Ally = subtype?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

A friend of mine and I were discussing future deck builds, and he stated that one of his plans was to make an ally build deck with Xenograft enabling his non-ally creatures turn into allies.  I stated that this is incorrect, as ally is, IIRC, a subtype, not an actual type that can be shenaniganed with Xenograft.  He stated that someone told him it was possible back in the Zendikar block.  So, bottom line:  can Xenograft grant ally type to creatures?

Ally, Elf, and Warrior are a few examples of subtypes associated with the creature card type. Subtypes associated with the creature card type are called "creature types", and Xenograft can grant any of these.

The only "actual types" in Magic are Land, Creature, Artifact, Enchantment, Planeswalker, Instant, Sorcery, and Tribal, plus a few others for casual variants (Planes, Schemes, etc.)

If Xenograft could only shenanigan "actual types" while still being limited to creatures, the only thing it would be able to do is turn creatures into creatures.

Everything after the - on the type line is a subtype (except the expnansion symbol). This includes Ally.

Tribal should be a sub type

oh weait I sub type has to have a type to sub devide

Tribal should be a suer type

NO WAR

On Entrance; put a land you control owner's hand.

: gather , or .

and tap a creature you control: add or remove

an underground counter to or from that creaure.

Creatures with underground counters

can only block or be blocked by

other creatures with underground counters.

~ancient and forgotten dwell

ChazA4 wrote:

A friend of mine and I were discussing future deck builds, and he stated that one of his plans was to make an ally build deck with Xenograft enabling his non-ally creatures turn into allies.  I stated that this is incorrect, as ally is, IIRC, a subtype, not an actual type that can be shenaniganed with Xenograft.  He stated that someone told him it was possible back in the Zendikar block.  So, bottom line:  can Xenograft grant ally type to creatures?

If you think it couldn't grant the "Ally" creature type, I'm very curious to hear what you thought Xenograft did.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Matt_Holck wrote:
Wizards found that it eas easier to write the rules if Tribal was a type instead of a supettype, but I agree with you, it makes more sense as a supertype.

Everything that comes after the dash ( - ) on the type line is a subtype.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

ChazA4 wrote:
Rule 205.3m: Creatures and tribals share their lists of subtypes; these subtypes are called creature types. The creature types are Advisor, Ally, Angel,...

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

Matt_Holck wrote:

Tribal should be a sub type

oh weait I sub type has to have a type to sub devide

Supertype-Type-Subtype makes sense; Supertype-Subtype makes not. (well, less)

Supertypes cannot have Subtypes and Tribal was created with the sole intent of having Subtypes. It had to be a Type.

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

Sign In to post comments