Doran Doran

1201 posts / 0 new
Last post

WORLD CHAMPION 2007
Doran Doran

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/KSC2-303/doran.jpg)

What is Doran Doran?

Doran Doran is a GWB Aggro/Control deck that utilizes insanely powerful creatures (Doran, Tarmogoyf, and Ohran Viper), along with some of the best spells in Type Two (Oblivion Ring, Garruk Wildspeaker, and Profane Command) to beat face and win games.

How do you play Doran Doran?

To play Doran Doran correctly you have to treat the deck like an aggro deck that packs control elements so that it has a good late-game. In other words, start off with dudes early on, beat some face, and then play a Profane Command/Garruk to finish off your opponent.

IMAGE(http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku/WBG.gif)

Card Choices
Well, you might want some dudes, some spells, and some lands...so here you go:

Creatures
Show

Doran, the Siege Tower - Holy crap this guy is insane, he's the namesake of the deck BECAUSE he's a 5/5 for THREE!!! He turns your birds into flying men, 'goyf starts out as a 1/1 instead and Ohran Viper becomes a 3/3 shadowmage infiltrator...practically. :D

Tarmogoyf - My vote for the best green creature ever printed. Oh wait, that's what every other magic player ever voted too. >.<

Ohran Viper - Who doesn't like card-drawing on a 1/3 beater that kills anything it hits? I know the people I play against sure as hell don't. :D

Birds of Paradise - He mana-fixes, he accels you, and he turns sideways for 1 in the air while Doran's on the table. What more do you need from a 1cc creature?

Saffi Eriksdotter - Probably the best 2cc GW creature in type 2 once Lorwyn rotates (Gaddock is pretty good, but he's still only SB material in my eyes), she beats for 2 and can still sacrifice her beautiful butt to save your Doran!

Gaddock Teeq - Personally I find he's alright while tested in the MD, but I'd rather devote those slots to something that's good in most matchups versus only some matchups. I'd SB him obviously, but he's just not good enough for the MD unless your meta calls for it.

Other Spells
Show

Call of the Herd - I finally got my playset back from my buddy and lemme tell you, they immediately went into my proxied version of this deck, CotH gives the finger to WoG, as well as giving you pretty nicely costed beaters! This card = Card Advantage.

Garruk Wildspeaker - Arguably the best of the Planeswalkers, Garruk generates the most CA the easiest, giving you 3/3 elephants for only -1 Loyalty! He can also charge up for one turn to allow you an Overrun on the next. His +1 ability ain't too shabby either. :D

Thoughtseize - I used to think this card was worth maindecking, now I'd say probably SB as it just isn't worth the 2 damage against aggro usually.

Profane Command - Wow...just wow. This card does so much insane stuff it's kind of unbelievable Wizards would give black a card this powerful. See the New-Kokusho people, he's back in sorcery form and kicking more butt than ever!

Oblivion Ring - Was Swords to Plowshares good? Was Vindicate good? Then yes, Oblivion Ring is most DEFINITELY good.

Griffin Guide - It pumps up your guys and gives them flying. And when they die you get another flying dude. Welcome to the best creature-enhancement spell for this deck.

Lands
Show

Gilt-Leaf Palace - The Elven Raceland, this one might come in handy if you run Llanowars and Eyeblights.

Horizon Canopy - Pumps your 'goyf, draws you cards, and fixes your mana. Use this ridiculously good card, please.

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth - It makes all your lands swamps, what's not to love?

Gemstone Mine - Another land to pump your 'goyf, and it provides all the colors of the rainbow at no cost to you; life or otherwise.

Painlands - They help, use some if needed.

Some decklists for you to play with:
Uri Peleg's deck, 1st place at Worlds

Creature:

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Doran, the Siege Tower
1 Hypnotic Specter
3 Llanowar Elves
4 Ohran Viper
3 Shriekmaw
4 Tarmogoyf

Other Spells:

2 Eyeblight's Ending
2 Nameless Inversion
2 Profane Command
4 Thoughtseize
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Liliana Vess

Land:

1 Brushland
3 Caves of Koilos
1 Forest
2 Gemstone Mine
4 Gilt-Leaf Palace
1 Horizon Canopy
4 Llanowar Wastes
1 Pendelhaven
4 Treetop Village
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Thomas Graves' deck, 1st place Kentucky States
Land:

1 Swamp
2 Forest
2 Plains
3 Horizon Canopy
2 Flagstones of Trokair
3 Treetop Village
4 Gilt-Leaf Palace
2 Llanowar Wastes
1 Brushland
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Caves of Koilos

Creatures:

4 Doran, the Siege Tower
3 Saffi Eriksdotter
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Llanowar Elves
4 Ohran Viper

Other Spells:

3 Ajani Goldmane
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Nameless Inversion
4 Eyeblight's Ending
3 Edge of Autumn

SB:

4 Shriekmaw
4 Thoughtseize
3 Krosan Grip
4 Gaddock Teeg
Matt Beasley's deck, 2nd place Oregon States
Land:

4 Gilt-Leaf Palace
4 Horizon Canopy
4 Treetop Village
3 Llanowar Wastes
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Gemstone Mine
1 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Forest

Creatures:

4 Doran, the Siege Tower
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Shriekmaw
3 Saffi Eriksdotter
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Ohran Viper

Other Spells:

4 Nameless Inversion
4 Thoughtseize
3 Profane Command
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Slaughter Pact

Sideboard

3 Eyes of the Wisent
3 Spike Feeder
2 Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
2 Naturalize
3 Riftsweeper
2 Slaughter Pact
Nitzlepick's Deck

Land:-22

4x Horizon Canopy
3x Llanowar Wastes
3x Treetop Village
2x Caves of Koilos
2x Gemstone Mine
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4x Forest
2x Swamp
1x Plains

Creatures:-22

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Wall of Roots
4x Tarmogoyf
4x Ohran Viper
3x Doran, the Seige Tower
3x Saffi Eriksdotter

Spells:-16

4x Thoughtseize
4x Oblivion Ring
3x Griffin Guide
3x Profane Command
2x Garruk Wildspeaker
Shyune's Deck

Creatures
4 x Birds of Paradise
4 x Tarmogoyf
4 x Wall of Roots
4 x Ohran Viper
3 x Doran, The Siege Tower

Spells
4 x Oblivion Ring
3 x Crib Swap
3 x Glittering Wish
3 x Garruk Wildpseaker
3 x Harmonize
2 x Profane Command

Lands
4 x Horizon Canopy
4 x Llanowar Wastes
3 x Treetop Village
3 x Caves of Koilos
3 x Forest
2 x Urborg
2 x Plains
1 x Gemstone mine
1 x Swamp
Momo's Decklist

// Lands
10 [UNH] Forest
4 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
4 [WL] Gemstone Mine
3 [10E] Treetop Village
2 [10E] Forbidding Watchtower
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Birds of Paradise
4 [LOR] Treefolk Harbinger
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [CS] Ohran Viper
4 [LOR] Doran, the Siege Tower
4 [LOR] Shriekmaw

// Spells
4 [LOR] Thoughtseize
3 [OD] Call of the Herd
3 [LOR] Oblivion Ring
2 [LOR] Garruk Wildspeaker
Island's List

Land:

3 Swamp
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Brushland
4 Horizon Canopy
4 Gemstone Mine
2 Forbidding Watchtower
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Creatures:

4 Tarmogoyf
4 Saffi
4 Doran, the Siege Tower
4 Korlash
2 Shriekmaw
1 Cloudthresher

Other Spells:

4 Thoughtseize
4 Nameless Inversion
4 Griffin Guide
3 Tendrils of Corruption
3 Profane Command
Flaming Chicken's List
22 Lands
4 Horizon Canopy
4 Llanowar Wastes
3 Treetop Village
2 Caves of Koilos
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Plains

18 Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wall of Roots
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Doran, the Siege Tower
2 Nath of the Gilt-Leaf

20 Spells
4 Thoughtseize
4 Oblivion Ring
3 Eyeblight's Ending
2 Slaughter Pact
3 Harmonize
1 Profane Command
2 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Liliana Vess

SB (Tentative)
4 Eyes of the Wisent
4 Deathmark
3 Gaddock Teeg
2 Damnation
2 Extirpate
Dakken's List
Land:

4x Horizon Canopy
3x Gilt-Leaf Palace
2x Caves of Koilos
4x Gemstone Mine
3x Forest
1x Swamp
1x Plains

Creatures:

3x Doran, the Siege Tower
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Ohran Viper
3x Saffi Eriksdotter
4x Tarmogoyf

Other Spells:

4x Oblivion Ring
3x Profane Command
2x Garruk Wildspeaker
4x Thoughtseize
2x Eyeblight's Ending
4x Call of the Herd

Special Thanks To:
KSC for the sweet logo.
Hodoku, for the fantastic post blueprint.
And everyone else that helped bring this baby together and post some decklists.

peace
I'm glad someone else finally noticed the way Forbidding Watchtower is gonna rock with this dude. As is Deadwood Treefolk, Heartwood Storyteller, etc.
And that other treefolk that costs 5 and has some spicy abilities? I believe tribal is going to be insane post-lorwyn...

I won't lie to you, this set is already better than ravnica and timespiral combined...my god this is going to be such a sweet set. :D

peace

Edit: Also I can't take responsibility for noticing the Watchtower, that was Simbacca, at least that's where I heard about it first.
Hey this was one of the points of my thread . If posting a decklist there will make it more obvious, then I will get on creating one shortly (though I am at work now). This should be interesting.
well, you're probably going to want a couple Summoner's Pact or commune with nature to make sure you find him
I think this guy belongs in more of a rock type deck rather than a big butt deck. this, tarmo, wall of roots, teeg, more critters and a disrupion package should make a good deck without putting cards that are only good when he is out.
I think this guy belongs in more of a rock type deck rather than a big butt deck. this, tarmo, wall of roots, teeg, more critters and a disrupion package should make a good deck without putting cards that are only good when he is out.

well, my hope is that a few more solid treefolk come through (though we already have 4 great ones). But I see no point in constructing a deck until I know what those are.
I also like how doran will give you're tarmo that extra one power when he's out. I had some misgivings about a tribal set, but they are rapidly melting away.
Ummm guys...
Lignify 1g
Tribal Enchantment - Treefolk Aura Common
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature becomes a 0/4 Treefolk with no abilities.

Ya, w/ Doran out, you get a 4/4...
Even better when they terror your creature, then pull this out!
Sheesh, already decklists going up?

Anyway, in my humble opinion, the best Doran deck is going to include creatures that are good without him, and yet get a slight power boost with him in play. Tarmogoyf and Ohran Viper come to mind, as was mentioned in the article. Possible Forbidding Watchtower since it's a land. Anyway, my point is that if Doran gets removed, all of your Ornithopters and Llanowar Augers are crap. So I wouldn't run them. =\ Yeah, you'll get that turn 3-4 kill occasionally, but I think you're losing a lot of consistency when half of your creatures are nooblets without big treefolk man in play.

Actually a green/white aggro deck with a splash of black is what I would run. Tarmogoyf, Ohrah Viper, Birds of Paradise, that new Lorwyn Kithkin that prevents 4cc+ non-creature spells from being played, and Saffi Eriksdotter to protect both creatures. Throw in some 5/5 Wall of Roots :D and maybe some Glittering Wish and you're good to go. Actually, this guy would be perfect in Project-X (If only Crypt Champion wasn't rotating)
why not Liliana, sry for spelling, the black planeswalker? she could help tutor for much needed cards? havn't seen the green one yet...so don't really know what he does.
You should really call the deck 'Doran Doran'
why not Liliana, sry for spelling, the black planeswalker? she could help tutor for much needed cards? havn't seen the green one yet...so don't really know what he does.

Garruk Spoiler
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56344&d=1188810950

peace
How is this a Pre-Archetype? Nobody will play 3 color decks after rav. Pick up your things and think of a better idea.
How is this a Pre-Archetype? Nobody will play 3 color decks after rav. Pick up your things and think of a better idea.

Wrong.

But good try. :D

peace

Edit: Because there are dualies in Lorwyn...
Wrong.

But good try. :D

peace

Sorry about my "tude" but most people say at my card shop and "links" say that 3 color is pretty much dead with the rotation of the shocklands. What do I know.:P
^I think the deck will be WGb...mainly splash for Doran, Tendrils, Urobrg and "something cute"
Some other options (and bear in mind I'm just throwing these out there):
Courier Hawk
Mesa Enchantress
Kobold Taskmaster (with Kher Keep)
Magus of the Moat
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Skyhunter Prowler
Uncle Istivan
Penumbra Spider
Scragnoth
Quagnoth
Dream Stalker
Scarwood Treefolk
Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore
Wall of Air

...hmm...Doran looks pretty cool...but it works on opponent's creatures too.
to bad kami of old stone left in 9th
this guy is better than llanowar augur.
Just throwing these out there. In all likelyhood there Will be 3 and 4 color decks still thanks to these lands.

Secluded Glen (tribal duels)

Land Rare
As Secluded Glen comes into play, you may reveal a Faerie card from you hand. If you do, Secluded Glen comes into play untapped. Otherwise, it comes into play tapped.
{T}: Add {U} or {B} to your mana pool.

Shimmering Grotto

Land Common
{T}: Add 1 to your mana pool.
1, {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
"Bunnies are not the only denizens of this grotto."

Vivid Creek(new better tendo ice bridge)

Land Uncommon
Vivid Creek comes into play tapped with 2 storage counters.
{T}: Add {U} to your mana pool.
Remove a storage counter from Vivid Creek, {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
My take on it:

New Card

Treefolk Harbinger
Creature – Treefolk Shaman
When Treefolk Harbinger comes into play, search your library for a Treefolk or Forest card and reveal it, then shuffle your library and put it on top of your library.
0/3
Looking at the Lorwyn previews over at MTGS;

Lignify (1 Tribal Enchantment-Treefolk Enchant Creature; Enchanted Creature becomes a 0/4 treefolk with no abilities) (SUCK IT Sleeper Agent!)

Battlewand Oak (2 Creature - Treefolk Warrior Whenever a Forest comes into play under your control, Battlewand Oak gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Whenever you play a Treefolk spell, Battlewand Oak gets +2/+2 until end of turn. 1/3)

Springjack Knight (2 Creature - Kithkin Knight Whenever Springjack Knight Attacks, clash with an opponent. If you win, target creature gains double strike until end of turn. (Each clashing player reveals the top card of his or her library then puts that card on the top or bottom. A player wins if his or her card had a higher converted mana cost) 2/1)

EDIT:

Also; read the flavor text for Goldmeadow Harrier. XD
I made a pretty thread. The watchtower is insane.
I could copy the good stuff 2 my thread and compile it all. Why no wall of roots?
just curious, and i could be wrong, doesn't a pre-archetype mean its had success at fnms/loca tourtaments etc. that ebing said...how is it a pre-archetype lol, it was just preveiwed
Thats what I was thinking... anyways I have a decklist up and running next door. Fell free to check it out.
I could copy the good stuff 2 my thread and compile it all. Why no wall of roots?

Consider your thread is the third, this is the second, and mine was the first, perhaps I could both of yours into mine

to bad kami of old stone left in 9th
this guy is better than llanowar augur.

Yeah if people actually used the first thread created for this purpose, they would of acutually seen that already.
Consider your thread is the third, this is the second, and mine was the first, perhaps I could both of yours into mine

Does it really matter that much to u? Im just trying to be constructive not steal fame...
No offense, but why is this a Pre-Archetype when it hasn't even won a single tournament?

I thought (Pre)Archetype status is only achieved when the deck wins some tournaments?

It seems that there are alot of confusion among what the Archetype status means. I tend to lean towards the OP's interpretion of Archetype status (if you are coherent with me), but alot of ppl think otherwise.

Just a note. =D

p/s: anyway, the archetype seems more of a Rock Aggro build.
No offense, but why is this a Pre-Archetype when it hasn't even won a single tournament?

I thought (Pre)Archetype status is only achieved when the deck wins some tournaments?

It seems that there are alot of confusion among what the Archetype status means. I tend to lean towards the OP's interpretion of Archetype status (if you are coherent with me), but alot of ppl think otherwise.

Just a note. =D

p/s: anyway, the archetype seems more of a Rock Aggro build.

A pre archetype is an idea that has gotten enough hype to get enough feed back to compile deck lists and make it truly tournement worthy if it isn't.
mtgsalvation.com has posted some more spoilers, rejoice jace is not as broken as some feared it to be. Also there are some more support spells that go good with doran as well as a land that lets you pick a card from your top four cards, remove from the game face down, and then, if you have at least 10 power on the board pay one green and tap it to play the face down rfg card for free. Could be a way to play expensive spells like akroma fast and cheaply.
mtgsalvation.com has posted some more spoilers, rejoice jace is not as broken as some feared it to be. Also there are some more support spells that go good with doran as well as a land that lets you pick a card from your top four cards, remove from the game face down, and then, if you have at least 10 power on the board pay one green and tap it to play the face down rfg card for free. Could be a way to play expensive spells like akroma fast and cheaply.

Jace not being insane? It mills them by letting them draw an extra card and it adds up until you use the -10 ability and get rid of 20 cards! Then they die cause they can't draw...it's actually insanely well designed.

But yeah, THIS deck will be even better. :D

peace
Mosswort Bridge looks completely awesome (not just its art, but its ability too);

Land Rare
Hideaway (This land comes into play tapped. When it does, look at the top 4 cards of your library, remove one from the game face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.)
{T}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
{G},{T}: You may play the removed card without paying its mana cost if creatures you control have a total power of 10 or greater.
Illus. Jeremy Jarvis

EDIT: Multicolor is dead my TAILBONE.
Sorry about my "tude" but most people say at my card shop and "links" say that 3 color is pretty much dead with the rotation of the shocklands. What do I know.:P

To bad mtgsalvation.com has spoiled some rare lands coming up in lorwyn ;)
Mosswort Bridge looks completely awesome (not just its art, but its ability too);

Land Rare
Hideaway (This land comes into play tapped. When it does, look at the top 4 cards of your library, remove one from the game face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.)
{T}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
{G},{T}: You may play the removed card without paying its mana cost if creatures you control have a total power of 10 or greater.
Illus. Jeremy Jarvis

EDIT: Multicolor is dead my TAILBONE.

actually that sucks balls in this deck, all we care about is toughness
i think the best build for this deck will end up being the one that only runs cards that are good, just better with doran (eg. birds). it won't be the one that can abuse him the most. just my 2 cents...
i think the best build for this deck will end up being the one that only runs cards that are good, just better with doran (eg. birds). it won't be the one that can abuse him the most. just my 2 cents...

Oh...So you're saying my list is the most optimal version...Thanks!
I was thinking

4x Treefolk Harbinger
2x Doran, the Siege Tower
2x Heartwood Storyteller
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Wall of Wood
2x Saffi Eriksdotter
4x Tarmogoyf
1x Gaddock Teeg
1x Timber Protector

4x Lignify
1x Muraganda Petroglyphs
4x Glittering Wish
2x Garruk Wildspeaker

4x Forbidding Watchtower
4x Glimmering Grotto
2x Brushland
4x Llanowar Wastes
2x Swamp
5x Forest
1x Plains

Not sure on sideboard. If your running Lignify, running Muraganda Petroglyphs is obvious, making the treefolk 2/6s. it has dissynergy with Timber Protector, but running only 1 of each pretty much makes sure you only run into one of them per game.
Oh...So you're saying my list is the most optimal version...Thanks!

Where is this "most optimal version" that I have yet to see ZoD? :D

peace
Sign In to post comments