Evolve, Devotion, and, Legend Rule

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

I have a Cloudfin Raptor in play with 2   +1/+1 counters on it, a Bident of Thassa, and a Thassa, God of the Sea in play. I cast a second Thassa, God of the Sea. Does the Cloudfin Raptor evolve again? If so, what order do I need to have the triggers resolve?

vorvrinick wrote:

I have a Cloudfin Raptor in play with 2   +1/+1 counters on it, a Bident of Thassa, and a Thassa, God of the Sea in play. I cast a second Thassa, God of the Sea. Does the Cloudfin Raptor evolve again?

yes, but only if you send the Thassa that just entered to the yard.
vorvrinick wrote:
If so, what order do I need to have the triggers resolve?
There's only one trigger in your scenario.

The legend rule is a state based action, not a trigger.

Your second Thassa resolves and enters the field. Your devotion is five so it's a creature and has a higher P/T than Raptor so evolve triggers.
State based actions see two copies of Thassa and you choose one to put in the yard and the evolve trigger is now put on the stack.

A little later it resolves and gives the Raptor a third +1/+1 counter if the Thassa you binned was the one that entered the field because the trigger looks at the Thassa that entered to compare it's P/T and if it no longer exists, then it uses what it had at the last moment it was on the field.

However, if you binned the pre-existing Thassa, then the one evolve is looking for is still on the field, but doesn't have a P/T because it isn't a creature and would use 0/0 and no counter would be placed.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

1) Thassa#2 enters Field; evolve triggers but doesn't go on the Stack yet

2) You kill one Thassa (too many of the same Legend)

3) Evolve is placed on the Stack

4) Evolve eventually resolves (if you killed Thassa #2)

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

Sign In to post comments