shroud and enchantments

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was playing a 2 v 2 with some friends last night, and we had a debate about if an action was legal. Person A threw down a wolf creature. Person B enchanted the creature under his control. Then gave the wolf whispersilk cloak, making it unblockable and giving it shroud. (I've been reading, would giving the creature shroud actually remove the enchantment to begin with?)

Player A then played a card to destroy target enchantment and targeted it at the wolf. Would the shroud of the wolf protect its enchantments and equipments? Or since it wasnt targeted at the wolf at all, was it a legal move?
I was playing a 2 v 2 with some friends last night, and we had a debate about if an action was legal. Person A threw down a wolf creature. Person B enchanted the creature under his control. Then gave the wolf whispersilk cloak, making it unblockable and giving it shroud. (I've been reading, would giving the creature shroud actually remove the enchantment to begin with?)

Player A then played a card to destroy target enchantment and targeted it at the wolf. Would the shroud of the wolf protect its enchantments and equipments? Or since it wasnt targeted at the wolf at all, was it a legal move?

You can't target the Wolf with Demystify, but you can certainly target the enchantment. The Cloak only gives the equipped creature shroud, not anything else.

Auras only target while they're spells on the stack. Once they become attached to something, they do not target anything. Giving a creature shroud after the Aura is already on won't remove it.
So if the original owner of the wolf destroyed the aura that took control of it. Would that person get the whispersilk cloak as well as their creature back?
Gaining control of a creature doesn't mean you gain control of equipments attached to that creature. Through all this, the Whispersilk Cloak is still under the control of its original controller (presumably its owner.)

Changing control of the wolf doesn't cause the Cloak to become unattached, either, mind you.
When you ask a rules question, please autocard. Type [c]Doom Blade[/c] to get Doom Blade.
What Color Am I?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Makes sense. Thanks.
Auras only target while they're spells on the stack. Once they become attached to something, they do not target anything.

Incidentally, does that mean that if an aura is cheated into play with, say, Warp World, it could attach directly onto something with shroud?
You can't spell manslaughter without laughter!
Yes.

If an Aura is simply put into play, then the player who puts it into play chooses what it will be attached to; It does not Target that Object.
Yes. If an Aura is simply put into play, then the player who puts it into play chooses what it will be attached to; It does not Target that Object.

So if I have a creature equipped with shroud, I can still put enchantments and artifact equipment on it without having to first remove or nullify the shroud?

If so, can other players put enchantments on my shrouded creature? 

I've been hearing many different takes on this, and I even searched the current rulebook, but as of yet I've not found the official ruling on it.

Typically, shroud does not permit anything from being attached to a creature with it because Aura spells target and because all equip abilities target. However, putting an aura into play without casting it allows you to attach it without targeting.

I have found the secret of posting sigs! Kablooie's symbol Palette: 2U 
I'm sorry, I'm still confused.  There is too much technical language being used for me... I'm a bit of a noob.

Scenario: 

I have a creature (Wall of Vapor) equipped with Entangler, Reach, and Regeneration, then I add Whispersilk Cloak.  What happens?

I'm sorry, I'm still confused.  There is too much technical language being used for me... I'm a bit of a noob.

Scenario: 

I have a creature (Wall of Vapor) equipped with Entangler, Reach, and Regeneration, then I add Whispersilk Cloak.  What happens?

Nothing happens to the stuff already attached to a creature when you give it shroud. Auras and equipment do not constantly target what they're attached to. An aura spell targets when you cast it normally, but once it's in play and attached, it doesn't target anymore. The Equip ability of an equipment targets, but once it's attached, the equipment does not target anymore.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

Scenario: 

Nothing.  The enchantments stay on the Wall.

But new enchantments can't be added to the wall unless I first equip the Whispersilk Cloak to a different creature, correct?
But new enchantments can't be added to the wall unless I first equip the Whispersilk Cloak to a different creature, correct?

If the creature currently has Shroud, no new Aura spells can be cast targeting it. However, note that something like Retether that brings Auras on the battlefield without them being cast as spells could allow you to attach new ones to a creature with Shroud.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
Thanks for clearing that up.  This was my original understanding of the subject, but recent discussion with some friends cast it into doubt.
Sign In to post comments