Sphinx Ambassador vs revealed top card

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

How does Sphinx Ambassador interact with things like Field of Dreams or my opponent's Oracle of Mul Daya? If a creature is on top, does my opponent know whether I picked that one or not picked that one?

nothing says to move the searched card to the top of the library so it has absolutely no interaction with them

technically, the card you chose will remain where it is and the library will be shuffled afterwards anyways so when you take the library to search it you can turn the top card the same way as the rest and mix up his library and pull one out, if he guesses wrong, it's going on the field and his library will be shuffled, if he guesses right, it gets shuffled with the library

technically, you aren't supposed to change the order of the library while you're searching it, but it's about to be shuffled anyways so I doubt any judges would take issue with it

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

TobyornotToby wrote:

How does Sphinx Ambassador interact with things like Field of Dreams or my opponent's Oracle of Mul Daya? If a creature is on top, does my opponent know whether I picked that one or not picked that one?

Technically the order of your opponent's library doesn't change while you search it and the card you chose is still in it, so you can choose any card and he wouldn't know even if it was the top card.

In practise, when playing with physical cards it is very hard to conceal whether or not the card you chose was the top card, because for practical reasons you're going to have to physically separate it from the rest of his library, so he would know whether or not it was the top card, but nothing else that would help identify it.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

Technically, the card never leaves their library until they fail to name it. Player short-hand to remove the card and then have them guess it is actually what is at fault. A quick work-around is to search their library and write the name of the chosen card on a piece of paper. The opponent would then choose a card name as well, and if they guessed the incorrect card, you would get the creature. That way even if the card currently being revealed is the card you wish to choose, there would be no way of them knowing that you have chosen it.