[Pre-Archetype] Pan's Labyrinth (Third Thread)

1204 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pan's Labyrinth
past discussions on this deck can be found here.
IMAGE(http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d62/OMFGPIE/WB_Divider.gif)

IMAGE(http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/whitemonk/desktop2_08002f2.png)

IMAGE(http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/LRW/EN/Card140171.jpg)IMAGE(http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/FUT/en-us/Card130346.jpg)IMAGE(http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/FUT/en-us/Card136153.jpg)

big thanks here to TheColdBlackShadow for this deck idea!

This thread covers hybrid Mannequin Cairn decks/Reanimation

Overview

Pan's Labyrinth?
Pan's Labyrinth is a highly disruptive deck that takes the damned if you do, damned if you dont approach to every game. To start each game you want to apply pressure with your aggro creatures. Staying out of burn range with lifegain and resiliant creatures. Late game you want to drop a Cairn wanderer to seal the deal. Often you have several of your creatures dead waiting to be reanimated. Pan's Labyrinth aggro beating face with Cairn as the backup finisher. The synergy is amazing, as is the flavor. The deck doesn't stick with a single list, but options are always available due to the flexibility of the Cairn as is his army.

Why should you play Pan's Labyrinth ??
You should play Pan's Labyrinth because A. It is highly resiliant to most decks with the proper removal and tactics to defeat them. And usually the drawbacks of aggro A.K.A. losing all of your creatures can be countered with cairn wanderer. Not to mention this deck is fast on its own with hasted creatures, smalle weenies that hurt bad and more. This deck is quite fast and has been playtesting positively against the current meta. Match analysis is at the bottom of the page.

Card choices

Lands:

River of Tears

Secluded Glen

Swarmyard gives cairn extra protection. And you can be goofy and use all 3 of its abilities just to be funny.

Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth your street wraiths really love this card, and also mana fixes.

Windbrisk hights this card really is great in an aggro deck. Dont expect too much of it in a haakon build though.

Caves of Koilos one of the best option for mana fixing nowadays... Sniff. But don't worry about the damage, you can easily gain it back.

Snow Basics it's 99.99% better than plain basics. A must if you're using Mouth of Ronom, Sheets and other snowy cards

Scrying Sheets sweet card advantage, but hurts your color curve

Mouth of Ronom hurts your color curve, but provides removal for those hard to kill creatures.

Horizon Canopy almost every build of Pan's Labyrinth should run 4 of these. good for splashing colors and provides card draw. a very utility card.

Creatures:

Cairn Wanderer the deck's centerpiece, A 5CC 4/4 creature is ho-hum, but it can be first/doublestriking, trampling, lifelinking, flying, protected from 95% of what your opponents can throw, scary (fear), basilisk-ish (deathtouch), hasty, long-armed (reach), untargettable, vigilant beater. 4-of!

Deepcavern Imp a great creature to have around, haste, flying do a lot for this deck, and the ability to dump a creature into the GY is amazing. Truly the T3ch card for this deck.

Shriekmaw more of a sb choice, awesome removal that just gets better against non black decks. Plus, makes Cairn scary.

Mirri the Cursed flying and haste and first strike is something thats always good but this card punishes aggro like there is no tomorrow.

Haakon, Stromgald Scourge a definite must if you wish to go control with this deck. If you're gonna use him, Inversions and Swaps all you want. You can also recur Cairn with him in play!

Street Wraith thins out your deck nicely. Swampwalk can help out it mirror matches too.

Oona's Prowler beats and a discard outlet it doesnt get much better than this. Often if you cant, or dont want to cast the suckers just dump them in the GY.

Dunerider outlaw this guy kicks *** against tarmogoyf and garruk and all those overpowered creeps.

Mistmeadow Skulk This creature is good in the early game, late game, and when dead. Lifelink is important lategame for the cairn, plus the ability to outmaneuver 80% of the staple removal is quite a feat for 1 card.

Knight of Meadowgrain ah, the new age white weenie, losing protection for lifelink. Excellent turn2 drop. Giving Cairn first strike and lifelink is even sweeter. Not to mention it can stop a Nova Chaser cold, sans Incandescent Soulstoke.

Goldmeadow Stalwart It really doesn't do anything for Cairn, in fact, Cairn helps it instead (as a pseudo-Kithkin for revealing). But it provides good beatdown early game. Sadly, it'll be a let-down topdecking this lategame...

Skyhunter Skirmisher the only reliable White doublestriker in Standard. 3CC for 1/1 is meh, but giving flying + double strike to Cairn is gravy.

Paladin en-Vec more of a sb choice against gobbo's. It's a plausible weenie, but you can get better ones if you don't care much for the protection

Calciderm a central creature for this deck. A 5/5 shrouded beater is nothing to scoff at, especially with a Standard environment that has tons of direct removal.

Akroma, Angel of Wrath who could forget the Angry Lady? White's uber finisher, gives crazy abilities to Cairn, and a definite target for Mannequins.

Serra Avenger a great card overall. You have enough weenies for turns 1-3, so she can come out post-WoG/Damn. Even after suffering a removal, gives flying and vigilance to

Thoughweft Trio with Skulks and Meadowgrains, this a great follow-up beater. Can boost Cairn too, with vigilance, not so much with first strike.

Looter il-Kor excellent evasive creature. Although it doesn't directly boost Cairn, it does so indirectly, but thinning your deck and a discard outlet. If it weren't only for the color...

Mulldrifter flying? just gravy, since you have other cards for that. Card advantage is always tech. Plus, it's a good candidate for Mannequin. But again, it's blue...

Vedalken Aethermage this thing tutors for cairn and if you want can sometimes bounce their changelings back to their hands.

Shadowmage Infiltrator CA and fear for cairn. great if your running blue!

Bonded Fetch cards and haste for cairn. budget version of finkel

Pincher Beetles 3/1 shroud for 3. not bad. your call.

Birds of Paradise if you're running green, you're running this card. period.

Wren's Run Vanquisher sweet beatings, plus deathtouch. But it's another color altogether. Note that deathtouch won't be of much use to an unblockable Cairn.

Quagnoth this creature is awsome to sb in against control. Whether its the rack or sonic boom this card rocks!

Scryb Ranger THis is pretty decent against control and aggro alike. You probably will not be returning lands anytime soon but it still has protection from Blue.

Uktabi drake Greens source of "burn" and hasty little bugger, nice choice over the imp if your running green.

Akroma, Angel of Fury The other Angry Lady. More of a SB choice, as WAkroma is protected from more direct removal than RAkroma. Still, makes for a great Mannequin.

Spells

Makeshift Mannequin Good with Shriekmaw, Akroma, Cairn, and Calciderm. Wonderful against control decks, so if he gets countered, you can pop him back into play when they tap out.

Nameless Inversion the new Last Gasp. Plus, it's sweet to make Cairn an unblocked 7/1 doublestrike with lifelink.

Cribswap gets rid of pesky Guiles, and Haakon. MD or SB, your call.

Oblivion Ring Anti-planeswalker tech

Wrath of God / Damnation you're playing the best colors of removal! Preferred if you wish to go control. And if you are, throw in Haakon! Austere Command if you're on a budget.

Eyeblight's Ending nice for non elf decks... but you can do better.

Profane Command insane in this deck. Reach and reanimation for your cairn goes a long way. Chose how many you run its personal preference.

Liliana Vess This card should probably only be used in the slower versions of cairn to stand a better chance against control.

Coalition Relic This card should probably only be used in the slower versions of cairn to stand a better chance against control.

Mind Stone card draw and mana accelerator? sure i'll take it!

Thoughtseize great early disruption and also good for dumping opponents tech creatures for cairn to feed off.

-- Artifacts
Cloak and dagger this is amazing in most builds running 8-12 rogues. It provides a boost, shroud, and can equip without payment turning this deck crazy. A Equipped Doyo or Lindsey lohan really makes this deck take off, not to mention an equipped cairn...

Sideboard:

Put in meta calls.

Pull From Eternity the biggest speedbump for this deck is Cribswap and Oblivion ring as you do not get the full benifit of cairn, as well as faerie trickery. This negates that and still gives u a bonus, as well as being very useful against Gargadon decks.

Imp's Mischief good for martyr and burn/removal. Life is not a big issue, since you have lots of lifelinkage.

Burrenton Forge-tender this girl is as ugly as hell but her abilities are fantastic. Lets go over her stats. She is a 1/1 for 1. protection from red. That right there seals the deal, against red matchups sb her in instead of calciderm to speed up your deck. And she also self sacrafices for a very awsome purpose. To story circle one of their cards.

Quagnoth sb this in against Sonic boom or the rack this guy takes the place of calciderm

Sudden death take out those pesky teferis! Sb in against Sonic boom or counter heavy control

Paladin en-vec sb in against R/B gobbos. very awsome weenie. Although it may never make its way to the gy....

Makeshift Mannequin if you have less than 4 in ur md; sb it for control or aggro.

Akroma, Angel of Wrath this should be sb and then brought out for gobbos or something.

Eyes of the Wisent do i really need to explain? if your mana base can handle it, this murders MUC!

More decklists coming soon. [/CENTER]

Cairn's Camo Commando
[deck=Cairn's Camo Commando][b]RareUncommon

Creatures:11
4 Cairn Wanderer
4 Oona's Prowler
3 Shreikmaw

Spells:7
3 Makeshift Mannequin
2 Damnation
2 Profane Command

Creatures:8
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Uktabi Drake
2 Quagnoth

Spells:3
3 Harmonize

Creatures:5
4 Mistmeadow Skulk
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Artifacts:3
3 Cloak and Dagger
()()()
Lands:23
8 Swamp
4 Brushland
4 Gemstone Mine
3 Treetop Village
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Murmuring Bosk
1 Pendelhaven
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Total=30 Total=19 Total=11[deck=Side Board]
3 Burrenton Forge-Tender
3 Sudden Death
2 Damnation
2 Extirpate
2 Krosan Grip
2 Sudden Spoiling
1 Pithing Needle
Total=7 Total=8[/deck][/deck]

TheColdBlackShadow's Version

[deck=CBS DECK]

-- 23 Lands:
4*Murmuring Bosk
4*Caves of kolios
2*Urborg, tomb of yagmoth
1*Gemstone cavern
7*swamp
5*plains

-- 28 Creatures:
4*Cairn Wanderer
4*Oona's Prowler
3*Akroma, angel of wrath
4*Mistmeadow skulk
4*Deepcavern imp
3*Calciderm
3*shriekmaw

-- 12 Spells:
4*makeshift mannequin
4*Nameless inversion
4*Oblivion Ring
2*Cloak and dagger[/deck]

Analysis

Matchups

Merfolk This matchup is tough. Try to keep their creatures off the board and you should be set. Record: 3-3

Sonic boom: This is a difficult matchup in which all your key stuff gets countered. Just keep applying pressure. They lose without guile..remember that.(without mannakin). Record: 3-3

Chilli: This is another touch matchup but I would say that when this deck has good draws it can be a spectacular match. Record: 2-1

Rack This matchup is awsome. It cant handle the speed of this deck. And when they make me discard it almost always helps me. Record: 6-2

U/W/G Blink They dont have that many counters..whenever they tap out you know they dont have any tricks, so just drop your cairn. Record 3-3

U/W/B Blink Wow, this is a hard matchup. Try to overextend a little. Try to get them to return creatures so you can discard them with oona's. Once you get cairn out though it wins the game. Protection goes a long way with this matchup. Record: 2-1

WW This is such an easy matchup the first strike kithkin can hold the early game and their kithkin also grant good abilities. The record should have been 4-0 but I made a TON of mistakes in one so I lost it (just barely for the record). Record: 3-1.

UG tempo This matchup is pretty silly. They dont have the resources to deal with cairn, and the aggro runs them over pretty consistantly. Record: 3-0

Mannaquin THis matchup is actually hard. Harder than I expected to be honest. Just dont let ur cairn fall into the graveyard and you should be good. (extirpate hurts g2) Record: 5-2

The Rock Wog hurts these guys...use it! Record 1-1

Red/Black Control This matchup is awsome. You can remove anything they play. Keep them on their backfeet until you drop cairn. Record: 4-2

FaeriesThis is hard...counters+strong creatures is difficult. Record 1-1

Fog Sb in some artifact+enchantment hate and you should be able to thwart this deck. Record 2-1

Elementals not much to say about this one as i didnt get to finish the match but id say if you find yourself facing this deck, sideboard in that pro red guy (burrenton or something) and you should be fine. Record: 1-1

Skred dont worry about not going first because skred has to set up. I got 2 Oona's in and a turn 4 akroma thanks to the mannequin took skred down to 5. Then came Pariah on the stuffy doll. I sac and drew for 2 turns (thank you horizon canopy) until I nameless inversioned the doll. I had been taken down to 9 in the process and the next turn i was to receive another lethal 9 blow. But the inversion saved me. Record 1-0
-Sir_Smitty_OJive Turkey

Mirror Match this one was B/G vs. B/W. the B/G got an early oona's prowler and disrupted my plans with nameless inversion and shriekmaw. on the second hit from oona i choose to discard a calciderm to oona then makeshift mannequin it. that same turn he played his cairn wanderer via accel in the forms of birds of paradise and mindstone . on my turn i cast my cairn wanderer. we stalemate for a turn then he hardcasts Akroma, Angel of Wrath. it was pretty much downhill from there with the B/G deck beating the B/W deck.

You would be surprised at how well this deck does because of the lack of card dumpers. Usually creatures dont stay on the board long, which means the opponent basically spends their energy in helping you. I usually end up with a skirmisher or a skulk, and a imp in the gy which by that time is usually gg.

Pick it up and try it!

Deckdoctors:

TheColdBlackShadow
Tekaa
Cherps
Sammirkin
RoadsArePoison
Sir_Smitty_OJiveturkey

Special thanks to Atmapallazo for the banner and to Hodoku for the dividers and the layout. And also many thanks to White monk for the outstanding banner

[Reserved]

Fixed the main thing and took out Wanderer on a budget and the deckbuilding strategies as I find its just plainly not usefull.
this is an Archetype now according to Theogony and the stickies.
Actually technically no...although Im glad you brought it up. And archetype is a deck that has either history or carries over to other formats...such as WW as its been played in probably every format. Or MBC, archetypes are really the bigger decks the more broad terms whereas [Pre-Archetype] means a deck that has significant testing/tournament appearances. So no...its not an archetype.
Jeez, third thread already. Good, good.

Here's my new version of this deck:

It plays much more defensively than previous incarnations, but I love to play it. This version is still in testing, not sure about a few cards, like the stromgald crusader I put in the deck because it was on my desk at the time. Got about one month to refine this deck before the spring-tournament.
Yay for thread #3....I'll get my own W/B/u list up in a bit as well ;)
Mafia History (Most Fun and/or Favorites listed)
SoM Mafia - Mirran-Aligned Mason - Killed Night 5 - Mafia win Iron Maiden Mafia (Classic) - Mafia-aligned Vanilla - Lived - Mafia Win - MVP PK Hates you (Int) - Mafia Don - Lived - Mafia Flawless Victory Toxic Waste Mafia (PC#3) - Mafia-aligned Roleblocker turned Hive-aligned Roleblocker - Hive win - MVP Basic #4: The Orchard Tree Mafia - Town-aligned Apple - Killed Night 4 - Mafia Win Mono has Mono, the privates story - Mafia-aligned Godfather - Lived - Mafia Win Touhou: Border Collapse (PC#4) - Sakuya Izayoi - Died Night 2 - Mafia win Tales of Symphonia (Int+) - Presea Combatir, Taciturn Girl - Lived - Town Win Sunflowers for Ragnarokio (PC#5) - In progress
As far as the Archetype thing goes, I was going off of the Stickies. Pan's Labyrinth is listed under Archetypes in the Type II Archetype Database. Sorry for the misinformation.
CBS: You should put a link from the first and second thread in here. And I have changed my deck:

-1 Treetop village
-1 Shriekmaw
-1 Damnation
-1 Akroma(SB)
+1 Damantaion(SB)
+1 Murmuring Bosk
+1 BIrds of Paradise
+1 Mystic Enforcer
CBS: You should put a link from the first and second thread in here. And I have changed my deck:

-1 Treetop village
-1 Shriekmaw
-1 Damnation
-1 Akroma(SB)
+1 Damantaion(SB)
+1 Murmuring Bosk
+1 BIrds of Paradise
+1 Mystic Enforcer

Do you seriously expect the list in the OP to be changed each time you do minor changes, then changes it back, do another minor change and so on?
Do you seriously expect the list in the OP to be changed each time you do minor changes, then changes it back, do another minor change and so on?

Maybe you take the sample deck's names and make them link to a single post so that someone like tekka can update their own decklist and still have it listed under the sample decklists in the OP.

Akira has a good idea. And it was 4 cards, and none of them were the same, so yes, I would. If I was the one running the thread I would.....j/k
Tag.
Hey people. I haven't been posting for a while but B/W is still kicking well. I haven't been playing Pan's alot in tournies anymore because of using a TurboFog deck that does a little better.

But I'm planning on making Pan's Labyrinth Extended, Why? Because it seems as though it has some solid cards like Exalted Angel and Mortify/Vindicate.

Here is the Standard List Iam using

4x Caves of Koilos
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1x Vivid Marsh
1x Vivid Meadow
8x Plains
8x Swamp
~~~~~~~~~~~
4x Mistmeadow Skulk
4x Oona's Prowler
4x Deepcavern Imp
3x Calciderm
4x Cairn Wanderer
4x Shriekmaw
~~~~~~~~~~~
4x Nameless Inversion
4x Oblivion Ring
3x Mind Stone
3x Makeshift Mannequin
~~~~~SB~~~~~
3x Rule of Law
3x Extripate
3x Paladin En-vec
3x Wrath of God
3x Cloak and Dagger

I want to make this Extended Legal and try it out like that...Can anyone give me suggestions and deck lists? Thanks.
I thought I would take the implied challenge by posting a green, black, blue and red based variant of the white variant below. I will post as time permits:

Well, at this point I am up to page 22 in the posts and now have a decklist variant to post for comments. My criteria for card selection was as follows:

1. synergy with the Cairn Wanderer
2. keep as close to a single color as possible, then splash as necessary
3. low cc with good mana curve
4. extra tech abilities

Using these criteria, I believe that white is the best color to comply with item 1 and 2, followed by black.

Here is the decklist:

25 critters
4x Mistmeadow Skulk - prot >3cc plus Lifelink @ 1W
4x Paladin En-vec - Pro R, Pro B, First Strike @ 1WW
3x Calciderm - Shroud @ 2WW (for a 5/5!)
2x Akroma, Angel of Wrath - core card for this deck @ 5WWW

4x Mulldrifter - Flying, draw cards @ 4U/2U

4x Deepcavern Imp - Flying, Haste @ 2B
4x Cairn Wanderer - core card for this deck @ 4B

12 Utility
3x Makeshift Mannequin - Plan B @ 3B
4x Nameless Inversion - targeted removal @ 1B
3x Oblivion ring - targeted removal vs black @ 2W
2x Wrath of God - mass removal @ 2WW

Land
1x Underground River
1x Adarkar Wastes
4x Caves of Koilos
2x Vivid Meadow
2x Vivid Marsh
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3x Desert
4x Swamp
5x Plains

Sideboard (still investigating)
3x Sudden Death
3x Krosan Grip
3x Quagnoth
3x Crib Swap
2x Wrath of God
1x Makeshift Mannequin

OK, Here's a green version, which I found very difficult to make, as green creatures have less access to the abilities found in white creatures. A substantial flaw is found in the exceptional difficulty of obtaining a Pro-Red ability. Perhaps giving up a couple of abilities to make a more aggro style (4-ofs) would work better.The same standards for the white version apply:

25 critters
3*Scryb Ranger
3*Pincher Beetles
2*Mirri, Cat Warrior
2*Ground Breaker
3*Cloud Thresher

4*Mistmeadow Skulk

4*Mulldrifter

4*Cairn Wanderer

12 Utility

3*Makeshift Mannequin
4*Oblivion Ring
3*Nameless Inversion
2*Damnation

lands
SB

This build might be slightly better:

4* Scryb Ranger
3* Pincher Beetles
3* Ground Breaker
3* Cloud Thresher

4* Mistmeadow Skulk

4* Mulldrifter

4* Cairn Wanderer

Comments welcome
Have you tested it much? If so, how does Groundbreaker fare for you? It could be good as both an early beater and a potential Mannequin target, not to mention it gives Cairn Trample and Haste.

Also, I'd like to add Sudden Spoiling to my SB, but I don't know what to take out. The current setup is 3 Damnation, 2 Quagnoth, 2 Cloudthresher, 2 Pithing Needle, 3 Extirpate, 3 Krosan Grip.

-Qairyl
Rules Advisor Drawn to combos, bad or not Foil Collector Elves need to go away. They did a humanless block--it's far beyond time for an elfless block.
Have you tested it much? If so, how does Groundbreaker fare for you? It could be good as both an early beater and a potential Mannequin target, not to mention it gives Cairn Trample and Haste.

Groundbreaker is horrible in Pan's. To start off, is just painful to use in a B/G/W version, Even a B/G, version of this deck. Haste you can get elsewhere by means of Uktabi Drake and Deepcavern Imp. Trample is hardly ever useful because you really want Cairn to focus on Evasion rather then abilities like Trample, Reach and First Strike. Wanted abilities that really utilize Cairn are Flying, Protection, Landwalk, Shroud, Haste, Lifelink and Fear. All of those are easily obtained in Common/Uncommon cards in the current standard. Plus an Wakroma.

Edit: Ahh, I didn't see the above deck list. As for yardstick's list. I would honestly suggest refiguring the deck alot. Cloudthresher is certainly not needed at all in this deck and you need cheaper creatures.
Uktabi Drake
BoP
Quagnoth (This guy grins evil at alot of blue/black/white decks)
and some others. but for you, Yardstick:

-2 Mirri, Cat Warrior
-2 Ground Breaker
-3 Cloud Thresher
-3 Scryb Rangers*
+4 BoP
+3 Uktabi Drake
+3 Oona's Prowler*
Also: While beetles have some use, Quagnoths and Calciderms are more useful and controling. You can stick with beetles but eventually you will have to phase towards those two. Mulldrifters...If you really want thise to be a 4-color deck, thats fine, but you may need to cut those out for something else. Possibly Shriekmaw or Harmonize
* You can choose to stick with Ranger if you cannot afford Prowlers for the time being. Ranger has usefulness indeed.
Yay for thread #3....I'll get my own W/B/u list up in a bit as well ;)

Ill probably put it up on the page. We need a solid B/W/U that isnt mannaquin based,
wow, third thread guys.

anyhoo... heres the current deck. Any suggestions appreciated

Well thats it... any suggestions that keep it BW are welcome. Just thought I'd throw my list up there

Yes!!! We want Sir Smitty's Deck to be updated for every changes he made. We Love Sir!!!!
Does anyone have a Extended Version of this deck? I would really like to see it.
wow, third thread guys.

anyhoo... heres the current deck. Any suggestions appreciated

Well thats it... any suggestions that keep it BW are welcome. Just thought I'd throw my list up there

I would take out 2 profane and 2 knights for 4 inversion but thats just me.
considering inversions. I really do want to fit them. But Knight has always served me very well and I just put in Profanes. Thanks for the advice.
Does anyone have a Extended Version of this deck? I would really like to see it.

seeing as this is the Standard deck critque forum, i dont think anyone would have an extended deck.
Has anyone else played against Bitterblossom Control? I just got my butt handed to me. I couldn't play a single spell. Maybe it was the luck of my draw, but man that sucked. They play all their spells on your turn accept for Bitterblossom leaving all their land open for counter spells. Anyone got any advice.
Go B/G/W quagnoth, mana accel and cool finishers...are u running B/W or somethign?
Go B/G/W quagnoth, mana accel and cool finishers...are u running B/W or somethign?

No, I'm running B/G/W. By the time Quagnoth came into play (Turn 4), he swung for 10 on turn 5 flying taking me down to 6 life. After I SB in Krosan Grip, Oblivion Ring, and my 4th Damnation, I couldn't get a single spell through other than Uktabi Drake which he tapped before the attack with a Pestermite and it died the next turn. I was locked down the whole game.
Groundbreaker is horrible in Pan's. To start off, is just painful to use in a B/G/W version, Even a B/G, version of this deck. Haste you can get elsewhere by means of Uktabi Drake and Deepcavern Imp. Trample is hardly ever useful because you really want Cairn to focus on Evasion rather then abilities like Trample, Reach and First Strike. Wanted abilities that really utilize Cairn are Flying, Protection, Landwalk, Shroud, Haste, Lifelink and Fear. All of those are easily obtained in Common/Uncommon cards in the current standard. Plus an Wakroma.

Edit: Ahh, I didn't see the above deck list. As for yardstick's list. I would honestly suggest refiguring the deck alot. Cloudthresher is certainly not needed at all in this deck and you need cheaper creatures.
Uktabi Drake
BoP
Quagnoth (This guy grins evil at alot of blue/black/white decks)
and some others. but for you, Yardstick:

-2 Mirri, Cat Warrior
-2 Ground Breaker
-3 Cloud Thresher
-3 Scryb Rangers*
+4 BoP
+3 Uktabi Drake
+3 Oona's Prowler*
Also: While beetles have some use, Quagnoths and Calciderms are more useful and controling. You can stick with beetles but eventually you will have to phase towards those two. Mulldrifters...If you really want thise to be a 4-color deck, thats fine, but you may need to cut those out for something else. Possibly Shriekmaw or Harmonize
* You can choose to stick with Ranger if you cannot afford Prowlers for the time being. Ranger has usefulness indeed.

Thanks for your reply, please read the following:

I thought I would take the implied challenge by posting a green, black, blue and red based variant of the white variant below. I will post as time permits:

Please also read the criteria used in deck design in post 14.

I am aware that the green build has serious limitations: primarily card drawing and creature quantity (regarding abilities), particularly a lack of pro-Red, since green is notoriously lacking in Pro-anything-but-Black. Here is an updated list for green (with explanations):

24 Critters
4x Scryb Ranger - Pro-U, Flying @ 1G
3x Pincher Beetles - Shroud @ 2G
3x Ground Breaker - Trample, Haste @ GGG
3x Cloud Thresher - Reach, Flyer control @ 2GGGG/2GG

3x Mistmeadow Skulk - Lifelink @ 1W
4x Phyrexian Rager - draw cards @ 2B
4x Cairn Wanderer - core card @ 4B

13 Utility
3x Makeshift Mannequin @ 3B
4x Oblivion Ring @ 2W
4x Nameless Inversion @ 1B
2x Damnation @ 2BB

23 land

Uktabi Drake could very well be a better selection, however I'd like to point out the Ball Lightning aspects of Ground Breaker. Since pro-___ is sorely lacking, the next best thing IMHO is trample+haste. Furthermore, a typical finishing move for this deck is to reanimate via Makeshift Mannequin. I trust that you noted the lack of WAkroma in the deck. I trust that you also noticed the lack of Pro-B / Pro-R. Would you prefer to reanimate an Uktabi Drake, or a Ground Breaker? Please also note the heavy green in this deck. it is not GBW. It is more like Gbw.

Alternate build:

4x Uktabi Drake - Flying, Haste @ G
4x Scryb Ranger - Pro-U, Flying @ 1G
3x Pincher Beetles - Shroud @ 2G
3x Cloud Thresher - Reach, Flyer control @ 2GGGG/2GG

4x Phyrexian Rager - draw cards @ 2B

Utility
4x Oblivion Ring @ 2W
3x Nameless Inversion @ 1B
2x Damnation @ 2BB

23 land
Here is the blue build. Please recall the criteria for deck construction in post 14. As a side note, blue is horrible for special (static) abilities, requiring more of a UWb build:

26 Critters
4x Flying Men - Flying @ U
4x Stormscape Familiar- Flying, reduces W/B cc @ 1U
4x Bonded Fetch - Haste, card drawing @ 2U
1x Clone - duh! @ 3U

3x Calciderm - Shroud @ 2WW
3x Akroma, Angel of Wrath - core card @ 5WWW

11 Utility
4x Oblivion Ring @ 2W
2x Nameless Inversion @ 1B
2x Wrath of God @ 2WW

23 land
Vexing Sphinx FTW! -2 Wakroma, 1 clone, +3 Sphinx.
Here is the red version. It has a similar problem to green, requiring more of a RBw build. Note the lack of shroud:

Critters
3x Spark Elemental - Trample, Haste @ R
3x Suq'Ata lancer - haste, Flanking @ 2R
3x Anaba Bodyguard - First Strike @ 3R
3x Avalanche Riders - Haste, land-o @ 3R

4x Oona's Prowler - Flying @ 1B
4x Mistmeadow Skulk - Lifelink @ 1W
1x Akroma, Angel of Fury - core card @ 5RRR
1x Akroma, Angel of Wrath - core card @ 5WWW

12 Utility
4x Oblivion Ring @ 2W
2x Profane Command @ XBB
2x Damnation @ 2BB
(sub in red utility as needed)
23 land
Vexing Sphinx FTW! -2 Wakroma, 1 clone, +3 Sphinx.

If you're going to add sphinx (which I considered) keep in mind Bonded Fetch offers Haste (how many blue critters offer haste?) and discarding/drawing as well. That said, Replacing the Bonded Fetches (and adding another Mistmeadow Skulk) is preferred over the WAkroma & Clone. However, it will mess with the curve somewhat.
I don't understand your point. More CA, better mana curve, a 4/4 for 3 that can be killed on command....pumps the cairn....come on!
Hey, I've been following this concept for a long time, and I've been building a deck of my own. It's pretty successful, and is tuned more for my local meta than the general concept.

I play against a lot of GW/GWB Garruk-style overrun decks. There's also a fair number of treefolk decks as well, that's partially why the sideboard is as such. Sudden Death is for anti-Teferi, et al. I used to have more Buffoons for elf matchups, but I'm phasing them out for paladins, when and where I get them. Extirpates vs. the big threats, obviously.
I would replace terror with Shriekmaw. Samthing but it beats and pumps cairn. I would remove the meadowgrain knight in favor of another skulk. Looks very solid, though. Nice deck.
I don't understand your point. More CA, better mana curve, a 4/4 for 3 that can be killed on command....pumps the cairn....come on!

Huh. Bonded Fetch is better for this deck's blue version. Vexing sphinx has several downsides;

1. It only gives flying to Mr. Man the Wanderer.
2. It is a 4/4, a major threat to the opponent. The opponent must kill it quickly, and you lose the "discard outlet".
3. if the vexing sphinx somehow survives until your upkeeps, you have to discard more and more, which thus requires a decent form of card-draw from other cards.
4. This deck don't win by going "hellbent".

The conclusion is simple; Vexing sphinx provides no card advantage, only threat and possible discard outlet.

Yardstick has been very thorough. Good work.
My first delve into Pan's Labyrinth (this deck is made more awesome by that being one of my favorite movies).

At the moment I can't afford to go over the $100 mark and I prefer the more aggro side of things, so keep that in mind with suggestions.

Also a question, has PL ever gone T8?

Does Streetwraith+Urborg actually work well?

(I never sideboard till I've finalized my list by the way.)
Remove 2 skyhunter skirmishers add 2 akroma...hopefully thats within ur budget?
Huh. Bonded Fetch is better for this deck's blue version. Vexing sphinx has several downsides;

1. It only gives flying to Mr. Man the Wanderer.
2. It is a 4/4, a major threat to the opponent. The opponent must kill it quickly, and you lose the "discard outlet".
3. if the vexing sphinx somehow survives until your upkeeps, you have to discard more and more, which thus requires a decent form of card-draw from other cards.
4. This deck don't win by going "hellbent".

The conclusion is simple; Vexing sphinx provides no card advantage, only threat and possible discard outlet.

Yardstick has been very thorough. Good work.

Ok, so you put a threat into play. It must be killed. Good, they wasted a kill spell on the sphinx and not cairn.

You don't have to pay the upkeep ;).
Ok, so you put a threat into play. It must be killed. Good, they wasted a kill spell on the sphinx and not cairn.

You don't have to pay the upkeep ;).

If you dont pay the upkeep, how do you get WAkroma into the GY?

Lets assume, for the sake of discussion that one chooses the sphinx over the fetch. Look at how the card mechanics work out-

Fetch version:
Turn 1 island, flying man, go
turn 2 land, bonded fetch, go, EOT, tap, draw, discard WAkroma
turn 3, land, stormscape familiar, go, EOT, tap, draw, discard a card
turn 4, land, hardcast cairn, attack, response (if necessary) tap fetch, draw, discard

so, by turn 4, I could (theoretically) have drawn 2-3 extra cards. We discount the discarding aspect of the fetch, because there is (theoretically) no drawback to filling our GY with critters, due to cairn's ability

Sphinx version (assume -4 Bonded Fetch, +3 sphinx, +1 skulk): (was originally flying man)

Turn 1, island, flying man, go
Turn 2, plains, stormscape, go
Turn 3, island, Sphinx, go
Turn 4, discard WAkroma to Sphinx, cast Cairn, attack

So, by turn 4 I could (theoretically) have not drawn any extra cards. Thus, theoretically, I believe the sphinx build is a weaker build.

(edits in italics)