Ethersworn Canonist?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

So lets say I have an Ethersworn Canonist in play.

My opponent plays a non-artifact card, then forgets the Canonists' ability and proceeds to make a second non-artifact play during the same turn.

What happens next?

Cheers.

most likely it will be reversed to just before he cast that spell

but it depends when the error was caught.

proud member of the 2011 community team

Enigma256 wrote:

most likely it will be reversed to just before he cast that spell

but it depends when the error was caught.

So whether I see the card or not is irrelevant?

I just request they put the card back in hand like it never happened, and then proceed?

yes, if you catch it right away the card goes back into the hand, the lands get untapped.

basically, treat it as if he just showed you one of the cards in his hand ;)

If it gets discovered later (say, the next turn) it will most likely remain cast.

proud member of the 2011 community team

if this happens in a tournament, you should call a judge and let them sort it out

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

If you're looking for an official ruling, the best answer we can give here is "it depends."

As 2goth said: If there's a judge or other tournament official around, call him/her over.

If you're playing Magic at home with friends, then you should try your best to reverse the action without messing up the game too much. If it would be too disruptive or complex to "undo," then you should just leave it as is. Note that the determination of what is considered "disruptive" is a subjective one -- you and your opponent will need to come to an agreement on how to best handle the mistake. Note also that your opponent is not completely at fault, even though he performed the illegal action. All players have a responsibility to maintain an accurate board state at all times.

Sign In to post comments