first strike and multiple creatures blocking

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
What happens if I have a 5/5 creature with first strike and my opponent blocks it with multiple creatures, how would that battle work out?
What happens if I have a 5/5 creature with first strike and my opponent blocks it with multiple creatures, how would that battle work out?

There will be two combat damage steps.

In the first combat damage step, your attacking creature will assign and deal 5 damage, divided as you choose among the blocking creatures.

In the second combat damage step, any surviving blockers will assign and deal their damage to your attacking creature.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Assuming none of the blockers have first/double strike, then your attacker assigns and deals 5 damage divided among the blockers in the first strike combat damage step. Then, any blockers that survive will assign their damage to your 5/5 in the normal combat damage step.

In the first combat damage step, your 5/5 deals a total of 5 damage among the creatures blocking it, divided as you choose, and any blockers that happen to have first strike or double strike will deal damage equal to their power to your 5/5. In the second combat damage step, any surviving blockers will deal damage equal to their power to your 5/5.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel

ok say i attack with a 10/10 whatever.... and my opponent blocks with 3 creatures..(in this order).. 2 4/2 first strikes and a 5/1 haste...... How does the stack work... who dies?

ok say i attack with a 10/10 whatever.... and my opponent blocks with 3 creatures..(in this order).. 2 4/2 first strikes and a 5/1 haste...... How does the stack work... who dies?

You know, you could have just started a new thread rather than bump a nine-month old one with a different question...

Note that the defending player does not choose an order in which the creatures block the attacker. What you're thinking of is that the attacking player declares in which order his attacker will assign damage to its blockers.

But anyway, order doesn't really matter much in this case. The two 4/2s deal a total of 8 damage to the attacker, there's a pause, and then (assuming the attacking player wants to kill all the blockers) the 10/10 deals 10 damage total amongst its blockers, with at least 2 to each of the 4/2s and at least 1 to the 5/1; at the same time, the 5/1 deals another 5 damage to the attacker. All four creatures die for having lethal damage marked on them.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

You know, you could have just started a new thread rather than bump a nine-month old one with a different question...

And this is an excellent example of why one shouldn't bump old threads: the original answers are now misleading at least, if not outright wrong, because in the meantime the rules about this situation changed greatly. 
[<o>]