---**M10 Rules Changes Summary**---

118 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a thread about the functional rules changes; simple terminology changes won't be found here.

To find all the changes in more detail, including the terminology changes, go here and here.

This is for the people who keep having questions about the new rules. It started as a desire to summarize the combat rules, but after talking with a couple of people, a thread summarizing all the rules changes was decided to be the better idea. So, here they are:

Mulligans are simultaneous.

[indent]Although it's been done this way for a while, at least at lower-level events such as FNM, 'simultaneous mulligans' were actually not the way it was supposed to be done. First one player would take all his mulligans, then another would, so on and so forth. Now, the 'simultaneous mulligan' will be the official way to do it. Starting with the player who was chosen to go first, each player declares if he or she is going to mulligan. Then all players who chose to do so, do so. Any player who chooses not to do so cannot later choose to do so; any of the players who mulligan follow the same process, until no one mulligans. The game then begins.[/indent]

Mana Burn is gone.

[indent]Simple enough. Mana burn is no longer an issue. If you don't know what it is, don't worry; if you do, it doesn't apply any more as of July 11.[/indent]

Mana Pools empty at new times.

[indent]Now, instead of mana pools emptying at just the end of phases, they also empty at the end of each step. This won't have much impact on the game, but Mistblind Clique players and their opponents will be affected to a degree.[/indent]

Mana Floating requires telling the other players what you're floating.

[indent]Though a lot of people do it already out of courtesy, it's becoming the official policy: When you float mana, you must declare what's left when you pass priority or make a mana payment. That way your opponent can keep track of what you're doing more easily without getting lost if you move through the motions quickly.[/indent]

Lifelink changes in functionality.

[INDENT]Lifelink will no longer be cumulative, but it will now gain life automatically instead of as a triggered ability sometime after the damage is dealt. This means that being attacked by two 4/4s while at 4 life and you control a Brion Stoutarm with a Behemoth Sledge on it will result in you surviving the attack, unlike before, but only gaining 6 life, unlike before.

Older cards that were errata'd to have Lifelink will be reverting to their original wording; this means that they will continue to work as Lifelink works now: Multiples will result in more life being gained, but they won't save you from death if lethal damage gets through to you.

Lifelink still requires damage be dealt to result in any gain of life.[/INDENT]

Deathtouch changes in functionality.

[INDENT]Deathtouch stops being a triggered ability and becomes a static ability that results in death via a new statebased effect. To keep its functionality, creatures with deathtouch are exempt from the 'assign damage in order' rule mentioned later in this post. Deathtouch damage is not 'lethal damage' as far as the game is concerned, so it does not combo with trample to make a 3/3 Deathtoucher able to trample over a 5/5 blocker and assign 2 damage to the defending player. All 3 damage will still be assigned to the 5/5, barring other damage being on the 5/5 creature.

Older cards (what few there were) that were errata'd to have Deathtouch will revert to their original wording. This means that they won't have the special ability to assign damage as they see fit, but if a creature with the old trigger lethally damages a creature, that creature will have to regenerate twice, once for SBE destruction and once for the trigger.

Deathtouch still requires damage be dealt to kill the creature.[/INDENT]

Token ownership is changing.

[indent]Now, instead of being owned by the controller of the effect that put them onto the battlefield, the owner of a token is the player under whose control the token entered the battlefield.[/indent]

Functionality of the Wishes changes.

[indent]This is one change that goes hand-in-hand with a terminology change. The 'removed from the game' zone is becoming the 'Exiled' zone, and is no longer considered 'outside the game.' As such, the Wishes (Burning Wish and its kind) can no longer retrieve a card from the newly-named 'Exiled' zone.[/indent]

The Layers are changing.

[indent]The old layer 5 is being broken into two layers: Layer 5 now catches color-changing effects, and the new Layer 6 catches ability-granting/removing effects. This changes the interaction of cards like Painter's Servant and cards that remove abilities. Also, previously, a non-green creature with Favor of the Overbeing would gain Vigilance after being hit by Snakeform because of dependency; with the new rules, that won't be the case.

The old Layer 6 is becoming Layer 7, and is also changing. Now, any effect which modified P/T without setting it applies in 6c; this is a change, as effects such as Giant Growth used to be applied in 6b. This changes the interaction between cards that set p/t to a specific value and cards that give temporary pumps: Under the old system, a creature who had been Giant Growth'd and then hit by Sorceress Queen would have been an 0/2; in the new system, they will be a 3/5 regardless of the order in which the effects resolved.[/indent]

Banding gets some changes.

[indent]If a creature with a certain quality has "bands with other [quality]," that creature may now form a band with any number of attacking creatures that have that quality, whether or not they have the "bands with other [quality]" ability or not. This is a change from the previous rules.

With Banding, lining up creatures is irrelevant; the attacking player can assign the damage of the creature(s) blocking the band in any way that player wishes to do so. Like Deathtouch, this is an exception to the rule. The same is true in reverse; if an attacking creature (or creatures) is being blocked by a creature with banding, or by a creature with "bands with [quality]" and another creature of that quality, the defending player assigns the damage of the attacking creature(s), again ignoring the line in which the blocking creatures were placed.[/indent]

Phasing gets some changes.

[indent]Phasing no longer causes a change of zones. Instead, "phased in/phased out" joins the category of "status of the card," along with "flipped/unflipped, tapped/untapped, face-up/face-down." This does away with the now-unnecessary rule of "phasing in or out doesn't trigger leaves-play/enters-play abilities," but adds the rule that nothing in the game--not even the rules--can affect a permanent with the status "phased out" unless the rule or effect being used specifically mentions "phased out permanent" in describing its effect.

If a token attains the status "phased out," it will cease to exist as a state-based action. This was added as a necessity since attaining the status no longer actually removed it from the battlefield.[/indent]

Fear is being "replaced."

[indent]Though it's not actually being removed in favor of the new keyword, Fear is becoming a thing of the past. A new keyword has been introduced: Intimidate. It does the same thing as Fear, for the most part; the key difference is that instead of listing a specific color that can block the creature, it simply says "creatures that share a color or artifact creatures." Old cards with Fear will retain their Fear keyword (partly due to the fact that on some cards, changing the word would be a functional change).[/indent]

Combat Changes

[INDENT]Declaring Blockers now includes lining creatures up.

[INDENT]Another simple one, and it's exactly how it sounds. Once the defending player has declared blockers, the attacking player will take any creatures that are grouping up to block a single attacking creature and line them up in an order to receive damage. Before the second creature can be damaged at all, the first must be assigned lethal damage. This works like trample in that it takes into consideration other damage being assigned and other damage already on the creature.

This is also true if one creature can block multiple creatures, such as Thoughtweft Trio. When one creature blocks multiples, the defending player will line up the attacking creatures in order, in the same way described above for the attacker lining up blockers. The damage works the same way.[/INDENT]

Combat Damage doesn't use the stack.

[INDENT]The first combat change is a result of this change. Instead of combat damage being assigned and then waiting around a while as an object on the stack before it's dealt, damage will be assigned and then immediately dealt with the players receiving no chance to do anything between the two actions. After damage is dealt, players will still receive priority in the 'combat damage' step.

Note: Creatures in combat having first strike or double strike will still result in an extra combat damage step being inserted before the regular one.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

If anyone can think of any changes I missed, just put up a post about them and I'll add them to this post (that way it's easy to find them all at once instead of scouring the thread).

EDIT 1: Forgot simultaneous mulligans. Added.

EDIT 2: Fixed a small error in the mulligans change; added the change to token ownership. Once details are given on phasing and banding, I will add those changes.

EDIT 3: Fixed dumb errors in the Mana Pools section.

EDIT 4: Added link to the rules changes article; added a bit to the 'declare blockers' change about one creature blocking multiple.

EDIT 5: Fixed some typos.

EDIT 6: Added a note in Lifelink and Deathtouch about the older cards that had received errata.

EDIT 7: Added entry for changing layers.

EDIT 8: Added entries for Banding and Phasing! :D

EDIT 9: Added entry for Intimidate.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

Mulligans are simultaneous.

[indent]Although it's been done this way for a while, at least at lower-level events such as FNM, 'simultaneous mulligans' were actually not the way it was supposed to be done. First one player would take all his mulligans, then another would, so on and so forth. Now, the 'simultaneous mulligan' will be the official way to do it. Starting with the player who chose to go first, each player declares if he or she is going to mulligan. Then all players who chose to do so, do so. Any player who chooses not to do so cannot later choose to do so; any of the players who mulligan follow the same process, until no one mulligans. The game then begins.[/indent]

Isn't it still the player who is actually playing first, not (necessarily) the one who chose? Contrary to some people's perception, not everyone chooses to play first. (Nor should they, in fact, according to WotC, the player who draws first wins more often, by about a 53-47 ratio.) I choose to draw first rather than play first in Sealed all the time.

If anyone can think of any changes I missed, just put up a post about them and I'll add them to this post (that way it's easy to find them all at once instead of scouring the thread).

Well, there is some new terminology (Battlefield, Exile), some returning bits of old terminology (Cast, Activate), a rather minor and technical change concerning token ownership, and changes to Banding and Phasing that (to the best of my knowledge) have yet to be specified; probably the usual series of minor clarifications as well.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Isn't it still the player who is actually playing first, not (necessarily) the one who chose? Contrary to some people's perception, not everyone chooses to play first. (Nor should they, in fact, according to WotC, the player who draws first wins more often, by about a 53-47 ratio.) I choose to draw first rather than play first in Sealed all the time.

Well, there is some new terminology (Battlefield, Exile), some returning bits of old terminology (Cast, Activate), a rather minor and technical change concerning token ownership, and changes to Banding and Phasing that (to the best of my knowledge) have yet to be specified; probably the usual series of minor clarifications as well.

Like I said at the top of my post, term. changes are being omitted because those can be explained in about half a second. thanks for the catch on mulligans; you're right, it's the one chosen to go first, not the one who chose. Bit of miswording. Will fix.

Why not just point to the article that describes the changes?
Why not just point to the article that describes the changes?

Because I'm working under the assumption that the article is the reason for the confusion in the first place. As I said, this started just as a post for the combat rules changes, but after talking with a couple of other people, I decided summarizing them all would make it more convenient.

Just trying to be helpful. *shrug*

Zamm: Can we get this stickyed?

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Zamm: Can we get this stickyed?

Not sure who "Zamm" is, but Zammm might well be able to get that done. :D And a bit more seriously, I do agree that it would be a good idea, at least temporarily.
I think a link to the article might still be useful. At the very least, it will give easy access to the terminology changes.
Mana Pools empty at new times.

[indent]Now, instead of mana burn pools emptying at just the end of phases, it they also empties empty at the end of each step. This won't have much impact on the game, but Mistblind Clique players and their opponents will be affected to a degree.[/indent]

I think a link to the article might still be useful. At the very least, it will give easy access to the terminology changes.

Yecch, thanks for those catches. Wrote that up last night, wasn't feeling too hot. Will fix.

Also, while I'm fixing, can someone give me the link to put in the first post?

Also, while I'm fixing, can someone give me the link to put in the first post?

Do you mean a link to the original announcement? If so, here is the URL:
[indent][noparse]http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/42a[/noparse][/indent]
[INDENT]Declaring Blockers now includes lining them up.

[INDENT]Another simple one, and it's exactly how it sounds. Once the defending player has declared blockers, the attacking player will take any creatures that are grouping up to block a single attacking creature and line them up in an order to receive damage. Before the second creature can be damaged at all, the first must be assigned lethal damage. This works like trample in that it takes into consideration other damage being assigned and other damage already on the creature.[/INDENT]

Dunno whether this is important enough to include in your summary or not.. but if a blocker has the ability to block multiple attackers, then the defending player lines up those attackers in the same way that the attacking player lines up blockers.
Dunno whether this is important enough to include in your summary or not.. but if a blocker has the ability to block multiple attackers, then the defending player lines up those attackers in the same way that the attacking player lines up blockers.

Mmm, right, I'll include a mention about that.

One "terminology" change that you might want to include would be RFG->Exile since it is also a functional change.

No longer can the Wishes fetch cards from that zone since the Exile zone IS within the game whereas the old RFG zone was considered outside of it for the Wishes.
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
One "terminology" change that you might want to include would be RFG->Exile since it is also a functional change.

No longer can the Wishes fetch cards from that zone since the Exile zone IS within the game whereas the old RFG zone was considered outside of it for the Wishes.

Mmm, true that. I'd forgotten. Will add.

Do you mean a link to the original announcement? If so, here is the URL:
[indent][noparse]http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/42a[/noparse][/indent]

Hyperlink to the rules page.
Note: Creatures in combat having first strike or double strike will still result in an extra combat damage step being inserted before the regular one.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

I'm just trying to interpret this. Does that mean that you can cast spells between the first strike and the regular damage step? Or that there just regular damage gets dealt after an SBE check goes though?

I ask because in Duels of the Planeswalkers, you can't cast anything in between.
You'll be able to play spells during the first strike combat damage step, after the first strike damage has been dealt.
Not a big deal but there is a typo on the 3rd line of the 2nd paragraph under Combat Changes You have "as described above for the attacke lining up blockers." Attacke should be attack I believe also above that line you have "When one creature block multiples," block should be blocks.
Not a big deal but there is a typo on the 3rd line of the 2nd paragraph under Combat Changes You have "as described above for the attacke lining up blockers." Attacke should be attack I believe also above that line you have "When one creature block multiples," block should be blocks.

Whoops, thanks. Will fix (though 'attacke' should be 'attacker,' not 'attack').

I ask because in Duels of the Planeswalkers, you can't cast anything in between.

Don't use DotP as a reference for any rule; if you have a question, come ask.

That's why I did. DoP doesn't use the proper rules for deathtouch either, so I thought quoting you and asking directly was the best option. And it was. Hooray for quick answers!
How about noting that cards that currently have errata which make them have Deathtouch or Lifelink are going to have this errata removed (leaving the original wording), which means that the changes wont apply to them?
(I have seen confusion over this already)

Cheers

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
How about noting that cards that currently have errata which make them have Deathtouch or Lifelink are going to have this errata removed (leaving the original wording), which means that the changes wont apply to them?
(I have seen confusion over this already)

Cheers

~ Tim

Good idea, thanks.

You'll be able to play spells during the first strike combat damage step, after the first strike damage has been dealt.

Is there a reference for this? I came here looking for clarification after reading this:

Prerelease Primer

It mentions a couple times that the Declare Blockers Step is the last chance to play any tricks.

5. Combat!

. . .

C. Declare Blockers – Combat Tricks

This isn't exactly a step as such, but during the declare blockers step after blockers have been declared is the last time to use any effects to that are going to affect combat, making it a good time for effects. If both players pass at this point then damage will just resolve, and that will be the end of that.

. . .

D. Combat Damage

All creatures still in combat will deal combat damage at this point. First strike will go first, potentially killing off some creatures, then everyone else gets their hits in. The opportunity to do clever things was covered in part C, and with the cleverness out of the way, creatures get to bash on one another.

. . .

All the damage is dealt at once (barring first strike or double strike).

[Emphasis added]
Is there a reference for this?

Yes. The only thing changing in the combat damage step(s) is that the combat damage object itself won't use the stack anymore. NOTHING ELSE in the combat damage step(s) is changing. That means in particular that players will still receive priority during the combat damage step(s), once damage has been dealt.
The PDF that is linked in the article you read also implies this behavior:
[INDENT]If any creatures have first strike or double strike, there are two combat damage steps as normal.[/INDENT]
DCI L2 Judge "When nothing remains, everything is equally possible." - One With Nothing
Is there a reference for this? I came here looking for clarification after reading this:

Prerelease Primer

It mentions a couple times that the Declare Blockers Step is the last chance to play any tricks.

If no creatures with first or double strike are involved in combat, there is no first strike combat damage step. In such cases, the Declare Blockers step would indeed be the last opportunity to play spells and abilities before regular combat damage is dealt.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

The PDF explicitly says First Strike is still its own step (in case there was any doubt; really, there was never any reason to think otherwise). Players get priority in every phase and step, with only a couple of exceptions; First Strike damage dealing has never been one of these exceptions, and there is no reason to think it will become one now.

As for the "last chance for tricks" wording, that will normally be true, and even when there are First Strike creatures involved, there is still a sense in which it is true. The Declare Blockers step is indeed the last chance to play anything before any creatures have dealt their combat damage. If First Strike damage has been dealt, then it is no longer before damage is dealt, is it?
I wish they had left mana burn in, it feels "dummed down" now that you can just tap everything whenever (it also neutered some decks)
I wish they had left mana burn in, it feels "dummed down" now that you can just tap everything whenever (it also neutered some decks)

This thread is for describing the changes. Griping about the changes belongs elsewhere.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel

While opinions are fine, please keep them the appropriate thread in the appropriate forum (should be one in Magic General); this is a thread solely to summarize the rules, not discuss the opinions of them.

There is a new article today which has another summary of the M10 rules. Perhaps there are some tidbits we could pull from there and stick in here (though i don't have any specific suggestions at this time).
Currently, if I attack with a 2/2 creature and giant growth it, my opponent can respond with a shock to kill my creature using the LIFO rules.

Does that change with M10? Will both the spells resolve and I end up with a 5/5 creature who has taken 2 damage?
That does not change. The Shock resolves first, dealing 2 damage to the 2/2, killing it. Then the Growth will be countered since its only target is now illegal.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

That does not change. The Shock resolves first, dealing 2 damage to the 2/2, killing it. Then the Growth will be countered since its only target is now illegal.

/shrug

The LIFO rule never really made sense to me.
Currently, if I attack with a 2/2 creature and giant growth it, my opponent can respond with a shock to kill my creature using the LIFO rules.

Does that change with M10? Will both the spells resolve and I end up with a 5/5 creature who has taken 2 damage?

If you didn't see it in my summary, it probably isn't changing. I haven't listed Banding and Phasing there yet because it's unknown how they're changing; and I'm sure there are a couple of other tweaks, but a change that big would have been included in the article from weeks ago and thus would have been in my summary.

(Just pointing something out for anyone who's thinking to ask if something big is changing.)

/shrug

The LIFO rule never really made sense to me.

EDIT - Never mind. I'll ask in PM. This isn't hte thread for that.

Bumping so people make sure to read the entires for Banding and Phasing that I've just added. :D And I gotta say, I like the changes. :D

You can't bump stickied posts!
All Generalizations are Bad
You can't bump stickied posts!

Not in the typical sense, no, but I can make sure that people see a new post in it (it doesn't show a change when only an edit is made). :D

The rules on Banding make sense and keeps it pretty close to its original functionality. I'm happy about that.

Am I the only person who still plays with Banding?
:D
The rules on Banding make sense and keeps it pretty close to its originally functionality. I'm happy about that.

Am I the only person who still plays with Banding?
:D

I never played with Banding because I didn't come around till Planar Chaos, but I never thought that 'bands with other [quality]' should have worked the way it was working; now that it actually 'bands with other [quality],' it makes sense. And honestly? I wouldn't mind seeing a return of banding now that it's not so headache-inducing.

Before anyone says it is, it's not. It's not simple, but it's far from headache-inducing.