Legal cards for type 2 playing

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
How can you tell which cards are legal for type 2 tournaments? I see the Core 2010 set, the ALara Reborn, Conflux. I here a lot of people saying cards like the 9th edition and so on are not allowed. Is there an actual list to look at explaining it.

Sorry I an new to this.
How can you tell which cards are legal for type 2 tournaments? I see the Core 2010 set, the ALara Reborn, Conflux. I here a lot of people saying cards like the 9th edition and so on are not allowed. Is there an actual list to look at explaining it.

Sorry I an new to this.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrstandard

Tenth Edition has been replaced with Magic 2010.
All cards from the last two blocks and the current core set are legal in Standard (Type 2).

The last two blocks were Lorwyn/Shadowmoor (which was actually two mini-blocks; it's complicated) and Alara.

The current core set is 2010.

Any card that was printed in any of these sets is legal in Type 2.

Note that Zendikar comes out soon. When it does, Lorwyn, Morningtide, Shadowmoor, and Eventide will rotate out of Standard.

Edit: Yeah, what bloatation said.
Okay so when Zendikar comes out it will be Alara and Zendikar with the Core 2010 set?

It looks like Conflux, Alara Reborn and Shards of Alara are also playable. So do these three fall into the same block? Then Zendikar will be the second block. Then it may have more expansions as well?

Sorry for the cray or simple question, I love the game. I am having trouble follwing the decks.

Thank you for all of your help.
Mark
It looks like Conflux, Alara Reborn and Shards of Alara are also playable. So do these three fall into the same block?

Yes. The Alara block consists of Shards of Alara, Conflux, and Alara Reborn.
Then Zendikar will be the second block. Then it may have more expansions as well?

Yes, there will be two more expansions after Zendikar in the Zendikar block. The second expansion in the Zendikar block will be named Worldwake. The name of the third expansion is yet to be announced.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
Sets are typically released in connected blocks of three. Standard normally consists of the most recent block, the block before it, and the most recent Core Set.

Lorwyn/Shadowmoor had four sets just to shake things up, but it still counts as a single block for rotation purposes. When the Zendikar block starts in a month or two, all four Lorwyn sets will cycle out.

Alara block cosists of Shards, Conflux and Reborn. Zendikar will include Zendikar itself and its two expenasions.
Note that the easiest way to tell, card-by-card, what's legal in Standard (or any other format) is to use Gatherer and do a search with "Filter Card Format" set to Standard. This way, you can see which of your 9E cards, for example, are still in Standard.
Sign In to post comments