ORDEAL OF HELIOD

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

Does the trigger to sacrifice Ordeal of Heliod count all +1/+1 counters on the enchanted creature, such as those added via the Heroic ability or even other copies of Ordeal of Heliod?

For instance, if on turn 1 I lay a Hopeful Eidolon, turn 2 I enchant it with Ordeal of Heliod, attack and give it +1/+1, then on turn 3 I enchant it with a second Ordeal of Heliod, attacking would give it two more +1/+1 counters, making three, would I then be able to sacrifice both Ordeals, gain 20 life, and have a 4/4 Hopeful Eidolon?

Similarly, if I attach an Ordeal of Heliod on turn 2 to a turn 1 Favored Hoplite, it would get +1/+1 for Heroic, +1/+1 for attacking on turn 2, and on turn 3, when I attack with it again giving it its third +1/+1 counter, would I be allowed to then sac Ordeal and gain the life?

Does the trigger to sacrifice Ordeal of Heliod count all +1/+1 counters on the enchanted creature, such as those added via the Heroic ability or even other copies of Ordeal of Heliod?
Yes. 

For instance, if on turn 1 I lay a Hopeful Eidolon, turn 2 I enchant it with Ordeal of Heliod, attack and give it +1/+1, then on turn 3 I enchant it with a second Ordeal of Heliod, attacking would give it two more +1/+1 counters, making three, would I then be able to sacrifice both Ordeals, gain 20 life, and have a 4/4 Hopeful Eidolon?
Not quite. When you attack for the second time, both ordeals trigger. One of them resolves, and puts a +1/+1 counter on, for a total of 2 counters. This isn't enough to sacrifice it. Then you resolve the second trigger, and put a 3rd +1/+1 counter on. As a result, you sacrifice the second ordeal and gain 10 life.

But the first ordeal is still there, for the moment. On your next turn, if you attack, the ordeal will trigger, you'll add a 4th counter, and you'll sacrifice the ordeal, gaining another 10 life and leaving you with a 5/5 eidolon.

Similarly, if I attach an Ordeal of Heliod on turn 2 to a turn 1 Favored Hoplite, it would get +1/+1 for Heroic, +1/+1 for attacking on turn 2, and on turn 3, when I attack with it again giving it its third +1/+1 counter, would I be allowed to then sac Ordeal and gain the life?
Yes.

The card does exactly what it says. When the enchanted creature attacks, you first put a +1/+1 counter on it and then count the total number of +1/+1 counters it has (this doesn't care where those counters came from). If that total is three or more, you sacrifice it. And when you sacrifice it (this also doesn't care why you're doing it), you gain 10 life.

Thanks guys!