Big Mana

1123 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Baka-Bushi/mana.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku/RGWU.gif)

Big Mana has one purpose: dominate. Your goal is to get out a few lands and accel, drop some efficient threats, and lay waste. Sound good to you? Then this is the deck you have been looking for! Big Mana, which has now gone into more than just the traditional red and green lists (see below), looks to drop a smidge of early accel, such as Wall of Roots or Into the North, then with mana advantage, putting out big, hard-to-deal-with threats like Cloudthresher and Akroma, Angel of Wrath. The goal of Big Mana is to apply pressure until your opponents life total reaches zero.

Creatures

Wall of Roots - Slows aggro and accels
Tarmogoyf - Although not as stellar here as elsewhere, still a good inclusion in RG versions
Siege-gang Commander - Beats and burn on many bodies
Aeon Chronicler - Draw power, big beater, for GWu variant
Cloudthresher - Flash, Reach, Fat Body and a mini-Hurricane!
Big Q - SplitSecond, Shroud, Fat Body
Crovax, Ascendant Hero - Good effects, hard to kill. For GW/x variants
Purity - Viable against a burn-heavy meta
Bogardan Hellkite - Solid 2-of, if you choose to run him at all
Akroma, Angel of Wrath - Need I say why? For GW/x variants

Spells

Skred - Snow-version Removal
Condemn - Cheap removal, for GW/x variants (good vs. that turn 2 Doran!)
Into the North - Get those Snow lands
Coldsteel Heart - For slower builds w/ Snow
Fertile Grounds - Synergy w/ Garruk, watch for bounce/LD
Incinerate - Burn.
Oblivion Ring - Versatile removal
Coalition Relic - Accel, fixer. Good in GW/x variants (without Austere Command)
Wrath of God - Duh. Good for GW/x variants!
Foresee - Less draw, but higher quality, viable in GWu variants
Harmonize - Card draw. Much needed!
Garruk Wildspeaker - Staple 3- or 4-of.
Void - For those RGb variants, sweeps out aggro decks
Austere Command - Wraths 5+, good for GW/x variants
Primal Command - Solid inclusion! Toolbox enabler
Molten Disaster - Big burn with SplitSecond kicker!

Real Estate

Highland Weald, Boreal Shelf. Arctic Flats, Tresserhorn Sinks - Snow Duals
Mouth of Ronom - Instant-speed Colorless Removal!
Scrying Sheets - Snow Engine, good for slower, snow-oriented lists
Brushland, Karplusan Forest - Painlands
Grove of the Burnwillows - Good for non-Snow variants or in place of Karplusan Forest
Horizon Canopy - Not a dead draw when mana heavy, GW/x variants
Treetop Village - 3/3 for 2 that dodges Sorcery-speed removal!
Mutavault - The 'Goyf land. Tough for our color requirements
Urza's Factory - Alternate wincon

Sideboard

Tormod's Crypt Can hose graveyards (Lark)
Seal of Primordium - Set it and forget it!
Extirpate - For those RGb variants to hose out LarkBlink
Pyroclasm - For Rogues/Faeries
Stonecloaker - Very good answer to LarkBlink for GW/x builds
Chameleon Colossus - 4/4 for 4 w/ ProBlack! Very solid, if not MD inclusion
Sulfurous Blast - Big sweeper, good vs. Faeries
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss - Accel and LD, great vs. DStorm, LarkBlink
Akroma, Angel of Fury - To further stick it to control

OldHat's Current RG List, 1-18-08 to 2-15-08

Lands (24)
4x Highland Weald
4x Treetop Village
2x Mouth of Ronom
2x Karplusan Forest
6x Snow-Covered Forest
6x Snow-Covered Mountain

Creatures (14)
4x Wall of Roots
4x Cloudthresher
3x Siege-gang Commander
3x Big Q

Spells (22)
4x Skred
3x Incinerate
4x Into the North
3x Garruk Wildspeaker
4x Harmonize
2x Molten Disaster
2x Primal Command

Sideboard (15)
2x Akroma, Angel of Fury
3x Sulfurous Blast
3x Pyroclasm
3x Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
3x Seal of Primordium
1x Molten Disaster

January Standings [18-2]
37 wins, 8 losses

February Standings(to date) [8-2]
16 wins, 6 losses

The FNM reports are within the thread and posted on the date they happened (if you are really interested), I put them up so people could get a feel for how the deck does against various match-ups. The above list hasn't changed much, with the Primal Commands being the only thing that has bounced in and out, with their inclusion being deemed needed as of Feb.

OldHat's GWu List

Lands (23)
2x Arctic Flats
1x Boreal Shelf
2x Brushland
2x Horizon Canopy
2x Mouth of Ronom
2x Treetop Village
1x Urza's Factory
6x Snow-Covered Forest
5x Snow-Covered Plains

Creatues (6)
1x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1x Crovax, Ascendant Hero
2x Aeon Chronicler
2x Cloudthresher

Spells (31)
3x Condemn
3x Oblivion Ring
4x Harmonize
4x Into the North
3x Garruk Wildspeaker
4x Primal Command
3x Fertile Ground
4x Wrath of God
1x Austere Command
2x Search for Tomorrow

Sideboard (15)
4x Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
2x Quagnoth
2x Stonecloaker
1x Cloudthresher
1x Austere Command
1x Purity
1x Crovax, Ascendant Hero
3x Seal of Primordium

Tested a bit, not a radical departure from the above list. Thus far, it has done very well. Generally geared towards my metagame and I will begin FNM reports (hopefully) by March 7th.

Older Decklists

2007 States lists via StarCityGames (they give great breakdowns and all that, as well as prices)
Adam Monita, 1st Place Minneapolis, Minnesota
Cameron Gonzales, 3rd Place Alburquerque, New Mexico
James Lance, 3rd Place Little Rock, Arkansas
Shave Wimble, 3rd Place Burlington, Vermont
Armin Birner, 3rd Place Grand Prix Krakow
Stuart Parnes, 5th Place Garden City, Michigan
Dustin Ens, 7th Place Saskatchewan, Canada
James Araciah, 8th Place Charelston, West Virginia
Daniel Samoles, 8th Place Edison, New Jersey

2007 Champs Lists

Chris Lachmann, 2007 Worlds

Lands (24)
4x [card]Highland Weald/card]
2x [card]Karplusan Forest/card]
3x [card]Mouth of Ronom/card]
1x [card]Scrying Sheets/card]
5x Snow-Covered Forest
5x Snow-Covered Mountain
4x [card]Treetop Village/card]

Creatures (15)
2x [card]Bogardan Hellkite
2x [card]Cloudthresher/card]
3x [card]Siege-Gang Commander/card]
4x [card]Tarmogoyf/card]
4x [card]Wall of Roots/card]

Spells (21)
3x [card]Garruk Wildspeaker/card]
4x [card]Harmonize/card]
4x [card]Incinerate/card]
4x [card]Into the North/card]
2x [card]Molten Disaster/card]
4x [card]Skred/card]

Sideboard (15)
4x [card]Akroma, Angel of Fury/card]
4x [card]Mwonvuli Acid-Moss/card]
3x [card]Spectral Force/card]
4x Sulfurous Blast
Day 1, 5-0

The Great 'Goyf Debate

To run 'Goyf or not to run 'Goyf, that is the question. So, let us break down the 'Goyf question a little bit, shall we?

Pro
At 1, 'Goyf is a bargain! You get so much for so little investment. When the mid-game hits and you can drop a 4/5 or 5/6 for so little mana, you can have a higher threat count, which means more pressure. That is how this deck wins, by applying lots of pressure with "must answer" threats. He can, in some builds, serve as an anti-'Goyf measure by being able to block his own kind. Also, he swings in the early game for a few points, which Big Mana usually does not manage outside of man-lands. 'Goyf puts down some beats to make our mid- and late-game a bit more favorable. In addition to that, it seems anyone and everyone running this at big tourneys run 'Goyf. Some say that is enough to prove his usefulness.

Con
At $30-50, 'Goyf is ridiculously expensive. In addition to that, he doesn't really do anything to change the board except serve as a big body for a cheap manacost. In Big Mana, that really isn't an incentive. We strive to "mana ramp" into threats with more to offer. Originally, it was Bogardan Hellkite, now it is Cloudthresher and Akroma. The aforementioned threats all had more to offer than a big body - Flash, Flying, Haste, Protection, etc. That alone changed the board, in addition to being nasty fatties.

I suppose you can come to your own conclusions. Each of us has an opinion on 'Goyf, so I encourage everyone to come up with their own. Test, though, before you jump on the anti-'Goyf bandwagon. Opinions should be well-founded, so don't just dismiss him. Afterward, you can make your own assessments on the value of running 'Goyf or not.

Thanks to those who helped innovate the deck. If you wish to contribute to those thread just PM me. Lists, results and all of that. Although I have limited access to FNMs, I will post my results as often as I can and I hope others will as well. If I missed anything, let me know!

Big thanks to -Stu, Atmapalazzo and Banksy for the amazing banners and Hodoku for the dividers. Without guys like this our threads would be so boring!
I wonder, considering how much and how succesfully it's been played, it this thread could become an Archtype.
Let me get this straight. This is a Pre-Archetype, yet it had a First place finnish, and multiple 3rd place finnishes. R/B goblins is an archetype, and has never taken first.

And no consideration of a Snow mana base? It looks like this deck could so it.
Highland Weald, Boreal Druid, Sheets, Mouth of Ronom? (Snowcovered Mountain and Forest)
It probably should be. Especially since it T8 @ Krakow. Just curious which version is better......with or without Fertile Ground. With the lack of good LD in Standard, and the addition of Garruk, seems too sweet to ignore. Then again, Oblivion Ring probably wants a word with me.......
Well, I just made it on a whim. So, let the Wizo's figure that stuff out. I just wanted to play the deck because it looks pretty beastly. And if you can come up with a Snow-list that looks viable, I will add the Snow stuff to the opening page and your list (you will noticed mine is untested, but if you can get some games in that would be great!).

Let me get this straight. This is a Pre-Archetype, yet it had a First place finnish, and multiple 3rd place finnishes. R/B goblins is an archetype, and has never taken first.

And no consideration of a Snow mana base? It looks like this deck could so it.
Highland Weald, Boreal Druid, Sheets, Mouth of Ronom? (Snowcovered Mountain and Forest)

So they are going to waste an Oblivion Ring on Fertile Ground? When you could be cranking out Hellkites, Hostility, etc. I think not. Put it this way, if you run Garrul, Fertile Ground is probably a great choice.

It probably should be. Especially since it T8 @ Krakow. Just curious which version is better......with or without Fertile Ground. With the lack of good LD in Standard, and the addition of Garruk, seems too sweet to ignore. Then again, Oblivion Ring probably wants a word with me.......

So they are going to waste an Oblivion Ring on Fertile Ground? When you could be cranking out Hellkites, Hostility, etc. I think not. Put it this way, if you run Garrul, Fertile Ground is probably a great choice.

Touche.......don't mind me man, it's been a very long week and even common sense hurts ATM.
Hmm. THis is untested, but its the best i can do on short notice.

4x Scrying Sheets
4x Highland Weald
3x Mouth of Ronom
10x Snow Covered Forest
3x Snow Covered Mountain

4x Boreal Druid
4x Wall of Roots
3x Ohran Viper
4x Scryb Ranger
3x Radha, Heir to Keld
3x Spectral Force
3x Red Akroma

3x Harmonize
4x Incinerate
2x Molten Disaster
3x Search For Tomorow

Yeah this sucks, why did i bother (not the deck itself, just my list)
Added Snow to the opening page. It had crossed my mind, but I didn't realize just how many solid inclusions there were for Snow. I am not sure if the Snow builds are better, because I haven't tested either yet, but I see that no one has taken this route yet.

Adding more lists from other, non-North America tourneys!
Nice thread, just this deck loses to control hard.
Also isn't it called "Mana Ramp"?...I saw this deck on MTGSalvation.
Well, Mana Ramp was the name for it in the Time Spiral Block, if I recall.

I haven't had the chance to test, though I love the way the deck looks and from what I see, it has done very well. Control does seem like it would be a tough match-up. Pickles and Martyr Control decks would be an ordeal.

In an aggro-heavy environment, this looks like it would be a beast.

Nice thread, just this deck loses to control hard.
Also isn't it called "Mana Ramp"?...I saw this deck on MTGSalvation.

Well, Mana Ramp was the name for it in the Time Spiral Block, if I recall.

I haven't had the chance to test, though I love the way the deck looks and from what I see, it has done very well. Control does seem like it would be a tough match-up. Pickles and Martyr Control decks would be an ordeal.

In an aggro-heavy environment, this looks like it would be a beast.

Ah, it needs a deck name change, and this is a good one.
See, good control players let you get the mana you need and counter your Garruk Wildspeaker, Bogardan Hellkite, Seige-Gang Commander.
My meta is completely different, this deck would not do as well in my meta, it is all blue control.
Nice thread, should be dtb.
I've been playing a deck that's over 50% lands and mana accel since Lorwyn hit Standard. Countermagic and heavy discard hurt the deck big time. I do best versus aggro and mid-range control.

Primal Command is an invaluable card in my deck. I think it would serve "Big Mana" well to test out Primal Command builds.
One list actually ran it in their sideboard and I do agree it would be very useful.

As for the "Control Meta", this would not be a great choice from what I gather. I can imagine, though, that in a mostly aggro meta (much like mine), it would be a force to be reckoned with.

I've been playing a deck that's over 50% lands and mana accel since Lorwyn hit Standard. Countermagic and heavy discard hurt the deck big time. I do best versus aggro and mid-range control.

Primal Command is an invaluable card in my deck. I think it would serve "Big Mana" well to test out Primal Command builds.

Major tweaks could get Big Mana stronger vs. control. G/R has flashy creatures like Bogardan Hellkite, Cloudthresher, and Briarhorn. It has cheap threats like Tarmogoyf and Troll Ascetic. Snow builds can sneak a Skred through countermagic to kill Guile. Masked Admirers is a recurring threat. Molten Disaster is an uncounterable finisher/Guile killer. If you just want to go nuts, there's always Quagnoth and Scragnoth. Thorn of Amethyst will let you sneak around a Pact of Negation when the Boom player tapped out for his Guile - or at least delay Guile until the control player has seven lands. Rootgrapple is instant LD. That makes control cry.

OldHat:
"in a mostly aggro meta (much like mine), it would be a force to be reckoned with."

If I don't stumble out of the gates, I eat aggro for breakfast.
Let me just say that is among the most odd of the Standard decks I have seen and it is a slight departure from Big Mana in a few regards. First and foremost, I think your loses a bit of consistency by adding White. Also, it looks complicated and, though I may be wrong, Big Mana seems to be a straight-forward sort of deck. More like a brawler and less like a fencer.

I won't discount yours, though, but I am going to be testing the RG versions in the near future (tomorrow begins my solo testing and Friday should see some matches). I am debating on a list and am currently lacking Garruk, which hurts. I think I can survive, though. I might even run the Snow version I drew up.
No Garruks hurts big time. Playing him on turn three along with the other accel means 6-9 mana on turn four. If that doesn't win the game, his 2nd and 3rd abilities often do. If I had a 3rd Garruk, I'd run 3 instead of 2.

I am interested in how the decks test for you, including the snow build. It looks poised to crush weenies as long as your disasters and hellkites show up. I'm guessing it will have a very hard time against Mono Black or Mono Blue Control, Martyr/Wrath, and Turbo Fog. Definitely weigh Incinerate vs. Skred.

Thank you for calling my deck odd. It annoys, frustrates, and confuses my opponents. It also annoys, frustrates, and confuses people who try to play it.

There was a time many years ago when I lived in a city with a thriving Magic scene. Every Friday there was a Standard tournament with cash prizes and many seriously good Magic players. I could quickly find out if a deck I had hobbled together was actually any good through 7-8 rounds of tournament play.

Fast forward to today! I live in a small city where the only regular tournament is the free Friday Night Magic that pulls in 8-12 players and only runs four rounds. I'm happy to have it, but the playing pool is so small I can't tell if a deck I build myself is tier 1, tier 2, teir 3, or tier 98.

The point is I'm dying to have someone try my ideas in the real Magic world.

I agree on Primal Command completely.

I'm in the process of building a list with 4 Primal Command so I can run a toolbox R/G Big Mana. It's going to include a lot of 1-ofs like Detritivore and RAkroma.

I'll post it once I have completed the list.
Running them as a 4-of in a toolbox set-up would probably be pretty nasty. That seems like a good way to go and would give the deck a better way to get threats instead of relying on just draw power.

It only costs 1 more than Harmonize and nets you lifegain, bounce, a creature in hand, or a chance to reshuffle (vs. Haakon, that is just mean). Imagine hitting a Garruk or Treetop Village with this, putting it on top of their library. Or if you face Burn and they are running out of steam, this puts you further out of range.

Good call and I may well pick up a playset to test with.

EDIT: Did a few solo runs today, just seeing how it worked out. Solid stuff. I do wish I had Garruk, but I am running Call of the Herd and that will suffice for now. I am running 'Goyf and I think that is a wise choice for anyone building the deck. Siege-gang is also another nice card to include. I am finding Hostility not really as needed as I had thought.

I agree on Primal Command completely.

I'm in the process of building a list with 4 Primal Command so I can run a toolbox R/G Big Mana. It's going to include a lot of 1-ofs like Detritivore and RAkroma.

I'll post it once I have completed the list.

If anyone hasn't read the GP Krakow reports, please do. It shows this deck can survive a field with lots of control.
Dan's decklist is solid, he's a personal friend of mine and his deck plays very well. I wish all you people playing Big (Red) Mana fun, because this deck is pretty fun to play imo.

Here's my list, critiquing would be nice.

IMAGE(http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/hardrockhenry1893/BigManaBanner.jpg)

Made this. Thought you might want it.

Banksy
Looks good to me. I will be honest, I haven't felt the need for Hostility as more than a 1-of (and I cut him altogether). Not sure if anyone else is getting a lot out of him, but he seems a bit narrow and not altogether that great aside from being a 6/6 for 6 Hasty. You might want to up that Cloudthresher to 2 or run another Garruk. Also, as was discussed, you might want to try the Primal Command route.

I love Spectral Force, but have you tried Siege-gang Commander at all? That is a nice addition, especially with Garruk. 'Goyf also seems like a good idea, but isn't an autoinclude (I run 2, actually). I am also running 4-of Search and Harmonize. I hate running out of steam and I lot thinning this deck out to draw my fat threats. Come to think of it, I need to post my list sometime soon.

Anyhow, let me know how it does in any tourneys you attend. I know City Champs is going on, but I can't get to them easily (45 min. drive).

Dan's decklist is solid, he's a personal friend of mine and his deck plays very well. I wish all you people playing Big (Red) Mana fun, because this deck is pretty fun to play imo.

Here's my list, critiquing would be nice.

This deck looks like the natural step up from Poorlash. Being one color really makes that deck hard to evolve, as AMAZINGLY FUN as it is... this deck looks like the awesome.
how has eyes of the wisent been working for people when siding in against MUB or other such blue decks?

would love some advice, as I've been simply out of luck when it comes to testing against control!

Cheers
Eyes of the Wisent only really helps if you get it out early is what I have noticed, but it being 2 mana and all it isn't that hard.

I updated my list a bit, I might sideboard the extra Cloudthresher instead of having both in my list. I plan on trying out the primal command route, thanks.
In the past few days of testing I have absolutely fell in love with Primal Command. It's just a very adaptive card, that will win you games. Here's my tentative list so far: no where near perfect and I still feel it needs some changes.

In the past few days of testing I have absolutely fell in love with Primal Command. It's just a very adaptive card, that will win you games. Here's my tentative list so far: no where near perfect and I still feel it needs some changes.

what have your matchups against control been like?
Looks like the natural evolution of Flores' idea finally made it Stateside. I was kind of wondering when it would show up here in DtB.

Big Mana GR is the offspring of Monored Control and Poorlash. It's better than both decks since it's able to poach most of the best from green and red and run them concurrently.

Be warned. Aggro decks around my meta have already adapted to this deck, and against these, the deck does have a bit of a hard time. If you're going to run low CC, low toughness creatures at all, be sure to feature ones that benefit from lots of mana, or ones that survive Molten Disaster for 4.

For Snow builds, Phyrexian Ironfoot is easy to fund (manawise) and hardy enough to survive most sweep effects. Ashling the Pilgrim performs well in some builds, particularly those that also run Vigor.

Spectral Force is strictly mediocre here. You're going to sweep the board often enough, and have point removal, so Trample is a bit redundant. Cloudthresher is superior in almost every way that counts.
Updated my list a bit, I didn't really like the whole Primal Command thing if it was more like Tooth and Nail than I would run it because I loved that card :P So far my newer list has been doing better, siding in 2 more RAkroma's and 3 Eyes of the Wisent vs. U/x control has been helpful. I would recommend that anyone whose list doesn't run fungal reaches to try it out, you can put out a lot of storage counters pretty easy since you can just EoT them on your opponent's turn.
I've been thinking about fungal reaches too. If you're colors can support it, it would be awesome. getting a Hellkite (or w/e else...) out one turn earlier can make all the difference.
I'm curious; has anyone thought of trying Deathrender in this deck as opposed to Warhammer? One of the guys in the shop that I play has a similar deck to this in implementation but has the added redundancy of playing Deathrender. It helps against controls as it breaks down the match to whether or not you resolve a Deathrender. If you do, you should be able to win as the deck plays Greater Gargadon as a sac outlet which then lets you combo out with Hellkites.

How does that sound?
How does that sound?

Way too narrow.

Fungal Reaches is a MUST in this deck. Most lists run at least three.
Here is a list I have drawn up that I am considering using. I lack Garruk (and don't have the money for them, either). If I did, I would replace the Search for Tomorrow with Fertile Ground and the Call of the Herd with Garruk. Obvious choices.

Lands (24)
4x Karplusan Forest
3x Fungal Reaches
3x Treetop Village
1x Urza's Factory
1x Pendelhaven
7x Forest
5x Mountain

Creatues (15)
4x Wall of Roots
3x Siege-gang Commander
3x Bogardan Hellkite
1x Deadwood Treefolk
2x Vigor
2x Cloudthresher

Spells (21)
4x Call of the Herd
4x Harmonize
4x Incinerate
3x Disintigrate
4x Search for Tommorrow
2x Loxodon Warhammer

Sideboard (15)
2x Krosan Grip
3x Detritivore
4x Pyroclasm
3x Dead // Gone
3x Mwonvuli Acid-Moss

I like the Warhammer, as it is lifegain. Again, if I had Garruk, I would run Fertile Ground over Search and Garruk over Call. As it stands, Call is still good card advantage.

I miss Demonfire, but Disintigrate will have to do (Molten Disaster may be too risky in my meta, but Pyroclasm is a good board option). I cut Birds, because I didn't want to clog up the deck with accel.

I am running the singleton Treefolk because it could randomly help and it certainly won't hurt. Say they Shriekmaw one of my early beasties, I can recover it and if they kill my Treefolk, I can get another one too. Vigor also seems kinda nice post-board when I throw out a Pyroclasm. It makes damage-based removal moot unless they can kill Vigor. Hostility was neat, but I think the 6/6 Trample is better since it will get at least something through ideally (where as Hostility can be chumped by almost anything).

Just my thoughts and I hope to have this deck built and testing soon.
I like Armin Birner's list the most, and i am running it with some changes(nothing big, just -1 Search for Tomorrow, +1 Fertile Ground and some adjustments with the lands because of not having some of them).

Some thoughts on cards that i don't like in here:

Vigor: This shouldn't be ran in the deck. It is a dead draw a lot of the time and doesn't have a CIP ability or evasion.

Spectral Force: He is OK, i guess.....i really don't have anything besides that i don't like him in general. A big, trampling creature is good, but one that your opponent doesn't have to worry about every turn isn't as hot.

Fungal Reaches: This deck is very mana hungry color-wise, so i don't like this in the deck. Sure, it can get out of hand and possibly land you that game-winning Hellkite, but i would rather have consistant mana.

I really like this deck and am looking forward to seeing how it changes over the months to come.
Fungal Reaches: This deck is very mana hungry color-wise, so i don't like this in the deck. Sure, it can get out of hand and possibly land you that game-winning Hellkite, but i would rather have consistant mana.

the mana in this deck (blue splash possibly aside) is stupidly consistant. you are usually golden if your opening hand contains a green-producing land. Building up free mana makes all kinds of stupid things possible.
I like Armin Birner's list the most, and i am running it with some changes(nothing big, just -1 Search for Tomorrow, +1 Fertile Ground and some adjustments with the lands because of not having some of them).

Some thoughts on cards that i don't like in here:

Vigor: This shouldn't be ran in the deck. It is a dead draw a lot of the time and doesn't have a CIP ability or evasion.

Spectral Force: He is OK, i guess.....i really don't have anything besides that i don't like him in general. A big, trampling creature is good, but one that your opponent doesn't have to worry about every turn isn't as hot.

I really like this deck and am looking forward to seeing how it changes over the months to come.

Vigor isn't bad. He does have Evasion, that being Trample. A 6/6 for 6 is cost efficient and the abiltity, as stated, can work with a few cards run by the deck. Think of it with Molten Disaster or Pyroclasm. Those are solid enough interactions and unlike Spectral Force, he is a constant swinging threat until dealt with.

As for Fungal Reaches, I think that is a 3- or 4-of. We do not have that demanding of colors. This is a 2-color deck, afterall. Yes, double and triple costs are tough, but not really. Considering that there are 3- and 4-color decks running around, I think we are good with the Reaches and their absurd ability to build up massive turns is hard to argue with.

I do agree that Force is sub-par and it is not worth running the Ranger to make it work, either.

the mana in this deck (blue splash possibly aside) is stupidly consistant. you are usually golden if your opening hand contains a green-producing land. Building up free mana makes all kinds of stupid things possible.

Agreed. I have never, ever been mana-screwed in any of my testing thus far.
Everytime I've gotten 2 Fungal Reaches out I've won the preceding turn, now that's slightly exagerrated but usually I win when I get 2 out just because you can get a storage counter on each with just one land enchanted with fertile ground. So if I've got 3 counters on each that's 6 mana not counting the other lands and Garruk in play if I have him.

Fungal Reaches is definitely a 3 or 4 of.
I think my opinion on Fungal Reaches is somewhat going to be slanted to it being bad here because in the versions of the deck that it hasn't been in, my win/loss ratio is much higher than when testing versions that used it. That's all, maybe that was just bad luck though.