Tapping a land enchanted by Wild Growth to pay for a spell

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm unclear on the mechanics when paying for a spell using a land enchanted by Wild Growth or Utopia Sprawl. I announce my spell, name the target(s) if any, tap a Forest or whatever for G, and then what? Wild Growth's ability triggers mid-payment, and players have a chance to respond? Essentially, I want to know how to sequence and verbalize this correctly. And if anyone wants to enlighten me on the correct way to make it known that I'm "floating mana" that would be cool too. Thanks!

Wild Growth has a triggered mana ability. It doesn't use the stack: you get the mana instantly and no one can respond, just like when you tap lands for mana.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

These two abilities are mana ability. They don't use the stack , so can't be responsed.

You just tap your land for mana payment (for your spell) , and announce there are additional mana in your mana pool.

(Because mana pool will be empty when each step/phase ends).

Please autocard , check it on [read this first] - creating a rules thread.

And use lower case c to autocard.

I knew I must be missing something simple Thank you both.

"Floating mana" is a term people use when they have more mana in their pool than they need to cast a spell. If you add ten mana to your pool but only spend five to cast a spell, you have five more floating. Announcing that you have five floating is just a reminder to others that you have more you're probably planning to spend. Keep in mind that mana will empty from your pool between steps and phases if you don't spend it. Announcing that you are floating mana will not allow you to store it for another stepor phase in your turn.

Rules Advisor

Floating mana and sequencing is the consideration you should be making with Arbor Elf and Voyaging Satyr and Greenside Watcher.

I tap this forest for , I float that mana while I activate Arbor Elf to untap that forest and tap it again for another to cast this bigger thing.

Sweet, thanks for the explanations.

A thought occurs. I don't know if something like this exists, but how would it work if a land was enchanted with something like, "Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, you may [something]. If you do, add G to your mana pool", so that it's not a mana ability? I hope a hypothetical is OK in the rules forum. I want to make sure I fully understand everything with abilities while casting spells.

unless the "something" targets, it will still be a mana ability

Chromatic Sphere is an example of a mana ability that will also draw you a card

proud member of the 2011 community team

Nincompoop wrote:

A thought occurs. I don't know if something like this exists, but how would it work if a land was enchanted with something like, "Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, you may [something]. If you do, add G to your mana pool", so that it's not a mana ability? I hope a hypothetical is OK in the rules forum. I want to make sure I fully understand everything with abilities while casting spells.

You would simply have to get all the mana (or at least this conditional mana) into your mana pool before starting to cast the spell.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Enigma256 wrote:

unless the "something" targets, it will still be a mana ability

Chromatic Sphere is an example of a mana ability that will also draw you a card

Good point.

Argus_Panoptes wrote:

You would simply have to get all the mana (or at least this conditional mana) into your mana pool before starting to cast the spell.

If you neglected to have sufficient mana from the hypothetical triggered ability in your mana pool by the time you start to cast your spell, what would happen? Spell is unable to be cast, nothing happens, and you can now correctly take steps to have the conditional mana in your pool and cast it again?

Yes you can cast that spell.

Payment of a spell happens in this step.

601.2f If the total cost includes a mana payment, the player then has a chance to activate mana abilities (see rule 605, “Mana Abilities”). Mana abilities must be activated before costs are paid.

When game ask you for mana payment , you can activate your mana ability until there is enough mana to your mana pool.

Let's say you enchant your forest with Wild growth , and it's only land you control.

You can legally announce to cast Strangleroot geist.

I hope this answer your question.

Please autocard , check it on [read this first] - creating a rules thread.

And use lower case c to autocard.

Thank you, yes, partially, I think  I'm wondering, though, what happens if a land enchanted with an aura that says something like, "Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, you may [something with a target] and add G to your mana pool" (so not a mana ability) is tapped to pay for a spell, and without that extra G, you don't have enough mana.

Nincompoop wrote:

Thank you, yes, partially, I think  I'm wondering, though, what happens if a land enchanted with an aura that says something like, "Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, you may [something with a target] and add G to your mana pool" (so not a mana ability) is tapped to pay for a spell, and without that extra G, you don't have enough mana.

A) You seem to have hit upon the reason there are no such Auras.

B) That triggered ability would go on the stack, so it can't resolve in the middle of casting a spell.  If you want to use such mana in casting a spell, you would have to go through that whole thing before you even start to cast the spell, much like Rhystic Cave.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Thanks so much!

Sign In to post comments