Gilarion,world of the sky elves.

106 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking of jotting down some random notes on an advanced elven world. The basic concept is a world of about 3 million elves where other intelligent races are rare or non-existant.

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

THE SKY TREE-This is an idea I plan to steal from Larry Niven's book:Rainbow Mars. A giant space seed enters the solar system and maneuvers into orbit around a habitable planet using two solar wings. The main seed drops smaller seeds onto the planet. These seeds grow into Anchor Trees that are extremely dense and roughly four times the height of redwood trees. The Main Seed takes up a geosynchronous orbit over the Anchor trees and drops a root 37,500 kilometers to the Anchor trees. The Anchor Trees catch the root and the Anchor trees join their tops together to hold the root and keep the main seed from drifting away. The main seed begins drawing nourishment from the planet and sprouts into a space tree,lets say 400 miles longX100 miles wide X100 miles deep? In the Spell jammer universe the Space Tree would have atmosphere and a gravity plane. In theory elves could climb the root all the way up the tree and found a colony on the Space Tree. The Anchor trees could also hold an elven city or two. If branches grow near the trailing edge of Space Tree they could shoot seeds away from the main plant,sort of a jettison or organic catapult? So what we're discussing is a spelljammer orbital tower based on the beanstalk from "Jack and the Beanstalk"?

A DIGRESSION ON PEGASI BREEDING AND USES.- Now the elves believe in having a low impact on Nature. Hippogriffs,Griffons and giant eagles are all carnivores and maintaining large numbers of these beasts would have more of an impact on Nature than using an herbivore like a Pegasus. The rule is 10 Lbs of grain to raise 1 Lb of meat. The Gilarion elves have come up with several breeds of Pegasi.
Squab Pegasi
These unintelligent 1Lb pegasi are bred for their meat and eggs. A typical gilarion elf family will eat Squab Pegasi once a week,1 squab per elf. Some elf cities have flocks numbering in the hundreds of thousands.
Swan Pegasi
These unintelligent 10-40 Lb pegasi are raised for their meat and eggs. They are relatively light-boned and can float in ponds like swans do.
Sleipner Pegasi
Eight-legged horses with winged hooves. Have twice the carrying capacity of ordinary Pegasi. A gilarion elf will ride the herd's stallion and lead them along a trade route,sort of a flying convoy.
Pegasi-were
The gilarion elves invented a magical disease that allows pegasi to transform into a large sized elf. It only works on female pegasi and it renders them sterile. In elf form the Pegasi-were can speak and is usually trained as a nanny. I plan to cover Nanny races in more detail later.
Gilarion Pegasi
Unlike normal pegasi the gilarion pegasi has has a gender balance of 4 females to every male. Gilarion Pegasi lay one egg per year and the gilarion elves try to be present so that the young will imprint on them.
The pegasi and the elves have a long standing alliance that dates back to elven prehistory. Many elven cities will have a pegasi stallion who is on the local governing council.

GILARION DRAGONS-To maintain an unspoiled feel to this world I would limit the number of dragons to 3000. This is a good breeding population if they don't seperate into sub-species. Ex. a gold dragon could mate with a silver dragon and produce a child who turns red. This would mean that dragons gain colors and powers based on templates created by the draconic deities. I would limit most encounters to the standard metalic or chromatic dragon types. Dragon treasures would probably need to be changed to reflect the limited elven civilization. Evil dragons would probably raid Sleipner Convoys and good dragons would probably be paid in minor magic or art items?

I am thinking the Avariels would be great for this world.
Yes,I'm familiar with them from 2 Ed. and plan a sub-culture in a mountainous area as well as a group located in the anchor trees. The main problem with the Avariels is that in D+D they've always been portrayed as somewhat barbaric and reclusive,though this is easily modified for Spelljammer it does go against the established fantasy trope to do so.

LUNATIC CITY -I want Sky Tree city to be the main elven city. But with 3 million elves to distribute I'll need several cities. Since cities grow up around natural resources and elves tend to migrate over the course of a long life each city will have to have a distinct civic character and something to attract and hold elvish settlers. Lunatic City is a Bi-local city,that grew up around a pair of GATES ,one located on Gilarion's surface and the other located on Gilarion's moon.
LUNA
I going to go off on a tangent here. Luna is a disk world with it's face tidally locked to the world of Gilarion. A race of "Immortal Ones",7ft tall,semi-divine and magically gifted arose on this world and built several cities. The Immortal ones created two servitor races that I plan on basing off the White Apes and Green men of Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom novels. These races were controlled by a Loyalty Virus that made them incapaple of resisting the Immortal One's wishes. An Immortal One had a crisis of conscience and created a cure for the Loyalty Virus that caused a world -wide revolt against the rule of The Immortal Ones. Some Immortal Ones fled thru the Lunatic gate to Gilarion Where they shrank in stature and lifespan. Some Immortal ones built an Astral Ark and fled to the Astral plane. Now the Gilarion elves are rediscovering the Immortal Ones civilization and dealing with constant attacks from the Green Men and White Apes whose Loyalty Virus has been perverted into a pathological hatred of all elvish beings.
What attracts settlers to Lunatic City is the flow of odd artifacts and the chance to battle against the Green Men or White Apes. The Mage Scholars of Lunatic city have rediscovered GATE magic and are planning on linking some cities. Mages in Lunatic City focus on researching the past rather than engaging in new magical research. For every 3 Lunatics who live on gilarion there's one who lives on the other side of the gate on Luna. Having made one face into a Barsoom analogue this still leaves the other side of the moon free for developement?

CRICCOLEE ELVES-Most but not all elves are chaotic good. What happens to elves who are bitten by werewolves and not cured?
Criccolee the goddess
Once apon a time there was an elven maid who became a druid and had a wolf for an animal companion. She gradually stopped travelling by day and would engage in feral,wild behaviour by the light of the moon. Her magic gradually transformed her into the first werewolf and she transformed many elves. A war was fought against her and her followers and upon her death she passed into legend and thence into divinity. She is now the goddess of all elven werewolves and occasionally sends an avatar to rule the nation named after her.
The nation of Criccolee formed as werewolves followed the path of the moon across the sky and gradually formed larger and larger packs. These packs attracted the ire of surrounding elvish nations and a war was fought that forced the Criccolee to settle on a large island chain. The Modern Criccolee are pirates and sorcerors who pass the "blessing" of lycanthropy from generation to generation,killing any child who cannot be transformed. Criccolee do not have reproductive magic and produce children at the normal rate.

NORTH AND SOUTH ALFENHEIM-At the north and south poles of Gilarion live a distinct sub-culture of elves. The Alfenheim elves tend to have white or blonde hair with grey or blue eyes. Most alfenheim elves are born with the Cold Subtype(monster manual pg 307),those who are born without eithor emigrate or go to a preist who can "transmogrify"them into having the Cold subtype. Some notable features of Alfenheim culture are;
scrimshaw
The alfenheim elves like to carve and dye ivory,usually with dark blue dye. Sources of ivory are woolly mammoth,walrus,white dragon,polar bear,etc.
Diamond ice
By adding a pinch of diamond dust to water and performing a ritual the Alfenheim elves can create a form of ice harder than steel that only melts at 400 degrees farenheit. This liquid is poured into molds to make shields,armor and weapons of a baroque look.
BOOTIES
The Alfen heim elves wear boots with perfectly round bottoms in the winter. These allow them to move across the snow as if on a pair of snow shoes. In warmer months they wear a type of moccasin.
FIMBUL WINTER
The Alfenheim elves beleive that the fey,white dragons and other evil northern creatures are plotting to create an endless winter. This Fimbul winter will sweep towards the equator and lock the whole world in an Ice age. Because Gilarion is a "green"world without much technology or civilization this could happen. It is the duty of the alfenheim elves to prevent the Fimbul winter by any means possible.
So,imagine an encounter with an alfenheim elf;dressed in furs and decorated with ivory carvings,and carrying weapons and armor made of pure ice,ash blonde hair and sharp grey eyes,running across the snow in strange boots.
The Centenial Procession
Once every hundred years young,unmarried elves will march from the poles to the Equator where they have a social mixer. Some of the young elves will then pair up and march to their homelands together. Traditionally A northern Alfenheim elf prefers to marry a southern one,though exceptions happen on a regular basis.
Silver dragons
Many silver dragons live among the Alfenheim elves,they produce the occasional half dragon child.

AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR...DWARVES IN SPACE-Remember the old muppet show bit,Pigs In Space? In the gilarion solar system Moradin (the god of the dwarvish folk) placed them in an asteroid cluster. Here they thrived and learned to propel their rocky homes thru space using magical Spelljamming forges. Every asteroid base is it's own kingdom. Some abandoned asteroid bases are now home to monsters. Some asteroids are still used as farms though the dwarves have moved to new asteroids in search of metallic ore. The dwarven asteroidal civilization has an embassy on the top of the Sky Tree and they carry on a lively trade with the Gilarion elven nations. Because the dwarves mine Nickel/Iron asteroids they have Steel,Iron and Nickel pieces in addition to normal coins. The dwarves also export beer as well as worked metal goods. The dwarves have a mutual protection treaty with the elves. I would limit the dwarven asteroidal civilization to about 300,000 or about 1250 asteroids.

ELVISH REPRODUCTION THOUGHTS-The greatest challenge elves face as a race is probably their low birthrate and slow maturation. The birth rate can be improved with magic but the maturation is probably an important part of installing elven cultural values.
KETTLEDRUM OF POPULATION BOOMING
This looks like a large kettle drum played by some bards and used by some goblinoids as wardrums. To use  the skin is taken off the top. Two or more elves(gender is irrelevent) contribute material like fingernail clippings,hair,blood and etc. The drumhead is replaced and the contributers march around the drum beating on it and chanting. Within 24 hours the sound of a baby crying will come fro inside the drum. When the drum is opened a child can be removed who is a toddler(3 years old?) who is capable of eating solid food. The kettledrum can be used once per day and is the magical version of an uterine replicator. Producing a toddler in a day when an elvish mother might take 4 years is huge timesaver and saves wear and tear on the mother. And since you can use male or females as contributors you could have an elvish subculture that is all amazon or all misogynist.
BABY BLANKET
Looks like an ordinary blanket. A couple (1 male and 1 female)lie under the blanket. The blanket casts a sleep spell. When the couple awakes at dawn there's a baby between them and the mother is lactating so she can feed the infant. Another time saver and saves wear and tear on the mother.
The Gilarion elves want to produce 100 million elves so they can control and protect their planet. In order to do this the Gilarion elves will need a race of nannies. The most common Nanny race would probably be the Pegasi-weres. A city of 20,000 elves that produced 20,000 young would need a herd of pegasi roughly 12,500 strong with 5,000 of the females being turned into sterile pegasi-were nannies.

ROUGH CURRENCY THOUGHTS I think the elves would create artistic forms of money that vary from the D+D standard.
Ennobling Coins
The most common way for elves to express their artistic tendencies is to hand carve each coin rather than stamp or die cut them. This is normally only done with silver,gold or platinum pieces. It triples the value of coin. It does not change the weight because coins that are going to be en-nobled are made slightly heavier in the preperation process before being carved.
DWARVEN COINS
Because of the dwarven asteroidal civilization some coins from their Nickel/Iron asteroids are circulated on Gilarion. The Iron Piece or dwarven dime is worth about 1/5 a Copper Piece. Used to pay day laborers. The dwarven Nickle is worth about 1/10th a Copper Piece. The Gilarion Elves look down on dwarven coinage because it is cheap and drab.
POUND NOTES
The Salt Kingdom issues notes backed by the production of their salt mines. A 1 pound note can be traded at the Royal Warehouse for a pound of salt or other goods. Notes come in 1,2,5,10 and 100 pound denominations. A pound of salt usually sells for about 5 GP so a 5 pound note is worth roughly 25 GP. A pound note is a rectangle of silk. It is hemmed around the edges with a special thread and each note is hand drawn and signed by the Royal Calligraphers. It would therefore require three seperate checks to forge a pound note.
So the breakdown is 100 pound note worth 500 GP. 10 pound note worth 50 GP 5 pound note worth 25 GP 1 noble platinum piece worth 15 GP 1 normal platinum piece worth 5 GP 2 pound note worth 10 GP 1 pound note worth 5 GP 1 Noble gold piece worth 3 GP 1 gold piece worth one gold piece 1 noble silver piece worth three normal SP 1 silver piece worth 1/10th a normal GP 1 copper piece worth 1/100th of a normal GP 1 iron dwarven dime worth 1/500th of a GP 1 dwarven nickel piece worth 1/1000th of a GP. So if a gp is worth 20$ US then a dwarven nickle would be worth 2 cents US.

DER FLUGENHEIMER-As a possible adventure site how about the greatest gnomish sidewheeler ever built? Imagine a vessel built entirely in space,12 miles long X 1 mile wide X 1 mile deep. Constucted by the gnomes as their version of the legendary Spelljammer. Some rough design thoughts follow.
ATTACK HAMSTERS
The gnomes raise Giant Space Hamsters for food and as mounts. Consider adding a fire breathing capability or sabretooth fangs or even a RAGE ability?
Small corridors
Remember to make everything on ship small size,doors,corridors,beds,weapons. Make large size characters take the -2 penalty for fighting in cramped quarters.
pharmacy
A small sized pill booth. Base on the Jefferson Airplane song "White Rabbit". One pill makes you smaller and one pill makes you large and the one that mother gives you doesn't do anything at all. The gnomes who built the ship built the Pharmacies so passengers could be shrunk or expanded to fit in the accomodations. Would a large size creature who took an growth pill be able to get out of the booth? Make all instructions in Gnomish!!
Magical toilet
Small sized rooms with a toilet seat. Waste is transported to a interdimensional space. Open the hatch and a ton of gnomish waste spills out? Air is kept fresh thru magic.
Poop decks
The gnomes use waste from the Giant space Hamsters and the magic toilets to grow wheat on flat portions of the hull. These also serve as mustering areas for the Gnomish Space Marines.
Food and water barrels
These barrels are bolted to the floor and magically refill themselves. If moved the magic is ruined but the food and water remains.
Dish cabinets
Ther are wooden cabinets with beautifal handcarved wooden dishes. Food magically appears on these plates and if place in the cabinet will recharge and clean themselves. Magic is ruined if cabinet is removed from wall. Dishes should be recharged after every meal. Command word is written on doors of cabinet.
gnomes
Anywhere from 1000 to 10000 gnomes live and work on Der Flugenheimer,most are engineers and tinkers,10% are Gnomish Space Marines.
The Sidewheels
Each sidewheel is powered by a gargantuan iron golem shaped like a giant space hamster. As they run inside the wheels they generate magical forces that propel Der Flugenheimer thru space.
The Big Ole Foghorn
Gnomes love gadgetry,and what ship would be complete with out a foghorn? Perhaps this foghorn could generate a fog bank for Der Flugenheimer to hide in?
LIFE PRESERVERS
Suppose the gnomes put in barrels that can act as lifeboats,but they're not labeled as such. Instead the barrels say "In case of emergancy or life threatening illness climb in." The barrels have no obvious launch mechanism but fall thru a hole in the hull into outer space where the barrel gives off a bright flash every few seconds? Based off the Gentle repose or Stasis spells.

CITY OF THE PATRIARCHS-This city was founded and is maintained by elves who worship the manly ideal.
Death Zone
The original founders used to kill any female elf or fey who crossed the borders of the Patriarchy. Now these interlopers who seek to upset the peace are captured and transported to the Trading Post that exists between the Patriarchy and the Sisterhood(an Amazon society).
Recruits
Elves who have lost a wife in some tragic fashion. Elves with domineering female relatives. Elves who wish to avoid military service. Elves who hate/fear females. All these are recruited by agents of the Patriarchy.
Magical Reproduction
This society probably helped to invent the Kettle drums of Population booming. Unwanted females produced by this method are traded by age 40 to the Sisterhood.
This culture bans depictions of the female form,this is one of the few forms of censorship they engage in. Many young males will spend 50-100 years living in the Patriarchy before moving on,in spite of it's fine art programs the Patriarchy is seen as being outside the cultural mainstream.

I was thinking of jotting down some random notes on an advanced elven world. The basic concept is a world of about 3 million elves where other intelligent races are rare or non-existant.

Check out this List of All the Different Types of Elves compiled by Filby on ENWorld's Creature Catalogue forum. I suspect there are more elven types, but it will start you off.

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

THE SISTERHOOD-An amazon society. No elf male over 40 years of age is allowed to stay. No fey males are allowed to stay after they reach puberty.
No trespass zone
The Sisterhood originally imposed a death penalty on trespassers but this didn't deter them. It seems that every male bard thinks he's sooo charming that he can talk his way into the Sisterhood. A female elf who was born deaf was placed in charge of the Sisterhood's rangers and she came up with a method of dissuading the bards from visiting. Bards who trespass are enslaved and sold to the Patriarchy.
RECRUITS
Women who have been abused by males. Women with repressive families. Women who have lost their husbands or lovers in a trgic fashion. Women who are shy....etc.
MAGICAL REPRODUCTION
The Sisterhood relies heavily on the kettle drums of population booming(Q.V.). Recruiting drives to other cities are common as well.
This culture tends to be good pegasi breeders. Maintains few pegasi -weres. Many female elves will visit and stay with the Sisterhood for a century or two.

THE SPOTTED EMPIRE-This elven city was founded by elves from the plague world of BHU. Bhu was being terraformed by mindflayers who were releasing volcanic gasses to blot out the sun and spores to kill off surface dwelling lifeforms. The spotted elves adapted to the changing conditions. The typical spotted elf has yellowish skin with dark brown rosettes like those of a leopard or jaguar. They are resistant to disease and heat but some what weak willed. Spotted elves have no hair.
rough notes for pcs
-1 to CHA. +4 to resist disease. Fire subtype from Pg.309 monster manual. +2 to hide under shady trees. All other stats are as for elves.
Spotted elves do not practice reproductive magic. Spotted elves keep few intelligent pegasi,but raise a lot of Squab pegasi. Spotted elf rangers tend to use arrow poisons. Spotted elves tend to produce more Psions than sorcerors.
WOODLINGS
Woodlings are are stunted cousins to Treants that serve as manual laborers for the Spotted elves. Page 197 of savage species yields some rough stats. HD 1D8 /BAB +0/ FORT +2/ REF +0/ WILL +0/ SKILL POINTS (2+int bonus)X4/ CR 1 SPECIAL feat and +4 to AC. They also get a +2 to Dexterity and Intelligence.They are of the PLANT TYPE. Speed of 30' Have low light vision. +16 to hide in forested areas. Tend to gather sunlight by day and work at night.
Woodlings do not grow outside the spotted elf empire ,but can rest in the soil of other lands.

Some Rough Cosmological notes for the Gilarion system-Gilarion is a standard system with a large fire body orbited by smaller bodies.
PRIMARY BODY
The Sun,a size J fire world of sphere shape.
1 day away by spelljammer is;
SHINDIA
water world-size G-sphere(inner orbit 1 -20million miles)
BIAFRA
earth world-size A-flat or disc world(inner orbit 2-40 million miles) *home of of centaur races,pony ,sylan ,high and giant. Radiation in atmosphere causes sterility in most biped species,elves of gilarion established a colony that failed.
2 days away by spelljammer is;
GORGANA
Fire world-size G-cubic world with ring of fire(inner orbit 4-80 million miles)Appears as a bright star in most planets skies,not like a second or binary star. A construct to contain an evil fire god?
6 days away by spelljammer is;
GILARION
Earth world-size E-sphere world with an earth type moon of size B(inner orbit 7-140 million miles)Home to an advanced elven civilization of 3 million.
PORTOS
Earth world-size c-a pyramid shaped world with a ring of fire.(inner orbit 8-160 million miles)*this world was an asteroid belt before a dwarven god reshaped it.
4 days away by spelljammer is;
VIDAR
Earth world-size D-sphere world.(inner orbit 10-200 million miles)an uninhabited rock.
10 days away is;
LUDUS
Fire world-size A-a torus or donut shaped world.(outer orbit 1-400 million miles)
80 days away by spelljammer is;
LER
Air world-size D-amorphus or belt-shaped.(outer orbit 5-2000 million miles)A belt where spelljammers stop to refresh their air envelopes.
20 days away by spelljammer is;
FRIDE
Earth world-size E-spher world(outer orbit 6-2400 million miles)An uninhabited rock
60 days away is;
URAN
Water world-size H-sphere world(outer orbit 9-3600 million miles)this world is hotter than normal sort of a tropical fish aquarium in space?
the shell is 7200 million miles from the sun,or Uran to shell is 180 days.

ELVEN MECHA SUITS-A creation of the sky tree navy. This set of elven plate expands when worn. This allows an elf to function like an large size creature without suffering a minus to AC or a Strength bonus. The main benefit to wearing elven Mecha is that it allows you to use larger versions of your normal weapons. Most mecha suits come with an enlarged mighty composite bow and an enlarged 2 handed sword. Some have flight capabilities. About 200 of these suits have been produced.

LIFT RAFTS- As an intermediate form of transport between the pegasi caravans and spelljammer ships the gilarion elves developed these rafts. 60 feet long by 20 feet wide by 10 feet deep are the standard measurements of a gilarion lift raft. The lift raft can carry 90 passengers or 11 1/4 tons of cargo with passengers being equal to 250 lbs of goods. The lift raft requires a minimum crew of three,though 5 is more common. The lift raft is propelled by a "Levistone" engine. A levistone engine is a cube 6 feet per side with mystical runes engraved upon it. Levistone multiplies and amplifies levitation effects. Any spellcaster who touches the stone can get the lift raft to move 20 ft. per round in any direction. A lift raft moves at about 6.5 miles per hour but can be operated 24/7 with a 3 mage crew,giving a range of 216 miles per day,or roughly 11 times the speed of ground travel. Most lift rafts are not armed,the crew relies on magic for defence.

FEY THOUGHTS-The major bad guys on this world are probably going to be the fey. Gilarion is a wild and untamed world,the elemental forces of nature are still in control of much of this world and the elvish plan to build ther numbers from 3 million to 100 million will take a few centuries to complete. The base population for fey should be about 300,000. The alignment breakdown should be 1/3 evil-1/3 neutral-1/3 good. In the past the elves have attempted to eliminate the Fey only to have the elemental forces of Gilarion cause new and more hostile Fey to come into being on another part of Gilarion. Standard sylvan races or even humanoids could be re-invisioned as a Fey race. EX. Drow never existed as a sub-race on Gilarion,instead they are a type of all-female Fey who must reproduce with elven or fey males,whom they then consume,black widow-style. Fey commonly serve as minions to evil dragons,usually the Black or Green,filling the role that Kobolds fill on most D+D worlds.

NESSUS-one of my favorite characters from Niven's known space series is probably Nessus. If Nessus was a fey how would he profile? He would probably be a high level bard. His form would be a small,two-headed centaur? White suede-like fur with a long,tangled mane of light brown hair. Delicate white hooves. Large,sad eyes. A few highly magical items,perhaps items from Age of the Immortal ones. Nessus represents a consortium of other long-lived fey. Nessus knows many secrets;secrets from the immortal ones,secrets from the dawn of the goddess Criccolee,secrets of the Fey Drow Empire,secrets of the various fey races,locations of Fairie Rings,secrets of various elven cities,etc. Nessus carries no weapons but can use bardic song. Nessus is lawful neutral?

GREEN ELVES - Plant sub-type. Travelleling by night and absorbing the sun by day. These elves are flora not fauna. Tend to be druids,rangers and barbarians. Highly individualistic and nature-loving. Unable to receive the blessing of the goddess Cricolee. Number less than a 100,000 in the world.

BARDS ON THE RUN-Now it is a given that getting into the music biz is tough. Imagine a world where every elf has some musical inclinations and the professionals you compete with have centuries of experience and longstanding ties to the industry. Most young bards spend a century travelling and perfecting their craft. Many bards rely on secondary skills to support themselves. Now elves like cooked vegetables more than humans do,suppose they invented a type of wok cookery? Young bards could travel from fairground to fairground chopping and preparing vegetable dishes as a form of performance art,sort of what you see at Benny Haha's. A wok would probably cost as much as a heavy steel shield.

SPIRALS OF KNOWLEDGE-Now a majority of elves are wizards and there are so many young elves being created that alternate methods of teaching them are evolving. A spell can be carved onto a wall or other structure. A first level spell takes up a 10X10 foot space. Some elven cities feature 200 to 300 foot wall set in a spiral and with 20 to 30 /1st or zero level spells inscribed on them. 1st level spells can be useful to beginnning mages and most mages are of 1st to 3rd level. Standing stones in a megalth like stonehenge are also popular.

ADVENTURE SITE-THE DARK ISLANDS,ALSO KNOWN AS DREAD ISLES OR SKULL ISLANDS. The elves of Gilarion rarely become evil and there are only about 3000 or 4000 lawful evil necomancers. Over the centuries elves tend to head for this island if they're lawful evil.
RANDOMNESS OF FATE
When a new recruit appears on the dread isles a coin is flipped. If it comes up heads the recruit joins a Dark Monastery (Q.V.) as a necromancer. If it comes up Tails the recruit is turned into a Servitor Skeleton(Q.V.). This is supposed to demonstrate the Randomness of Fate to potential recruits.
Servitor Skeletons
An elf,a recruit who loses his coin toss or a Criccolean pirate is killed and a Vivisectionist(Q.V.) removes all the flesh. A lich who specialises in making shrunken head jujus will remove the flesh of the head and shrink it,this will provide the servitor skeleton with a +1 turn resistance. A kilt made from the elves skin will clothe the servitor skeleton. Another lich will use create undead and Awaken undead spells to create an intelligent undead skeleton with no real memories of its past life. The servitor skeleton will remember weapon proficiencies. Most servitor skeletons are issued Masterwork swords,shortbows and shields. The servitor skeletons are sent to a school run by a lich known as the Crafty One. They are trained as Experts and adopt a selection of crafts like cook,armorsmith,farmer,etc. Servitor Skeletons are the backbone(pun intended) of the dark island society and there are roughly 5 of them for every necromancers. They make all the masterwork items and perform the bulk of all labors,this frees the necomancers for study of necromancy and eventual transmutation tnto Undeath.

MORE DARK ISLAND THOUGHTS-----
UNDEAD TYPES
ZOMBIE WYVERNS,CRAWLING CLAWS,SERVITOR SKELETON,GHOUL,GHAST,LICH,DRACOLICH,BRAIN IN A JAR,SHADOWS,LACEDON,ZOMBIE BULL,MUMMY AND A FEW FLESH GOLEMS,PERHAPS ALSO SOME UNIQUE SKELETONS.
BETTER UNLIVING THRU ALCHEMY.
Most dark monastaries have servitor skeletons devoted to Alchemy,does this allow some version of gunpowder? Does the chemical generation of electricity help with creating flesh golems,such as adam being created by frankenstein?
GHASTLY RESTURAUNT
Almost every dark monastary has a dump that is guarded by 1-4 Ghouls. Necromancers getting too close to the resturaunt and getting attacked is a frequent occurance.
PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE
All recruits are trained in elitism,most want magical or masterwork items.Recruits are taught that they will exist a long time,why spend eternity with second rate stuff? Most recruits have 2X the normal wealth,most undead masters have 3X normal wealth.
THE CRAFTY ONE
A Lich who specialises in training servitor skeletons who will be assigned to the Dark Monastaries. Does the lich have Jack Of Trades Skill with the Teacher feat? Does it have animal handling skills to train zombie wyverns as mounts and bombers? Has a staff of maximum level Servitor Skeletons and Brains in Jars as teachers and disciplinarians.

More dark island thoughts.... A mountain of onyx and obsidian that the necromancers can carve into dark ships and use to power their create undead spells. I invision a scene where Pcs disturb 1,000 servitor skeletons who are slowly carving a dark ship and they pore out like a CGI army,similar to the anubis warriors in The Mummy Returns.
Dark monastaries
The necromancers form monastaries and research groups. 40 living necromancers-200 or 300 servitor skeletons-1 undead lord,ghoul,lich or mummy-1/2 dozen undead wyverns-100 crawling claws-several ghouls to act as trash collectors.
vivisectionists
The necromancers love to make anatomy studies and do a full body reduction about once a week. Brain transplants and creating flesh golems are very popular and are something of a spectator sport amongst the dark ones. Every Brain-In-A -Jar was created at a public event and has his origins publicly discussed.

LILLIPUTIAN ELVES-These are elves who magically shrank themselves to be more like fairies. they average 6 inches in height,basically size tiny. They have a metropolis of 100,000 but send out a lot of Legates that hold 100-200 Lilliputians.
TITANIA
Lilliputians worship the Seelie Court,paying particular respect to Titania the Fairie Queen.
PARANOIA
Lillaputians are preyed on by everything from tarantulas to grizzlies. This leads to Lilliputians building fort-like buildings.
SWAN PEGASI
The Lilliputians are great raisers of Swan Pegasi and have herds numbering about 200,000.
EPIC CHARACTERS
A city of 100,000 has many epic level characters and a spell from a 6 inch tall wizard is the same as one from a 6 foot tall wizard.
RINGMAKERS
High level wizards and clerics tend to take the CRAFT RING feat,this makes Lilliput a good plce to shop for rings. Customized rings must be pre-ordered and the XP cost must be paid by customer.
ARCOLOGY
Each Arcology is built on a raised platform of brick 100ft X 100ft by 10 feet high.  Each arcology is 60 ft tall and 60ft from edge to edge.  Flying Butresses hold up the walls,15ft wide at the bottom and 10 ft. wide at the top,also double as ramps to higher levels of the Arcology. Doors are 8 inches tall and 4 inches wide and 1/8 of an inch thick. Stories are 10 inches tall and the typical Arcology is 72 stories tall, a good skyscraper/fortress. Normal elves are used to build the exterior and the central ladder. The roof has 8-12 cupola,each cupola contains a heavy crossbow that functions like a ballista for the Lilliputians, 6 elves fire the heavy crossbow,the cuppola provides a +4 bonus to AC. The roof has a bronze finnhole or manhole cover with a 1 foot wide iris that opens onto the Main Staircase. The staircase is 1 ft wide and 60 ft tall. The finn hole is used by the full sized elves then only used by the iris that is heavily decorated.

A typical elven city---SHROOMAVILLE, city of mushrooms. Built in a river valley where Fey Myconids occasionally arise from mushrooms and try to conquer the world.
adults
There are 20.000 adults of various subraces;Grey,high,wood,wild,lilliputian,spotted,etc.
children
There are roughly 20,000 young,most produced by artifical methods like the drums of population booming.
Tallfellows
There are 2,000 halflings of the tallfellow subtype. they have a large farming community spread out by the river. They also have 40% children and a pack of a few hundred war dogs.
FEY
Usually good or neutral and willing to relate to elves. 200 in number.
dragons
5 to 10,usually silver or gold.
pegasi
21,000 normal pegasi.4,800 pegasi-were. 20,000 swan pegasi.100,000 squab pegasi. 10,000 sleipner pegasi.
GP limit is 80,000 GP. Militia 200---conscript 1,000. Ready cash of 4,000 GP.

SHROOMAVILLE DEMOGRAPHIC BREAKDOWNS-
ADEPT
1 of 15th lev.,2/12th,2/8th,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24/2nd and 170 of the first. All 1st lev. adepts are known as healers. All higher lev. adepts are called by the honorific of doctor. Most adepts work at the Tantroculos Medical Center. Low level adepts spend a lot of time healing Tallfellows and Pegasi to gain experience.
ADEPT/WIZARD
1 OF 8TH LEV.,4/6TH,4/4TH,8/3RD,24/2ND,AND 65 OF THE 1ST LEV. These are the researchers and writers of the medical profession. Work at the "T" annex of the Tantroculos Medical Center.
ADEPT/SORCEROR
1 of the 8th lev,.4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24/2nd,and 65 of the 1st. The "witch doctors" or "society doctors" depending on if they belong to wild or grey elf tribes.
These adepts form the backbone of the Shroomaville medical community and represent roughly 2% of the population. Everyone will be treated at the Tantroculos Medical Center,even if you have to work there for a century to pay them back.
ARISTOCRAT
1 of 13th lev.,2 of 11th,2/7th,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24/2nd,170 of 1st level. The hereditary rulers of the elven folk are born and bred to be decision makers and judges. The ranks don't always make sense because a "Prince of the People"can outrank a "King" of a 200 Elf tribe. Usually display nobility by having an entourage and paying 2-10 times cost for items.
ARISTOCRAT/WIZARD
2 of 7th lev,4of 6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24/2nd,and 65 of the 1st. Court wizards,leaders of tribes who insist leaders know magic and Aristocrats who oversee magical matters.
ARISTOCRAT/SORCEROR
2 of 7th lev.,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24/2nd,and 65 of 1st. Often social climbers who some how joined the aristocracy or an aristocrat descended from a magical being like fey or dragons.
Aristocrats can be found anywhere in Shroomaville and are accorded a great deal of respect. Just about every elf in Shroomaville is under the authority of some Aristocrat.

BARBARIANS
1 of 13th,2/11th,2/7th,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24/2nd,and 48 of the 1st. Members of wild or wood elf tribes that are in the big city on diplomatic,trade or for health care reasons.
BARBARIAN/SORCERORS
2 of the 7th level,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24/2nd, and 48 of the 1st. The tribal witchdoctors of wild or wood elf tribes. Usually here for same reasons as the other barbarians,though also teach at the Tantroculos Medical Center.
Barbarians usually come and go from the big city,spending less than a decade before moving on.

BARD
1 of 15th,2 of 12th,2/8th,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24 of 2nd,and 48 of the 1st lev. Tend to work in bars,resturaunts and Theatres Of The Round.
BARD/WIZARD
1 of 8th,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24 of 2nd,48 of the 1st. Tend to be illusionists who want to incorperate magic into their performances.
BARD/SORCEROR
1 of the 8th,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24/2nd,48 of the 1st. Specialize in "wild" impromptu performances.
On occasion Bards will travell from city to city like mad,other times they will settle in one spot for decades. chaos is the rule with Bards.

CLERIC
1 of 15th lev.,2 of 12th,2/8th,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24 of 2nd and 48 of the 1st lev. Most worship the whole sylvan and fairie pantheon. Some worship a force or philosphy,no god/dess is forbidden though active worship of an evil deity is frowned upon.
CLERIC/WIZARD
1 of 8th lev.,4 of 6th,4/4th,8 of 3rd,24 of the 2nd and 48 of the 1st. Split evenly amongst those who are pantheon worshippers,a god of magic or the force of magic itself.
CLERIC/SORCEROR
1 of the 8th.,4 of 6th,4 of 4th,8 of 3rd,24 of the 2nd and 48 of the 1st. Charismatic sect leaders or tribal witch doctor types.
Shrines to the gods are common,religeon is part of daily life.

DRUID
1 of the 15th,2 of 12th,2/8th,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24 of 2nd and 48 of the 1st, Druids rarely stay in city. Spread amongst the pegasi pastures.
DRUID/SORCERORS
1 of the 8th,4 of 6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24 of the 2nd and 48 of the 1st. druid -sorcerors tind to be tribal witch doctors.

SHROOMAVILLE DEMOGRAPHIC BREAKDOWNS...
EXPERT
3 of the 20th,6 of 10th,12/5th,24 of the 3rd,68 of the 2nd, 510 of the 1st. Shroomaville has a lot of oddball experts,Knowledge:Myconolgy, tattoo artists, Coin sculpters, interior decorators, clock-makers, dung-workers, pegasus hair felt workers, musical instrument maker, pegasus saddle maker.
EXPERT/WIZARD
12 of the 5th,24/3rd,48/2nd,255 of the 1st. Crafters of low level magic items. Do a fair amount of research.
EXPERT/SORCEROR
12 of the 5th,24/3rd,48/2nd, 255 of the 1st. Tend to be political within their expert guilds.
Tend to form guilds only half the time. The Shroomaville people love shopping in little shops.

SHROOMAVILLE DEMOGRAPHIC BREAKDOWNS.....
FIGHTER
1 of the 17th,2 of 16th,2/9th,4/8th,4/5th,8/4th,8/3rd,32/2nd and 64 of the 1st. professional body guards,soldiers,the usual.
FIGHTER/WIZARD
2 of 9th,4/8th,4/5th,8/4th,8/3rd,32 of 2nd and 64 of 1st lev. A common multiclass that often goes into a prestige class.
FIGHTER/SORCEROR
2 of the 9th lev,4/8th,4/5th,8/4th,8/3rd,32 of the 2nd and 64 of the 1st. charismatic leaders of small fighter bands or tribal warriors for the wild elves.

MONK
1 of the 13th,2/11th,2/7th,4/6th,4/4th,8/3rd,24 of the 2nd and 48 of the 1st. A life time of well organised meditation and physical exercise does apeal some elves usuallly the greys.
PALADIN
1 of the 12th,2/11th,6/6th,12/3rd,24 of the 2nd and 48 of the 1st. The other elves who live monastically,a hughly commited life style.
Less than one percent of the population has this sort of commitment necessary to be a monk or paladin.

Shroomaville population breakdowns.-
RANGER
1 of 12th lev,2/11th,6/6th,12/3rd,24 of the 2nd and 48 of the 1st. A favored profession for young elves. Many don't like being away from civilization for long.
RANGER/WIZARD
6 of the 6th lev.,12/3rd,24 of the 2nd and 48 of the 1st. another popular multi class choice.
RANGER/SORCEROR
6 of the 6th lev.,12 /3rd ,24 of the 2nd and 48 of the 1st. popular multiclass indeed.
Many elves like the ranger lifestyle but it can be tough to survive in the wilderness and civilization is hard to leave behind.

SHROOMAVILLE POPULATION BREAKDOWNS-[sblock-ROGUE]1 of 17th,2/16th,2/9th,4/8th,4/5th,8/4th,8/3rd,32 of the 2nd and 64 of the 1st. Spies,investigators and trouble shooters. Though some are some sort of"Activist".[/sblock]
ROGUE/WIZARD
2 of the 9th lev,4/8th,4/5th,8/4th,,8/3rd,32 of the 2nd and 64 0f the 1st. creators of sneaky magic items and defence contractors.
ROGUE/SORCEROR
2 of the 9th,4/8th,,4/5th,8/4th,8/3rd,,32 of the 2nd and 64 of the 1st. Charismatic spies and politicians/diplomats.

SHROOMAVILLE POPULATION BREAKDOWNS-[sblock=SORCEROR]1 of the 13th,2/11th,2/7th,4/6th,4/4th,24 of the 2nd and 170 of the 1st. Charismatic politicians,tribal spellcasters,spellcasters with strange blood flowing thru their veins. Sorcerors vary a great deal.