Reconnaisance

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reconnaissance

I had some questions about the timing of Reconnaissance.  I think I know the answer to some of these, but I'll ask all of them to be complete.

1) Can I attack with a creature then activate Reconnaissance to untap it and remove it from combat before blockers are declared?

2) Can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature and remove it from combat in response to an opponent casting something like Second Thoughts on one of my attacking creatures?  Does the spell fizzle since when it resolves the creature isn't attacking anymore?

3) Can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature after an opponent has declared a blocker against my attacking creature, but before any damage would be dealt?

4) Can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature after an opponent has declared a blocker and first strike damage has been dealt, but before regular damage is dealt (assuming the attacking creature is still alive to be targeted by Reconnaissance)?

5) Can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature after first strike and regular damage are dealt?

6) If there is no first strike damage, can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature after regular damage is dealt?
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Yes to all.  
Reconnaissance

I had some questions about the timing of Reconnaissance.  I think I know the answer to some of these, but I'll ask all of them to be complete.

1) Can I attack with a creature then activate Reconnaissance to untap it and remove it from combat before blockers are declared?

Yes

2) Can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature and remove it from combat in response to an opponent casting something like Second Thoughts on one of my attacking creatures?  Does the spell fizzle since when it resolves the creature isn't attacking anymore?

Yes

3) Can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature after an opponent has declared a blocker against my attacking creature, but before any damage would be dealt?

Yes

4) Can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature after an opponent has declared a blocker and first strike damage has been dealt, but before regular damage is dealt (assuming the attacking creature is still alive to be targeted by Reconnaissance)?

Yes

5) Can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature after first strike and regular damage are dealt?

Yes

6) If there is no first strike damage, can I activate Reconnaissance to untap a creature after regular damage is dealt?

Yes

An attacking creature is an attacking creature until the end of the end of combat step, which is after all the other combat steps.   You can activate the ability any time after you declare the creature attacking up until the end of combat.

combat damage is not on the stack ?
but first strike damage is dealt before regular damage

and abilities may be activated in between first strike damage and regular damage ?
NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

Sesame Street - Somebody Come And play

combat damage is not on the stack ?

Correct, and has not been for several years now.

but first strike damage is dealt before regular damage

and abilities may be activated in between first strike damage and regular damage ?

Yes.  First Strike damage is dealt in a combat step before regular damage is dealt in the next step.  Before the game can move from one step to the next each player will get priority.
Sign In to post comments