Beginning of your upkeep...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a Liege of the Pit in play. I have, also, a Paladin of Prahv, a Genju of the Falls, and a Nuisance Engine.

Am I allowed to play activated abilities before I sacrifice to Liege of the Pit, which states to sacrifice a creature "at the beginning of your upkeep." Does this mean I'm not allowed to do anything beforehand? Can I make a Pest with Nuisance Engine or transform my Island into a creature using Genju?

Also, what if I have multiple cards that have "at the beginning of your upkeep" clauses? Do I get to choose the order in which they are executed (no pun intended)?

Thanks.
Rules Advisor - 10/24/2010
You may respond to the triggered ability by creating a creature to sacrifice.

If you have multiple triggers going off at the same time you(as the affected player) choose the order in which they will be placed on the stack.
Level 3 Magic Judge "To face death, that's nothing much. But to feel really stupid when you die, well, that would be insufferable." -Nafai, The Ships of Earth
Thanks - that's what I suspected. The thing that threw me off:

Why does Liege's text read, then, "At the beginning of your upkeep..." vs. something like, "During your upkeep..." since the only things you can do during your upkeep are cast instants, use activated abilities, and the like - stuff you could do to respond to the Liege's sacrifice?
Rules Advisor - 10/24/2010
Am I allowed to play activated abilities before I sacrifice to Liege of the Pit, which states to sacrifice a creature "at the beginning of your upkeep."

Yes.

At the beginning of your upkeep, liege of the pit's ability triggers and is put on the stack. As with all non-mana triggered abilities, this can be responded to.
Also, what if I have multiple cards that have "at the beginning of your upkeep" clauses? Do I get to choose the order in which they are executed (no pun intended)?

Yes.

When multiple abilities need to be put on the stack at the same time, they are put on the stack in "APNAP Order". That means that the Active Player (the person who's turn it is) puts his triggered abilities on the stack in any order, and then the Non-Active Player puts his on the stack in any order.

You control all the abilities, so you choose their order.
Thanks - that's what I suspected. The thing that threw me off:

Why does Liege's text read, then, "At the beginning of your upkeep..." vs. something like, "During your upkeep..." since the only things you can do during your upkeep are cast instants, use activated abilities, and the like - stuff you could do to respond to the Liege's sacrifice?

"At beginning of upkeep" is the triggering condition.

Nitpick: You are responding to the trigger not the act of sacrificing. If you are already sacrificing something it is too late to respond as the ability is already resolving.
Level 3 Magic Judge "To face death, that's nothing much. But to feel really stupid when you die, well, that would be insufferable." -Nafai, The Ships of Earth
I had a similar question, and I hope this thread is still active.  If I have Barren Glory on the field and I play Dimensional Breach.  After all permanents are exiled, I choose to bring back Barren Glory before any of the other cards, do I still win? or would I have to wait a round (In which case I wouldn't win because I drew a card).  Both cards state at the beginning of your upkeep, but I bring Barren Glory back in at the beginning of the upkeep, does it's ability still trigger?  Thanks in advance!

~SnyprMastA
I had a similar question, and I hope this thread is still active.  If I have Barren Glory on the field and I play Dimensional Breach.  After all permanents are exiled, I choose to bring back Barren Glory before any of the other cards, do I still win? or would I have to wait a round (In which case I wouldn't win because I drew a card).  Both cards state at the beginning of your upkeep, but I bring Barren Glory back in at the beginning of the upkeep, does it's ability still trigger?  Thanks in advance!

~SnyprMastA

If you bring back Barren Glory, the time at which "at the beginning of your upkeep" triggers trigger has already passed.  The game doesn't "back up" to it again.  You have to wait another of your turns.

At the beginning of your upkeep various things may trigger and are put on the stack.  After this point no other "at the beginning of your upkeep" triggers will trigger.  This is because the beginning of your upkeep has already passed.

About Liege of the Pit and others like it:
«At the beginning of your upkeep» DOES NOT MEAN that you must sacrifice as soon as your upkeep begins.
What it means is: «When your upkeep begins, put this ability on the Stack»
This leaves you with ample time to cast Instants and/or activate abilities, like Nuisance Engine's, which will give you some worthless token to sacrifice when the sacrifice ability finally resolves.

Btw: many older cards using «During your upkeep...» have been reworded; make sure you check The Gatherer for Official Text!