clarification on "heroic" trigger

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

Today at the pre-release someone had a Phalanx Leader and they targetted it with an enchantment. In response I bounced it. They said "That's fine, I still get my 1/1 counters on my other creatures because he was targeted and the ability went on the stack.

Is this true as well if I were to counter the spell that targets the Phalanx leader? Targets are assigned when you cast not resolve the spell... so is heroic strong even against counter magic?

Yes.

thanks for the response. Blah! It just doesn't seem fair! The heroes grant their boon I guess because their plainswalker tried to cast a spell on them. =p

Planeswalkers have abilities, not spells, therefore it would not have been able to trigger the Heroic.

He means Planeswalker in the sense of "Powerful mage with the ability to travel between planes", not the Planeswalker card type.

Players are Planeswalkers from a flavor perspective, if not a rules perspective.

Ah. I just say player/opponent, for the sake of clarity between the person playing and the card type.

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this heroic thread... If you do I'll make another one, but as this is topical...

I have four Questions about Heroic triggers. 

1) Do enchant creatures trigger Heroic?

2) Does the Bloodrush ability trigger Heroic?

3) Does the Scavenge ability trigger Heroic?

4) Do abilities such as Goblin Shortcutter's (when Goblin Shortcutter enters the battlefield, target creature can't block this turn) trigger Heroic, if you use it to target one of your own creatures?

The_Lord_Zod wrote:

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this heroic thread... If you do I'll make another one, but as this is topical...

I have four Questions about Heroic triggers. 

1) Do enchant creatures trigger Heroic?

2) Does the Bloodrush ability trigger Heroic?

3) Does the Scavenge ability trigger Heroic?

4) Do abilities such as Goblin Shortcutter's (when Goblin Shortcutter enters the battlefield, target creature can't block this turn) trigger Heroic, if you use it to target one of your own creatures?

1. Yes (when it is first cast).

2-4. No.

Regarding 1, Aura spells do indeed target when they are cast. Auras entering the battlefield some other way (a) are not spells and (b) typically don't target, so they would not trigger Heroic.

Regarding 2-4, as already touched on in one of the answers above, an ability is NOT a spell for any purpose, ever.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

1) If you cast them via bestow, yes. In general, aura spells target the thing they are going to enchant.

2) No. bloodrush are an activated abilities, not spells, so heroic triggers don't go off of them.

3) No. like 2) scavenge is an activated ability, not a spell.

4) No. That's a triggered ability, which again is not a spell.

Thank you guys very much for your help.

rezzahan wrote:
1) If you cast them via bestow, yes. In general, aura spells target the thing they are going to enchant.

The question wasn't if enchantment creatures trigger heroic, it was if enchant creatures trigger heroic.  All spells cast via bestow are enchant creatures, but not all enchant creatures are cast via bestow.  The answer is yes, all enchant creatures cast will trigger heroic.

Rules Advisor

I would also like to biuld on this thread if it is ok and I too have a question.

1) In reguards to a planeswalker ability from ajani, caller of the pride...    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370680

Would his ability to target a creature you have and add a +1/+1 counter to it also trigger the heroic ability of say a favored hoplite?

2) Could you target Ajani with his own abiliity to increase his "loyalty" counter to make him harder to kill/get rid of?

1) No , that's not work.

For Heroic ability to trigger , you have to cast a spell (and that spell have to target your Heroic creature).

Ajani's first ability does target , but it's not a spell.

2) No , you can't.

2.1) Ajani's first ability can target only creature , so you can't target itself (or any other planeswalker)

2.2) +1/+1 counter is not +1 loyalty counter , these are different type of "counter"

However , it should be better to create a new thread for your qeustion.

And please auto card.

Ajani, caller of the Pride

Favored Hoplite 

Please autocard , check it on [read this first] - creating a rules thread.

And use lower case c to autocard.

pok_onnet wrote:
2.1) Ajani's first ability can target only creature , so you can't target itself (or any other planeswalker)

"Hello, Ajani?  It's Gideon."

Rules Advisor

2. Note that the first abilit of Ajani says "put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature" so zero targets can be chosen.  You can activate the ability with no creatures on the battlefield just to gain the loyalty.

MTG Rules Advisor
Sign In to post comments