Can you cast animate dead on a creature with shroud?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can you cast animate dead on a creature with shroud?

I know it doesn't work on guys with pro:black.
You CAN play Animate Dead targeting Creature Cards with either Shroud or Pro-Black.
Those abilities only do anything while they're on Permanents, and do nothing in other zones.

However, Pro-Black doesn't play well with AD because the Aura can't be attached to the Pro-Black Creature and it'll be put into the Graveyard for enchanting a non existent object, triggering the leaves-play ability.
You explained pro-black, but what about shroud? I mean after it's been targeted in the graveyard and comes on to the field with it attached, does shroud trigger now that it is a permanent and kill it off?
http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?pi=0&ps=20&sf=&sa=0&dm=0&p=637D444D76679831
@dsblink182, there is no trigger inolved with shroud.  Shroud simply means that, while on the battlefield, the creature with shroud cannot be targeted.  Animate Dead targets the creature while in the graveyard, where shroud had no effect.  When the creature is returned to play, Animate Dead uses its own rules to attach itself to that creature.  This attachment does not involve targetting the creature, so shroud does not have any effect in this interaction.
In the future, please start a new thread with your question instead of bumping a 3 year old one.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
@novacat, while I respect you're freedom of speech here, I feel that there is no reason to start a new thread when the question has already been asked but not all the answers given.

@Haze01, thank you, and I didn't mean to say trigger, I know shroud isn't a trigged effect, just a statebased effect that means it can't be targeted, I just didn't know if an enchantment means that it is forever being targeted or not.
http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?pi=0&ps=20&sf=&sa=0&dm=0&p=637D444D76679831
That is fine for a thread of a few hours, or maybe a day, but you reanimated a three year old thread.

And Shroud is a static ability, not a state-based effect (that is something else entirely).

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

It's important to remember that only spells and abilities on the stack can target anything. Permanents don't target, static abilities don't target, and cards in other zones don't target, though abilities of permanents and other cards may be triggered or activated, and target at that time.

Point being, targeting is strictly something that happens on the stack, and never happens anywhere else. That's why mana abilities never target anything.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.