Request ruling and explanation

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

An attacking player attacks with a Wrens Run Vanquisher which is enchanted with Lure.  The defending player has 3 untapped Ghoul Trees.  What is the best outcome for the attacking player?   Thanks

Wren's Run Vanquisher

Lure

Ghoultree

Next time please spell the cards correctly, took me a while to find them.

result: all 4 creatures are dead

proud member of the 2011 community team

To expand on that, because your question leads us to believe you might not understand the interaction, here's what happens. (non-technically)

You attack.

You declare the Vanquisher as your attacker.

(Priorities pass here)

Your opponent declares blockers. Lure forces your opponent's creatures to block vanquisher, if able.

3 Ghoultrees block the vanquisher.

(Priorities pass here)

Combat damage is assigned. Vanquisher has Deathtouch, so only 1 damage is required to assign lethal damage to each creature.

You assign one damage to each Ghoultree. Each Ghoultree assigns 10 damage to your Vanquisher

All Ghoultrees die from deathtouch damage, Vanquisher dies from recieving 30 Damage.

I hope that was helpful.

I wasn't technical, so prepare for nitpicks.

Rules Advisor - as of July 15th, 2015

We're going to save the forum! If i'm going to be here, it may as well look nice.

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules and Formats

Tips & Tricks

Astarael7 wrote:
As for the weird implications you raised, we ignore them by sticking our fingers in our ears, squeezing our eyes shut, and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" at the top of our lungs.

Thank you so much that cleared it up a bit though what about the section stating that abilities don't apply when assigning damage?

First of all, what section?

The closest thing I could find was under the rules for Trample, which obviously aren't relevant here. And in any event, even the rules for Trample don't say abilities don't apply. They say this:

702.19b The controller of an attacking creature with trample first assigns damage to the creature(s) blocking it. Once all those blocking creatures are assigned lethal damage, any remaining damage is assigned as its controller chooses among those blocking creatures and the player or planeswalker the creature is attacking. When checking for assigned lethal damage, take into account damage already marked on the creature and damage from other creatures that’s being assigned during the same combat damage step, but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that’s actually dealt. The attacking creature’s controller need not assign lethal damage to all those blocking creatures but in that case can’t assign any damage to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.

That doesn't say abilities don't apply, it says abilities that might change the amount of damage dealt are ignored. That's not the same thing at all, and obviously doesn't include Deathtouch.

Jeff Heikkinen

I have permanently left these forums.

Bad moderation decisions were the last straw, but there were other factors too.

But if you see this and are into tabletop RPGs and/or Final Fantasy and similar JRPGs, why not check out my site at philosoraptorgames.com?

Yes that's the rule I was trying to remember. It makes sense now. Thanks

Small correction, there is a very similarly worded rule in the normal rules for damage assignment. But the similarity extends to that sentence referring to things that change the amount of damage, not to abilities in general. It means that, for example, you don't have to worry about whether some of that damage is going to be prevented.

Jeff Heikkinen

I have permanently left these forums.

Bad moderation decisions were the last straw, but there were other factors too.

But if you see this and are into tabletop RPGs and/or Final Fantasy and similar JRPGs, why not check out my site at philosoraptorgames.com?

Sign In to post comments