Mana cost check vs. Bestow

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

If I have a creature that has been cast for its Bestow cost on another of my creatures, and someone plays a card on the Bestow creature that checks for the mana cost, would it see the regular mana cost, or the Bestow cost?

Please specific what card you mention it.

Please autocard , check it on [read this first] - creating a rules thread.

And use lower case c to autocard.

Usually it will refer to the regular mana cost in the top right corner (the bestow cost is an alternate cost).

There may be rare cards that deal with "amount of mana spent to cast..." but I can't think of a relevant one.

Mockingbird_UK wrote:

Usually it will refer to the regular mana cost in the top right corner (the bestow cost is an alternate cost).

There may be rare cards that deal with "amount of mana spent to cast..." but I can't think of a relevant one.

Don't look towards the latest commander decks... :P

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

The "mana cost" is always the symbols in the upper right. It makes no difference what mana was actually used to cast that creature (or even whether any mana was). The only exception is that a copy of something has the mana cost of whatever it's copying.

Some cards, mostly in the newest Commander set, care what mana was used to play them. These cards explicitly say this, and do not use the phrase "mana cost". As far as I can see, there's no way for your Bestow question to arise in connection with these cards, since they only care what mana was used to play themselves.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

Zoidberg wrote:

Mockingbird_UK wrote:

Don't look towards the latest commander decks... :P

I've seen them but they are entirely self-referential, hence I decided to go with "can't think of a relevant one"

dangerousbeans wrote:

Nope - converted mana cost is always derived from the mana cost in the top right corner.

That is what I figured. I just wanted confirmation. Thank you!

And the card in question was Serene Offering.

Always go with a card's current Oracle wording. "Total casting cost" is obsolete, all those cards now use "converted mana cost". Mind you, that "total cost" is still a used term and means the sum of all costs to cast/activate a spell/ability.

He said "mana cost" in the OP. Lots of people are replying as though he'd used some other term. No-one mentioned "total casting cost" until the most recent post, and that's not the only reply I found odd in that respect.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

"Total casting cost" is what's printed on Serene Offering. My post merely was meant to make it clear, that one should always check the Oracle wording, especially for older cards.

Sign In to post comments