Are there any intelligent spelljamming ships ?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
if so, in which book

I need it for my PS campaign

thanks
There are no such things that I have knowlege of or reference to in any of my spelljammer tomes (well save the spelljammer itself), but I suppose it would be theoritically poissible. An intelligent artifact powering an artifice helm ought to do the trick without bending the ideas much.
-I created a Homebrew Spelljammer Helm that is intelligent. It's very minimal, though. Basically, when the Wizard operating it activates the helm, he/she (so far, a she) feels the Helm's presence in her mind. She communicates to it, and it obeys. So, for example, when she is ready to activate the Helm, and fly away, she mentally commands the sentience of the vessel. It's very minimal, like I said.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
Not Spelljamming per se, but the Princess Ark, featured in "the Voyage of the Princess Ark" series for Mystara which ran in Dragon years ago, was a flying ship (also space worthy) that gained intelligence when it was (permanently) merged with a Sky-Wyrm, an air elemental creature.

Havard
Another way to get an intelligent ship is this way.

from the liveship traders trilogy by Robin Hobb.

the ships are made of a wood that becomes sentint after some time and gains magical powers.
watch a movie called "Event Horizon"

there's your intelligent ship.

IMAGE(http://fantomplanet.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/event_horizon_ver1.jpg)
thank you all

now I have a lot more ideas for my pirate astral fleets
TRy this this is what I have been able to figure out about the wizardwood in the books by Robin Hobb, in Ad&d terms.

Wizardwood

Quicken of Wizardwood.

The quickening of Wizardwood takes place in different stages according to the size of the object made. The first step when the Wizardwood tree is cut down is that the wood has to be cured. Curing takes place by leaving the Wizardwood to dry for 2d20 days, the number of pieces of the Wizard wood will determine the quickening time. Wizardwood being a magical living tree before being cut down has no sentient awareness, but the curing process is the factor that gives Wizardwood sentient awareness. Wizardwood wood pieces while this quickening is taking place still has the original abilities of the Wizardwood tree. The way the quickening takes place is when two or more pieces, (that are cured), the magical forces in each Wizardwood piece join and become one. The more pieces of The Living Wizardwood that are joined magically or by ship wrights, the longer the process of the quickening takes.

Quickening times

fine: 1d8 hours
tiny: 1d12 hours
small: 1d26 hours
medium: 1d30 days
large: 1d 12 months x10
huge: 1d3 years x10
gargantuan: 1d6 years x10
colossal: 1d8 years x10

Description
The Wizardwood tree grows to 300 foot height, with a goldish hue on its bark. The goldish hue turns to the hue when the tree matures at seventy five years of age, when this happens the tree will egg corns will appear. The egg corns 2d20 will appear at maturity and every seventy five years thereafter. As the Wizardwood tree is maturing the goldish hue will Deeping every year until it matures. Some has said that the Wizardwood tree has been known to be as wide as a great dragon, while the Wizardwood trees have not been known to die of old age. Some suggest that Wizardwood trees have been killed by magical means, and are hard to kill or even cut down. What is known is that druids are the keepers of the Wizardwood trees stands and they have to be dealt with to Accor the wood. It has been said that some of the wizardwood egg corns have been given or sold by some druids to those they known will use the magical tree wood wisely. Letting certain individuals grow the Wizardwood tree in locations only they know about.

Things known about Wizardwood.
Before the quicken takes place as a whole tree or cut pieces of the tree.
The wizardwood tree or wizardwood pieces have the ability to see their surroundings, greater scrying and Darkvision ability. This combined greater scrying and Darkvision ability can see around the item with multiple seeing taking place at the same time all around the item, the spells level cast at 20 level every round. The Wizardwood item or tree has the ability to heal itself 1d20 hit points per round. The tree or pieces have the ability to heal damage to itself, by healing wounds such as a cleric does as a natural ability. This natural ability to heal itself makes the Wizardwood item last for hundreds of life times of the humanoid races.
The tree or pieces have a natural +10 magical ability to resist fire, ice, lighting and magic itself. Wizardwood items bigger than wands, staffs such as a ship can use the rary’s telepathic bond along with comprehend languages combined abilities to speak to any one crew member or the whole crew of a ship at the same time. The wizardwood will bond with the captain of a ship, and if the captain alignment varies from the captain then a war of wills takes place. The wizardwood has the hardness of Adamantine, with the weight of normal wood. The extra costs to make an item out of Wizardwood are 100% added to normal costs. Wizardwood has the rary's telepathic bond ability to communicate with a single person holding a Wizardwood item, such as a wand, or staff.

After the quickening happens the cured wood, (there has to be two or more pieces of wood, single pieces can't quicken.), the quickened Wizardwood becomes sentient. Use the intelligent items in the dmg starting on page 268, to find out ego and such. The wizardwood has the ability to communicate with the wearer in small items, or to one that is holding a larger piece. While a ship being made of Wizardwood can communicate with the Captain and others on the ship. Most of the communication is with the captain, while talking to a pilot to avoid dangers the ship sees ahead. The ship can tell how many people are on it and where they are and who belongs and who don't. The ship can tell the captain if the cargo is too heavy or the cargo has shifted. Wizardwood is used to make ships of all shapes and sizes; it is not unheard of to hear tales of items being made of Wizardwood. But such items are rare and most who work with Wizardwood know that making smaller items is harder than larger items to make.
thank you, looks interesting, I even got the books by Robin Hobb (audio)

I believe that you can find one in Realmspace. Its on the covert, it called the Batship.

The Batship is not really intellegent. It has a human helmsman trapped inside it in a sort of 'coffin helm'. That helmsman is the source of the intellegence. The ship is not native to Realmspace and (as far as I recal) the helmsman is the creator of the ship.

In the legend of the Spelljammer box, you have the Spelljammer and its Smalljammer that have a form of intelligence. In my campaign I had a Smallerjammer who had an avatar of sorts in the form of a female clockwork swordman (a golem). Yes, it is quite Adromeda like. A spell linked the Clockwork swordman (who is above averege intelligence) to the ship. Since the golem was new, the ship became the dominant personality.

The Smalljammer avatar is an interesting one, but I'm suprised you didn't just make it a shivak. If I was going to modify the Smalljammer, I'd be tempted to give it a shivak, because that would fit in a lot better with the ship's eventual destiny.

The subject of Smalljammers has come up several times over at the Spelljammer forum at The Piazza and someone (IIRC it was Night Druid) came up with the idea of having Smalljammers grow from one-man ships into ships that can take a crew of 30-50 people.

I personally think it would make sense for a Smalljammer to seek out a captain, so that it can use his cultural memories to design the city that it will eventually grow if it ever becomes a full blown Spelljammer.

But getting back to the point, another way to go with the intellegent ship thing, would be to use a creature (like a kindori) instead of a ship. That way you could treat the creature like a big horse! Wink

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

This new Smalljammer doesn't want to die when a new Spelljammer is chosen. This opens doors for quests that will sever the bond between a Smalljammer and the Spelljammer.

Hmm. I don't think that any smalljammer's die when a new Spelljammer is chosen. I think the process is more like one smalljammer going through puberty.

Perhaps you should say that your smalljammer has a "Peter Pan" complex and "doesn't want to grow up".

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

Perhaps you should say that your smalljammer has a "Peter Pan" complex and "doesn't want to grow up".

True, I checked. I must of confused the fact that from every spwaning of Smalljammers, only a few actually live long enough to become full fledge Smalljammers.

Maybe Peter Pan could be a bit paranoid.

That could be fun. Maybe one of the Smalljammers could fear the responsibility that would come with being the next version of The Spelljammer.

Maybe it somehow "enjoys" the freedom it gets from remaining as a spaarkil-sized ship.

The Spelljammer has to put up with hundreds of greedy groups, that attempt to take control of it. A Smalljammer only needs to deal with a small number of PCs.

Three different "intelligent" spelljamming vessels I don't think were named...

Space Selkie (When not in humanoid form in "ship" configuration)

Astetics; organic lifeform made by Lakshu masters

ZAT...the metallic fighter-jet configuration vessels. I mapped them out since The novels and accessories left it open-ended. These vessels immediately bond with mage that first enters their interiors, and have some very interesting "things" to be discovered inside.
ZAT...the metallic fighter-jet configuration vessels. I mapped them out since The novels and accessories left it open-ended. These vessels immediately bond with mage that first enters their interiors, and have some very interesting "things" to be discovered inside.

I'm pretty sure that the Cloakmaster Cycle novels show Zats as living creatures, that look like ships because they have such an alien biology. There were creatures that Teldin Moore met that thought that spelljamming ships were alive. They could "see" something they called the "Paramagnetic Gradient" and taught Teldin Moore how to modify a Planetary Locator so he could see it too.

I did in fact post Zats as living creatures, but their internals provide living space a-la smalljammer. Mapping this beast out took forever since I needed to 1) Get the dimensions correct 2) Keep from simply creating another Asthetic or Smalljammer.

This ship/lifeform initially has internals that work well with trinary life forms, but quickly configure for the intrepid mage that finds his way into the "open" areas of the Zat!