Summoning Sickness

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
2 questions about this Sickness thing.

1. Plainswalker don't know this right? So they can use one ability the turn they come into play?

2. Convoke: Can I tap a creature that just came into play to pay convoke cost?
2 questions about this Sickness thing.

1. Plainswalker don't know this right? So they can use one ability the turn they come into play?

Only creatures are affected by summoning sickness.

2. Convoke: Can I tap a creature that just came into play to pay convoke cost?

A creature with summoning sickness cannot attack or use and IMAGE(http://resources.wizards.com/magic/images/symbols/untap.gif) abilities. It CAN be tapped or untapped by other effects, to pay for other abilities, etc.
1. Plainswalker don't know this right? So they can use one ability the turn they come into play?

Plainswalkers can't be blocked if the Defending Player controls a Plains.
Having Plainswalk does not allow the Creature to attack or play its / abilities unless you have controlled it since the beginning of your most recent turn.

PlaNEswalkers, on the other hand, are not Creatures.
You can play its ability as soon as you gain control of it.
2. Convoke: Can I tap a creature that just came into play to pay convoke cost?

Yes.
2 questions about this Sickness thing.

1. Plainswalker don't know this right? So they can use one ability the turn they come into play?

All the creatures that have Plainswalk that currently exist do indeed have summoning sickness. Planeswalkers, on the other hand, do not; their abilities may be played the moment they enter play. Summoning sickness affects only creatures; Planeswalkers are not creatures.

Chandra said to mention that she would like for people to please stop confusing her with a chicken.

2. Convoke: Can I tap a creature that just came into play to pay convoke cost?

Yes, you can. Summoning sickness only stops you from attacking and from paying costs represented by the or symbol, not from performing other actions that superficially resemble one of these things.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
All the creatures that have Plainswalk that currently exist do indeed have summoning sickness. Planeswalkers, on the other hand, do not; their abilities may be played the moment they enter play.

Technically they still have summoning sickness, they just don't care about it.
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Technically they still have summoning sickness, they just don't care about it.

No. Only creatures can have "summoning sickness" - Planeswalkers are not creatures.
Note that even if a Planeswalker somehow becomes a creature (Mycosynth Lattice+March of the Machines), being affected by summoning sickness will not prevent it from using its activated abilities. Only creature abilities with a or in their cost are prevented from being played.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Technically they still have summoning sickness, they just don't care about it.

You shouldn't use the word technically, because you're wrong.

In describing not being able to attack or tap the turn a creature has come under your control, it can be said that everything has summoning sickness, only creatures are affected by it.

It's just not technically the case.
It's not until you learn something you realize how little you know. DCI Level 1 Judge.
Technically they still have summoning sickness, they just don't care about it.

That was the rule a long time ago, and it remains a good way to explain it to people, but it's not what the rules actually say.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
No. Only creatures can have "summoning sickness" - Planeswalkers are not creatures.

Only creatures are affected by it. It makes it easier to get the right answer for the case where something becomes a creature to think of everything getting it as it comes under your control, but only creatures (without haste) showing any effects.

The "technical" definition:

[indent]Summoning Sickness (Informal)
The term “summoning sickness” is an informal term which describes a creature’s inability to attack or to use activated abilities that include the tap symbol or the untap symbol when it has come under a player’s control since the beginning of that player’s most recent turn. See rule 212.3f. See also Haste.


212.3f A creature’s activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can’t be played unless the creature has been under its controller’s control since the start of his or her most recent turn. A creature can’t attack unless it has been under its controller’s control since the start of his or her most recent turn. This rule is informally called the “summoning sickness” rule. Ignore this rule for creatures with haste (see rule 502.5).[/indent]
M:tG Rules Advisor
Only creatures are affected by it. It makes it easier to get the right answer for the case where something becomes a creature to think of everything getting it as it comes under your control, but only creatures (without haste) showing any effects.

The "technical" definition:

[indent]Summoning Sickness (Informal)
The term “summoning sickness” is an informal term which describes a creature’s inability to attack or to use activated abilities that include the tap symbol or the untap symbol when it has come under a player’s control since the beginning of that player’s most recent turn. See rule 212.3f. See also Haste.


212.3f A creature’s activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can’t be played unless the creature has been under its controller’s control since the start of his or her most recent turn. A creature can’t attack unless it has been under its controller’s control since the start of his or her most recent turn. This rule is informally called the “summoning sickness” rule. Ignore this rule for creatures with haste (see rule 502.5).[/indent]

Nice quote. Now quote the part that says anything other than a creature has summoning sickness but just isn't affected by it.
If this needs to be continued, please take it to Rules Issues.

There's no need to keep this thread bumped with useless semantics about an INFORMAL term.
PlaNEswalkers, on the other hand, are not Creatures.
You can play its ability as soon as you gain control of it.

How about bumping it to point out something incorrect?

You cannot play a planeswalker's abilities as soon as you gain control of it.
You may only play one activated ability of a given planeswalker each turn (so you can't play the same ability twice, nor can you play one ability and then a different ability of that same planeswalker) and you may only play activated abilities of a planeswalker during your main phase when the stack is empty.
How about bumping it to point out something incorrect?

You cannot play a planeswalker's abilities as soon as you gain control of it.
You may only play one activated ability of a given planeswalker each turn (so you can't play the same ability twice, nor can you play one ability and then a different ability of that same planeswalker) and you may only play activated abilities of a planeswalker during your main phase when the stack is empty.

None of which (at least under anything like normal circumstances) contradicts anything Feigel said. What's your point?
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
None of which (at least under anything like normal circumstances) contradicts anything Feigel said. What's your point?

It's not a matter of when you gain control of the Planeswalker. Feigel is assuming the Planeswalker was played as a spell during the controller's main phase, and I'll grant that's the most common way of gaining control of the planeswalker. However, since Feigel is a stickler for the rules when they are misused, he should note that gaining control of the planeswalker is not the same thing as having him come under your control during your main phase with nothing else on the stack.
Now quote the part that says anything other than a creature has summoning sickness but just isn't affected by it.

There is no "technical" definition of what summoning sickness is. The glossary entry is an explanation of how it affects the game, not a definition of what it "is technically." Because, "technically," it isn't. That explanation, or description, is that creatures are unable to do certain things as the result of, not the definition of, having summoning sickness.

There are two general definitions people use for what it "is;" and each of them has a group of followers who feel it is the better definition.
  • A permanent that hasn't been continuously under its current controller's control since the last time that player started a turn is "sick." But only creatures are affected by it.

The group that prefers #1 prefer it because it more closely matches the language in the rulebook. They refer only to creatures as "having" summoning sickness. In short, this is the group that favors rote memorization of the rules over practical application. But that language does not exclude non-creatures from having it, it just doesn't describe what happens to a non-creature that is sick. Not because they can't be sick, but because there is nothing special that happens to them.

Those that prefer #2 find it more intuitive, since the permanent doesn't have to gain and lose the disease as a result of changing types, which confuses newer players. They refer to creatures being "affected by" summoning sickness, but allow other types of permanents to "have" it. In short, this is the group that prefers to address how players use the rules, rather than those who merely memorize.

I want to stress that neither is wrong. But one version is prefered by WotC and their officials:

Dryad Arbor is affected by summoning sickness.
***New Keyword Ability: Persist***
* When a permanent with persist is put into a graveyard and then comes back into play, it becomes a new object. It has no memory about its previous existence in play. It has "summoning sickness."

All permanents *have* the affliction unofficially called summoning sickness. It only affects creatures, and only stops them from attacking or using an activated ability with the "Tap" symbol in its activation cost.

Rules text that reads like "Tap an untapped ~foo~ that you control: do ~bar~" requires that the permanent be able to become tapped as part of paying the cost - not quite the same, as "summoning sickness" doesn't prevent this.

This last one isn't as forceful a statement as the others - I quote it mostly because it uses the term to apply to non-creatures; but it says it doesn't do anything regardless of what it is. I couldn't find others in a quick search, but I never recall seeing an official favor #1.