block and deflect cumalitive penalty

I ran into an issue when I was dueling a fellow player here was the situation:
HE was using move object to raise my character 6sqs higher every round (working toward the max falling damage of 20d6). Using my blaster I was attempting to cause him enough damage to lose he concentration as per the errata. During one turn I manage to roll high enough he was unable to deflect it. When he went to roll for his concentration I insisted that he would get the -5 penalty from rolling Use the Force to deflect toward the Use the Force check to keep his concentration on the move object.

My reasoning is it doesn't explicitly say that the penalty applies only to the Use the Force check for block/deflect only that a penalty cumulates when those talents are used. As such all uses of the skill Use the Force used before the characters next turn would be at that penalty.

What are your opinions?
Fun, friendly community specializing in play by post games for every system and free from gaming. Come check us out. Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance campaign
it says only Utf checks made to block and deflect are penalized, not utf checks in general, so I disagree, though your player was spamming, though in all likelyness, they wouldn't have been able to hold concentration with a DC of 15+damage taken
The RAW does not state that there are cumulative penalties for multiple UtF checks. The penalties are for successive uses of specific talents. As an example, you can do two Move Light Object actions in a turn without any penalty.

Concentration on Move Object only requires a standard action, and Deflect is a reaction (which he could do even if maintaining the Move Object was a full-round action).
I just looked at the errata again and realized i had written the special for Move Object incorrectly in my book. The Move Object part was mishandled incorrectly completley, but I would still like people's thoughts on the penalty to the Use the Force checks.
If you can point to official sources that would be wonderful as it makes my mind up more about a topic than anything else.
Fun, friendly community specializing in play by post games for every system and free from gaming. Come check us out. Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance campaign
I would still like people's thoughts on the penalty to the Use the Force checks.
If you can point to official sources that would be wonderful as it makes my mind up more about a topic than anything else.

The official text is very clear. If it doesn't say that there's a penalty, then there isn't one. Unless the GM wishes to house rule otherwise. If this is done players must know ahead of time that the game works differently than the official rules state. It has an impact not just on game play, but on which powers and talents a player may select.
With Block/Deflect the cumulative penalties only apply to furture UtF checks made to use those talents.
With Block/Deflect the cumulative penalties only apply to future UtF checks made to use those talents.

Addendum: and only those specific talents. Not to the UtF checks for other talents and powers.
Nowhere do the core book or the errata say to apply Block/Deflect penalties to other Use the Force checks. Your interpretation of the rules is wrong, sorry.

Look at the entries for Block and Deflect. They say you make a Use the Force check to negate an attack, and to apply a cumulative penalty on your UtF check.
They don't say to apply a penalty to Use the Force checks, they say to apply a penalty to this check.
And buy some thermal detonators for the next time this happens.

J.
And buy some thermal detonators for the next time this happens.

J.

Yes, or a light repeater... autofire can be your friend.
Yes, or a light repeater... autofire can be your friend.

If you are trying to lay down area fire you don't even need the LRB, just switch that blaster carbine/rifle to full auto. The problem with this tactic is that Block still DOES work by effectively turning it into Evasion. Now to make this tactic really work you use Burst Fire.
only problem is that you have to hit them with burst fire to make it work.
While it's not in the rules, I think there should be a penalty for doing so. My reason for this would be the fact that maintaining Move Object from round to round requires constant concentration. In fact, in order to maintain that concentration, not only should there be a penalty for deflect/block but the Force User should also not be able to move.

Never in the movies, to my recollection, do they levitate things and walk around while maintaining the Move Object. Generally, if that power is used, they just toss the object and keep moving.

Just my two cents worth.

If you're concentrating, moving around and defending yourself should be penalized.
While it's not in the rules, I think there should be a penalty for doing so. My reason for this would be the fact that maintaining Move Object from round to round requires constant concentration. In fact, in order to maintain that concentration, not only should there be a penalty for deflect/block but the Force User should also not be able to move.

I have it house ruled that using Move Object makes you helpless. You can spend a Force Point to be flat footed instead.

I really love the new system, but Move Object is hideously overpowered.

Your facts are in error. Maintaining MO only requires a standard action. Since it does not require a full-round action it does not require constant concentration, which negates the basis for your whole argument.

The developers expressly wanted you to be able to move and do MO at the same time. Otherwise they would have made it a full-round action. I suppose that the idea behind their thinking is that you can levitate a large object and then walk with it to where you wish to drop it.
I love it when people try and say my facts are in error. However, your facts are in error.

It does take concentration. I may have overstated by saying "constant" concentration, but it does say in the description "You may maintain your concentration on the targeted object to continue to move it form round to round."

Constant concentration was an exaggeration, that's true.

However, I was not making an argument, so your response, ShadoWarrior, was in error. So nothing I said is negated by any errors or facts. I gave my opinion on how I would like it run in my game, and nothing more. So you have no need to be quite so beligerant.
The developers expressly wanted you to be able to move and do MO at the same time. Otherwise they would have made it a full-round action. I suppose that the idea behind their thinking is that you can levitate a large object and then walk with it to where you wish to drop it.

Nothing would indicate that the object you are moving moves along with you. You wouldn't get to move the object twice by moving the object and then moving yourself.

At least that's how I see it.
Nothing would indicate that the object you are moving moves along with you. You wouldn't get to move the object twice by moving the object and then moving yourself.

At least that's how I see it.

MO allows you to move an object 6 squares. You move the object. Walk towards it. Move it some more as a maintained action. Walk towards it again. Repeat.
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant using the standard action to move the object, and then move with your move action, which could be described as walking with it