Regenerate Tapped Creature?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it possible to regenerate a creature that is already tapped? If so, how does that work?
Is it possible to regenerate a creature that is already tapped? If so, how does that work?

yes. the regenerated creature stays tapped when the destruction is replaced

419.6b Regeneration is a destruction-replacement effect. The word “instead” doesn’t appear on the card but is implicit in the definition of regeneration. “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage from it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.” Abilities that trigger from damage being dealt still trigger even if the permanent regenerates.

so if a creature attacks, it taps to do so (unless it has Vigilance). now, it gets blocked and would be destroyed by the damage from the blocker. you play some spell/ability to give it a regeneration shield prior to it being destroyed. when it would be destroyed it receives the following effects instead if possible...
1) remove all damage from it
2) tap it
3) remove it from combat if it's attacking or blocking

sometimes the effects aren't relevant
tapping an already tapped creature for example
or removing a creature from combat that isn't in combat
or removing damage when there isn't any on the target of some spell that destroys it

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

It depends on a lot of things

1. If the "cost" to play the regeneration ability includes a "tap that creature", then you cannot regenerate this particular creature this way. Baron sengir

2. If you you have a spell in your hand that says regenerate target creature (or regenerate all creatures you control) then yes, it can be regenerated. Wrap in vigor

3. If that creature is enchanted by an aura that says "pay x : regenerate enchanted creature)" then again, it can be regenerated. Regeneration

I think that sums it up, but I'm not a Rules god (yet) :p

hope this helps

Naladrea
1. If the "cost" to play the regeneration ability includes a "tap that creature", then you cannot regenerate this particular creature this way. Baron sengir

I think the OP was asking more about the creature to be regenerated being tapped

Assuming Baron Sengir can play the ability, he put a regeneration shield on another Vampire regardless of whether that other Vampire is tapped or untapped.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

The effect that causes a creature to tap from being regenerated is just that... an effect. When a regeneration shield is used up, you do as much of the regeneration ability as possible--remove all damage from the creature (if any), tap it (if untapped), and remove it from combat (were it in combat).

Think of it like playing Mind Rot targeting a player with only one card in their hand. Even though they don't have two cards in their hand, they still discard the one, thus doing as much as possible.
2goth4u, What I meant is that you cannot regenerate Baron sengir using HIS ability if he is already tapped.

Naladrea
2goth4u, What I meant is that you cannot regenerate Baron sengir using HIS ability if he is already tapped.

You can't regenerate Baron Sengir using HIS ability no matter what.

: Regenerate another target Vampire.

DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
Bah they changed the text, i only looked at the card, ok then, bad exemple you i think they he gets the point on regenerating a tapped creature

Naladrea
Bah they changed the text, i only looked at the card

So? Even as printed, he couldn't regenerate himself.
Summon Legend

: Regenerate target Vampire.

DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel