Chains, Moor and Loam

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Chains of Mephistopheles

Barren Moor

Life from the Loam

 

Just running through my thoughts to make sure I'm playing correctly.

 

504. Draw Step

504.1. First, the active player draws a card. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack.

504.2. Second, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of the draw step and any other abilities that have triggered go on the stack.

504.3. Third, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

 

614.6. If an event is replaced, it never happens. A modified event occurs instead, which may in turn 
trigger abilities. Note that the modified event may contain instructions that can’t be carried out, in 
which case the impossible instruction is simply ignored. 
614.7. If a replacement effect would replace an event, but that event never happens, the replacement 
effect simply doesn’t do anything.

 

I believe I can do what I want to do with these cards with the following game state:

  • Chains is in play
  • Moor is in hand
  • Loam is in the yard
  • I have a black mana available

 

Actions I need to take:

  1. Draw card for my turn.
  2. Cycle Moor.
  3. Replace one of these card draws with Loam's dredge.
  4. Move to my first main phase.

 

The expected resulting change in game state is:

  • I drew a card from my library
  • Loam is in hand
  • Moor is in the yard
  • I have one less black mana available
  • I did not discard or mill to Chains

Is there something I am missing that it would cause it to not work like this?

it seems you got it right

 

just make sure you cycle in your draw step, otherwise you have to be careful which draw to replace with Dredge for the Chains not to apply

proud member of the 2011 community team

mdjenkins wrote:

I believe I can do what I want to do with these cards with the following game state:

  • Chains is in play
  • Moor is in hand
  • Loam is in the yard
  • I have a black mana available

 

Actions I need to take:

  1. Draw card for my turn.
  2. Cycle Moor.
  3. Replace one of these card draws with Loam's dredge.
  4. Move to my first main phase.

 

The expected resulting change in game state is:

  • I drew a card from my library
  • Loam is in hand
  • Moor is in the yard
  • I have one less black mana available
  • I did not discard or mill to Chains

Is there something I am missing that it would cause it to not work like this?

Mssing one result:
  • Three cards were milled

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

Chaikov wrote:

 

mdjenkins wrote:

I believe I can do what I want to do with these cards with the following game state:

  • Chains is in play
  • Moor is in hand
  • Loam is in the yard
  • I have a black mana available

 

Actions I need to take:

  1. Draw card for my turn.
  2. Cycle Moor.
  3. Replace one of these card draws with Loam's dredge.
  4. Move to my first main phase.

 

The expected resulting change in game state is:

  • I drew a card from my library
  • Loam is in hand
  • Moor is in the yard
  • I have one less black mana available
  • I did not discard or mill to Chains

Is there something I am missing that it would cause it to not work like this?

 

Mssing one result:

  • Three cards were milled

How do you figure? Even if I could cast Loam during my draw step, returning up to three cards from my graveyard doesn't fit the definition of draw.

 

Draw 
1. To put the top card of a player’s library into his or her hand as a turn-based action or as the result of an 
effect that uses the word “draw.” See rule 120, “Drawing a Card.” 
2. The result of a game in which neither player wins or loses. See rule 104.4.

Loam has Dredge 3

so 3 cards will be milled

proud member of the 2011 community team

Enigma256 wrote:

Loam has Dredge 3

so 3 cards will be milled

Oh yeah. I do need to pay for the Dredge don't I... 

Guess I missed that one change.

Sign In to post comments