Triggered Abilities

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

If I have rage thrower and goblin warchief in play and my opponent plays cleansing beam on the rage thrower, does it still trigger for the goblin going to the graveyard?

Yes. The Rage Thrower and the Warchief die at the same time and all creatures that die at the same time see each other doing that for the purpose of determining triggers. Other goblins you control may die very slightly later and the Rage Thrower will not see them.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

AH_Neri9 wrote:

If I have rage thrower and goblin warchief in play and my opponent plays cleansing beam on the rage thrower, does it still trigger for the goblin going to the graveyard?

Yes.

603.6d Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions. Continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities must be treated specially. Leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out, abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library, abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached, abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object, and abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane will trigger based on their existence, and the appearance of objects, prior to the event rather than afterward. The game has to "look back in time" to determine if these abilities trigger.
Example: Two creatures are on the battlefield along with an artifact that has the ability "Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life." Someone plays a spell that destroys all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments. The artifact's ability triggers twice, even though the artifact goes to its owner's graveyard at the same time as the creatures.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

The look back in time rule, that's what I thought.

thanks for the help guys.

Sign In to post comments