Power Glove (Poorlash)

580 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7595/finalpoorlashmuralcroppar0.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d62/OMFGPIE/G_Divider.gif)

The deck plays on massive (un)conventional acceleration via search for tomorrow, wall of roots, yavimaya dryad, and into the north. Masked Admirers and Harmonize provides card draw, and due to the massive amount of land acceleration, the admirers can be recurred easily if he is in the graveyard.

Once your massive mana base is online, you cast a kicked Verdeloth the Ancient or a Gauntlet of Power to further increase your ridiculous amount of mana. The gauntlet can be followed by a kicked Verdeloth which can be ridiculous again.

This deck was designed/developed by Mike Flores, Brian David Marshall and Brian Kowal. Mike Flores is a prominent columnist in the Magic Society while Brian David Marshal is currently more known for his Pro-Tour/Grand Prix commentary with Randy Buehler and Brian Kowal was a 2007 Wisconsin States finalist.

Card Choices

Creatures

Masked Admirer – Nice cantrip and a strong contender post-wrath effects. Its recursive ability really goes well with the deck
Wall of Roots – A Wall accelerator. A wise inclusion in an aggro-heavy meta.
Yavimaya Dryad – An accelerator on a body. Partially solves Garruk-based decks.
Dauntless Dourbark – Dubbed the “Poorlash” by Brian David Marshal. Usually a 5/5 on Turn 4 and occasionally has trample.
Verdeloth the Ancient – One of the perfect candidate to abuse the absurd amount of mana you have.
Sheltering Ancient – A 5/5 for 2 mana with a drawback. It is a treefolk and can be pumped to a 6/6 by Verdeloth.
Baru, Fist of Krosa – Another creature to abuse the forest coming into play ability, but the deck have to be built around him
Jolrael, Empress of Beast – One of the possible finishers for this deck.
Cloudthresher – A fine addition if you have problem with flyers.
Treefolk Harbinger – Treefolk Tutor. Worth mentioning depending on personal taste.
Allosaurus Rider – Neo-dauntless dourbark.
Panglacial Wurm – Can be casted through a land tutor. Worth mentioning depending on personal taste.
Magus of Candelabra - Works well with Gauntlet of Power in play.
Deadwood Treefolk - Nice treefolk fatty that returns a creature to your hand. A solid target in a toolbox version.
Timber Protector - Indestructible forest and treefolks.
Spectral Force - This 8/8 trampler comes out fast with accelerators.
Thelonite Hermit - Works well with Verdeloth the Ancient's saprolings.
Chameleon Colossus – Works well with Gauntlet of Power. Tap 4 lands to pump it twice!
Leaf-Crowned Elder – Generates card advantage but needs more Treefolk in the deck (which this archetype can offer)
Unstoppable Ash – A nice treefolk to add, but its championing ability needs to be taken note off.

Spells

Gauntlet of Power – Makes you have ridiculous amount of mana plus it pumps your creatures.
Search for Tomorrow – Accelerator.
Rampant Growth - Accelerator for non snow builds.
Into the North – Accelerator. Tutors for Scrying Sheets and Mouth of Ronom if you play them.
Harmonize – Card Draw. Most likely needed for keeping up with card advantage.
Mwonvulli Acid Moss – Land destruction and accelerator.
Sprout Swarm – Works fine with ridiculous amount of mana.
Wurmcalling – Churns out big wurms with ridiculous amount of mana. It has buyback too.
Garruk Wildspeaker – Works really well with the deck especially with a Gauntlet of Power in play.
Summoning Pact – Tutors for the kill cards like Verdeloth or Cloudthresher. Allows the player to play creature toolbox version.
Akroma's Memorial - Green little Akromas (saprolings!) slamming through the red zone. Hitting the required mana should be easy.
Squall Line - A Cloudthresher variant (that burns big!).
Cream of the Crop – Due to high powered creatures, this card allows you to draw the card you need. Also works well with Leaf-Crowned Elder.
Recross the Paths – Accelerator/fixer.
Reach of Branches – It is an instant that can be tutored by Treefolk Harbingers. Returning this from graveyard to your hand should not be a problem in this archetype.

Lands

Forest – Basic Land. The more the better since Dauntless Dourbark benefits from this.
Snow-covered Forest – To either fool your opponents, of a must-add if you are playing scrying sheets.
Scrying Sheets – A wise choice since it occasionally draws you a card.
Mouth of Ronom – Colourless burn against creatures. A fine removals in a mono green deck that lacks removals.
Treetop Village – An uncounterable 3/3 tramping Ape. Adding this to your deck means you have to sacrifice some basic forest and Dauntless Dourbark efficiency.
Murmuring Bosk – It is a Cave of Koilos that can be tutored!

Sideboard Suggestions

It is wise to note that this deck’s enemy is Gaddock Teeg, and Garruk Wildspeaker himself. White Weenie decks also pose a big threat against this deck, but could be won is one have the right sideboard cards and play strategy. It was also found later that Forest-walking elves is the deck's biggest threat. Therefore, one’s sideboard should be tweaked to cover this deck’s weakness. The following suggestions also include some other (semi)solutions against other decks.

Eyes of the Wisent – Nice stall against blue draw-go based decks.
Lignify – Brian David Marshal’s Gaddock Teeg counter and possible Elvish Champion solution.
Gilt-Leaf Ambush – Possibly Gaddock Teeg and Elves counter.
Seal of Primordium – Artifact/Enchantment hate.
Krosan Grip – Artifact/Enchantment hate.
Rootgrapple – Planeswalker counter.
Cloudthresher – Solves flyer problem. If you don’t mainboard him, he ‘should’ fine a place in sideboard.
Squall Line - Solves flyer problem. Can be a big burn spell too.
Quagnoth – Besides being beneficial against discard decks, he is also uncounterable in the current T2 and has shroud.
Spike Feeder – Helps stall aggro further.
Riftsweeper - Great SB card against Ancestrall Visions and Aeon Chronicler.
Scryb Ranger - Great SB card against Pickle decks. Has synergy with Spectral Force.
Pithing Needle - Stops planeswalkers, man-lands and especially story circle.

How to build a Power Glove deck

It takes awhile to understand how this deck functions, but once you’ve played it or seen someone play it, you will understand. To quote above, this deck accelerates the (un)conventional way. This means this deck does not want Llanowar elves or birds of paradise or any equivalent in it. It accelerates by placing forest in play which indirectly thins your deck of forest. Doing so will allow you to draw more creatures/spells and hopefully, hit that obnoxious mana to ‘kick’ your Verdeloth/wurmcalling/etc. A good template suggestion is 4 Search for Tomorrow, 4 Into the North and 4 Wall of Roots.

Next, you need to keep up with Card Advantage after playing all those accelerators. This can be done with draw spells like Harmonize, or tempo cards like Masked Admirers, etc. Hopefully early/mid game, you can cast your Gauntlet of Power for more mana.

Finally, you need a way to abuse your absurd amount of lands in play. This requires a good ‘finisher’ that can abuse absurd mana. The usual choice is Verdeloth, but other cards in the card choices section can also be played.
There are various ways of building this deck, and not only limited to what is stated above. Ideally, the idea of the deck is to accelerate via rampant growth effects into Gauntlet of Power and start going crazy. One can also go for a creature-toolbox version via Summoning Pact. Doing this allows you to find room for both Verdeloth, Cloudthresher and if you want, panglacial wurm.

Below I’ve included a sample decklist as a guide for people who still seem abit lost.

Sample Decklist #2 by Ryan Rusaw, 3rd Place finisher

[deck=Poorlash]
2*Mouth of Ronom
1*Scrying Sheets
21*Snow-covered Forest
4*Wall of Roots
4*Cloudthresher
4*Dauntless Dourbark
4*Masked Admirers
4*Verdeloth the Ancient
4*Garruk Wildspeaker
4*Gauntlet of Power
4*Into the North
3*Search for Tomorrow
1*Sprout Swarm
Sideboard
2*Krosan Grip
1*Primal Command
4*Quagnoth
4*Riftsweeper
4*Spike Feeder
[/deck]

G/x Splash
Due to the high flexibility of the deck in terms of card additions, this deck can include some colour splashes according to personal taste. Some players have already splashed red in the deck and it proved successful. Although this area has yet to be fully utilized/tested, it is worth mentioning some splashes that players have found useful.

splashes

Pyroclasm – A red splash for a sideboarded Pyroclasm allows you to fend off some early agro attackers,
Snow-Covered Mountain – This is used over a normal mountain in snow builds since all land tutors can find it (especially into the north).
Murmuring Bosk – Can be tutored (i.e Yavimaya Dryad) for a white/black splash. The white/black splashed card has yet to be found.

Sample Power Glove w/red Deck by shmafancy

[deck=Power Glove w/red]
20*Snow-covered forest
1*Mouth of Ronom
1*Snow-Covered Mountain
1*Scrying Sheets
4*Dauntless Dourbark
4*Harmonize
2*Primal Command
4*Cloudthresher
4*Gauntlet of Power
3*Verdeloth the Ancient
4*Tarmogoyf / Masked Admirers
4*Wall of roots
4*Search for tomorrow
4*Rampant growth
SB:
4*Pyroclasm
3*Lingify
2*Krosan Grip
4*Thorn of Amethyst
2*Razormane Masticore
[/deck]

Splashes are something that boils down to a player’s taste and personal preference. It is not essential to the archetype, but it is something that further expands the thrill of playing the deck.

*Special thanks goes out to posters prior pg 16, especially Gamester2488, shmafancy and khwajjie for contributions.
this T8'd in VA. looks really good
Does this mean it is [Official Archetype] status already?

ANNOUNCEMENT: If someone can post Flores' deck here, we all would really appreciate it.
Tekanan,

Wonder if you've looked at Magus of the Candelabra with this deck? I know its fragile and all, but it essentially triples your mana with a Gauntlet of Power in play.

Helps for a large(r) Verdeloth
Great suggestion. I've included it in the card choices section.
I'll go dig up Flores decklist from SCGPremium. This T8'ed TX states as well...

Artifacts
4 Gauntlet Of Power

Creatures
4 Cloudthresher
4 Dauntless Dourbark
4 Masked Admirers
4 Wall Of Roots

Instants
1 Sprout Swarm

Legendary Creatures
4 Verdeloth The Ancient

Planeswalkers
4 Garruk Wildspeaker

Sorceries
3 Into The North
4 Search For Tomorrow

Basic Snow Lands
21 Snow-covered Forest

Snow Lands
2 Mouth Of Ronom
1 Scrying Sheets

The decks only really poor match-up is the Elves! match-up, so finding a way to win that match (SB Lignify and Moonglow Extract maybe) would be FTW (taking care of Elvish Champion). Forestwalk is FTL.
wow...a mono green deck O_o

lemme test it and show my results

btw, how are the matchups?
The decks only really poor match-up is the Elves! match-up, so finding a way to win that match (SB Lignify and Moonglow Extract maybe) would be FTW (taking care of Elvish Champion). Forestwalk is FTL.

Lignify should solve elvish champion/forestwalk problem. I don't see how to beat Wren's run vanquisher though. Wall of Roots can't block a 3/3 with deathtouch... Perhaps this is where gilt-leaf ambush comes in?
btw, how are the matchups?

I don't have solid sources, so i dare not write them down. I did beat a mono-white control deck that splashes blue for card draw a few days ago.

Apparently the deck beats teaching-based decks... I do wonder how though.
1st, if they allow Gauntlet to resolve, you win. You can then power out more threats than they can deal with. 2nd, they only run so many counterspells (usually between 5-8) so eventually you are going to resolve something relevant.

I don't like Wall of Roots, although it gets +1 counters with Gauntlet. It just doesn't accelerate the mana well enough with Gauntlet for me to like it... I actually tested with the Hunting Wilds... that card is RIDICULOUS with a Gauntlet in play. It says Tap 4, get two 4/4 dudes that tap for GG each.
Here's my version of it.

land:
4 scrying sheets
2 mouth of ronom
2 treetop village
17 snow covered forest

creatures:
4 wall of roots
4 Verdeloth the Ancient
3 Masked Admirer
1 Jolrael, Empress of Beasts
3 Treefolk Harbinger
1 Magus of Candelabra
2 Allosaurus Rider

spells:
4 Gauntlet of Power
3 Harmonize
3 Mwonvulli Acid Moss
4 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Search for Tomorrow
2 Summoning Pact

sb:
2 Cloudthresher
2 Eyes of the Wisent
3 Quagnoth
3 krosan grip
5 ???
Here's my version of it.

land:
4 scrying sheets
2 mouth of ronom
2 treetop village
17 snow covered forest

creatures:
4 wall of roots
4 Verdeloth the Ancient
3 Masked Admirer
1 Jolrael, Empress of Beasts
3 Treefolk Harbinger
1 Magus of Candelabra
2 Allosaurus Rider

spells:
4 Gauntlet of Power
3 Harmonize
3 Mwonvulli Acid Moss
4 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Search for Tomorrow
2 Summoning Pact

sb:
2 Cloudthresher
2 Eyes of the Wisent
3 Quagnoth
3 krosan grip
5 ???

Treefolk harbinger seems slow here. I'd suggest playing 1 more set of accelerators too.

Notice: I've updated some of the card choices section
I cant beleive that no one has thought of Life and Limb! it should definitely go in this deck!
Every deck has its once-in-a-lifetime "high placing" and this is one of them.
It is too slow to compete in todays standard. Excluding the lucky T8 it got.
I cant beleive that no one has thought of Life and Limb! it should definitely go in this deck!

Nice idea. Another idea khwajjie suggested is to play Timber Protector, and splash red (GR snow land) for bust//boom. Of course, mwonvulli acid-moss would fit in that version better than dauntless dourbark.

There are alot of possibilities with this deck. The problem lies in trying to fit too many things at once.
The deck isn't actually that slow. It had quite a few T8's... not just one. The deck is powerful, which, in this rather slow format (show me a deck with a consistent turn 4 goldfish), is the most important feature.
The deck isn't actually that slow. It had quite a few T8's... not just one. The deck is powerful, which, in this rather slow format (show me a deck with a consistent turn 4 goldfish), is the most important feature.

I heard WW/g kithkin has a consistent T4 goldfish (which we can handle), but I get your point. :D

a good WW can win turn 4 with decent consistentsy. turn one stalwart, turn two cenn, turn three either cenn or militia's pride and make a token, turn 4 becomes lethal.
Updated the deck designer/developer abit and added in Ryan Rusaw's 3rd place finisher deck. Mike Flores reported that "a number of people posted some impressive Top 8 finishers in states" using this deck. This deck is definitely capable of finishing in high positions.
tested this deck quite a bit on the forbidden program. its good but it has heavy problems with elves (deathtouch, forestwalk) and faeries. if gauntlet of power is countered there's not much that can be done before the faeries beat face.
i would include Ryan Rusaw finished in SK, Canada Champs
So the real question is how to deal with forestwalk and other forms of evasion. Lignify deals with Gaddock Teeg, and some other problem cards (at sorcery speed). Cloudthresher deals with fliers. Do we have any answers to fear?
We do not have any answers to fear unless if we splash in phyrexian ironfoot, but that is not advisable.

The problem with elves (besides deathtouch) is the forestwalk, and this is mainly given to other elves by the elvish champion. I suggest sideboarding lignify as this not only solves teeg, but the elf champ too. So far that is all I can think of on how to deal with forest walking elves.

The deck might have a problem against UB faerie decks. :embarrass

Maybe Lignify is worth mainboarding according to a person's meta?

Btw, countering gauntlet of power is not a problem. The problem for guantlet lies in Ancient Grudge. With counters, you can play smart. Sometimes the gauntlet is not needed too. With ancient grudge on the other hand, you can be sure that the gauntlet will never see play. I'm not too worried about the ancient grudge, but if this deck becomes famous, people will sideboard it. Nevertheless, i doubt it will reach that popularity like how teaching-based decks did.
I suggest Primal Command. It is extremely good. It deals with teferi's moat, fetches a creatre, keeps you out of burn range, and all in one card. The winner of LA states was playing it in his GW Snow Control list, and it looked incredible.

EDIT: Does his deck even need Gauntlet? Also Hail storm is tech against the elves.
Every deck has its once-in-a-lifetime "high placing" and this is one of them.
It is too slow to compete in todays standard. Excluding the lucky T8 it got.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.
EDIT: Does his deck even need Gauntlet? Also Hail storm is tech against the elves.

It really depends on how you build the deck. In my sample list posted above, it does not really need gauntlet since I also play Yavi dryad as an acceletator. The gauntlet in that sample list serves its purpose as a "win faster" card that can get out of hand if not dealth with.

You don't really have to kick Verdeloth for an additional 18 mana. A kicked Verdeloth for 3-4 is already fine. When it dies (yes, it will die!), you just cast another verdeloth drawn from your card drawing spells like masked admirers or harmonize (if you play it).

Hailstorm needs testing. While it solves single elf lords (elf champ, imp pref), it doesn't solve multiples, and it especially does not solve forestwalking. It is a good suggestion nonetheless.
Where's the Ohran Viper?
Reworking the Maindeck some, Primal Command could be used to fetch Razormane Masticore. He'll kill an elf lord if you can survive the turn. As a bonus, he blocks deathtouch all day long
I really like this deck; it seems really awkward but it plays very well, match-ups have been good so far in testing. As perviously said Elves is a horrible match-up. We can't handle deathtouch and forestwalk. Other than that your threat generation is probably one of the best in the meta.

I'm playing Flores'/Rusaw's list and really like it; I think it's quite a resilient deck.
I'm playing Flores'/Rusaw's list and really like it; I think it's quite a resilient deck.

Can you please post up Flores' list? I would love to put it in the sample decklist section since it is the pioneer of Power Glove v2 (the first one was developed by them including brian kowal. It plays mwonvulli acid moss).

NOTE: I'll maintain the archetype to be called Power Glove since Flores, BDM and probably Brian Kowal used this term for the archetype. Poorlash is a nickname for Dauntless Dourbark given by Flores & BDM, and if it is recognised as a deckname by Flores & BDM themselves, I will change it. They, after all, pioneered the deck.
well the deck plays really well. as said earlier however, elves and faeries are generally bad match-ups. faeries because this deck taps out practically every turn to cast something big or utilize mana and rune snag rejoices. crushed mannequin.dec and goblins though. need to test against tarmo-rack to see if it holds.
Can you please post up Flores' list? I would love to put it in the sample decklist section since it is the pioneer of Power Glove v2 (the first one was developed by them including brian kowal. It plays mwonvulli acid moss).

NOTE: I'll maintain the archetype to be called Power Glove since Flores, BDM and probably Brian Kowal used this term for the archetype. Poorlash is a nickname for Dauntless Dourbark given by Flores & BDM, and if it is recognised as a deckname by Flores & BDM themselves, I will change it. They, after all, pioneered the deck.

It's the exact same as Ryan Rusaw's deck. I've only seen a couple versions of this deck so far: 1 from SASK, 1 from MAN, and 1 from Texas. According to Flores' article today 5 mono-green big mana decks appeared to have top 8ed. I haven't found the other 2 as I haven't looked through every region.

Ryan Rusaw's

21 Snow-Covered Forest
2 Mouth of Ronom
1 Scrying Sheets

4 Verdeloth the Ancient
4 Wall of Roots
4 Cloudthresher
4 Masked Admirers
4 Dauntless Dourbark
4 Gauntlet of Power

3 Search for Tomorrow
1 Sprout Swarm
4 Into the North
4 Garruk Wildspeaker

Sideboard

4 Spike Feeder
1 Primal Command
2 Krosan Grip
4 Riftsweeper
4 Quagnoth

Steven Gardiner's

13 Snow-Covered Forest
8 Forest
2 Mouth of Ronom
1 Scrying Sheets

4 Verdeloth the Ancient
4 Masked Admirers
3 Cloudthresher
4 Dauntless Dourbark
1 Spectral Force
4 Wall of Roots

4 Search for Tomorrow
3 Into the North
4 Gauntlet of Power
4 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Sprout Swarm

Sideboard

2 Krosan Grip
4 Spike Feeder
3 Lignify
2 Rootgrapple
4 Quagnoth

Will Lowry's

22 Forest

4 Verdeloth the Ancient
4 Yavimaya Dryad
4 Wall of Roots
4 Thelonite Hermit
4 Magus of the Library

4 Gauntlet of Power
2 Akroma's Memorial
4 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Lignify
4 Harmonize

Sideboard

2 Squall Line
3 Krosan Grip
1 Sprout Swarm
4 Scryb Ranger
2 Cloudthresher
1 Quagnoth
2 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
Okay. I'll keep Ryan Rusaw's list in the sample decklist. I like Steve Gardiner's spectral force and Lowry's memorial and hermit. The squall line seems like an interesting call too and check out his Mainboard Lignify!. I'll update the card choices section.

I will also add that currently, elves is a bad matchup.
I have changed the title to this thread. Every deck in DtB forum is an Archetype, so mentioning it in the title is redundant. I also understand that Flores&Co. called it Power Glove, but for the sake of people looking for poorlash I added it to the title in parenthesis. Thanks.
I have changed the title to this thread. Every deck in DtB forum is an Archetype, so mentioning it in the title is redundant. I also understand that Flores&Co. called it Power Glove, but for the sake of people looking for poorlash I added it to the title in parenthesis. Thanks.

Sure np. Can't deny a Mod's decision there.
Poorlash is a funnier name anyway.

Also, I don't see this having a bad matchup against faeries, not G1 anyway. Its about even if you're running the build with 4 Cloudthresher, 4 Masked Admirers, 4 Verdeloth, 4 Poorlash MD; that said, the sideboard of the deck has very little for Faeries whereas Faeries has a lot of cards which are effective against the deck. My testing results were 7-5-1, but I think that A) Poorlash messed up a few times that cost it games and B) It is a very unforgiving matchup.

EDIT: Nevermind. Approaching it with a new take on the matchup lead to 11-6-1, so I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I guess you were right after all. Its just weird the way you actually have to play against it.
This kinda reminds me of when I said Admirers where the best card in Elf machine. Someone realized how painful they are.
This kinda reminds me of when I said Admirers where the best card in Elf machine. Someone realized how painful they are.

Admirers remind me a lot of [CARD]Grave-Shell Scarab[/cARD], but they're actually seeing play because the format is a bit more sane now than it used to be.

That said, I think this deck uses them better than most green decks really can, simply because you have such absurd amounts of mana and because this is the -bottom- of your curve, rather than the top.
I've been toying with SBs because I really don't like Riftsweeper; I've been testing Gardiner's SB and like it better than Rusaw's. I think that Lignify is mandatory SB as green doesn't really have many other options.

Is call of the herd a decent replacement for Garruk? He's the only real wallet slaying rare in this deck.
Is call of the herd a decent replacement for Garruk? He's the only real wallet slaying rare in this deck.

Compared to Rock, the Wallet-slayers aren't really giving this deck a tough time. I recommend getting Masked Admirers quick since there's a slight possibility the price will go up.

As for Coth replacing Garruk, I don't recommend that. Garruk's +1: untap 2 lands also makes him very strong. With Gauntlet of Power in play, he becomes a semi-Rewind allowing you to go for the massive kicked Verdeloth. Next turn, Overrun. With that said, Garruk is indeed very strong and irreplacable. I've included 2 Garruks into my deck (only have 2, hence 2 of them in the list).
Sign In to post comments