Monstrosity mechanic

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi, i have a question about monstrosity. When you use the ability monstrosity, is the creature permanently monstrious from that point on if nothing returns or exiles the card?

ive heard conflicting results that you have to cast the monstrous abilty every time to gain the special effects of it. Take hundred-handed one for instance. When monstrous he gets +3/+3, reach and can block an additional 99 creatures. Do i have to cast it every time i want to block an additional 99 creatures and have reach? Or is it constantly in effect from the time of the cast?

Nothing is being "cast" here (activated abilities are never cast), but that terminology quibble aside - once it's made monstrous, a creature stays that way for as long as it remains on the battlefield.

If an effect has a duration after which it ends, the card will spell this out, including an unambiguous specification of when the effect ends. You'll notice there's no such specification for Monstrous.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

Once a creature becomes monstrous, it stays monstrous until it leaves the battlefield.

Also, abilities aren't cast; only spells can be cast. Abilities are either activated or triggered (activated, in this case).

Hmm interesting. Theres a 10/10 defener indestructible for 8. Monstrosity 10 for 10 mana. When monstrous he gains trample and loses defender. So essentially he becomes a 20/20 indestructible trample. And never loses that unless he leaves the field? That seems way too overpowered

Power level is relative to format. Most competitive games will never reach 8 mana, let alone 10.

Besides, we already have Blightsteel Colossus for game-winning indestructible tramplers, and he's both harder to deal with and easier to cheat into play.

I disagree on the mana aspect. In a big green deck, with the one mana cost elf, the new devotion for green mana tapper, and land accel, it seems pretty plausible for turn 5-6 depending on luck

Stevenc0021 wrote:
Hmm interesting. Theres a 10/10 defener indestructible for 8. Monstrosity 10 for 10 mana. When monstrous he gains trample and loses defender. So essentially he becomes a 20/20 indestructible trample. And never loses that unless he leaves the field? That seems way too overpowered

This is incorrect.  When Colossus of Akros becomes monstrous, it does not lose defender; instead, it can attack as though it didin't have it.

Rules Advisor

Stevenc0021 wrote:
So essentially he becomes a 20/20 indestructible trample. And never loses that unless he leaves the field? That seems way too overpowered
Try me.

Sorry we had to increase taxes: my limo needs new tires. (eh! they were at least two weeks old)

not entirely true depending on format....some formats still have cards which can remove or move counters; plus indestructable does not prevent you casting enchants on a permanent. So although it will always be monstrous it can still be reduced below 20/20.

Stevenc0021 wrote:

You expect an 8 mana or 10 mana card to be powerful. Just look at Kozilek, Dark Imposter or Anonwen, ruin sage

There was really no need to bump a long-dead thread for that.

Sign In to post comments