Deathtouch and regeneration

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can a creature regenerate if it is dealt damage by a creature with deathtouch? We thought the creature was merely destroyed and that it could regenerate and everything in the comprehensive rules points to this. However, in the new magic the gathering game on Xbox Live a creature dealt damage by a deathtouch creature is buried and may not regenerate.
Can a creature regenerate if it is dealt damage by a creature with deathtouch? We thought the creature was merely destroyed and that it could regenerate and everything in the comprehensive rules points to this. However, in the new magic the gathering game on Xbox Live a creature dealt damage by a deathtouch creature is buried and may not regenerate.

Deathtouch is a destroy effect and may be regenerated from. Keep in mind that currently(until M10 rules take effect) that if a creature is also dealt lethal damage it will need two regeneration shields to survive as there are two destroy effects to replace.

I don't know how the new Xbox game handles the rules exactly(and you should take anything it does with a grain of salt) but my guess is that the creature with deathtouch also dealt lethal damage to your creature.
Level 3 Magic Judge "To face death, that's nothing much. But to feel really stupid when you die, well, that would be insufferable." -Nafai, The Ships of Earth

Deathtouch is treated as any other sort of destruction and can be regenerated.
Currently if creature is dealt lethal damage with deathtouch you need to regenerate the creature twice to keep it alive. Once for the lethal and once for the deathtouch trigger.

After M10 comes out Deathtouch will no longer be a triggered ability so you only need to regenerate it once.

How this works on Duels of the planeswalkers depends on what rules edition they are using.

I didn't want to start a new thread and this one seemed appropriate. Under the new rules as of M10, what would the effect be of someone blocking a single creature with regen using 2 creatures with deathtouch? Would I have to regen per creature with deathtouch (ie 2 times for 2)?

I didn't want to start a new thread and this one seemed appropriate. Under the new rules as of M10, what would the effect be of someone blocking a single creature with regen using 2 creatures with deathtouch? Would I have to regen per creature with deathtouch (ie 2 times for 2)?

You would only need to regenerate it once.

704.6. If multiple state-based actions would have the same result at the same time, a single replacement effect will replace all of them.
Example: You control Lich's Mirror, which says "If you would lose the game, instead shuffle your hand, your graveyard, and all permanents you own into your library, then draw seven cards and your life total becomes 20." There's one card in your library and your life total is 1. A spell causes you to draw two cards and lose 2 life. The next time state-based actions are checked, you'd lose the game due to rule 704.5a and rule 704.5b. Instead, Lich's Mirror replaces that game loss and you keep playing.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments