Is there a limit to how many creatures can block?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Ok, so I'm a returning player, but haven't ever really gotten into depth with the rules. (I was in elementary school when I used to play.)

I have a situation that has occured before, and I can't find anything that really answers my dilemna.

The question is, can you only block until the attacking creatures attack power has been met, or can you block with as many cards as you like?

For example:

A zombie Minotaur token created from stolen identity  (4/6) with Chorus of Might that adds +3/+3 (because of 3 creatures in field) as well as trample.

Can I block the creature (now 7/9) with a Zombie Minotaur (4/6), a War Priest of Thune (2/2), an Undercity Informer (2/3), and a Master of Diversion (2/2)? (That's the defending lineup I gave.)

Blocking it with all of those cards would deal enough to kill it, but the argument is that I can't block beyond the attack points so I could only assign the Minotaur and Priest. Which would sacrifice those cards, but not kill the attacking token. 

Any rule citations would be awesome. 

Yes you can.

Single attacking creature can be blocked by several creatures.

(But in most case , single creature can block only one attacker , there is some exception.)

No matter how much the attackking creature's P/T , defending player can announce which creature(s) he/she want to declare as blocker(s).

Please autocard , check it on [read this first] - creating a rules thread.

And use lower case c to autocard.

JDahle wrote:

but the argument is that I can't block beyond the attack points so I could only assign the Minotaur and Priest. Which would sacrifice those cards, but not kill the attacking token. 

Any rule citations would be awesome. 

Do you mean your friend said you can't block with creatures if the summation of thier's power are more than attackker toughness?

That is incorrect.

You can declare all creatures you have mentioned above to be blockers.

To make sure that the attacker will die and to avoid "trample" damage to you.

If your opponent attack you with 5/5 creature , you are legally to block with ten 1/1 creatures as well.

Please autocard , check it on [read this first] - creating a rules thread.

And use lower case c to autocard.

Is there anywhere in the rule book that states there is no limit?

The argument is that after the attacking power is used up, it's no longer a defense but a counter attack, so it shouldn't be allowed.

Currently it's a friendly argument, we're just wanting to know the official stance.

It's implied by this rule:

509.1h An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.

Note that declaring blockers has nothing to do with either creatures power or toughness.

a 10/10 creature can block a 1/1.  (for that matter 3 10/10 creatures can block a single 1/1)

MTG Rules Advisor

JDahle wrote:

The argument is that after the attacking power is used up, it's no longer a defense but a counter attack, so it shouldn't be allowed.

Currently it's a friendly argument, we're just wanting to know the official stance.

Is your friend able to find where is what he states about the rules? :P

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

JDahle wrote:

First, there is no such thing as a counter-attack in magic.  There is attacking and blocking, and that's it.  A creature also can only attack during it's controller's turn, so blocking can never considered a "counter-attack" both because there is no such thing and because one cannot have anything labeled as an "attack" on their opponents turn.

There is no rule stating that there is no limit to the number of blockers as there needn't be one.  Rather, the counter argument you are facing needs to provide the rule that that side is the case.  And I can guarentee you that no such rule about a limit to blockers is in the comprehensive rules.  You can look it up yourself in the comprehensive rules, and ask him to do the same.  It would be exceptionally odd if there was a "limit" to it that was not explicitly laid out in the rules, wouldn't you think?

Here's the appropriate rule

509.1a. The defending player chooses which creatures that he or she controls, if any, will block. The chosen creatures must be untapped. For each of the chosen creatures, the defending player chooses one creature for it to block that's attacking him, her, or a planeswalker he or she controls.

You'll notice it doesn't require you to pick an unblocked attacker. You pick any attacker.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Also ask him, how Taunting Elf should work, if you cannot assign any blockers to him (0 power) as he claims.

JDahle wrote:
Can I block the creature (now 7/9) with a Zombie Minotaur (4/6), a War Priest of Thune (2/2), an Undercity Informer (2/3), and a Master of Diversion?
Yes, you can block an attacker with as many creatures as you wish, because...

1) rule 509.1a says you can block any attacker with any blocker, and

2) no existing rule says you can't block the same attacker with another blocker (except those rules created by your friend's imagination)

JDahle wrote:
the argument is that I can't block beyond the attack points
There exists no rule in Magic that says anything of the sort. I call this the Monopoly Syndrome: inventing convenient new «rules» as the game goes.

JDahle wrote:
That's the defending lineup I gave.
Be careful here: you do get to pick which of your creatures will block which attacker, but then it is the attacking player who lines them up; in other words, if the attacking creature isn't powerfull enough to kill all your blockers, the attacking player gets to decide which of your blockers he'll kill. (rule 509.2)

Sorry we had to increase taxes: my limo needs new tires. (eh! they were two weeks old)

Consider these two objections to a blocking declaration:

• You can't declare that additional creature as a blocker because your other blockers are already blocking it to its attack points.
  • You can't declare that (additional) creature as a blocker because my cat's breath smells like cat food.

The actual rules treat these the same.  If anyone claims that one is valid and the other is not, challenge them to find the rule that says to treat these differently.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments