Activating Monstrosity?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

If I do not pay the monstrosity price, but instead have a different spell or permanent give the same amount of counters to the creature, is the monstrosity ability activated?

I feel really sorry for you: waiting for an answer for 15 minutes was inconceivable here, two weeks ago.

But the website has been turned upside down lately; WotC called this «improvement». Go figure.

If you're old enough, you'll remember that this is how the Internet looked like, (and functioned like) 30 years ago.

To answer the question, no.

Adding +1/+1 counters will not trigger the monstrosity trigger.

MTG Rules Advisor

The triggered abilities that trigger on a creature becoming monstrous only trigger on them actually becoming monstrous. This doesn't have anything to do with the counters that are being placed on the creature with Monstrosity. The Monstrosity ability has two independant effects : putting a number of counters, and making the creature monstrous. One isn't dependant on the other, you can activate Polukranos, World Eater's ability with X = 0, and it still becomes monstrous (for what it's worth, i.e. not much :P). Putting counters on the creature by other means doesn't make it monstrous.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

you can activate Polukranos, World Eater's ability with X = 0, and it still becomes monstrous (for what it's worth, i.e. not much :P).
It's a great trick to know about if your opponent is the one with polukranos, and you have a Portent of Betrayal. Yoink, Smash, Monstrous for 0.