with Lord of the Undead, where our other 2-drops can, and that's one of the main things that make the deck so efficient.

Have you tried Skeletal Changeling? That gets twice the benefits from Death Baron and recurs with Lord of the Undead.
i don't believe it gets twice the benefits due to it being in the same sentence.

"Skeleton creatures you control and other Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1 and have deathtouch."

double the fun would be something like

"Skeleton creatures you control. get +1/+1 and get deathtouch.
Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1 and have deathtouch."

That's why all the bannerett creatures don't cause changlings to cost 2 less. it'd still be sweet if i were wrong though. :D
No, changelings don't get double the bonus. Wizards specifically addressed that in the Alara FAQ. Too bad though.
FNM Report:

I haven't recieved nearly any of my shards cards yet (they're pre-ordered), but I put together a pretty heavy control Zombie Panda.pile just to see how some of the cards ran. My final deck was 62 cards (I know that's bad, but I was just testing stuff).

It was:
Festering Goblin
Stillmoon Cavalier
Nantuko Husk
Lord of the Undead

Profane Command (2 of)
Ad Nauseum (2 of)
Nameless Inversion
Oblivion Ring
Unmake
Grave Pact (3 of)
Revive the Fallen (3 of)
Rite of Consumption (2 of)

Matchups:
2-0 vs. Some weird Esper deck
2-0 vs. Kithkin
1-2 vs. U/B Fae
2-0 vs. B/W lifelink

Notes:
Lord of the Undead + Nameless Inversion was great
Ad Nauseum was great - I only got to use it twice, both times drawing several cards until I had lost 8 life (from 20 both times), and I was very glad to have had the draws. I won both those games.
Revive the Fallen was great for getting my lords back.
Rite of Consumption on a pumped Husk won me a game and another time on a pumped Stillmoon won me game.
Profane Command is amazing, and so is Grave Pact!

Next Friday begins the Full Panda fnm testing!
No, changelings don't get double the bonus. Wizards specifically addressed that in the Alara FAQ. Too bad though.

That is too bad... Well, at least he's a 1/1 zombie regenerator that gets bonus from Lord of the Undead and Death Baron.
I really like this deck name :D , I'm really jealous at black for getting another zombie lord right now...

Well ever thought about using Ghostly Changeling or [c]Moonglove Changeling? Ghostly Changeling when you need to swing for alpha strike (although Stillmoon does this job pretty well already), and Moonglove Changeling when you need the extra big creature threaten effect.

Also doesn't Cairn Wanderer deserve a slight mention?
Moonglove Changeling - All our zombies get free deathtouch with Death Baron.

Ghostly Changeling - Stillmoon is a much more efficient/dangerous pumper for the same casting cost.

Cairn Wanderer - I'll add him to the list. Somebody might be able to do something cool with him in the vein of a Pan's Labrynth type build, although I'm not sure what at the moment. At worst he's a 4/4 zombie, so that's not bad.

** Quick Note: I've been playtesting today with Ad Nauseum in my control build, and it's performed very well. It goes especially well with Profane Command in the deck as Profane gets more powerful with more mana available, and Ad Nauseum usually gets you an extra land or two at least.
OK here's my first attempt. Mind you, I have NO Alara cards yet and only a few Eventide cards (lack of money = lack of cards )

1 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Swamp" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Swamp">Swamp</a>
9 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Plains" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Plains">Plains</a>
1 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Caves+of+Koilos" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Caves+of+Koilos">Caves of Koilos</a>

4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Festering+Goblin" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Festering+Goblin">Festering Goblin</a>
2 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Spineless+Thug" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Spineless+Thug">Spineless Thug</a> --To be replaced with 2x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Tidehollow+Sculler" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Tidehollow+Sculler">Tidehollow Sculler</a>
3 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Lord+of+the+Undead" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Lord+of+the+Undead">Lord of the Undead</a>
1 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Order+of+Whiteclay" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Order+of+Whiteclay">Order of Whiteclay</a> --To be replaced with 1x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Lord+of+the+Undead" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Lord+of+the+Undead">Lord of the Undead</a>
2 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Dross+Crocodile" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Dross+Crocodile">Dross Crocodile</a> --To be replaced with 2x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Stillmoon+Cavalier" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Stillmoon+Cavalier">Stillmoon Cavalier</a>
3 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Grave+Digger" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Grave+Digger">Grave Digger</a> -- To be replaced with 3x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Death+Baron" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Death+Baron">Death Baron</a>

4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Holy+Day" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Holy+Day">Holy Day</a>
4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Nameless+Inversion" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Nameless+Inversion">Nameless Inversion</a>
4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Distress" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Distress">Distress</a>
4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Oblivion+Ring" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Oblivion+Ring">Oblivion Ring</a>
4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Scarscale+Ritual" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Scarscale+Ritual">Scarscale Ritual</a> --To be replaced with 4x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Viscera+Dragger" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Viscera+Dragger">Viscera Dragger</a>, though I do like using it to pop <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Festering+Goblin" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Festering+Goblin">Festering Goblin</a>.
2 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Aura+of+Silence" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Aura+of+Silence">Aura of Silence</a>
3 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Unmake" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Unmake">Unmake</a>

It still needs a bit of work. any suggestions?
This deck archetype is surprisingly competitive.

The Lord of the Undead + Inversions/Crib Swaps combo is really cute.

4xTidehollow+4xThoughtseize is just as back-breaking here as it is in Islands' Nip Gwyllion list.

Deathtouch+Cavalier is very cute also.
Cairn Wanderer - I'll add him to the list. Somebody might be able to do something cool with him in the vein of a Pan's Labrynth type build, although I'm not sure what at the moment. At worst he's a 4/4 zombie, so that's not bad.

Cairn for this deck is more of a sideboard option, particularly with the likes of Faerie/Kithkin. The only benefit he can possibly get is Deathtouch (when Baron is out) and Pro-White/Black. If you do run him, atleast leave 2 of him at sideboard.

I actually have 4 Stillmoon Cavaliers, and the other lords are dirt cheap to get so I think I'm gonna give this deck a go for some serious Standard play someday.
OK here's my first attempt. Mind you, I have NO Alara cards yet and only a few Eventide cards (lack of money = lack of cards )

1 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Swamp" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Swamp">Swamp</a>
9 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Plains" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Plains">Plains</a>
1 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Caves+of+Koilos" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Caves+of+Koilos">Caves of Koilos</a>

4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Festering+Goblin" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Festering+Goblin">Festering Goblin</a>
2 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Spineless+Thug" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Spineless+Thug">Spineless Thug</a> --To be replaced with 2x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Tidehollow+Sculler" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Tidehollow+Sculler">Tidehollow Sculler</a>
3 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Lord+of+the+Undead" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Lord+of+the+Undead">Lord of the Undead</a>
1 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Order+of+Whiteclay" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Order+of+Whiteclay">Order of Whiteclay</a> --To be replaced with 1x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Lord+of+the+Undead" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Lord+of+the+Undead">Lord of the Undead</a>
2 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Dross+Crocodile" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Dross+Crocodile">Dross Crocodile</a> --To be replaced with 2x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Stillmoon+Cavalier" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Stillmoon+Cavalier">Stillmoon Cavalier</a>
3 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Grave+Digger" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Grave+Digger">Grave Digger</a> -- To be replaced with 3x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Death+Baron" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Death+Baron">Death Baron</a>

4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Holy+Day" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Holy+Day">Holy Day</a>
4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Nameless+Inversion" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Nameless+Inversion">Nameless Inversion</a>
4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Distress" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Distress">Distress</a>
4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Oblivion+Ring" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Oblivion+Ring">Oblivion Ring</a>
4 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Scarscale+Ritual" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Scarscale+Ritual">Scarscale Ritual</a> --To be replaced with 4x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Viscera+Dragger" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Viscera+Dragger">Viscera Dragger</a>, though I do like using it to pop <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Festering+Goblin" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Festering+Goblin">Festering Goblin</a>.
2 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Aura+of+Silence" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Aura+of+Silence">Aura of Silence</a>
3 x <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Unmake" class="autocard-link" data-image-url="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?type=card&amp;name=Unmake">Unmake</a>

It still needs a bit of work. any suggestions?

I think it'll be good once you get your Alara cards, obviously some more dual-lands will help when you can get 'em, but you knew that.

You might take a look at Batwing Brume in place of Holy Day for a little added punishment for their attack, but Holy Day is cheaper to cast so you don't need to leave as much mana open. Either way is probably about equal really.

Not too sure about Aura of Silence maindecked. Do you have just a whole buttload of enchantment problems in your meta? As is, you've got O-rings for enchantment removal. An extra unmake is never unwelcome, or you could try a couple Profane Command, they are fantastic. On the budget side, I've had lots of luck with Revive the Fallen.

I got lucky and pre-ordered my Stillmoons when they were less than 3 bucks.
btw.... I agree with Cairn Wanderer not being a good choice right now, as you said, at best he's a sideboard option right now. He's worth keeping in the back of our minds, though, as we see what the future set releases have to offer us.
Budget ACH!!! ZOMBIES!!!

Contrary to popular belief you CAN run Ravens Crime instead of Thoughtseize for you budget player's It can be recurred late which is REALLY fun! And dual lands really aren't necessary. Mutavault is nice though so if you want to buy expensive lands go with that.

Lands
14 Swamp
10 Plains

// Creatures
4 Lord of the Undead
4 Stillmoon Cavalier
4 Festering Goblin
4 Death Baron
4 Tidehollow Sculler

// Spells
4 Raven's Crime
4 Nameless Inversion
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Unmake
2 Profane Command
I just bought all the cards needed for this archetype and i'll have the results and decklist up soon.

If you are running colossus I recommend that you use Murmuring Bosk. If you run Nameless Inversion (which you should be) you can easily play it untapped as 4 CC and 4 Namless give you 8 "treefolk".

It also allows for Naturalize in the SB - from experience of playing against Esper decks, you'll need it.

BTW - no love for Executioner's Capsule?
BTW - no love for Executioner's Capsule?

I don't see a reason for it when you're running 4 swap and 4 inversion.

Here's my hypothetical decklist I've been fooling around with in the forbidden program:

It seems slow to me but that may just be because I've been testing nothing but speedy aggro/disruption decks lately. Plays a lot like Rock, which is kind of a bad thing when you consider that in Rock you can just ride 1 beefy dude to victory where with this you need a bit more board presence. Time will tell though.
I don't see a reason for it when you're running 4 swap and 4 inversion.

Here's my hypothetical decklist I've been fooling around with in the forbidden program:

It seems slow to me but that may just be because I've been testing nothing but speedy aggro/disruption decks lately. Plays a lot like Rock, which is kind of a bad thing when you consider that in Rock you can just ride 1 beefy dude to victory where with this you need a bit more board presence. Time will tell though.

Drop the Crib Swap. Seriously.

Unmake is much better than the swap. The fact you can re-cur the swap is meaningless when you just give another creature to your opponent to block or attack with.

If you think you are playing against a colossus side in or main deck O-ring.

IMO - Crib Swap should be a SB card in this deck.

-4 Crib Swap
+4 Oblivion Ring
I like Crib Swap, but it already has the nameless for the repeated spot removal.

I think O-Ring is a great choice to help deal with plainswalkers and any problematic enchantments/artifacts that come up.

On a different note, ouch, I didn't realize Stillmoon Cavalier was worth so much.