Lush growth

166 posts / 0 new
Last post
lush growth

If a land that is enchanted with lush growth is tapped what do you add to your mana pool?
lush growth

If a land that is enchanted with lush growth is tapped what do you add to your mana pool?

That depends: Which one (1) ability did you choose to play before tapping it?

Playing a spell or activated ability starts with declaring which one spell or ability you are playing and ends with paying the cost of that one spell or ability.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

soo...if I say it is mountain it is a mountain?
If you tap a Lush Growth'd land for mana, it will generate either , or , depending on what mana ability you wanted to use.
soo...if I say it is mountain it is a mountain?

Lush Growth gives the enchanted land three subtypes. These subtypes each grant the land the ability to tap for one colour of mana. (This can be demonstrated by quoting the rules if you wish).

So your land has the following abilities.[indent]: Add to your mana pool.
: Add to your mana pool.
: Add to your mana pool.[/indent]As Feigel said, the first thing to do is to choose which ability to play. The one you choose determines which colour of mana is produced.

The chosen ability determines what colour of mana abilities like Heartbeat of Spring's can add to your mana pool.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Lush Growth gives the enchanted land three subtypes. These subtypes each grant the land the ability to tap for one colour of mana. (This can be demonstrated by quoting the rules if you wish).

So your land has the following abilities.[indent]: Add to your mana pool.
: Add to your mana pool.[/indent]As Feigel said, the first thing to do is to choose which ability to play. The one you choose determines which colour of mana is produced.

The chosen ability determines what colour of mana abilities like Heartbeat of Spring's can add to your mana pool.

Ummm couple of questions on this. Technically it doesn't say that it give you:

I've always wondered about this. From how I read it when you tap the enchanted land you should get: because it says that it is "a Mountain, Forest AND Plains". Otherwise I believe it would have read: OR

I don't know if there has been an official ruling on that but gatherer doesn't say anything.

Also a 2nd question... with Heartbeat of Spring... I don't get it. It gives everyone double mana???
"Whenever a player taps a land for mana, that player adds one mana of that type to his or her mana pool"
Unless you are trying to give the other player mana burn how can this be a good thing? Am I understanding that card correctly?
Ummm couple of questions on this. Technically it doesn't say that it give you:

Yes. It does.

212.6g The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words “basic land type,” it’s referring to one of these subtypes. A land with a basic land type has an intrinsic ability to produce colored mana. (See rule 406, “Mana Abilities.”) The land is treated as if its text box included, “: Add [mana symbol] to your mana pool,” even if the text box doesn’t actually contain text or the card has no text box. Plains produce white mana; Islands, blue; Swamps, black; Mountains, red; and Forests, green.

212.6h If an effect changes a land’s subtype to one or more of the basic land types, the land no longer has its old land type. It loses all abilities generated from its rules text and its old land types, and it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type. Note that this doesn’t remove any abilities that were granted to the land by other effects. Changing a land’s subtype doesn’t add or remove any card types (such as creature) or supertypes (such as basic, legendary, and snow) the land may have. If a land gains one or more land types in addition to its own, it keeps its land types and rules text, and it gains the new land types and mana abilities.

I've always wondered about this. From how I read it when you tap the enchanted land you should get: because it says that it is "a Mountain, Forest AND Plains". Otherwise I believe it would have read: OR

I don't know if there has been an official ruling on that but gatherer doesn't say anything.

Why settle for rulings when we have rules?

Pay
Playing most spells and activated abilities requires paying costs; see rule 409, “Playing Spells and Activated Abilities.” Declaring attackers (see rule 308, “Declare Attackers Step”) and declaring blockers (see rule 309, “Declare Blockers Step”) can also require paying costs.
Paying mana is done by removing the indicated amount of mana from the player’s mana pool. Any time a player is asked to pay mana, mana abilities may be played. Mana abilities must be played before the costs are paid. Paying life subtracts the indicated amount of life from the player’s life total. A player can’t pay more mana than the amount of mana in his or her mana pool or more life than his or her life total. Zero life or zero mana can always be paid, even if the player has less than zero life. Unpayable costs can’t be paid.
To pay any cost, the player carries out the instructions specified by the spell, ability, or effect. It’s illegal to attempt paying a cost when unable to successfully follow the instructions. For example, a player can’t pay a cost that requires tapping a creature if that creature is already tapped.
Each payment applies to only one spell or ability. For example, a player can’t sacrifice just one creature to play the activated abilities of two permanents that require sacrificing a creature as a cost. Also, the resolution of a spell or ability doesn’t pay another spell or ability’s cost, even if part of its effect is doing the same thing the other cost asks for.

Also a 2nd question... with Heartbeat of Spring... I don't get it. It gives everyone double mana???
"Whenever a player taps a land for mana, that player adds one mana of that type to his or her mana pool"
Unless you are trying to give the other player mana burn how can this be a good thing? Am I understanding that card correctly?

Strategy is discussed in a separate forum.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Yes.

It gives you double mana too. If your opponent is playing a fast aggro deck (lots of one-three drops) and your playing with fatties like cloudthresher, it can really help you out.

Note: Not every card is good.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Firstly, I see Argus has quoted the rules I was thinking of while I was off looking them up.

Heartbeat of Spring applies only to activated mana abilities of lands; it does not apply to nonlands. It's a double-edged sword; your opponents can often benefit. However, you have built your deck to take advantage of the increased mana flow and your opponent hasn't. Probably.

Advice on how to use such cards can be sought in other forums, since this forum is for seeking advice on rules questions, which makes strategy advice spam if given here.
You are Red/Blue!
Sorry about wandering into stragety... It's hard when a topic is right there to not comment on it.

Thank you for the responses though.
I'm sorry... I still don't see where it says that you would NOT have all three when you tapped the land.

To me you answered me what I thought:
"it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type."
So it gains each mana type, not which one you CHOOSE before it is tapped. When you tap it you are tapping a Mountain, Forest AND a Plains. You are tapping all 3 in one card.

Why settle for rulings when we have rules?

WTF is that supposed to mean? Does it mean that you are avoiding my question entirely about how it says that it is ALL THREE of them at once.

Also your next "rules" doesn't apply if you READ the example:
"For example, a player can’t sacrifice just one creature to play the activated abilities of two permanents that require sacrificing a creature as a cost."
It's saying that I cannot tap for and play that for two different things.

I just don't see how someone can say that if the card says that the enchanted land is a mountain, forest AND plains that you can make it choose only one to give you mana from. ESPECIALLY when you give me the awesome rule of "it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type" which would mean that it gains the ability to produce one one and one when tapped.
I'm sorry... I still don't see where it says that you would NOT have all three when you tapped the land.

So it gains each mana type, not which one you CHOOSE before it is tapped. When you tap it you are tapping a Mountain, Forest AND a Plains. You are tapping all 3 in one card.

Yes, you are. But why does tapping a Mountain give you . It's not because you're tapping a Mountain. Mountains don't say "Whenever you tap Mountain, add to your mana pool." Instead, they say ": Add to your mana pool." You get the mana because you're playing the activated ability.

A land enchanted with Lush Growth is a Mountain, Forest, and Plains. So it has three different abilities:
": Add to your mana pool."

You can tap it to play any one of the abilities, but you are playing one of them, so you will not get the benefits of the others.

If I have a vending machine, with the price of "tap" and it has 3 different sodas (, , and ), if I give it a "tap" do I get all 3, or whichever one I chose?

Take a look at a land like Taiga or Sacred Foundry. Notice how they are two land types, yet only tap for 1 mana. They simply have two different abilities.

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*

A land that gains the land types Mountain, Forest and Plains gains three separate abilities. One is the ability to tap it for red mana. One is the ability to tap it for green mana. One is the ability to tap it for white mana.

You can only play one ability at a time. So you announce which ability you're playing and you pay for that ability by tapping the land. Depending on which ability you chose, you get one red mana, one green mana, or one white mana.

You can't play another ability of the same land because the land is now tapped, so you can't pay the cost of the remaining two abilities.

Think of it in terms of a vending machine that sells water, apple juice, and orange juice for a dollar each and you have one dollar. Even though the machine sells water, apple juice AND orange juice, you can only buy water, apple juice OR orange juice.
DCI Level 2 Judge Please use autocard when you ask a question about specific cards: [c]Serra Angel[/c] -> Serra Angel
I guess I see what you are saying now... Just the card text to mean means something other than what the rules say. Reading more carefully now and really thinking about it what the card is really saying is "Enchant target land to gain the abilities of..." instead of what it says.

To me it says that if I had a vending machine that sold drinks (using the same analogy) to me the the button said that this button is all three Mountain Dew, Pepsi and Dr. Pepper then either one of two things you would think would happen:

1) It's your lucky day and you are going to get three sodas for the price of one or
2) You are about to play rush and roulette with the soda machine and you don't know which it will spit out at you.

The card text to me sucks because it reads like #1 would be what it gives you however the "rules" will tell you that #2 is really what's happening.

Thanks again.

No, you're not. Really.

Go back to Argus's post, and look at the first rule he quoted; 212.6g.

What that rule is telling you is this :[indent]Any land card with the Mountain subtype has the ability ": Add to your mana pool."
Any land card with the Forest subtype has the ability ": Add to your mana pool."
Any land card with the Plains subtype has the ability ": Add to your mana pool."
Any land card with the Island subtype has the ability ": Add to your mana pool."
Any land card with the Swamp subtype has the ability ": Add to your mana pool."[/indent]. Those are separate statements.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Does it mean that you are avoiding my question entirely about how it says that it is ALL THREE of them at once.

Argus has a firm belief in treating the rules as the primary source when interpreting a card - see his sig.

A ruling is the application of the rules to a specific card, combination of cards or situation. Rulings can be (and frequently have been) invalidated by changes to the rules. If you come across a ruling you can't understand or that seems to disagree with the rules, the reason is probably htat the rules have been changed.

Also your next "rules" doesn't apply if you READ the example:
"For example, a player can’t sacrifice just one creature to play the activated abilities of two permanents that require sacrificing a creature as a cost."
It's saying that I cannot tap for and play that for two different things.

No, it's not.

An activated ability is an ability with a colon (":") in the Oracle text of the ability. All activated abilities have a colon in, and all abilities with the colon in are activated abilities. The colon separates the cost from the effect; everything prior to the colon is the cost of the ability, and everything after the colon is the effect.

You can only play one activated ability at a time, and you have to pay the full cost of the ability each time you play it. A land enchanted by Lush Growth has three abilities (see above).

I just don't see how someone can say that if the card says that the enchanted land is a mountain, forest AND plains that you can make it choose only one to give you mana from. ESPECIALLY when you give me the awesome rule of "it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type" which would mean that it gains the ability to produce one one and one when tapped.

As explained, the rules check separately for each of the basic land types, and each land type adds the full ability to the land, including the cost to use it.

ETA : Sorry to have taken so long to draft that.
You are Red/Blue!
I guess I see what you are saying now... Just the card text to mean means something other than what the rules say. Reading more carefully now and really thinking about it what the card is really saying is "Enchant target land to gain the abilities of..." instead of what it says.

It means what it says.

It does not mean what noviceuser wants it to say.

If it meant 'Enchanted land has ": Add to your mana pool."', it would say that.

Reason for enchanted land to have ": Add to your mana pool.": It's a Mountain.
Reason for enchanted land to be a Mountain: Lush Growth says it is.
Reason for enchanted land to have ": Add to your mana pool.":

To me it says that if I had a vending machine that sold drinks (using the same analogy) to me the the button said that this button is all three Mountain Dew, Pepsi and Dr. Pepper then either one of two things you would think would happen:

1) It's your lucky day and you are going to get three sodas for the price of one or
2) You are about to play rush and roulette with the soda machine and you don't know which it will spit out at you.

The card text to me sucks because it reads like #1 would be what it gives you however the "rules" will tell you that #2 is really what's happening.

Thanks again.

"Where's a vending machine that sells Mountain Dew?"
"That one over there."
"Where's a vending machine that sells Pepsi?"
"That one over there."
"Where's a vending machine that sells Dr. Pepper?"
"That one that I've pointed at twice already."

How would you expect that vending machine to act when you press the button?

As I pointed out in my initial reply, playing a spell or activated ability starts with declaring which one (1) spell or ability you are playing, and ends with paying the cost of that one (1) spell or ability. You don't start with paying a cost and then see which spells/abilities are consistent with that. This is true whether the cost consists of spending mana or sacrificing a permanent or tapping a permanent.

You can't pay the cost of all three abilities with one tap of the card.

If the card says

: Add to your mana pool

One Tap = One Mana

Again with the soda analogy you put $1 into the machine you won't get all 3 different sodas out you will get the one soda you order.

You pay one tap of the enchanted land you won't get all 3 mana, you will get the one of your choice.

Stomping Ground is a Mountain and a Forest but its rules text clearly states: Add or to your mana pool

If you tap Adarkar Wastes you won't get or you need to choose an effect to use, either get one colorless mana or and lose one life or and lose one life. You can't play two different abilities using the same tap as the cost.
Everyone involved please read Quote #4 in my sig. Calm down, and relax. Magic is a complicated game.

noviceuser, I still think the reason you're having a hard time understanding this is because of how you think tapping a land works.

If you have a Mountain and I play Twitch on it, tapping it. Do you get ?

No, you do not, because although a Mountain was tapped, you did not play its ability, so you do not get the effect (Add to your mana pool.)

Taiga is a Mountain and a Forest. When I tap it, I am tapping a Mountain and a Forest. It is both.

However, just because a Mountain becomes tapped doesn't mean I get . Just because a Forest is tapped doesn't mean I get .

I only get the mana because I am playing the ability, the cost of which happens to be tapping the land.

Look at some different cards... Taiga, Sacred Foundry, Boros Garrison. (Boros Garrison does give you two mana, because it says so. It doesn't have any land types, so it doesn't have the inherent abilities.)

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
Everyone involved please read Quote #4 in my sig. Calm down, and relax. Magic is a complicated game.

noviceuser, I still think the reason you're having a hard time understanding this is because of how you think tapping a land works.

If you have a Mountain and I play Twitch on it, tapping it. Do you get ?

No, you do not, because although a Mountain was tapped, you did not play its ability, so you do not get the effect (Add to your mana pool.)

Taiga is a Mountain and a Forest. When I tap it, I am tapping a Mountain and a Forest. It is both.

However, just because a Mountain becomes tapped doesn't mean I get . Just because a Forest is tapped doesn't mean I get .

I only get the mana because I am playing the ability, the cost of which happens to be tapping the land.

Look at some different cards... Taiga, Sacred Foundry, Boros Garrison. (Boros Garrison does give you two mana, because it says so. It doesn't have any land types, so it doesn't have the inherent abilities.)

Gerdef

Finally someone else on these forums who makes sense and is not an ass about it other than "everyone understands that already, you should too".

Ok so I get what you are saying. But I still don't completely understand... for instance with Taiga the card specifically says "tapp to add either..." which in Magic is the tell all (what the card specifies). So if the card did not specify then what would you THINK you get? For me I would say both because it says that it is both and when you "activate" one BECAUSE it is both it activates BOTH by proxy. Again it "activates" all three because it IS all three. And again it doesn't say like Sacred Foundry that you choose which one you want.

Don't get me wrong... I'll go with it but I don't agree with it and would love for the rules to be more specified to specifically say that it CANNOT BE ALL THREE AT ONCE or something to that extent because like I said the card says it.
Don't get me wrong... I'll go with it but I don't agree with it and would love for the rules to be more specified to specifically say that it CANNOT BE ALL THREE AT ONCE or something to that extent because like I said the card says it.

That's the thing about the cards, after a while they stop using reminder text for things. (For space issues) If that card was printed in Ravnica block it would probably have the text you are asking for.
And again it doesn't say like Sacred Foundry that you choose which one you want.

The text on Sacred Foundry that outlines how its mana-production works is actually reminder text, not rules text.

Rules text is the text on your cards that makes the card work--Air Elemental has the flying ability because its rules text includes "Flying".

Reminder text, on the other hand, never changes how the card works--it just explains how the rules already make the card work. For example, Skill Borrower's ability has reminder text that says: "(If any of the abilities use that card's name, use this creature's name instead.)" The Borrower's ability would work exactly the same as it already does if that reminder text wasn't there--the reminder text doesn't define how the card works, just explain how the rules already make it work.

You can tell what's reminder text because reminder text is always in parentheses and italics; any text that's in italics will never change how the card works.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

That's the thing about the cards, after a while they stop using reminder text for things. (For space issues) If that card was printed in Ravnica block it would probably have the text you are asking for.

I see what you mean etc. however the card is a solid 60% flavor text so "space" wasn't a factor (or shouldn't have been).

Also maybe it's a big problem of WotC and the magic community to alienate new players with their not wanting to put "reminder" text on cards such as this. I would love to ask 100 non-magic players what they thought this card meant.

You should always try to reach out to new players and honestly adding "reminder" text is nothing but extraneous to old players so what does it matter to add it? Or why not just put, like I said, "enchanted land gains X, Y, Z" Or "Activate enchanted land to add one of the following to your mana pool: X, Y or Z" Actually you can't just do that because of the context of the land being a mountain, forest and plains so they should have put something in there.

Regardless, it is what it is and I came here in search for the answer and I found it. I also see that this card has no "official rulings" so hopefully someone will challenge what I have said to get an official ruling.
Quite often, there will be text printed on a card that is redundant: although the card would work the same without it, they still print it because they think the text will help people understand it more quickly and with fewer disputes.

In the modern era, such text is usually printed as "reminder text." Reminder text is in parenthesis and italics. It is always true that reminder text has no rules significance. That is, if the reminder text were left off a card, it would still do exactly the same thing. Sacred Foundry is an example of this. The fact that it taps for either or is already true because it IS (always) both a mountain and a plains. That reminder text is just there to help people who didn't know that a Mountain Plains automatically (by the rules) has two separate abilities, one which taps for and one which taps for .

In the olden days of Magic, reminder text was often printed as part of the card's text. For example, look at the Antiquities Sage of Lat-Nam or the Revised Clone versus their current Oracle text. Taiga is an example of this. If you look at its Oracle text, you will see that it is empty(!), because it doesn't need any. The fact that it has two land types gives it two abilities, either one of which can be played as long as the cost () can be paid.

So if the card did not specify then what would you THINK you get? For me I would say both because it says that it is both and when you "activate" one BECAUSE it is both it activates BOTH by proxy.

This sort of thinking is very common for people learning the game or moving from a very casual to a more technically correct way of playing. Many people think that the action of tapping is what causes the ability to fire off, so that multiple abilities can fire off when you tap it once. It can be counterintuitive to realize the actual order of things: you choose one ability and announce that you are going to play it, and then you only pay the cost () once you have determined that the ability costs . In a sense, playing the ability is what causes you to have to pay the cost for it.

Such a rule would be technically wrong, so you won't see it anytime soon. What the card says is true: A land can "be" all 3 land types at once, without adding all 3 colors of mana to your mana pool. Taiga is both a mountain and a forest, and it has no card text (in the Oracle) that tells you what to do about that, but it still only produces one or the other color.

Say you control a Zombie Trailblazer and a Master Apothecary, along with a Zombie Cleric such as Boneknitter. Boneknitter is a zombie and a cleric, both at once. However, it can only be tapped to pay for the cost of one of the two abilities. Being both things at once does not let it activate both abilities just by tapping once.

Also maybe it's a big problem of WotC and the magic community to alienate new players with their not wanting to put "reminder" text on cards such as this. I would love to ask 100 non-magic players what they thought this card meant.

To some extent, you have to expect people to read the rules of the game they are playing. Non-magic players also wouldn't know what a Forest meant, since it has no rules text at all. If you are playing a game, there's a certain expectation that you are willing to read and understand the basic rules, and apply the cards within that framework, looking up anything that doesn't seem to be covered in the basic rulebook.

There will always be a balance of keeping cards brief (by having their behavior in the rules) or having them be more understandable to someone who just picks them up. I would expect this card to confuse a new player once, at which point they would ask a friend, ask rules q&a, or look up in the rulebook what happens when you give a new land type to a land. After that, since it's a pretty simple rule, I'd expect that they remember it and carry on even though it isn't written on the cards.

As far as newbie-confusing card text goes, there are worse examples than this, so I'm not going to be the first on the "change Lush Growth's text" bandwagon. (Loads of new players don't understand that Wild Growth provides additional mana rather than replacing what the land provides, for example.)
Ok so I get what you are saying. But I still don't completely understand... for instance with Taiga the card specifically says "tapp to add either..." which in Magic is the tell all (what the card specifies). So if the card did not specify then what would you THINK you get? For me I would say both because it says that it is both and when you "activate" one BECAUSE it is both it activates BOTH by proxy. Again it "activates" all three because it IS all three. And again it doesn't say like Sacred Foundry that you choose which one you want.

Well, you're not alone, plenty of people have the same (or similar) misconceptions.

I can't really think of another way to describe it though. Are you familiar with Activated Abilities and Triggered Abilities? I hate to keep saying the same thing over and over (if it doesn't help you once, it's unlikely to the 2nd time), but I keep thinking you're confusing the two.

Give a man a fish...

Well, to us, the Rules do say that. What we're trying to teach you is how to see it, too.

EDIT: Your point about Reminder Text is valid though. Simply putting "(It can tap for , , or , but loses other abilities)" might not have been a bad idea.

Gerdef
Well, you're not alone, plenty of people have the same (or similar) misconceptions.

I can't really think of another way to describe it though. Are you familiar with Activated Abilities and Triggered Abilities? I hate to keep saying the same thing over and over (if it doesn't help you once, it's unlikely to the 2nd time), but I keep thinking you're confusing the two.

Give a man a fish...

Well, to us, the Rules do say that. What we're trying to teach you is how to see it, too.

EDIT: Your point about Reminder Text is valid though. Simply putting "(It can tap for , , or , but loses other abilities)" might not have been a bad idea.

Gerdef

I understand it now... I get that is what the rule says but it's just one of those things that I've never seen before and so I would assume X simply because the card did not state anything but. Also I guess wrapping my head around the fact that you "choose the ability FIRST THEN PAY the cost" thing may help but even then if I thought that the card IS all three then I might say that yes I am making the three mana... tap.

I get it now... and the more I understand the more I understand... hmmm.
To bring back up the vending machine analogy again, in case it helps: It's not one machine with one button for all three flavors of pop; it's one vending machine with three different buttons, one for each flavor.

To bring back up the vending machine analogy again, in case it helps: It's not one machine with one button for all three flavors of pop; it's one vending machine with three different buttons, one for each flavor.

Vending Machine :D

Gerdef
I see what you mean etc. however the card is a solid 60% flavor text so "space" wasn't a factor (or shouldn't have been).

You should always try to reach out to new players and honestly adding "reminder" text is nothing but extraneous to old players so what does it matter to add it? Or why not just put, like I said, "enchanted land gains X, Y, Z" Or "Activate enchanted land to add one of the following to your mana pool: X, Y or Z" Actually you can't just do that because of the context of the land being a mountain, forest and plains so they should have put something in there.

Regardless, it is what it is and I came here in search for the answer and I found it. I also see that this card has no "official rulings" so hopefully someone will challenge what I have said to get an official ruling.

While I see where you are coming from but they want to keep it uniform. Not all cards that they've taken the reminder text off of needed the space but some do.

They've even come to a point where they have taken it off of basic lands which I've seen confuse a lot of people. If you look at an old Island it has the reminder text while newer basics have a giant mana symbol instead.

Cards that are printed in expansions that have older keywords work the same way. Flying, Haste, Shroud, Reach, Defender, etc. are printed without rules text these days (outside of core sets).

But that's not what the CARD says... that's what the RULES say. Big difference considering that really there are no "Trigger" or "Keywords" on the card (Lifelink, Trample etc.) that would prompt me to even look at the comprehensive rulebook to try to see if there is a ruling on how that would work.

If you didn't know the 'rules' before you read a card like that and then read this card you could easily not think you needed to check the rules and play it as I saw the card because of the simplicity of the card.
But that's not what the CARD says... that's what the RULES say. Big difference considering that really there are no "Trigger" or "Keywords" on the card (Lifelink, Trample etc.) that would prompt me to even look at the comprehensive rulebook to try to see if there is a ruling on how that would work.

If you didn't know the 'rules' before you read a card like that and then read this card you could easily not think you needed to check the rules and play it as I saw the card because of the simplicity of the card.

The game doesn't try and put all the information needed to play the game on cards any more.

Cards do what their Oracle text says they do, within the framework of the rules. So you have to have some idea of that framework in order to play. The basic rulebook (should be available from here somewhere) provides sufficient framework for everyone, except for judges (and people who are really into the detail side of the game, like many people here).

Ahh, here we are. From here you can download the basic rules, the Comprehensive Rulebook, access Gatherer to look up the real wordings on cards, and get the handy-dandy keyword cheat sheet summarising the evergreen keywords (the ones they will use often). The blurb says "all" but it isn't. Not by a long chalk.
You are Red/Blue!
Lush Growth is one of the many tricky cards i have come across where it can be both 1 mana or all 3 plus the inital mana. But i always follow the "Magic Golden Rule"

103. The Magic Golden Rules
103.1. Whenever a card’s text directly contradicts these rules, the card takes precedence. The card
overrides only the rule that applies to that specific situation. The only exception is that a player can
concede the game at any time (see rule 102.3a).

Use that with common sense where "and" means all of them.

Magic uses the whole "Choose one or both" or "and/or" in there card text.

Since Lush Growth says "Enchanted land is a Mountain, Forest, and Plains." Then it's all 3.
Lush Growth is one of the many tricky cards i have come across where it can be both 1 mana or all 3 plus the inital mana.

What the heck are you talking about?

Growth only Sets the Land's Land Type to 3 Basic Land Types.
Each Basic Land Type brings an intrinsic Mana ability with it.

You can only play ONE of those 3 Mana abilities at a time; Thus, only producing ONE Mana.
But i always follow the "Magic Golden Rule"

What Rule do you think this Card contradicts?
212.6h If an effect changes a land’s subtype to one or more of the basic land types, the land no
longer has its old land type. It loses all abilities generated from its rules text and its old land
types, and it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type. Note that this
doesn’t remove any abilities that were granted to the land by other effects. Changing a land’s
subtype doesn’t add or remove any card types (such as creature) or supertypes (such as basic,
legendary, and snow) the land may have. If a land gains one or more land types in addition to its
own, it keeps its land types and rules text, and it gains the new land types and mana abilities.

As it says it keeps it inital mana AND the the other 3, as it states in the card text Enchanted land is a Mountain, Forest, and Plains.
As it says it keeps it inital mana AND the the other 3, as it states in the card text Enchanted land is a Mountain, Forest, and Plains.

Read the Rule.
[indent]212.6h If an effect changes a land's subtype to one or more of the basic land types, the land no longer has its old land type. It loses all abilities generated from its rules text and its old land types, and it gains the appropriate mana ability for each new basic land type. Note that this doesn't remove any abilities that were granted to the land by other effects. Changing a land's subtype doesn't add or remove any card types (such as creature) or supertypes (such as basic, legendary, and snow) the land may have. [size=4]If a land gains one or more land types in addition to its own,[/size] it keeps its land types and rules text, and it gains the new land types and mana abilities.[/indent]

Lush Growth sets the Land's Land Type. It does NOT add to them.
Since Lush Growth says "Enchanted land is a Mountain, Forest, and Plains." Then it's all 3.

Whether or not a land is "all three" is completely irrelevant. All that means is that it has three different mana abilities. A land doesn't produce a kind of mana simply because it has an ability; it produces mana when you PLAY an ability that it has.

You can only play one ability at at time. So if you play the "Add to your mana pool" ability, the fact that it is also a forest and a plains doen't matter. It produces , and only.

It has all three costs as well as all three effects. If you want to tap it for all three colors of mana you must tap it three times.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
But that's not what the CARD says... that's what the RULES say.

Right, it is what the rules say. Because if you go by what the card says, and only what the card says, then it doesn't really do anything at all.

Nowhere on the card does it say that the land is given the ability to tap for colors of mana other than what it could already produce. Nowhere on any card does anything say that changing a land's type will do anything more useful than enabling landwalk. The only thing that tells you that changing the land's type will give it certain abilities is the rules.

The cards tell you what they do. The rules tell you what the heck the cards mean when they do so.

After having read through the whole thread, I'm still of the same impression I had after the first post. I really think you probably need to read about the difference between Land and Mana. Maybe you already know it. But I don't get that impression from many of your posts. You can read about it here:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=15170015#post15170015

Secondly, your comments about reminder text don't carry any water.

Lush Growth is from the Shards of Alara expansion. If you look at the packaging from a Shards of Alara booster, you will see that it is an "Expert" set. It is not intended for beginners. It is not printed with beginners in mind (for the most part). Expert expansions typically only include reminder text for abilities that are new to Magic and haven't been previously printed. The Core sets (10th edition for example) aren't marked as Expert sets. Reminder text is included for most abilities in Core sets.

For example, a creature with Flying will not have reminder text in an Expert set, but will have it in a non-Expert set. (Though this is not true for Core sets prior to 8th edition.)
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
Well, nearly the first thing the basic rulebook tells you about how to play magic is as follows:
The Magic game has five colors of spells and five types of basic lands. For example, red spells have in their costs, and
tapping (turning) a Mountain gives you that you can spend to play spells.

I can see where the confusion may come from.
Ouch. That's pretty bad. No wonder so many new players get confused.

WotC really should look into changing how that is worded!
I'm just a Pigment of your imagination.
I've read this and I still don't get it. Everyone says the rules for land says this or that. The OFFICIAL RULEBOOK says on page 12 subtitle "The Golden Rule" "When a Magic card contradicts the rulebook, the card wins.", they use Relentless Assault as an Example. The Text on Lush Growth, which is very poorly explained, says "Enchanted land is a Mountain, Forest, and Plains." which says to me when you tap it you add R/G/W to you mana pool. Past examples; Sacred Foundry says "T Add R or W to your mana pool." Or being key whereas Boros Garrison says "T Add RW to your mana pool" no "or" there. Boros Garrison is an example of a land tapping once for more than one mana. So knowing English and AND means AND and OR means OR and citing the "Golden Rule" page 12 official rules, then I say the enchanted land taps for R/G/W otherwise just use a Jungle Shrine and stop people from complaining.
Sign In to post comments