Illusionary Mask

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Say I have an Illusionary Mask. (Required reading, I know.)

Back? Ok now let's say I use it to play a creature face-down. Doesn't matter - how about Runeclaw Bear.

Then, I use it to play Vesuvan Shapeshifter.

One turn later, I go to attacks. Mask replaces becoming tapped with (TurnFaceUp then become tapped), and I'm attacking with the Bear *and* the VS.

As VS turns face-up, I'm going to copy the bear. Surely I can do this, as that creature card is on the battlefield already, and surely VS will still gain its "turn face down" ability. The question is, will VS be a bear with that ability, or a nameless colorless 2/2 with that ability?

KyCygni wrote:

Say I have an Illusionary Mask. (Required reading, I know.)

Back? Ok now let's say I use it to play a creature face-down. Doesn't matter - how about Runeclaw Bear.

Then, I use it to play Vesuvan Shapeshifter.

One turn later, I go to attacks. Mask replaces becoming tapped with (TurnFaceUp then become tapped), and I'm attacking with the Bear *and* the VS.

As VS turns face-up, I'm going to copy the bear. Surely I can do this, as that creature card is on the battlefield already, and surely VS will still gain its "turn face down" ability. The question is, will VS be a bear with that ability, or a nameless colorless 2/2 with that ability?

It will be nameless and colorless.  You copied before turning them face up.

614.4. Replacement effects must exist before the appropriate event occurs -- they can't "go back in time" and change something that's already happened. Spells or abilities that generate these effects are often cast or activated in response to whatever would produce the event and thus resolve before that event would occur.

Example: A player can activate an ability to regenerate a creature in response to a spell that would destroy it. Once the spell resolves, though, it's too late to regenerate the creature.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

I copied before turning it face-up...hm. Can't I just choose *not* to do that?

There are multiple replacement effects, so I get to choose the order, right? The only dependent one is that VS depends on Mask, so it must be after that one. I'll choose this order:

1st: Turn Bear face up and it becomes tapped.

2nd: Turn VS face up and it becomes tapped.

3rd: Make VS a copy of the Bear. At this point, the Mask-Bear replacement effect has already been applied.

So I'm now definitively copying the bear after *the bear* turns face up (not VS!). Does it work now?

In your openiing post you fail to mention that you were playing Vesuvan Shapeshifter face down.

STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin

KyCygni wrote:

I copied before turning it face-up...hm. Can't I just choose *not* to do that?

You can choose not to copy at all.  Which is what you've chosen if you don't copy prior to turning it face up.

KyCygni wrote:
There are multiple replacement effects, so I get to choose the order, right?

The order in which you determine any replacements, not an order in which you carry out the resulting events.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments