Rules on Protection and sacrificing

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi

I've read all the rulings on Protection and Sacrificing in other threads and the detailed rule txt, and i kinda have an idea of what the answer is, BUT i would like to verify with the rule gods of MTG

If i use a card like Culling the Weak, can I sacrifice a creature that has protection of black?

I'm guessing no.
Since the creature has complete immunity to black spells, it shouldn't be able affected by any black spells even those that doesn't specify a target.
But for some reason this doesn't make complete sense to me but I can't seem to explain it.

the reason I'm asking this question is that i made a Pestilence deck and I'm using Culling the Weak. (I don't have any Dark Ritual and don't wish to purchase them)

Another question would be (with similar regard to the first one) do I have to sacrifice a protection from black creature if it's the only one on the field when my opponent plays Diabolic Edict

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!!
Yes and yes.

Protection does four things that can be remembered by the pnuemonic DEBT:

Protection from ~ means:

Damage from a ~ source is prevented.
Cannot be Enchanted, Equipped, or Fortified by ~ sources.
Cannot be Blocked by ~ sources.
Cannot be Targeted by ~ sources.

Neither of the cards you asked about is trying to do any of these. Note that Diabolic Edict does target, but it targets the player, not the creature being sac'd.

^ That made sense to me at 4:20...

Hi

I've read all the rulings on Protection and Sacrificing in other threads and the detailed rule txt, and i kinda have an idea of what the answer is, BUT i would like to verify with the rule gods of MTG

If i use a card like Culling the Weak, can I sacrifice a creature that has protection of black?

I'm guessing no.
Since the creature has complete immunity to black spells, it shouldn't be able affected by any black spells even those that doesn't specify a target.
But for some reason this doesn't make complete sense to me but I can't seem to explain it.

the reason I'm asking this question is that i made a Pestilence deck and I'm using Culling the Weak. (I don't have any Dark Ritual and don't wish to purchase them)

Another question would be (with similar regard to the first one) do I have to sacrifice a protection from black creature if it's the only one on the field when my opponent plays Diabolic Edict

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!!

Thanks for autocarding!

Yes, you can sacrifice a creature with Pro:Black, and yes, you'll have to sacrifice one if it's your only creature and you're targeted by Cruel Edict.

Your misconception about Protection is that it makes the creature "immune" to Black spells. It doesn't.

Protection only stops 4 specific things (DEBT):
Damage
Enchantments / Equipment
Blocking
Targeting

Sacrificing the creature to play the Black spell does none of these things, so it works. Cruel Edict targets only you, not your creature, and it requires you to sacrifice it, not damage it.

Similarly, Damnation would destroy Cemetery Gate because it doesn't target and doesn't damage.

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
wow!
thanks for the fast replies!

you guys are awesome :D
thanks for the help!