how does counter-spell work?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
If i use it when someone lays down a creature is that creature now destroyed?
Does an instant get resolved BEFORE sorcery's, creature plays, enchant creatures, all the other NON-instants?
So after my opponent untaps?

Any time anyone plays any spell, that spell goes on the Stack. Each player then gets a chance to respond. If you wish to play Cancel or a similar spell, you play it now, and it will cause the target spell to be put into its owner's graveyard. If you do not respond, then the spell resolves, and it is to late to counter the spell.
Does an instant get resolved BEFORE sorcery's, creature plays, enchant creatures, all the other NON-instants?

No. Nothing is "faster" than anything else. The top object on the stack resolves first, and then the next object, and so on until the stack is empty, with each player getting a chance to respond before the next one resolves.
Any time anyone plays any spell, that spell goes on the Stack. Each player then gets a chance to respond. If you wish to play Cancel or a similar spell, you play it now, and it will cause the target spell to be put into its owner's graveyard. If you do not respond, then the spell resolves, and it is to late to counter the spell.

No. Nothing is "faster" than anything else. The top object on the stack resolves first, and then the next object, and so on until the stack is empty, with each player getting a chance to respond before the next one resolves.

so basically if i counter-spell a creature who is being put into play. that creature is destroyed?
or do i need a card like Remove Soul to counter-spell/destroy a creature?

and also... 3 more question about 3 different cards.

first card....Krark-Clan Ironworks
Do i sacrifice A artifact to add 2 colorless mana to my mana pool for that turn only or for ever?

second card....Grinding Station
This card stays tapped, through everyone's turn until AN artifact from any player is played, and all the turns that there is not an artifact played.... I have to choose what artifact to destroy on the board? even if my own opponent doesn't have any, do I have to start sacrificing my own artifacts?

third card....Lightning Rift Can any player use this enchantment? and also...Can you pay any amount of lands to do any amount of damage x 2 to a target creature or player?
The only kinds of spells/abilities which cannot be countered are spells which have split second like Trickbind, if it says it cannot be countered like Vexing Shusher, or if it is a mana ability like Llanowar Elves because they do not go on the stack.
so basically if i counter-spell a creature who is being put into play. that creature is destroyed?

It is not "destroyed", it is "countered". To destroy something means to move it from the In Play zone to the Graveyard. It is moving from the stack to the graveyard.
or do i need a card like Remove Soul to counter-spell/destroy a creature?

Remove soul can counter a creature spell. It cannot destroy a creature in play.
first card....Krark-Clan Ironworks
Do i sacrifice A artifact to add 2 colorless mana to my mana pool for that turn only or for ever?

Krark-Clan Ironworks has an activated ability. Any time you could play an instant (or any time a mana payment is required), you can play that ability. You sacrifice an artifact as the cost, and you get two mana as a result. If you don't spend the mana by the end of the phase, that mana empties from your mana pool, and you lose one life for each mana lost this way (this is called mana burn, and rarely happens, since you usually don't produce more mana than you need).
second card....Grinding Station
This card stays tapped, through everyone's turn until AN artifact from any player is played, and all the turns that there is not an artifact played.... I have to choose what artifact to destroy on the board? even if my own opponent doesn't have any, do I have to start sacrificing my own artifacts?

It also untaps in the untap step, just like everything else. Grinding station happens to have an additional way to untap, but that doesn't stop it from untapping the normal way.
third card....Lightning Rift Can any player use this enchantment?

No, only its controller.
and also...Can you pay any amount of lands to do any amount of damage x 2 to a target creature or player?

No. When you cycle a card, Lightning Rift's ability triggers. When the ability resolves, you can pay one mana (not land) to deal 2 damage. You cannot pay more than 1 mana.
The only kinds of spells/abilities which cannot be countered are spells which have split second like Trickbind

Split second does not mean a spell cannot be countered. It makes it very hard, but it is not impossible.
Responding to your new post which just appeared.
If you counter a creature, that creature NEVER came into play so any abilities that say "When blah comes into play..." will never trigger. Also, creatures that are indestructible such as Darksteel Colossus will be put into the graveyard because the effect is "counter" not destroy. Basically it prevents the spell from ever having effect a nd puts it into the graveyard.
-1st Q: Mana is cleared out of mana pools at the end of EACH phase (beginning phase, main phase 1, combat phase, and main phase 2.) So you only have that mana available during that 1 phase. If you do not use it, you will take mana burn.
-2nd Q: You can ONLY sacrifice your own artifacts, not artifacts your opponents control. Sacrifice is a term that you can only use with permanents of the specified type that you control. And Grinding Station will untap on your untap step during the beginning phase.
-3rd Q: No. If you look at the oracle text, it says "Whenever a player cycles a card, YOU may pay ." Basically, only you can use this ability but you can use it no matter which player cycles a card.
Split second does not mean a spell cannot be countered. It makes it very hard, but it is not impossible.

Doesn't the morph ability have to go on the stack though?
And yes technically they still can :P but not by an instant/sorcery. :P

Turning a face-down Creature face-up? That's a Special Action that NOT use the Stack and can NOT be responded to.

The Triggered ability that triggers when the Creature is turned face-up? Yes. That does use the Stack.

A Spell with Split Second being on the Stack ONLY stops players from playing Spells and Activated nonmana abilities.
It does NOT affect Special Actions or Triggered abilities.

Well first, whether or not it uses the stack is irrelevant to whether split second prevents it. Split seconds prevents you from playing spells and from playing non-mana activated abilities, and that's it. It doesn't somehow "shut down" the stack.

But no, turning a face down creature face up does not use the stack. It is a special action.
408.1i Special actions don't use the stack. The special actions are playing a land (see rule 408.2d), turning a face-down creature face up (see rule 408.2h), stopping delayed triggered abilities from triggering or ending continuous effects (see rule 408.2i), ignoring continuous effects (see rule 408.2j), and removing a card with suspend in your hand from the game (see rule 408.2k).

Does this mean that counter-spell can remove a creature from the play zone 3 turns after it was played?

"Remove soul can counter a creature spell. It cannot destroy a creature in play." When you said this, i'm kinda inferring that counter-spell can remove a creature from play. OR no because the stack in which that creature was played is now over with.

so basically... Grinding Station Is not a very useful card. Unless I have tons of completely pointless artifacts laying around or unless my opponent has 3 cards left in his library and I'm trying to get him to lose that way.

and on Lightning Rift I can basically play that, every time a player picks up a card. very nice.
I learned something today :D Not that I even play with creatures with morph >.> but good to know for future reference.
Does this mean that counter-spell can remove a creature from the play zone 3 turns after it was played?

No, counterspells only work while the spell is still on the stack. Only cards that say destroy like Terror can remove creatures already in play

and on Lightning Rift I can basically play that, every time a player picks up a card. very nice.

Nope, cycle, not draw. Cycling is an ability that cards have in your hand, like Unburden
I learned something today :D Not that I even play with creatures with morph >.> but good to know for future reference.

good thing i made the post then! :-)

No.

It is only useful in the brief period of time between when a spell is played and when it resolves. Once the creature resolves and comes into play, it is no longer on the stack and can no longer be countered.

It's ability triggers every time a player cycles a card. Cycling is an activated ability found on some cards (eg, Akroma's Vengeance or Angelsong) that you play while the card is in your hand. "Cycling [cost]" means "[cost], discard this card: draw a card". If a player plays a cycling ability, then Lightning Rift will trigger. It will not trigger if a card is drawn for some other reason.
ahh okay, cycling, i even have cards with that ability, just never paid it attention :-x doh!

One last question about counter-spell...
If someone has a creature out and they go to "enchant creature" the creature, they pay their mana cost... equip it, i then play counter-spell and that enchant creature is now removed and put into the graveyard. Do they still have to keep their mana tapped for the remainder of the turn and until their un-tap step?
If someone has a creature out and they go to "enchant creature" the creature, they pay their mana cost... equip it, i then play counter-spell and that enchant creature is now removed and put into the graveyard. Do they still have to keep their mana tapped for the remainder of the turn and until their un-tap step?

They do not get a refund. Any lands they tapped remain tapped, and any mana they spent (which was probably produced by tapping lands) has been spent and is gone.

Yup, your opponent tapped their land to play that spell and you basically stopped it from happening. No way for them to undo it :D Also, make sure your counterspell can counter that type of spell. For instance, Remove Soul cannot counter an enchantment/aura.
They do not get a refund. Any lands they tapped remain tapped, and any mana they spent (which was probably produced by tapping lands) has been spent and is gone.

i feel really dumb for asking but whats the difference between mana and lands..i always thought they were the same thing... I'm assuming MANA is what u pay FOR a card to be played and lands is the physical land, giving the ability to use mana, to generate a spell?
Yup, your opponent tapped their land to play that spell and you basically stopped it from happening. No way for them to undo it :D Also, make sure your counterspell can counter that type of spell. For instance, Remove Soul cannot counter an enchantment/aura.

yup understand that, thanks
i feel really dumb for asking but whats the difference between mana and lands..i always thought they were the same thing... I'm assuming MANA is what u pay FOR a card to be played and lands is the physical land, giving the ability to use mana, to generate a spell?

Land is to Mana as an ATM is to Cash.

Land is something that produces Mana so that you can spend it to play things.
i feel really dumb for asking but whats the difference between mana and lands..i always thought they were the same thing...

That is a very common question, no need to feel dumb about it. In fact, we have a couple FAQ pages dedicated specifically to Land and Mana

With Rules Q&A, people are very matter of fact because well, they're rules. People aren't trying to be harsh, just making sure something is explained exactly correctly. So ask dumb questions, but remember you'll get very straight answers which might sound unfriendly, though that's not their intent. And double check if someone corrects the answer you were given, I've certainly been guilty of wording responses poorly, even changing what terms mean.
The end is always nigh.
So any old counter like Cancel or Spell pierce can counter a creature spell or does it have to be something like Remove Soul or Psychic barrier that explicitly says counter creature spell.   Sorry for the old post im new.
Yeah, just make a new thread next time.

Anything that can counter spells can counter creature spells, Cancel, Counterspell, Rune Snag, etc. Spell Pierce of course can't, because it says noncreature.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Sign In to post comments