"Instant Soup Mix" [Official Jhoira Thread]

764 posts / 0 new
Last post

Instant Soup Mix
IMAGE(http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/FUT/en-us/Card136194.jpg)
IMAGE(http://mi.wizards.com/global/images/magic/plc/aeon_chronicler.jpg)IMAGE(http://mi.wizards.com/global/images/magic/plc/detritivore.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d62/OMFGPIE/RU_Divider.gif)

What is Instant Soup Mix?
Instant Soup Mix is a deck that uses Jhoira of the Ghitu to suspend powerful creatures and spells while keeping your mana open to control the board and protect your win conditions. It uses creatures like Aeon Chronicler and Detritivore that are best when held in suspension, creatures like Deep-Sea Kraken and Greater Gargadon that can shrug off 4 counters quickly, and spells like Time Stretch that are even better when played during your upkeep without tapping out. Many versions of ISM exist, with the most popular being a midrange aggro-control build and a draw-go style control build. Which build is optimal has yet to be decided, but all of them can be very competitive.

How do I play Instant Soup Mix?
Well that all depends on which version you choose to play, but all versions have some key similarities. The most important is that you do not play Jhoira when you cannot back her up. Few creatures have a bigger target on their foreheads than this beauty. If this means waiting until you have counterspell backup or simply until you can suspend 1 or 2 spells before she dies, that is much better than losing her immediately. The other important aspect of this deck is balance. You have to find a balance between Jhoira's suspenders and the support of the rest of the deck, whatever that support may be.

Card Choices
Creatures
The Meat
Cup Cakes-the centerpiece of the deck
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir-With Tef and Jhoira out, this deck becomes nigh-unstoppable
Arcanis the Omnipotent-Suspend him via Jhoira or hardcast him EOT with Teferi out, either way he's an amazing card draw engine
Creatures to Suspend
Aeon Chronicler-You can now spend to get the amount of draws that you would have previously had to spend for
Detritivore-Like Chronicler, only uncounterable land destruction
Deep-Sea Kraken-With only 4 counters this guy should be unsuspending in no time
Greater Gargadon
Nihilith
Tidespout Tyrant
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Reya Dawnbringer
Numot, the Devastator and other dragon legends
Shivan Hellkite
Platinum Angel
Kaervek the Merciless-Everyone plays spells
Denizen of the Deep
Support Creatures
Vedalken Aethermage-Tutors for Jhoira, Teferi, Arcanis, and some of Jhoira's targets
Venser, Shaper Savant-Saves your permanents, "counters" spells, or returns your Chronicler/Detritivore for more suspended fun
Willbender-"Counters" those pesky split second spells
Jhoira's Timebug-Can be useful as it gets your suspended creatures out faster. But without anything suspended this is a pretty useless creature
Rift Elemental-Like Timebug in that it manipulates time counters, but this can also swing for some pretty good damage. Again, not useful without suspended spells
Shivan Sand-Mage
Timebender

Other Spells
Counters/Bounce
Delay-This is a hard counter if you have Teferi out, and it can be used to counter your own Chronicler or Detritivore for more suspended fun
Pact of Negation-Surprise counter when you're tapped out. Just don't forget the upkeep
Rune Snag
Cancel
Flashfreeze
Time Stop
Unsummon
Boomerang
Wipe Away
Burn
Incinerate
Psionic Blast
Riddle of Lightning-With lots of high cc spells, this can often finish your opponent
Beacon of Distruction
Molten Disaster
Spells to Suspend
These spells can be abused with Jhoira or simply fit well in the deck
Time Stretch-2 extra turns is always good. And if you can suspend another one of these or play a Twincast as it resolves, you're looking at a lot of successive turns
Arc Blade-With Timebug and Rift Elemental, you can manipulate this so it goes off whenever you need it. Also, recurring damage for free is good.
Reality Strobe-See above. This and Arc Blade can be great together to disrupt your opponent's board.
Pandemonium-Stack unsuspended spells so this comes out first, followed immediately by a few big creatures to end the game.

Other Info
Protecting Jhoira
The main problem with this deck is that Jhoira is extremely easy to kill with only 2 toughness. Most burn and mass removal can simply be countered, but other spells are harder to deal with, particularly Sudden Shock, Sudden Death, and Molten Disaster. Removal without split second is easy enough to work around by countering the spell or simply suspending whatever big creatures are in your hand at the time. There are a few ways to deal with the split second spells:
1) Increase Jhoira's toughness: There are numerous ways to permanently increase your creature's toughness in standard right now, although this only affects Molten Disaster by making it cost more.
2) Willbender: An easy and cheap way to deal with Sudden Shock and Sudden Death, although this doesn't affect Molten Disaster.
3) Make Jhoira untargettable: Veilstone Amulet and Whispersilk Cloak are the first cards that come to mind here. Again, this doesn't deal with Molten Disaster.
4) Extirpate: So they kill one Jhoira. You have 3 more waiting, and now they can never play that spell again. However, this only works in a R/U/b version.
5) Don't worry about it: If this deck is built well, it can still win consistently without ever seeing a Jhoira. Including too many cards simply to protect her could hinder your deck greatly. So perhaps leaving it to fate is the best option here.

Sample Decklists
Deck Ideas
Jhoira Control: This deck would be a basic deck that uses Jhoira alongside Teferi, Aeon Chronicler and Detritivore to control the game. Other cards would include Vedalken Aethermages/Mystical Teachings for tutoring, some burn and support spells, and counters to protect your pieces and help control the board. Wins with Teferi, Chronicler, and Detritivore, along with one or two other finishers.
Midrange Jhoira: This deck uses the necessary pieces then fills the rest of the deck with creatures and other spells that disrupt your opponent's game and win quickly. This can use the PC Dragons, Mindleech Mass, Deep-Sea Kraken, and others that simply own your opponent once they're in play.
Jhoira/Pandemonium Combo: This deck uses Jhoira to suspend a Pandemonium along with a couple of big hitters like Greater Gargadon. Uses Timebugs to ensure that they come out on the same turn even if they're suspended on different turns. When everything unsuspends, stack spells so Pandemonium comes out first, followed by big creatures to deal a lot of damage.

These are only a few possible deck ideas. The deck can take multiple directions, so find the one that suits you and your meta best.
A Teferi controlled by an opponent could cause trouble for this deck.

Also, Jhoira is a bit vulnerable to removal eh? But I guess if you're playing draw-go and holding counters you should be alright. Just watch out for sudden shocks.
This does look to have potential. I wanted to picked up 2 jhoira's from the pre-release but I couldnt get anyone to trade them over.
VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
Personally, I find that Jhoira seems to have the most potential in a deck utilizing both Detritivore and Aeon Chronicler, in fact, Paradox Haze might even be useful, if you really get down to it, this deck can do ALOT to screw with people...I'm gunna have to start working on this one soon! :D

peace
Aeon Chronicler's new friend, for sure.

I love how Jhoira let's you play off-color Suspend cards, too.
1-of Roiling Horror?

Or use alternate suspend ability cards like Nihilith and Deep-Sea Kraken to get them into play faster.

PS: I dig the art. Usually, I don't like this style of drawing, but this one is so captivating. Way to go, Kev Walker.
now we need bombs... since they don't have to be on colored we can bring the biggest badest stuff in standard

i'll try to come up with some soon

in no particular order

1.storm herd
2.verdant force
3.curse of the cabal meh
4.garza,zol plauge queen meh again
5. dragon cycle Numot, the Devastator,Intet, the Dreamer, etc
6. nephilim cycle Dune-Brood Nephilim

i didn't spend much time on this
she will work better in more blue/red izzetron type burn decks.

rather than in drahlnu style decks.

time will tell.
Hero's Remembered with Storm Herd would be nice but of course KKK will kill them all (sry I just had to do that...>.< I swear i'm not racist I have a color TV)
Dont forget that there r a bunch of spells that remove time counters from time spiral and planar chaos gonna take some time to get a good build for her though but looking forward to some johnny's to make some good decks im not much of a johnny myself though
Utilizing this card can create the ultimate draw-go deck (possibly better than dralnu) in which the only time you tap mana during your own turn is when you play Jhoira or when you counter your opponent's instants.

by patterning it to dralnu, i'm guessing that the deck has a lot of counters. you're going to need quite a bit of mana before you can get jhoira out and protect her effectively while holding off opposing threats. dunno. it seems a bit slow and difficult to pull off.
by patterning it to dralnu, i'm guessing that the deck has a lot of counters. you're going to need quite a bit of mana before you can get jhoira out and protect her effectively while holding off opposing threats. dunno. it seems a bit slow and difficult to pull off.

You mean like how DDL waits till it can EOT Teferi, and then eventually EOT into something else? Yeah...pretty difficult i'd say...

peace

This is true of any control deck with a big finisher. If needed, simply control the board until you can safely play Jhoira with mana to back her up. Or if necessary, you can always wait to drop Teferi first, followed by Jhoira next turn (with at least 2 extra mana to suspend something right away).
This is true of any control deck with a big finisher. If needed, simply control the board until you can safely play Jhoira with mana to back her up. Or if necessary, you can always wait to drop Teferi first, followed by Jhoira next turn (with at least 2 extra mana to suspend something right away).

In this scenierio couldn't you EOT suspend somthing as well since your creature has flash or could you anyway cuz of Jhoira's ability
In this scenierio couldn't you EOT suspend somthing as well since your creature has flash or could you anyway cuz of Jhoira's ability

Yes you could. That's what I meant by "with at least 2 extra mana to suspend something right away." You could flash in Jhoira, then suspend something immediately.
Suspending Bogardan Hellkite or a Krosan Cloudscrapper 4th turn and bringing back into play at turn 5-6 sounds really good.
This deck seems intresting and i like it, i saw a deck on here acouple of days ago that people forgot about it looks like and it uses the recurring suspend cards Reality strobe and Arc blade with Paradox Haze and i think that you could add some paradox hazes to make things come out faster like if you have two paradox hazes out then thats three time counters off during your up keep....just a tought and that somthing i would like to do.
Another thing i saw was using firemane angle with zurs wierding only because you have three upkeeps so...you gain three life times the number of firemanes on the field or in the gravyard....^.^
Anyways the deck seems like it has amazing potential to me and keep up the good work
I'm also thinking of playing stuff like Riftmaked Knight, Greater Gardadon or even the 2 Akromas! She can be a real game-defining card to own. She might even be one of the Future Sight's "Decks to Beat" in the... er, future. :D
i have a question about Djinn Illuminatus, when hes on the field and a suspended card comes into play is the suspended cards mana cast 0 or is it the actualy mana the card cost?
i have a question about Djinn Illuminatus, when hes on the field and a suspended card comes into play is the suspended cards mana cast 0 or is it the actualy mana the card cost?

The mana cost is the one on the right-topmost side of the card. It's still there, just think of it as playing an alternate cost by suspending the card.
The mana cost is the one on the right-topmost side of the card. It's still there, just think of it as playing an alternate cost by suspending the card.

yea i know....i was just wondering if you could replicate stuff alot...that would be fun lol....but oh well.
Also another guy i would like to add in here is shivan-sand mage, but i dont know how much you need him, but i dont think you need him at all if your running paradox haze which i think would make this deck amazing and fast.
two Paradox hazes in play and when you play Arc Blade or Reality Strobe they come into play and then get suspended again and then next turn they come into play and then get suspended again...that just cool to me
here's what i'm thinking:

===19===
4 jhoria
3 teferi
2 akroma, wrath
3 aeon chronicler
3 vadelcan aethermage
3 timebug
1 niv-mizzet (with all the card draw, he can do some serious damage, plus a 4/4 that can block or swing in)

===18===
4 remand
4 delay
4 rune snag
4 rewind
2 paradox haze

===23===
4 steam vents
4 shivan reef
15 islands

===SB===
4 arc blade
4 reality strobe
4 elecrolize
1 aethermage
1 timebug
1 deep-sea kraken
No love for Deep-Sea Kraken?
Lotus bloom seem like a good choice here...turn one suspend it and then turn three you can play her and have counter mana from the lotus?....i dont know...im still working it out...
im probably going to build the deck that uses paradox haze and firemane with the wierding....and the MD arc blades and Reality strobes ...it seems the most fun to be and a quite viable deck, maybe add another color either black or white. i dont know why but ill check into it im to tired right now tomorrow at school ill jot some stuff down when i have time and brainstorm.
I have added some ideas for decks in the first post, although no decklists yet. I hope to have up one or two generic lists tomorrow. Happy constructing!
here's what i'm thinking:

===19===
4 jhoria
3 teferi
2 akroma, wrath
3 aeon chronicler
3 vadelcan aethermage
3 timebug
1 niv-mizzet (with all the card draw, he can do some serious damage, plus a 4/4 that can block or swing in)

===18===
4 remand
4 delay
4 rune snag
4 rewind
2 paradox haze

===23===
4 steam vents
4 shivan reef
15 islands

===SB===
4 arc blade
4 reality strobe
4 elecrolize
1 aethermage
1 timebug
1 deep-sea kraken

The only card draw is Aeon Chronicler, who hopefully is beating for you by the time you play Niv. Why play a 1-of on the off-chance that a 3-of might be making the rounds? And why are you playing Vedalken Aethermage? At least I think that's what you're playing. And Azorius Aethermage, the other choice, doesn't work with the deck at all. I would drop those and play more time manipulation (the other two Paradox Haze, and perhaps Timecrafting or perhaps another counterspell). Or play some non-Aeon Chronicler card draw like Foresee or Compulsive Research.
Vedalken Aethermage, hes used for tutoring for your wizards depending on which ones you run. i think mystical teaching would be better though but you cant get the Jhoira unless teferi's out on the field with teachings.
Vedalken Aethermage, hes used for tutoring for your wizards depending on which ones you run. i think mystical teaching would be better though but you cant get the Jhoira unless teferi's out on the field with teachings.

Oh, I see. Didn't notice the Wizardcycling feature at the bottom. Another tool for Mono Blue Wizards...lol. :D I'm starting to feel like I should just build one of those decks and get it over with...
okay then, so instead of niv, we could add another time bug, since you're so keen on putting in something to manage the counters, and instead of a timebug in the SB, there could be something else, like a timecrafting, or another chronicler, or kraken

and what would you take out to put in more counters, or card draw?
You mean like how DDL waits till it can EOT Teferi, and then eventually EOT into something else? Yeah...pretty difficult i'd say...

peace

after EOT teferi, DDL casts batman some time after. from there, within 3-4 turns DDL usually wins. with jhoira you'd be casting her after teferi, THEN suspending spells. it would be at least 3 turns before you get a big win condition. that's why i think it's slow.
acceleration and color filtering could speed this up a bit. I'm thinking seething song and chromatic star. suspend something nasty and protect IT forget about Jihoria and if thet fails try again later(but a 3rd or 4th turn akroma red sounds quite lovely to me)
Oh, I see. Didn't notice the Wizardcycling feature at the bottom. Another tool for Mono Blue Wizards...lol. :D I'm starting to feel like I should just build one of those decks and get it over with...

Rofl. I think we all have that little itch in the back of our heads to put together a wizard deck...some of us manage to fight it off, but DAMN it's one hell of a battle.

peace
2 time counters is exactly how many a Fury Charm removes. For 4 mana you can cast anything in the deck. With Rite of Flame you can cast her second turn. With a Rite to Seething Song you can cast her then suspend something.

If she sticks then you can rock out a Heroes Remembered for 2 mana, 4 if you have a fury charm. And 4 mana for 20 life is nothing to scoff at. Take that Martyr of Sands!
In the "Protecting Jhoira" section, would it be worth it to mention Venerian Glimmer? For , you'd be able to rip all of those annoying split second kill spells from thier hand, as well as getting a peek at what's to come.
So its me again...

In my never-ending quest to break Warp World, I have found Jhoira and I love her. She could be just what I've been looking for.

Suspend a Warp World, and just before it goes off, ramp up your perm count to force out Bogardan Hellkite or other fun stuff!!!

Jhoira of the Ghitu (combo)
Warp World (combo)
Hunted Phantasm/storm up for Empty the Warrens (up perm count)
Bogardan Hellkite (win-con)
+
Card Draw
Counters
Accel
+
Timebender
Jhoira's Timebug
Shivan Sand-Mage

Maybe...

Please, open-minded criticism only
could this deck possibly be three colors? or is it better off at two?....i like it two colors makes it more together and intacted that three but i was just wondering for some possibilitys
I was postig in other treads and i saw Chronozoa and i was like. "How could i forget about that card!"
what do yall think of Chronozoa in the paradox haze version deck

I too am a big fan of Warp World, but I think a deck built around it needs to use it effectively every game. I think only 5 creatures that can kill your opponent the same turn you play WW is too few and far between. This has the potential of helping your opponent more than yourself when you play WW. I like the idea though.
could this deck possibly be three colors? or is it better off at two?....i like it two colors makes it more together and intacted that three but i was just wondering for some possibilitys

Jhoira could very possibly be a 3-color deck. I think R/U/B or R/U/W would be best, but R/U/G could be possible too.
I was postig in other treads and i saw Chronozoa and i was like. "How could i forget about that card!"
what do yall think of Chronozoa in the paradox haze version deck

Chronozoa seems good in Haze decks, but I've found that the lack of haste hurts a lot. With one Haze out, 'Zoa takes 2 turns to double itself, which gives your opponent a lot of chances to get rid of it. With 2 Hazes, you double your 'Zoas every turn, but they can never attack. So you end up with infinite blockers until you or someone else destroys one of your Hazes. And a single resolved Wrath shuts you down completely.
still working and testing the deck, ive decided to go more dranlu since it gives mrore support, basically you run the mystical teachings engine, then pull out your bombs , ill post soon.

Chronozoa seems good in Haze decks, but I've found that the lack of haste hurts a lot. With one Haze out, 'Zoa takes 2 turns to double itself, which gives your opponent a lot of chances to get rid of it. With 2 Hazes, you double your 'Zoas every turn, but they can never attack. So you end up with infinite blockers until you or someone else destroys one of your Hazes. And a single resolved Wrath shuts you down completely.
hmm yea i didnt notice that, thanks alot.
yea the Jhoira deck i want to run uses Hazes, firemanes/ Quite disrepair, Arc blade, and reality srobe, oh and zurs wierding. those are the cards i want to use in the deck i wanna build so, if anyone has any pointers go ahead
what happens if you use her to suspend a card with X in the casting cost???
IMAGE(http://i52.tinypic.com/wakcd2.png)
i think it comes into play and then nothing happens....the X is zero i think....im not sure though
Sign In to post comments