Lightning Bolt vs Planeswalker

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
When does the redirection take place?
Do I cast Lightning Bolt targeting the player, then immediately redirect it to their planeswalker before they respond, or does the redirection happen on resolution?
When does the redirection take place?
Do I cast Lightning Bolt targeting the player, then immediately redirect it to their planeswalker before they respond, or does the redirection happen on resolution?

The latter. The redirection is applied during the resolution of the spell.
DCI L2 Judge "When nothing remains, everything is equally possible." - One With Nothing
I was under the impression the planeswalker couldn't be targeted with spells such as lightning bolt, incinerate, etc because it targets a creature or player, and the planeswalker is neither.
You're not targetting the Planeswalker. You're targetting the player that controls the planeswalker and choosing to redirect the damage to the planeswalker.
You're not targetting the Planeswalker. You're targetting the player that controls the planeswalker and choosing to redirect the damage to the planeswalker.

So any spell or ability that would deal damage to a player, can be redirected to a planeswalker?
So any spell or ability that would deal damage to a player, can be redirected to a planeswalker?

The opponent decides if non-combat damage from a source that opponent controls would be directed to the planeswalker.
Planeswalker FAQ
So - note that if you have true believer they will not be able to do any direct damage to the planeswalker.
So - note that if you have true believer they will not be able to do any direct damage to the planeswalker.

If you play Earthquake and your opponent has a planeswalker, you may redirect that non-combat damage to your opponent's planeswalker since Earthquake does not target nor does planeswalker damage redirection target. If you have True Believer in play, then Lightning Bolt can't target you in the first place.
The opponent decides if non-combat damage from a source that opponent controls would be directed to the planeswalker.
Planeswalker FAQ

So then you wouldn't be able to Lightning bolt the planeswalker, unless the opponent decides to redirect it? You're saying you can lightning bolt the player, and hope that they will redirect it.
So then you wouldn't be able to Lightning bolt the planeswalker, unless the opponent decides to redirect it? You're saying you can lightning bolt the player, and hope that they will redirect it.

The exact opposite in fact. In the sentence you quoted, the opponent is the same entity in both places.

A player can't redirect damage onto a Planeswalker they control.
ΦΦΦΦΦ
The exact opposite in fact. In the sentence you quoted, the opponent is the same entity in both places.

A player can't redirect damage onto a Planeswalker they control.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I was mistaking it for the planeswalker's controller deciding where it goes. I think I smoked too much pot this morning
...oops
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
Hi there, just want to ask this.

my friend here plays a Jace Beleren, when he enters the battlefield, i can respond with a lighting bolt targeting him and dealing damage to Jace. thus killing him, or he can firs activate an ability fron his planeswalker and then i can respond.

solve this for me. please.
Hi there, just want to ask this.

my friend here plays a Jace Beleren, when he enters the battlefield, i can respond with a lighting bolt targeting him and dealing damage to Jace. thus killing him, or he can firs activate an ability fron his planeswalker and then i can respond.

solve this for me. please.

Whoever's turn it is gets priority first.  Since you can't normally cast planeswalkers on any turn except your own, then it is probably your friend's turn and he can activate Jace's ability before you can bolt it.

Please don't bump old threads.  Start a new thread for your questions.

First off, please do not bump up two year old threads to ask your question. Just start a new thread.

As for the actual qustion, no you cannot. After Jace resolves, the active player (in this case, your opponent) gets priority first. So they will be able to activate one of Jace's abilities before you get priority to cast the Bolt.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.