Silver vs Black vs White Border Cards

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is the differance between these cards? Are all border colored cards legal in tournament? Is a Silver border (I'm thinking Unhinged set) okay to use?
20795.jpg
Black Bordered and White bordered Cards are legal in Sanctioned Tournaments.

Silver Bordered Cards (the Un sets) and Gold Bordered Cards (Wold Champions decks) are not legal in Sanctioned Tournaments.
[indent]102. Authorized Cards
Alpha cards (cards from the first print run of the core set) may be used in decks containing non-Alpha cards only if all cards are placed in completely opaque sleeves and only if the sleeves could not be considered marked. If sleeves are not used, Alpha cards may be used only in decks that consist exclusively of Alpha cards.

Participants may not use cards from special sets or supplements with alternate backs, squared corners or gold borders. (Examples: Collector’s Edition, Pro Tour Collector’s Set, World Championship decks.) Players may not use silver-bordered Unglued™ or Unhinged™ cards. Unglued and Unhinged basic land cards are allowed in sanctioned Magic tournaments.

Players may use cards from special sets and supplements with black- or white-bordered cards published by Wizards of the Coast that do not have alternate backs and/or squared corners. (Examples: the Anthologies™, Beatdown™, Battle Royale™, From the Vault: Dragons box sets). However, the card(s) must be otherwise legal to play in that tournament’s format.

A series of official promotional cards called textless spells are allowed in DCI-sanctioned Magic tournaments. However, the card(s) must otherwise be legal to play in that tournament’s format. These cards should be interpreted using their current Oracle™ wordings.[/indent]
Only cards with black or white borders may be used in sanctioned tournaments.

White borders usually signify core sets prior to Tenth Edition, and black borders usually signify expansions.

Gold (collectors' editions) and silver-bordered (Unhinged/Unglued) cards are not allowed in any sanctioned tournaments.
When you ask a rules question, please autocard. Type [c]Doom Blade[/c] to get Doom Blade.
What Color Am I?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Both black and white bordered cards are legal.

Silver bordered cards are from the un-sets. Cards from those sets (with the exception of the basic lands, which are black bordered anyway) are not tournament legal.
57092228 wrote:
It is not logic: it's Magic.

Black border cards means that it'S the first time the card have been printed, Except for the 10th edition cards, except for some weird foreign language exception (even the official of WotC have difficulty to remember all the exception to the rule.)

The White bordre means the card is a reprint ( except again for the exception, that are pretty hard to follow)
Black border cards means that it'S the first time the card have been printed, Except for the 10th edition cards, except for some weird foreign language exception (even the official of blizzard have difficulty to remember all the exception to the rule.)

The White bordre means the card is a reprint ( except again for the exception, that are pretty hard to follow)

No.

White borders were for most of the core sets. Black border has always been at least used for expansions. (I don't know if the card images in Gatherer for pre-expansion core sets are correct or not, as far as the color of the border goes.)

Also, what does Blizzard have to do with any of this?

MTG Rules Advisor

Black border cards means that it'S the first time the card have been printed, Except for the 10th edition cards, except for some weird foreign language exception (even the official of blizzard have difficulty to remember all the exception to the rule.)

Totally untrue. I have, amongst other cards, a black-bordered Shards of Alara Naturalize. This is certainly not the first print of it.
57092228 wrote:
It is not logic: it's Magic.

Like I said today there is so manay exception that they might have change the rule all together, but originaly the border was for differentiate the first print with the reprint : http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/af159
Wizard's reprint policy is highly complex and convoluted, and is mostly irrelevant to the topic at hand.
Black border cards means that it'S the first time the card have been printed, Except for the 10th edition cards, except for some weird foreign language exception (even the official of blizzard have difficulty to remember all the exception to the rule.) The White bordre means the card is a reprint ( except again for the exception, that are pretty hard to follow)

Totally untrue. I have, amongst other cards, a black-bordered Shards of Alara Naturalize. This is certainly not the first print of it.

Sign In to post comments