?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
If a player plays bloodbraid elf and i play silence would the elf still come into play?
Yes.

Silence is NOT a counterspell.

It only stops the player from play any future Spells, such as the one they might have played via the Cascade trigger.
It does NOT affect Spells that were already played before Silence resolves.
Of course. The Bloodbraid Elf is already played. Silence does nothing against spells resolving.

Also, please give your threads more descriptive titles. That way, other people with the same question can find it.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

If a player plays bloodbraid elf and i play silence would the elf still come into play?

Yes, the Elf will still come into play, though if you played the Silence before Cascade resolves he or she won't be able to play the second spell.

Is there something about "Spells cast before this resolves are unaffected" that is unclear? I do not mean to sound mean or snarky, but I am not sure where the confusion here lies.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

so i would want to play silence at the begining of their upkeep?
That's the first chance you can play it in their turn, which would limit what they could do for the rest of their turn...

However, when you would "want" to do anything is not a Rules question; Ask in the Strategies forum.
That's more of a strategy question and it depends on the circumstances, but the first opportunity to cast it in a turn is the upkeep, yes. And besides instants and cards with Flash they play in response, they won't be able to play any spells that turn.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic