Decks to Beat FAQ & Maintenance Thread

732 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Standard Decks to Beat FAQ.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is this forum for?
A: This forum is for discussion of the Top Decks in the current Standard format. In response to requests from our posters, we have created this subforum specifically for these decks.

Q: Who can start threads in this forum?
A: In order to keep this forum focused on the top decks in the format, only moderators (WizOs) can post threads here. WizOs will either start threads, or select threads from the Standard Forum that merit moving to the Decks to Beat forum.

Q: Who can post in this forum?
A: Everyone can post, so please do! Often! Don't feel discouraged to join the discussions

Q: How are the Decks to Beat chosen?
A: Decks are added to the forum when they have proven themselves in a tournament environment. We will try to focus threads to decks that perform well in Pro Tours, Grand Prixs, Regional/States, and the Magic Online metagame.

Q: My favorite deck is not here, how do I get it added? It beats every deck out there!
A: If you have a deck you think merits inclusion, then contact a moderator. You should also consider having an active thread in the Standard forum, with some relevant results backing its claim as a Deck to Beat

Q: I have more questions, who do I ask?
A: If you have more questions, just ask a WizO. If it gets asked enough, we will add it to the FAQ ;)
Since users can't start new threads in this forum I am creating this thread so that discussion of what decks should be added/removed from the forum can occur.

Keep in mind that in order for a deck/archetype to be added here it needs to have demonstrated its status with strong performances in relevant tournaments. So, do not just post that you think deck X or Y is a strong deck, provide evidence of its strength.
With all due respect, I don't think that tournament placings are, at this point, the wisest way to go about choosing which decks should be in the "Decks to Beat" forum or not. I say this because Dissension is not released yet, and thus forth decks including cards from it cannot be justified in here yet. Such potentially strong decks such as UW Control or UG Control cannot find a place here yet because they have not have had a chance to place in tournaments, so they will be excluded from here until they do, which may not be until as late as May 20th, and thus forth lose out on constructive input from other players. While I think that you're correct in saying that decks should have to prove their viability before being moved here, I also believe that you should find another way to test them aside from tournament standings.
Citing the recent PTQ decks:Source

B/W control
Ghazi-Chord
G/w Greater Good
Greater Gifts

Boros?
Critical Mass?

As far as dissension enabled decks, regionals is coming up. I suggest rotating the DTB subforum at that time. If an pre-dis archetype is no longer played, remove it. All the new fangled dissension decks can go up at that time.
With all due respect, I don't think that tournament placings are, at this point, the wisest way to go about choosing which decks should be in the "Decks to Beat" forum or not. I say this because Dissension is not released yet, and thus forth decks including cards from it cannot be justified in here yet. Such potentially strong decks such as UW Control or UG Control cannot find a place here yet because they have not have had a chance to place in tournaments, so they will be excluded from here until they do, which may not be until as late as May 20th, and thus forth lose out on constructive input from other players. While I think that you're correct in saying that decks should have to prove their viability before being moved here, I also believe that you should find another way to test them aside from tournament standings.

The problem is...what other method should be used? We could poll users I suppose, but that would require a large time commitment from the WizOs to track and maintain, not to mention that that's not very reliable anyways. While it's true that every four months or so there's going to be sets rotating in and out, which will create problems, there's no way to judge what's in and what's out without some sort of tournament results anyways. You can't claim a "deck to beat" is a deck that no one knows about.
Excellent idea. But i think i'd open it up maybe for Regionals, which is coming soon. and when my chemistry project is due....
EDIT: K_C...sticky this maybe?
The problem is...what other method should be used? We could poll users I suppose, but that would require a large time commitment from the WizOs to track and maintain, not to mention that that's not very reliable anyways. While it's true that every four months or so there's going to be sets rotating in and out, which will create problems, there's no way to judge what's in and what's out without some sort of tournament results anyways. You can't claim a "deck to beat" is a deck that no one knows about.

Good lord, it's Saffire!
Good lord, it's Saffire!

And the lord said, "So let there be Saffire. And there was."

I didn't think Saffire came around these, here, parts of the boards anymore. It's good to see an old member, though. Welcome back man. Hopefully, you still remember me. I was merely a newb when you left the T2 forums. Times have changed, yet I'm still a newb.

Bleh... At least, I have a cool team that's actually "good," unlike me.

~FIRE REIGN 2

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

When your deck gets spanked by your opponent, it sucks.

When your deck gets spanked by the rulebook, it hurts.
Since users can't start new threads in this forum I am creating this thread so that discussion of what decks should be added/removed from the forum can occur.

I'd actually request that threads not be removed, merely locked from further posting. I like browsing through old metagames.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

but that means people can't continue to discuss the decks in the regular forum....
I noticed that the Ghazi-Glare thread is not in this forum yet; it seems like it and Ghazi Chord are extremely similar, and it isn't as if Ghazi-Glare is totally irrelevant either. I think it needs to be included, either via someone making a Ghazi-Chord/Ghazi-Glare thread, or by taking the existing thread, here, and moving it in these forums.
yes, but we need to keep the system intact and threads added and removed only on a tournament succes basis. You could start making exceptions, but then you end up with people complaining about bias and it being unfair when exceptions -aren't- granted to their deck
There are standard tournaments daily on Magic Online, so keep that in mind. Decks performing well there would definitely prove they are a deck to beat.

(albeit Dissension is still a month away on Magic Online)
Maybe taking an average on the success of a deck in paper and digital forms could decide when to remove/add a deck. Owling mine could stay around even though most metas have successfully hated it out as in my area but in unprepared meta's it is still viable.

Deck with overwhelming popularity even with abysmal turnouts could stay as well as unpopular decks with great success rates. Though with rotations and such with majority of the cards being removed decks like greater good would come apart and couldn't be reincarnated because of key cards being removed.
MODO= Aggro Jitte-fest right now.
Real life= No idea.
Forbidden program= everyone is fiddling and testing Dissension decks.
There are standard tournaments daily on Magic Online, so keep that in mind. Decks performing well there would definitely prove they are a deck to beat.

(albeit Dissension is still a month away on Magic Online)

...Sounds Ok...except if players don't have MTGO...(have no money )
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Can we get a Critical Mass Thread going in here? I'm pretty sure it's proven itself, and I KNOW it will be a force after dissension. Once I have little more time I'd even make it for you guys.
here are a few decks to think about adding to this subform once they have developed out of Guildpact

Hellbent deck
UW(x) control
UW skys (maybe)
As of the linked-to article where Mike Flores posted a bunch of results, Ghazi-Chord had 2 1st places and 3 top 4s. That's pretty solid. Better consistency than a lot of the posted decks and more 1st places than even some of the archetypes that have topics here. And a bunch of people still play Ghazi/Glare related decks, it's still very prominent. Yes the environment is different from the one around Worlds last year, but it was a great deck then and it's definitely evolved with the metagame.

Just my $.02
At this point, I will wait for the dust to settle from Regionals before making major changes to the Decks to Beat.

Please do start making your case for and against decks once the results start coming in. ;)
I think there needs to be some Simic Aggro-Control action.

Mainly for the decks involving:

Vinelasher Kudzu
Plaxcaster Frogling
Cytoplast Root-Kin

and some counter spells.

General builds to vary of course, but I think those 3 guys are what made such a solid creature base. That and maybe a 6/5 Kodama that could walk through elephants.
I think we need to have a critical mass thread started
I think we need to have a critical mass thread started

Opinions are important, but in order for a deck to be added to the Decks to Beat forum we need results. Please provide evidence of a deck's success when you endorse it.
www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/dai...

Decks to add:

Sea Stompy [No thread yet]
Critical Mass
W/U/g Control
B/W Control

Maybe add:

B/W Rats -> How the hell did this happen?
Ghazi-Chord
Opinions are important, but in order for a deck to be added to the Decks to Beat forum we need results. Please provide evidence of a deck's success when you endorse it.

I qualified for Nationals with U/G, its not really critical mass, its a graft varient. But it functions in the meta like mass did in block, and thats where i have my list posted. I don't know why, but my regionals results STILL aren't up, it was the heartland regionals held in Indianapolis. But then again, maybe not having it in the decks to beat means that less people will be prepared for how strong u/g is....
U/G, W/U Skies, and that G/W/u neo-Glare (which i still refuse to call a Dovescape deck) all did pretty well at Regionals, all claiming at least a Top 2 or better.
i was the most surprised by the Skies deck, which i had built almost card-for-card right after Dissension pre-release. i played it a few times, then broke it down because i couldn't beat faster aggro. somebody made it work, though.
U/G is looking pretty strong, but there are so many different builds (Grafty, Critical Mass-style, control, etc....) that it seems it might be difficult to make a "Decks to Beat" thread around it. Lots of Simic in the Top 8's, nonetheless.
lastly, i am really surprised there isn't already a Glare thread. up until recently, it seems like most people just dismissed the deck as a has-been, but it is still very good. i like the new take on it, cuz i always thought a blue splash would be very good in the deck. [CARD]Supply // Demand[/CARD] rules! just please don't call it a [CARD]Dovescape[/CARD] deck!!!
U/G, W/U Skies, and that G/W/u neo-Glare (which i still refuse to call a Dovescape deck) all did pretty well at Regionals, all claiming at least a Top 2 or better.
i was the most surprised by the Skies deck, which i had built almost card-for-card right after Dissension pre-release. i played it a few times, then broke it down because i couldn't beat faster aggro. somebody made it work, though.
U/G is looking pretty strong, but there are so many different builds (Grafty, Critical Mass-style, control, etc....) that it seems it might be difficult to make a "Decks to Beat" thread around it. Lots of Simic in the Top 8's, nonetheless.
lastly, i am really surprised there isn't already a Glare thread. up until recently, it seems like most people just dismissed the deck as a has-been, but it is still very good. i like the new take on it, cuz i always thought a blue splash would be very good in the deck. [CARD]Supply // Demand[/CARD] rules! just please don't call it a [CARD]Dovescape[/CARD] deck!!!

Why not just have a simic thread?
Why not just have a simic thread?

for the same reason there isn't an Orzhov thread. there are too many different deck archetypes within the same color combinations (Ghost Husk, Ghost Dad, Hand in Hand, W/B control) to lump them all together.
i am 100% in favor of putting a Critical Mass thread in decks to beat there was much sucess with those deck at regionals and a version won in NJ it can splash the other three colors(one at a time) and be sucessful it is also very versatile because aggro, control, and aggro-control are all good
The Critical Mass and 'Graft' decks are really the same thing. It's just the natural evolution of the deck to tweak it when a new set comes out. It just so happens that this set happens to have 3-4 cards which all now feature prominently in the deck.

I can do up a new primer for a critical mass thread in a week(after my last exam) if Kwai_Chang wants to link it ;)

I'm with ya, herbalT. However, I can't seem to get Official Archetype status, despite the fact that Glarescape (the very deck of which you speak) meets all the requirements. I'm just saying, it deserves a spot up on the "Decks to Beat" forum, because it is.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
i tink dimir mill should be in here i won 10 table top tournaments wit it
B/W Control could use a thread here. It did well at regionals, better than U/R control which already has a thread here.

i tink dimir mill should be in here i won 10 table top tournaments wit it

i really hope your not serious.. mill loses against both aggro and control and hasnt posted any success in tournements
I'm still at a loss as to why critical mass doesn't have a thread here.
B/U/W control (no thread that I can see yet) seems like it belongs in the list, since it made up 3 of the top 8 decks (including being the first place deck), and 5 of the top standard decks at U.S. nationals, and it did beat a few of the archetypes that have threads here. (mainly URzatron and B/W aggro)
Yeah, Solar Flare or Japanimator or BWU Reanimator or BWU Control... all of this are just names for a big deck which is going really big online and winning tournaments while having some top 8 everytime.
It must have an archtype thread here..
I'm not sure if any of the WizO's even monitor this "Decks To Beat" forum anymore, but there absolutely has to be a thread for the B/U/W control deck as it just proved that it is THE deck to beat. I also think we need to get threads for Glarescape and for Sea Stompy as well.
I'm not sure if any of the WizO's even monitor this "Decks To Beat" forum anymore, but there absolutely has to be a thread for the B/U/W control deck as it just proved that it is THE deck to beat. I also think we need to get threads for Glarescape and for Sea Stompy as well.

the only undefeated deck in the standard portion was BW aggro with maindeck shining shoal and 8.5 tails (non husk) but i guess the guy performed really bad in the limited portion or something

B/U/W deserves a thread here obviously, and I think that nationals proved that old school glare was better than glarescape and that magnivore is a possible canidate to be removed from the decks to beat

Unsure about sea stompy right now.. only 1 good performance..
Going by australia/france/usa/england/italy nationals and jss results (which is how this forum is supposed to be maintained), here are bobothehobo8's official DTB recommendations (TM)

U/r/(g) Tron
U/W/B control (I refuse to call it...the other name...)
B/W Husk, Hand, and Ghost Dad
G/W GhaziGlare
U/G Plax
Heartbeat
U/R Vore
Zoo
U/W Weenie
U/W/g Control

Other decks, that only placed once

4cc (only showed up in England)
Greater Gifts (England)
G/R Heezy (only in Italy)
R/W Boros (Italy (also: popular on MTGO))
B/R/W Aggro (Italy)

Other decks, popular on MTGO but not Nationals

Ninja Stompy
U/G Snakes
I second the call to put Glarescape up here. It's up there. Also, I think the above list should qualify (but methinks not the last two)